ShyBaldBuddhist

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2018-2019 Season Review

bmg.png

League - Results - Squad

Summary

We are back in the big time! Great season performance wise as we dominated in every league game, even the defeats should have been wins. It's definitely going to be tough in the Bundesliga though. When we came up against Frankfurt in the cup they hammered us. The spine of the team shoukd be okay but we lack strength in depth, especially as the youth intake this year was very disappointing. Made a couple of signings in January. Jacob Andreason came in as replacement RB but played most of last year at CB due to the sale of Sievers and injury to back up players. Thorsten Jerat was bought as a replacement for the outgoing Rajsel. Recieved a bid of £2.4m for Rajsel and with finances as they are I couldn't turn it down. Jerat was offered to me by Man Utd after languishing in their reserves. I was slightly blinkered by his pace when I bought him and didn't take much notice of his other attributes. He has done really well though and it's become a good partnership with him and El Badry.

Season Best XI

Fans Player of The Year

Managers Player of The Year

Glad the fans recognised Kunz's efforts this year. He played well and chipped in with a few goals from set pieces, which is quite pleasing as he isn't the tallest of players. It would have been to easy for me to select Konig as he is the star man in the team. I went for Urko as he is brilliant at LB. Flys down the wing to start attacks and is soon back defending if things don't go well. Not sure why he doesn't get beter A.R. as his play deserves it.

Going Forward

It's going to be a tough year. Budgets have come through and there is no transfer money and wage budget only increased by £15k p/w. It's a young talented squad though and I think we can avoid relegation. May need to sell a few of the fringe players to free up some funds to improve certain positions. Would like a cup run this year too. Not had any success to speak of and it's about time I had some silverware. Don't think we can win it but would be nice to get a bit further and dream a little longer.

Other News

Man Utd won the Premier League. Bayern won Bundesliga. Fiorentina won Serie A. Barcelona won La Liga. Inter beat Bayern 3-0 in Champions League final.

Well done on promotion :thup:. Surviving in the Bundesliga sounds like it could be a struggle - good luck!
Great job on winning promotion back to the big time, be interesting to see what your young squad can do there.

Also a good choice turning down Morocco, i've found international management a bit of a chore so far.

Well done on the promotion :thup: Should get a little bit tougher now though.

Cheers guys.

Not expecting to be pulling up any trees this year. Been given odds of 2000/1 to win the league. I thought the board would back me in the transfer market but no such luck. After player wage increases for getting promoted I am over budget by £20k p/w so I'm struggling to get under budget at the moment. The scouts are annoying me again, they are recommending £1.5-3m players. They look brilliant but it's going to take a couple of seasons before I have that much cash to be spending on 1 player

Managed to make a few signings after getting rid of a few high earners on the fringes of the team. The squad is very young and I wanted some experience but couldn't find any I could afford. In the end I had to sign youth again.

Daouda Babacar cost £350k and will be my new poacher. Jerat did well when he came in last year but Babacar looks better all round. Could be a bargain.

Aaron Gebhardt and Mogamet Zane Julius both come in as free transfers to cover at the back. Not the best but should be good enough as back up.

Chardonie Mpasinkatu isn't a new signing but is promoted from the U-19 set up. Was sent on loan to Bonn last year and impressed enough to be given a shot in the first team.

Tactics

4321.pnginstructions.png

A little tactical discussion is always good so thought I would show my current formation.

The defence is pretty straightforward. FB are set as support but run with ball is knocked down to rarely. Neither of them are good enough to be taking on the opposition. I just want them further up the field to provide crosses and an outlet for the BWM if required. CB are just set as defend, no alterations to the standard set up.

The midfield was originaly a diamond shape with the DLP sat in front of the defence. I moved him into the middle as he was too far away from the AM to provide any service. Chose to have two BWM's outside him to break up attacking play and get it to the match winners. Their role is to close down and tackle hard anyone who has the ball. Had to knock down long shots to rarely though. They kept having a shot as soon as they won the ball rather than slip it to the AM or DLP.

The attack is focused on just 3 players. The AM is the pivotal role in the set up. The whole formation has come about as I wanted to get the best from Konig, he sits in the space and receives it from the BWM and DLP. From there his attributes give him all kind of options. He can either thread it through to one of the attackers, run at the defence due to very good dribbling and pace or have a crack from distance himself. I have moved the Poachers attack mentality to full and also changed through balls to sometimes. Too often he was just running at defence when there was a pass on. The DLF set up is as standard as it works pretty well as it is. With both strikers wide play set as move into channels it gives a bit of width and gives the AM room to run in to.

Team instructions haven't been tinkered with too much. A balanced and standard set up leaves me with options if I need to attack a bit more. Changed closing down to press more due to the lack of natural width. It means the BWM will get across a lot quicker. Width was turned up a few notches for obvious reasons. I have reduced the tempo and increased time wasting to give my players more time on the ball. With closing down so high, slowing down the tempo means they don't tire too quick. I think it also means that better goalscoring chances are created as the team aren't rushing things. Counter attack is chosen as I have very fast front men and if the chance arrives I want them to break quickly.

I have used several formations through this save but I think this is the best one. It is solid defensively, only conceded 19 league goals last year, and creates a lot of attacking options. Most games I will have between 60-70% possession which leads to 3 or 4 CCC's. If I had better strikers they would be getting about 40 goals a season. The test is if I can get it to work now against better teams in the top flight.

image.png

Was quite tempted by this offer. Squad is balanced and doesn't look too bad. Says their finances are okay and facilities are better than Glabbach. It was the current performances that put me off. They are currently bottom of the league after losing the first 8 games. Also got knocked out of the cup by a 2nd divison side. The club are on a gradual slump and if the offer had come in the summer I may have been tempted. Would need a couple of signings to get things going though and January is a long way off.

Nice explanation of your tactics, I like the use of two BWM's in your system and I think giving your team some width despite the narrow looking shape is crucial.

The AZ offer looks like a lot of hard work to turn the side around, probably best off sticking in Germany and seeing what better offers come your way.

Congratulations on your promotion and good luck in the Bundesliga! :)

Babacar looks like he could be quite a poacher.

Cheers. Babacar has had a good start and is training on so hope he is going to get better

I would stick with Glabach as well.
Probably better off sticking around, and seeing what you can do with Gladbach.
Nice explanation of your tactics, I like the use of two BWM's in your system and I think giving your team some width despite the narrow looking shape is crucial.

The AZ offer looks like a lot of hard work to turn the side around, probably best off sticking in Germany and seeing what better offers come your way.

Was easy to turn down AZ in the end due to limited transfer budget. Main reason I was tempted is due to being at Gladbach for so long, this is my 4th season there. I'm definitely going to see this season through and see what comes up in the summer. Been getting quite a lot of interest now. Including these two offers:

jobs.png

Never tempted by Schalke as I'm not going to move to a team in the same league. Estudiantes had me thinking about the move though. The squad is very strong and they won the opening stage of the league. Bit of money to improve the squad and they are also in Copa Sudamericana. Not managed in Argentina for a few versions of FM so it would be a new adventure with continental cups thrown in. I have turned it down as I have had a good start in the Bundesliga. We'll see what happens in the summer.

Mid-Season Update

league.jpg

results.png

After a mixed start we are now flying. Started with a brilliant 10-0 win in the cup. The league started off with difficult fixtures against Bremen and HSV leaving us pointless. The next four games could have gone either way on the balance of play but we came out on top with 7 points from a possible 12. We then hit a great patch in which we outplayed every team, apart from a hammering at the hands of Bayern. It means at the half way stage we are only 3 points of 3rd spot which is CL qualification. A bit of consistency and we may get close. Konig has started like he was meant for top flight football. 13 goals in 20 games from the AM position is a great return. If my strikers were better finishers he would have just as many assists. He puts many chances on a plate for them but they fire straight at the keeper or wide, very frustrating. Despite missing a host of chances, Babacar has made a good start with 12 goals in 20 games. I think once he has a full season under his belt he will improve a lot. We have also had the cup run I wanted and meet Wolfsburg in the quarters. Very winnable tie and we have already beaten them once.

World Player of The Year

Not posted them for a few seasons as were all the same players. Some new faces here though.

1st - Eduardo Diaz

2nd - Mathias Mari

3rd - Joe Jones

Had a solid first season in the 2.Bundesliga and congrats on winning promotion at the 2nd attempt.You've made a very impressive start to life in top flight and your not even that far off a Champions League spot :D

2019-2020 Season Review

bmg.png

League - Results - Squad

Summary

It was a brilliant season and amazing to finish 5th. European football returns to Gladbach next year as we enter the Europa League. Was a time near the end of the season I though we were going to miss out. A mini injury crisis left me playing both back up strikers and most of my midfield were missing for a few weeks. In the end we qualified by the narrowest of margins, a better goal difference of 1. Wasn't happy about the manner in which we got knocked out of the cup. Babacar was injured within the first 5 minutes and then Urko got himself sent off. We were really up against it then and never looked like winning it. Really disappointed as I thought it was a winnable competition this year.

Seasonal Best XI

Fans Player of The Year

Managers Player of The Year

Kunz received the fans vote for the second year running. It was a bit of a suprise as he wasn't as effective and only grabbed a couple of goals this year. There were a couple of candidates for me. Babacar had a great first year and proved to be a bargain at £350k. Breu was a solid keeper and almost got the vote for saving a penalty against Bayern in one of the final games. The save effectively got us into Europe due to the goal difference. I had to select Konig though. He scored and set up loads of goals and performed all season.

Going Forward

Was thinking about looking for a new job in the summer but European qualification changes all that. Planning on staying a couple more years now. I will probably take a top job to lure me away now. Plan on a few signings in the summer. Pretty much all the squad can be improved upon. Just hoping the board give me some backing and a decent transfer budget for once.

Other News

Euros: Groups A-C - Groups D-F - Finals

Surpise win for Romania. Poor showing from England who finished last in their group.

Man City won the Premier League. Inter won Serie A. Barca won La Liga. Man Utd beat City rivals 3-0 in the CL final.

Cheers B.W.G

Ended up with a decent transfer budget of £10m and sold a few off to raise an extra £2.2m. No notable players left, Karabulut is possibly the most high profile. Received £1.4m for him which isn't bad for someone picked up on a freebie three years ago. As for the incomings, I'm very happy with these fellas:

Carazinho comes in at a cost of £3m. I had no back up players of note for LB so needed to buy someone. Thought £3m is a great price for him and looks like he improves on Urko at LB.

Mauricio Ferreyra is my new record signing coming in at £10.5m. Has all the attributes I was looking for to improve my midfield. Think he will be able to do a job either as DLP or BWM. Also has great set piece attributes so hopefully we will get a few from corners as that's one area we have been lacking.

Cem Kiran cost £6.5m and slots in at CB. Improves on what we had but would be happier if he had a bit more pace about him.

Stephen Okolie was a bargain at £725k. Brought in as back up but impressed during pre-season so may get a run in the team.

In the Europa League I have been drawn against Braga. Quite a winnable tie and I think we should make it to the groups

Must be delighted with how you've done.
Great effort to finish 5th! Looking forward to seeing how your team adapt to European football next season.

Delighted is an understatement. Can't believe how well the team adapted to the top flight. Europe is a new challenge, not sure they are up to that at the moment.

Great season. Good luck in Europe :thup:

Ferreyra looks an excellent signing.

Great first season, Ferreyra looks the bees knees as well!

Cheers :thup: Very happy with Ferreyra. Definitely worth the big outlay.

Straight into Europe, a great achievement :thup:

I expect you'll be attracting some offers from some larger clubs soon.

Thanks. As for the big clubs, funny you should mention that...update to follow shortly ;)

Not Quite Mid-Season Update

league.jpg

Results

Started the season really well with four straight wins but then things went wrong. It appeared we were suffering second season syndrome. The strikers stopped scoring and at one stage we went four games with no goals. The formation and tactics were still doing the job but the front men couldn't put it away. As all other facets of the system were working I was reluctact to change. Looked like we had turned a corner until we came up against HSV. A 5-1 hammering was too much and a change was needed. Wasn't until the news items came in I realised what the change was going to be. The Chelsea job came available and I was asked if I was interested, I thought why not so declared my interest. So then this happened:

board.png

resign.png

job_offer.png

And I became the new manager of Chelsea

209px_Chelsea_FC_svg.png

league.jpg

team_re_ort.jpg

Not the best of starts for my new club. Quarter of the season down and we find ourselves in a relegation battle. The previous management had been active in the transfer market spending £61m. Unfortunately they invested in areas I don't want players. After the success of my 4312 formation at Gladbach I wanted to try it again with better strikers. The team is full of wingers though so will have to go with a 442 formation until I have the chance to move some players on. The overall squad strength is very good and I imagine we should climb out of the relegation dogfight. Only chance of Europe will be cup success or retaining the CL where we should be able to qualify for the second round. Overall I think it's a good move but would have been happier to get the job last summer with a massive transfer budget. Could be a difficult season but we should be strong next year.

Gladbach to Chelsea... Not bad at all!

How well have Chelsea done?

They have been doing suprising well in previously seasons. Awful start to this year has led to previous manager getting the boot. Not been out of top 5 for past 8-9 years

Ah, the Premier League temptation :)

Been trying to hold of going to England as I usually always start games there. Chelsea a team I usually try to avoid too. To big a chance to pass up at the moment though.

Good luck at Chelski :thup:

Cheers :thup:

That's not gone well for them so far.
Congrats on the job at Chelsea although they are in quite a bad position at the moment,you should be able to turn that round though.
Nice move to Chelski, good luck :thup:

They are doing pretty poorly in my game too, only finishing in the top 4 once in 9 seasons.

Although in a bad position at the moment it's the first year it's not gone their way. Squad is not too bad and quite balanced. Only problem is the registered squad lacks CM's. Plenty in the reserves but for some reason the previous manager though he needed to register 4 left wingers and four right wingers instead.

Has a lot to answer for the previous manager. The team is lacking a top quality striker. Quick scout around and find Jonathon. Looks like a quaility poacher and only valued at £4.2m. Quick check of player history shows he was at Chelsea and the previous guy sold him in the summer for £3.3m. I could really do with this player and now don't have a chance of signing him. Matched minimum release fee of £20m but he wouldn't even discuss a contract.

Mini update as not had chance to play much recently. Had to start with a 433/451 style formation as thats what the registered squad was better suited towards. 4 consecutive 1-1 draws before we manged to get 3 points with a 4-0 win over Arsenal. Since then we have shot up the league and currently sit in 7th place. Also into FA cup semi finals and 2nd knockout round of the CL. Due to hitting form I have abandoned the 4312 formation I wanted to use amd will keep using the wingers. 10 games left in the league and 12 points behind the CL places so, unless we win it, I think we are in the Europa league next year.

Been trying to get the board to invest in youth facilities since joining. Not much talent in the U-18 squad and don't have many home grown players. For any European success I'm going to need better facilities but they won't budge. The club is £56m in the red at the moment so probably has a lot to do with the decision.

Youth candidates have just been announced and not much talent coming through. Thomas is the best player with 4 star potential

youth_intake.jpg

image.jpg

Archived