These Things Take Time – FM12 Journeyman Career

ShyBaldBuddhist

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice little career so far mate. Good read :thup:.

Cheers mate. Good to have you on board :thup:

Shame Varzim were just too good.

They are immense but I took 4 points off them last year which is even more frustrating. Thanksfully they won the promotion play off so I don't have to face them next year.

Diogo is a tough loss - but surely you have, or can find someone, to replace him?

Ordinarily I would agree. The wage budget cut has killed me though. I'm restricted to £2.4k p/w and a player like Diogo wants £300 p/w so can't afford to pay it. Struggling to get a squad together at the moment as a player who would improve the remaining players enough wants £150-200 p/w. Doesn't leave me much room for back up players if I start paying those kind of wages. It's even more frustrating as the scouts keep finding stars for me. I decided to sack the scouts to stop tormenting myself.

A good season overall, should be able to push for promotion next time.

Will be more of a struggle than I imagined tbh. Varzim may have gone but Aves who replaced them look even stronger. Managed to agree with parent clubs for a couple of very good loan signings only for the players to turn me down. Loan market is poor and none of the players improve my squad.

Was a good season even though you missed out on promotion,at least you won't have to deal with Varzim.Hopefully Aves have an idiot in charge who will be able to mess things up.

Few games into the season and it appears it's Vianense who have an idiot in charge messing things up :D I can't buy a win at the moment.

Reevaulted the coming year and it's more about avoiding relegation than getting promoted. And, tbh, I'm not too confident about being able to do that.

Mid-Season Update

league.jpg

results.png

Not sure what to make of this year, looking good but the terrible start leaves me thinking it's a wasted chance at walking the league. Due to budget cuts I had to reduce my wage bill. Cleared out almost all my youth team and reserves just so could bring in a new striker and winger. By the time I had enough in the budget my first choices had already been snapped up. Jesus Briceno became my new winger, not too bad but would be a lot happier if he had some pace about him. Marcelo Diaz became my back up striker. Not really happy about him tbh but needed someone and was best of bad bunch. Results were very poor to start. The 3-0 cup win is flattering to say the least and we then went on a run of 1 win in 7. Then something clicked and we have gone on a great run. Currently 5 points of top but I think we can catch them. Merelinense are in a false position and will surely drop points soon. Aves are not as good as I thought and look to be struggling.

I have also decided that promotion or not I will be leaving. Finances are shocking and, unless a tycoon takes over, beyond recovery. The team is falling apart with players reluctant to sign new contracts. Now it looks like the ground is going to the dogs too.

ground.png

Hope I can gain the promotion to go out on a high and I will be fighting to the end but, my days in Portugal are definitely coming to an end

The board are idiots. Got some welcome news a month too late

debt.png

Means we are no longer £600k in debt. Chanced asking for bigger wage budget and they agreed. Would be great if we weren't in February and transfer window had passed. Struggling with injuries at the moment and have a CB playing CM, a youth team player who has no future in the game is currently first choice LW and I can't fill my bench. Some how we are still near the top and the debt reduction has made me think twice about leaving if we manage the impossible and get promoted.

promotion.png

Can't believe I made it this season rather than the previous two. Will be tough going up against the other 2 league winners but I have a resilient bunch of players and wouldn't put it past them managing the wins.

Well, been a decent time there if you do go.

Agree with that. I have made up my mind that I am leaving no matter what. Loved my time here and will watch out for their results for the coming seasons

2014-2015 Season Review

vianense.gif

League - Results - Squad

Summary

Can't believe I have managed to top the league. We actually got 12 points less than last season when we finished 2nd which shows how strong Varzim were. Home form leading into the promotion play off was shocking, 5 consecutive draws meant we only just managed to win the league. Had some bad luck with injuries but luckily got them all back for the play offs. So we had to play home and away against winners of the South and Central leagues. Sporting Covilha and Farense awaited and checking out their squads I wasn't too concerned too be honest. We all looked evenly matched. First match was home to Covilha and given my home form was not suprised we only managed a 1-1 draw. Off to Farense next for an end to end encounter. Lost an early goal but equalised just before the break. de Groot put us ahead on 70mins and then we came under the cosh. Made a big error and changed to a more defence approach and lost 2 goals in the last 10 mins to lose 3-2.

This left us bottom at the half way stage with the top 2 going up. Away to Covilha and we put in a great performance. Sandro put us ahead on the half hour mark and Fernandes made it 2-0 after the break. They pulled one back but we secured a 2-1 win. Covilha beat Farense home and away which meant the last game was a straight shoot out between us and Farense. Unfortunately we were at home and I was concerned. Massive crowd of 6181 turned up to see Barros put us ahead just before the interval. On 75mins he made it 2-0 and as the seconds ticked down I was too busy celebrating to notice they pulled one back in a 2-1 win. And so we topped the group to get promotion.

Seasonal Best XI

Fans Player of The Year

Managers Player of The Year

The fans suprised me by selecting Simao as player of the year. He is by far one of the best players at the club though and chipped in with a few goals again this year. I had a tough decision because in all honesty I didnt think many were performing this season. de Groot top scored but only managed 19 goals. Sandro did well but was expecting more after a great return last year. In the end it was a toss up between Pisco and Joao Paulo. I chose Paulo due to his young age. I signed him last year as back up but my assistant said he was ready for first team football and when I gave him a chance he took it. Was a lynchpin in middle of the park and helped with a few goals too.

Going Forward

left.png

Not much more to add to that. I really enjoyed my time at the club but not sure it was sustainable. The debt restructure made me think twice but then some bright spark decided to increase the stadium capacity by 4000 and cost the club another £600k. It put us in the same position before the restructure and forced my hand to a certain degree. They could only offer £3k p/w wages for the step up and thats the same I was permitted in the 2nd season at the club. Quite a few jobs available in Italian and Danish lower leagues. Also one in Slovakia I think I'll apply for but at the moment I have no idea where i'm going to be next season.

Other News

Man Utd retained the Premier league. Bayern finally won Bundesliga. Inter won Serie A. Real Madrid retained La Liga. Barca won Champions league again with a 3-2 win over Sevilla.

Great way to go out.
Great job getting that promotion!

I think you made the right call leaving and it's always nice going out on a high. Will be interesting to see where you end up next.

Cheers :thup:

Nice promotion mate :thup:.

What jobs are available then?

In Italian Serie C2/A I have so far turned down Nardo, Forli, Borgosesia and Marsala. Rejected Weymouth in BSS. Ballerup-Skovlunde in Danish 2nd Division East couldn't tempt me, despite having an excellent name. But I do have a new club, and I'm not moving too far...

job.png

150px_SC_Freamunde.png

club.png

Freamunde are my new club. Althought I would have liked to move from Portugal I really like the short seasons and this looks a good opening for me. For a start they are a professional club which is a first. Got a very good wage budget and should be able to bring in some decent players. Board and media both think mid-table which I should be able to do. Turned down a lot of jobs in Italy as I thought it was a side step but this is a forward move. Will also mean I get to keep an eye on Vianense as we are in the same league.

Not had chance to assess any of my players yet. First things first and get some back room staff.

150px_SC_Freamunde.png

squad.jpg

Overall it looks a very good squad. Not had to bring in too many new faces and the ones I have signed are for cover. My thord club also brings about my third change in formation. Out with the attcking 424 and in with a 4231 system. Barros may not be the fastest striker around but looks like he will score a few. Krstev looks a solid all round player. Tried finding a system using a DM to incoperate his attributes but decided to train him as a CM instead. Hoping he can forge a decent partnership with Joao Dias who I think has great mental attributes for a youngster. We also have quite a bit of talent in the U-19 squad with a few 5 star potential players.

I feel slightly cheated that the board didn't disclose just how bad the finances are. We are currently over £2 million in debt. Ground holds less than 4000 so won't be clearing the debt with gate receipts.

Congrats on promotion,you did the right thing in resigning due to the ever increasing debt.Good luck with Freamunde :)

Cheers. I thought I did the right thing too but now I'm not too sure. I'm in 4 times the debt at Freamunde. Vianense are getting 4 times the crowds I am and have gone professional. I think we have better reputation though and have much better players. Had a decent enough start and pleased to see Vianense are doing okay too.

You've had a great career so far.

Good luck with Freamunde :thup:

Cheers :thup:

Getting to play in the 2nd league after all.

Wanted to play 2nd league to get another shot at Varzim. They have become my arch rivals for no reason other than being a lot better than me during the 2nd season at Vianense. Unfortunately they are a lot better than I gave them credit for and they managed consecutive promotions. Currently they are sitting top of the Premier league.

Well done on the promotion, excellent work. :thup:

Good luck with your new club, what's the board's expectations like?

Cheers. Board are not an ambitious bunch. Safe mid-table is their aim, media agree with prediction of 9th. From the start of the season I thought we were better than than and are performing quite well. My aim is chalenge for promotion, not sure we are good enough to go up but I'd like to challenge.

Mid-Season Update

league.jpg

results.png

Absolutely flying at the moment after a so-so start. Just hit 6 league wins on the bounce to put me top. Was winning a few but always looked likely to concede so made a few tactical changes to make us a bit harder to score against. Even happier that it's a real team effort and not relying on 1 or 2 players. Goals and assists throughout the team and even the reserves who have come in due to injury have performed. Had a decent cup run too, getting to the quarters, before Gil Vicente beat us. The 4-1 is flattering to them as 2 of the goals came in last few mins when we went all out for an equaliser. In the league cup we came up against Varzim *spits* and nearly caused an upset. Won the first leg 3-2 with the winner coming late on. In the return leg I thought we were going to hang on despite getting battered. In the end 2 lates goals for them gave them a 3-1 win to send us out.

I think we have to achieve promotion now, 6 points clear of 3rd place means it will take a bit of a collapse to miss out. We definitely need it too due to the finances, currently we have a £2m debt. Need to start filling the ground. We are only getting around 1000 per game which is 1/4 of capacity. Transfer window at the moment and may try and shift a few out to lower the wage budget. Not sure we need to sign anyone at the moment. Just try and use the talent in the reserves and U-19 if any injuries.

I have idiot fans at the club. These are my first and second choice keepers:

comp.png

I believe Castro is overall a better player. Be happier if his eccentricity was a bit lower but by and large pretty good for his age and the level we are at. Why then have I received this message 3 or 4 times in the past few weeks.

fans.png

We are challenging for promotion against the odds and they still question me, idiots!

Just received this in my inbox:

link.png

Not sure whether to declare an interest or not. Would be moving to German 3rd division as they just got relegated. They look to have some great players but not sure they would be hanging around at the lowest level. Be a good chance to manage at a club with real history although they really have fallen since the 70's. Going to watch the football and think about this one. Any thoughts?

edit: just realised it makes it sound like I would definitely get the job if I applied. Obviously not the case but don't want to rock the boat at my current club by declaring interest if it's not a worthwhile position

2015-2016 Season Review

150px_SC_Freamunde.png

League - Results - Squad

Summary

A season of ups and downs but overall we really over achieved. Doubted we could do it when we only won 2 games in 9 but teams around us were as woeful. Not quite sure what happened as we were flying then everything collapsed. I tried a few tactical tweaks but it didn't work so in the end it was a new formation. Went from a 4231 with wingers to a 433/451 Mourinho type formation which seemed to work as we went on 6 match unbeaten streak. All players performed above what was expected and not sure most are up to the challenge of playing in the top flight. Was also good to get a decent cup run and was slightly disappointed in the way we lost in the quarters. Hoped Vianense had enough to stay up but they failed to win any of their last 14 games so the writing was on the wall really.

Managers Player of The Year

Was close run thing between Dias and Bogicevic to select my player of the year. In the end I have gone for Dias as he seemed to push us over the line at the end. The change to formation really suited him and he started scoring and assisting on regular basis.

Going Forward

The offer came in and I was undecided. Liked the idea of a challenge in a top flight for the first time but Gladbach is such a big club. I thought might as well throw my name in hat as, even if the board are unhappy, unless they sack me I should be able to win them round again. So:

offer.png

Then this happened:

image.png

And so I went from Portugals top league to Germanys 3rd tier. Although dropping down divisions I think this is a step up. I move into a 50000 seater stadium. My highest value player is £1.5m which is more than Freamunde as a club in total. I now have a transfer budget for the first time and also big expectations. I'm happy with the work at Freamunde but overall this was too big a chance to turn down.

Other News

Euro 2016 Groups A-C - Groups D-FKnockout Stages

Good show by Wales getting to the semi finals.

Chelsea won the Premier League. Bayern won Bundesliga. Sampdoria won Serie A. Real Madrid won La Liga. Man Utd beat Barca 2-1 in the final of the Champions League.

bmg.png

team_report.jpg

Borussia Monchengladbach looks like my step up to the big show. Although currently in the 3rd division I will be suprised if we don't bounce straight back up. In the long term I hope to achieve some of the success the club managed in the 70's. It's not going to be an easy task but the set up is there. 54000 seater stadium, good youth and training facilities. Finances are not great but I'm hoping to utilise the U-19's as much as possible to save on transfer fees. Was a massive squad when I took over and I was £50k p/w over wage budget. Got rid of some older players on high wages and all the deadwood. I've brought in a few new faces but only Wouter Houben is likely to be a first team regular as I was short of players who were natural at CM. The squad lloks like it be best suited to a 433/451 system similar to what I used towards the end of last year with Freamunde.

Key players are likely to be Admir Suljic in the DM role, looks very good for a 19yr old and Milos Rajsel will be operating as DLF. Not sure Rajsel will score loads but his link up play should ensure we get plenty from the wingers and CM who get into the box whenever possible.

Board expect us to challenge for the title but media are only predicting 7th. I'm going with the board on this one and think we will be near the top come end of season. Would have liked a decent cup run but have been drawn against Wolfsburg so looks like we will probably be out at the first hurdle.

Archived