Changes to Scouting - FM12

On the other hand, it seems that scouting competitions might be finally worth it, i got around 24 reports on a month and a half(with winter break) on a lower league and i'm getting new reports every week, the scout will even report from time to time with the amount of matches scouted, a very good change that might even compensate the nation scouting bug.

I still don't understand why scouting the next opponent and scouting a competion must be mutually exclusive though.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the other hand, it seems that scouting competitions might be finally worth it, i got around 24 reports on a month and a half(with winter break) on a lower league and i'm getting new reports every week, the scout will even report from time to time with the amount of matches scouted, a very good change that might even compensate the nation scouting bug.

Doesnt help if you want to continually scout a nation you havent loaded. There's no competition to scout then.

Really must agree on this point, this has "ruined" my enjoyment of the game as it adds unnecessary time when looking for new players

I don't exactly play the LLM way but I used to send my scouts out to each country/countries throughout the season so when I need to sign a new players I have a "database" of players in the the search engine, I then narrowed down potential targets based on scouts opinion/key attributes, I realize I may miss out on a few gems by not searching the player search for hours but it helped with the playability factor. I realize my "database" is now considered the whole player search engine but how am I supposed to search for new players when their attributes are still masked? In fact was attribute masking even considered when making this adjustment to the way scouts work?

I also don't consider scouting regions as a work around as often I want to focus on buying players from a specific country and the region scouting just seems so random. At the end of the day I like seeing a * rating for a high volume of players before making my own decision on who to bring in. With this new scouting system I just feel lost, as it is I'm struggling along anyway but if this isn't looked at I'm certain I'll return to FM 11 in the near future and feel very let down my girlfriend would have wasted money purchasing a game that seems intent on making it harder to play.

This post has come across a lot harsher than I originally intended but after the initial excitement of the new game I'm finding it hard to gain enjoyment when the playability factor has been reduced.

I just thought I'd add my thoughts on the new scouting.

I'm playing as Skarp in Norway and I'd rather like to keep to Norwegian players, as I think would be the done thing for a club of their size. The problem is that scouting Norway with my one scout returns a list of one player after one day, and the same 34 year old right back every time.

I can send my scout out to find players in Scandinavia but he never seems to get past Denmark, or at least he hasn't yet. He's been scouting Scandinavia for a few months and not moved on yet. I don't want Danish players though, I want Norwegian.

Am I limited to the staff suggestions for scouting Norway or do I have to find a scout that doesn't have knowledge of Norway to gather player reports for me?

It's rather narrowed the whole game for me. I feel pushed into using the player search function and that's not how football works, is it? Yes managers have knowledge of players themselves, but they don't have a handy list of all players.

I don't understand this suggestion that because a scout knows Norway back to front that he would return after one day and suggest one suitable player. Surely he's paid to go out and find players that might be suitable, and then let the club decide. No paid scout would dare return to his club with one player to look at.

Am I limited to the staff suggestions for scouting Norway or do I have to find a scout that doesn't have knowledge of Norway to gather player reports for me?

That's the solution for now, basically using scouting knowledge in reverse, get scouts of countries they don't have knowledge of and send them there, it's pointless sending them to countries that they have full knowledge of, they'll return one or two reports at max.

I really hope that this isn't working as intended because it doesn't make any sense at all, so i hope it's fixed soon.

I can send my scout out to find players in Scandinavia but he never seems to get past Denmark, or at least he hasn't yet. He's been scouting Scandinavia for a few months and not moved on yet. I don't want Danish players though, I want Norwegian.

I managed to find a workaround, just assign your scout to a Scandinavian (make sure the nation assignment is removed from his list) region search & cancel/reset until he starts the region assignment in Norway, it will take a couple of goes but once done he will return a much larger list of previously unscouted Norwegians's, in my test runs the scout would spend a good number of months in the first country of his region assignment.

I managed to find a workaround, just assign your scout to a Scandinavian (make sure the nation assignment is removed from his list) region search & cancel/reset until he starts the region assignment in Norway, it will take a couple of goes but once done he will return a much larger list of previously unscouted Norwegians's, in my test runs the scout would spend a good number of months in the first country of his region assignment.

Thanks Barside, I'll try that. :applause:

I agree with the general consensus that not being able to scout nations you have 100% knowledge in is bad, no matter how intended or realistic you claim it is.

This has been a great bother as I have to find scouts who specifically do not have 100% knowledge. And region searching is as stated not optimal to say the least.

We're looking into this issue, but you have to realise that a scout has prior knowledge before the games start date. This is using this knowledge. If you click his reports via his profile (rather than via the assignment) he'll have a longer list of scouted players. Thanks.

I just tried that ,, and his reports from the country i sent him to on his profile are EXACTLY the same as what he returned in the scouting assignment ,, 1 !!! So a team like Rangers sends a scout to france and all i get is ONE player for a season ?????

Scouting is something I really need to get my head around now.

I too feel totally lost when trying to scout for quality newgens - I don't really know how to. Usually I sign scouts from Spain, France, Brazil etc and send them back to their home country.

Now they should already have scout reports when I sign them, and they'll only report new finds. Is this correct?

• 9 months later...
Just to comment again, this is an issue we're investigating. More examples provided like The Enforcer of course would be appreciated, ideally though in the Bugs Forum. Thanks.

I have a few ideas for scouting.

1. It could be really great if you could assign a scout to specific countries in a region instead of having to scout the whole region. E.g. I almost never choose to include other countries than Italy and Spain from south europe, so it is annoying when sending a scout to south Europe that he spends 10 seasons+ scouting other countries than those countries that I have actual players to choose from in the game.

2. When you send a scout out you have the option to add conditions to the scout. It would be so great if you could click on a assignment and see what conditions you have given you scout and also perhaps change the conditions without having to delete the assignment and add a new one.

3. We all know that a scout can only handle one country/region assignment at the time - but why isn't it possible to stop an assignment and send the scout to another country/region without having to delete the old assignment - it should be enough to pause/stop the assignment and then still have it available to start it up again if you like.

Basically I feel that I am waisting a lot of time on creating assignments when I could be done a little smarter.

As a not to this thread - in my opinion a scout can never ever have a 100% knowledge of a country - have England as an example every year thousands of new players arrive to the leagues and one person can never have a 100% knowledge of all these players. In real life if I send out a scout and he returned one day later reporting to be done then I would fire him for not doing his job. Even though he has been scouting the same country for 20 years he can never know all players in the country there will always be new players to scout (of cause depending on the size of the country it would take more or less time to scout this country)

That was my 5 cents - thank you ....

Kind Regards,

Søren

FM player since 1992

Archived