These Things Take Time – FM12 Journeyman Career

ShyBaldBuddhist

Wow, how far they've fallen.

We'll back soon enough ;)

Winning the Championship and getting the job, brilliant news :D:thup:

Yeah the offer came a week or so after the title was sewn up. Was still in two minds but one look at some of the players was enough to make me sign. Konig, Kunz and Kone are three of my youth players. Don't like playing them as 16yr olds but may have to throw them in soon to give them a shot.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mid-Season Update

league.jpg

results.png

Sitting top at the halfway stage and I know I should be happy but there are a few niggling doubts about the performances. Thought we had it sorted with 6 clean sheets on the spin but since the Karlsruhe defeat in the cup we have looked frail. I can't find a system or role for my strikers that will get them scoring. Missing way to many CCC's and leaving ourselves open to the counter attack. Finances are really bad too, losing almost a million a month at the moment. Thats even with the wage budget under control and £14k under what the board set me. Think I underestimated how tough it would be to get back to the big time. Confident we can secure promotion this year but next year will probably be about steadying the ship. Happy with the youth set-up and some of the players coming through. Hoping this will save cash and we can just bring in the youngsters. We have a mid-season break now which at least gives me chance to try out something new in the friendlies.

Finally got the team performing. Winter break was very welcome as gave me a chance to tinker with formation during the friendlies. In the 4 games since we have scored 14 and conceded 0 playing very well along the way. Then I receive this message:

admin.png

I knew finances were poor but didn't see the massive loan. So no pressure from the board about securing promotion

2016-2017 Season Review

bmg.png

League - Results - Squad

Summary

Happy to get promoted but the inconsistency was frustrating. Think I under estimated the job in hand too. Due to the history and facilities at the club I imagined it would take no time to get back into the top flight. After last season I think we are a few seasons away from challenging for promotion in the 2nd division. Finances are really going to hold us back. There some great performances this year though, particularly a 9-0 away win at Werder II and an 8-0 away win at Darmstadt. Knocking out Wolfsburg on penalties in the cup another highlight but the great performances were not often enough. Happy with some of the youngsters I had to throw in. Konig was a revelation when he played, 23 games (7 as sub) and he returned 11 goals. Not bad for a 16yr old. All my big names have asked for a move at the end of season saying they want to move to a bigger club. Can't persuade any of them to stay so going to be a lot of players moving on.

Seasonal Best XI

Fans Player of The Year

Managers Player of The Year

Fans were a predictable bunch selecting Rajsel. He had a good year but should have had a lot more goals as he missed a ton of one on ones. Bit harder for my choice, Admir Suljic would probably have got it if he hadn't had a bad injury. Hard to give it to someone who only played half a season and for the same reason Andreas Konig misses out. Both were excellent in the time they played but Sievers was brilliant all year. 7.48 A.R. for a defender with only 6 goals to his name is pretty good. When he wasn't available we never looked as solid.

Going Forward

Just been issued new budgets and both wage and transfer allowances are less than last year. What happened to the £5m they gave me in March? Luckily we have a great youth set up and I will be promoting a few of them for the coming year. Going to be a change of system too. Most of my good youngsters are central attcking midfielders so I'm going ot get rid of my wingers and play 3 AMC. With 2 holding midfielders I should be able to push my full backs on for attacking width and still remain solid at the back. Thats the plan anyway. Will be a few players moving on to try and raise some funds for a new striker who can hold up the ball and spearhead my attack. Aim is to just avoid relegation, anything above is a real bonus. Not too bothered about the cup but will be trying for a decent run. Had a lot of job offers from Greece, Denmark, Belgium and Scotland but all got turned down. Think I could be at Gladbach for a few seasons, unless I get sacked.

Other News

Man Utd won Premier League, again. Dortmund won Bundesliga on goal difference (2 goals). Fiorentina won Serie A. Barcelona walked La Liga. Real Madird beat Milan 2-0 in Champions league final.

Old clubs: Freamunde only lasted a season in the top flight finishing 2nd bottom with only 3 wins. Vianense finished 8th in 2nd Division - North.

Congrats on the promotion and some very impressive wins against Werder ll and in the cup against Wolfsburg :)
Gaining promotion in your first season, great stuff. Surely less pressure now?

Cheers fellas. Pressure is really off this season. Media predict 17th out of 18. Board requirements is to stay clear of relegation. I'll be happy with 15th which is above the relegation and play-off spots. It's a building year. Been busy during the transfer window, 17 out and only 5 in making £2m profit in the process. Not that I got any of the cash mind. Had to do a bit of wheeler dealing but happy with the signings.

Celal Tufan comes in as back up RB on a free transfer. Not got the greatest attributes at the moment but scout highly recommended him. Not got any prospects at RB in the U-19's so thought I would give him a chance.

Urko is my new LB. Only £60k from Blackburn reserves and looks very good value. Versatile player too which is always handy.

James Mensah isn't exactly the strong front man I was aiming for but couldn't turn down the chance to sign him. Couldn't find a targetman worth signing so when Mensah became available for £250k it looked a decent price. Also gives me options as an AMC if required.

Milan Djordjevic has been brought in as competition for the GK spot. Both my other back up keepers had moved on and he was available on a free transfer so not much of a risk. Every chance he could end up my number one as not much to choose between the two of them.

Harun Karabulut was another free transfer and looks a great catch. Already rated my best DM and is only 19.

Just had my first run time error whilst playing. Only lost 3 league games so not too bad but when restarted I have lost Mensah for 2 months with a hip injury :mad:

Well that sucks.

I try to save once per match and roll between three different saves. Hopefully that will save me some grief once that time comes.

Well that sucks.

I try to save once per match and roll between three different saves. Hopefully that will save me some grief once that time comes.

I have a 3 file autosave, initially saving weekly, but when my errors got bad I made it before every match. Now they're not that common (probably due to removing my 4 latin american nations, especially when Brazil went) might abandon manually saving before each match (often forgetting about the autosave, making it pointless for matches 1 week after the last one) that as it slows things down a little, and redoing the little I'd lost would probably take up less time then all the saving time in busy periods.

Gladbach should be a good move. Hopefully, the finances will stabilise a bit now you've been promoted, but the board do seem like a bunch of idiots. Who on earth sells the training facilities, and then makes some extra transfer money available?!?! :rolleyes:

Should have enough about you to comfortably avoid relegation; realistically this is a club that should be in the Bundesliga!

Gladbach should be a good move. Hopefully, the finances will stabilise a bit now you've been promoted, but the board do seem like a bunch of idiots. Who on earth sells the training facilities, and then makes some extra transfer money available?!?! :rolleyes:

Should have enough about you to comfortably avoid relegation; realistically this is a club that should be in the Bundesliga!

You've got some great players there, as AK22 said you should comfortably avoid relegation. You planning on getting them secure in the Bundesliga before you leave?

When I took over I thought it would be a doddle to get them back into the top flight. Last season was a bit of a wake up call as it wasn't as straightforward as I believed it would be. I think I will avoid relegation but not sure it will be comfortable. Had a promising start but only managed a few games so far this season. I am very happy with some of my players, Konig looks destined for the top if he can carry on his development. Already a few teams interested but I have put a £20m price tag on his head. Not sure about any plans though, just seeing where the game takes me. The only German team I wanted to manage sometime during the save was Dortmund so no allegiance to Gladbach tbh. Few other teams I have my eye on managing too: Sampdoria, Everton, Valencia, Marseille to name a few. Can't be hanging around too long at one club.

Mid-Season Update

league.jpg

results.png

Things going quite well at the moment. Although results don't show it I had a promising start, winning 2 out of 3 league games and narrowly losing out on pens to St. Pauli in the cup. We were playing well and even when we went 4 games without a win I was confident it would turn around. We were also suffering with lack of first choice players at the start of the season. Suljic was still a few months away due to cruciate ligament injury, Mensah was out for 2 months (hip injury), Konig and Karabulut were at an U-19 tournament. When they all came back we went on a run of just 2 defeats in 10 games leaving us 7th at the half way stage. For a newly promoted club I'm very happy with the current position. We haven't been hammered by any team, result or performance wise, and the players are starting to find form. The squad is very young with average age of 21 so I think we can only improve if I can keep the squad together.

Been linked to a host of jobs. Preston, Middlesboro, Mechelen, STVV, Gent and 1860 Munich to name a few. None of them were appealing and with the young talent available I think I might stay around for a few years, if the board allow it obviously. Konig is developing at a fast rate. 6 clubs watching him now including Tottenham, Everton and Dortmund. Praying that no big bids come in during transfer window as I know the board will accept.

Thats a pity, not going too badly.

All my fault though. Should have put it to more regular saves. Things are going well and I think we have a very bright future.

Andrea Konig is out of this world. He's only 17!?! He's pure quality!

He's probably the best youngster I have ever had come through my youth system. After playing the games again he has been even beter and now the real top clubs are watching. Chelsea and Bayern have joined Dortmund in the chase. There a few good players in the youth set up. Trying not to throw them all in at the same time. I seriously think I could play about six of the U-19 squad and manage to get results.

Man, Sousa looks class. I wish my left winger had those stats at 15!

He does look good doesn't he :D shame I have to wait a couple of years to play him. Don't like throwing them in until they are at least 17. Made an exception with Konig last year but he is a beast of a player.

Looking good so far in 2.Bundesliga.Like the look of Sousa....is he German/Portugese with a name like that?
Solid start so far.

Cheers guys. Spot on with the guess on Sousa's nationality.

Just received 2 lots of good news:

news.png

Needed Koing to sign a new deal to keep the big clubs away. No minimum fee either which suprised me but was most welcome. Finances must be improving too. Been getting some great players through the youth system, hope the upgrade makes them train on quicker.

2017-2018 Season Review

bmg.png

League - Results - Squad

Had a massive clear out at the start of the year so thought it would be a transitional year, not so. To finish 4th is a good achievement for a newly promoted club and really we should have made the play off spot. Three straight defeats at the end of the season really cost us but no complaints overall. Had a slight change of formation after the mid-season break which spurred us on to an 11 match unbeaten run. Prior to the break performances were hit and miss but the slight change seemed to help the defence out. Was slightly disappointed with the individual performances and average ratings were quite poor for how well we did in the league. Struggled to get Mensah to perform but have a little tweak to the tactic in mind that may help him out.

Seasonal Best XI

Fans Player of The Year

Managers Player of The Year

The fans made the correct choice choosing Sievers. He was a rock at the back and also managed to chip in with a few. Would have been my choice too but as he received some recognition I will choose someone else. For me it was between Konig, Kunz and Suljic. Konig had a good season but I expected more due to his attributes. Kunz was brought in to the team as my U-19 coach said he deserved a shot. He really performed and will be a regular next year but as he only had 14 games I can't choose him. Suljic was brilliant in the middle of the park. Most assists for the season and was the one who made the team tick. At 20 he has a bright future and I hope to keep hold of him for a while.

Going Forward

No plans on major sales or signings. Slightly comcerned that Sievers wants to move to a bigger club and can't persuade him to stay. He is a big wage earner though and if I can get a couple of million for him it will probably be best for the club. I have a few very good defenders so think I will be able to replace him easy enough. Need to sign a target man for the change of tactic I have in mind. Hoping I can get someone that can hold the ball up for the advancing Mensah and Konig who will then score a load. Will need to be cheap though as only have £300k available for transfers. I'm still planning on staying for a few seasons already turned down offers from Westerlo and 1860 Munich last year. The Munich offer was very tempting due to the £9m transfer budget they could offer but in the end I think I'm building something here so want to get us in the top flight.

Other News

World Cup Groups A-DGroups E-HKnockout Stages

Victory for England \o/ usually happens a lot more often. First tournament on my save they have done well.

Man Utd won the premier league. Bayern won Bundesliga. Fiorentina win Serie A. Barcelona won La Liga. Man Utd beat Marseille 1-0 in the Champions League final.

Unlucky to miss on the promotion playoff spot, but as you said, finishing 4th with a newly promoted side is a good achievement :thup:
Great season back up.
So unlucky to miss out on 3rd, guessing the 3 defeats at the end of the season cost you?

Cheers :thup: The 3 defeats at the end were so frustrating. Was the same team playing the same system but they just struggled. It did cost me but another season in the 2nd division wont do us any harm.

So close to the promotion playoff, but as you've said, it was still a successful season. Need to find yourself a regular goalscorer, that will really help you next season :)

Having problems finding a goal scorer. Had a bid of £70k accepted for this fella. Then another 8 teams followed up with bids and the fool signed for NAC, I even offered him the better contract. Scouts aren't finding me anyone and the agents are approaching me with players that wouldn't have got in my Vianense team. The only striker in my U-19 team is Mikolajczak. Not sure he is good enough but sent him on loan to Bonn to see how he does. If he scores a few I'll give him a shot.

Mid-Season Update

league.jpg

results.png

My pre-season search for a goal scorer was tough going. By the start of the season I still didn't have anyone on my radar and my only signing was a new keeper. We then had a slow start with 4 draws in the first 6 league games. Finally one of my scouts earned their wage and found me a new striker. El Badry is my new record signing at £375k and although looks a bit raw I think he hs a future. He wasn't match fit when he joined so have just been easing him in so far. The signing seemed to spur on the team and we are now looking unbeatable. Clear at the top and playing really well it's going to take a bit of a collapse for us not to get promoted now. I'll be happier if we were putting more chances away but don't want to tinker with how we are playing at the moment to try and make that happen. Losing Sievers in the January transfer window but receiving £2.5m and already have a replacement at the club. Also leaving is Mensah. Hasn't lived up to expectations and the club are losing £200k on the deal as we only receive £50k. Not sure if he isn't as good as I thought or I just can't get him to perform but he has been a big disappointment.

Archived