FM2012: The West Ham United Thread - Can we Hammer the Championship first time?

Thats me second season done now, I also finished 7th, 3 points off 6th http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/eplleague.png/ and it also saw me picking up this cheeky little award http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/guvnoroftheyear.png/ - Lovely :D!

My top players of the year were Tomkins who just gets better and better, Mr Carlton Cole again with the majority of goals and Jordan Spence slotted straight into my right back position.

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/6018/tomakayear2.png

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8251/coleyear2.png

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/9209/spenceq.jpg

I'd also like to give a special mention to Sam Baldock, I wasn't sure that this lad could step up but his link up play and vital goals proved me wrong to question his ability. http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5712/baldockyear2.jpg

Squad Stats - http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/6721/squadyear2.jpg

Transfers in/out - http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9712/2ndyeartrannys.jpg

My third year i'll still be trying to keep it mainly British if I can. Some new quality will be need though if I want to push up the league. Priority position - Striker

Ill post another update when the Transfer Window closes.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Average to be honest mate.

Av. Rating 6.89, 1 goal, 2 assists - 6 yellows, 1 red

Wouldn't sign for me due to stupid wage demands, so I've opted to sign Beram Kayal from Celtic instead. Just had a cheeky look at Gago again, and now he's on a free, his wage demands are more than half of what he previously wanted before.

in the championship (first season) played 5, won 5, 15 goals for, 5 against. 3 points ahead of second placed middlesbrough.

James Tomkins is the best player with an average rating of 8.04 and 5 goals this season and 2 MOM.

Average to be honest mate.

Av. Rating 6.89, 1 goal, 2 assists - 6 yellows, 1 red

Wouldn't sign for me due to stupid wage demands, so I've opted to sign Beram Kayal from Celtic instead. Just had a cheeky look at Gago again, and now he's on a free, his wage demands are more than half of what he previously wanted before.

Cheers pal, Gago wasn't as good as I thought he would be. I hope Kayal does good for ya, on my save he went to Sunderland but underperformed. looking forward to more updates :thup:.

Transfer Window closed now. In all honesty its mad unrealistic but I had a massive budget of........28 mil!! - Unreal!

Chuffed with my activity - http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/27/3rdyeartrannys.jpg. Biggest bargain being Adam Johnson at 2mil

Regen Signings - regenpederson.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

regenromania.jpg

Expecting big things from this boy - regenfatih.jpg

First season finished second. After 11 games in the perm, I'm sitting bottom. Hoping to turn it round before I get sacked! Pretty impressed with my team, just wish they would play better. Maybe its me?

4RboOs.jpg

Well done getting Craig Dawson, I tried but couldn't for love nor money. Can you post a screenshot of all your transfer ins/outs? Cheers fella.

How are people playing Cole? Im mixing between Complete Forward and Target man, though whilst hes banged in about a goal another game Im seeing guys get more on here.

Noble and Nolan are both doing well in the Champo for me though, both got a good number of goals and assists

Ive been playing with my housemate, him as Leicester and me as West Ham. First season I comfortably won the league finishing on 111 points, having both scored the most goals and conceded the fewest. Carlton Cole got a ridiculous 50 league goals (playing as a Poacher).

My only permanent signing in the first season was Bressan, though I got Wilson, Fleck, Shelvey, Gibbs, Chamberlain, Badu and Babacar on loan at various points.

How are people playing Cole? Im mixing between Complete Forward and Target man, though whilst hes banged in about a goal another game Im seeing guys get more on here.

Noble and Nolan are both doing well in the Champo for me though, both got a good number of goals and assists

Ive been using him as a target man, but he had made 7 appearances and only scored 2 goals! Wilfried has been good and have played him with carew or macheda. but my best goal scorer has been james tomkins, 7 appearances and 7 goals! 3rd highest scorer in the championship!

First season.

th_season1.jpg

And second.

th_season2.jpg

Sitting in 19th atm. Bought in to many players I guess, they need time to gel, and they are young. If I can get out of the relegation, the future looks bright, just hope its with me!

I see you let GREEN go in the second season....who did you use to replace him? and HOW did you manage to spend so much in the first season? personally i'd never have let tomkins go, but each to his own i guess!

Last season my AML and AMR were ML and MR, and it was Matt Taylor and Bentley/Faubert. Wanted to bring a bit of creativity in this year though so made the positions more attacking.

Nolan got 6 goals, 7 assists and averaged 7.09. Not amazingly well, but he is just there to make sure we keep the ball, and to move it on to the attacking players.

Well I'm in March 2012 at the mo - 32 points clear...one more win and the league is mine after 36 games played! Have won 30, drawn 4 and lost 1 so far.

Tompkins is an actual beast...he's scored 19 goals so far this season!

Managed to get Wilfried and Macheda on loan and binned off Sears, Piquionne and Carew. Put a cheeky £3.9m bid for Macheda in January and it was accepted and is now a permanent member of the squad. Only problem being that he's not scored in 16 hours of football and I have no idea how to help him break the funk. Had numerous private chats with him where's come out promising to up his game yet still no goals. Should I expect him to be the next Vieri or have United sold me a dud?

I decided to start a West Ham save last night, and so far I've only just got past Pre-Season. I have to say, the team is pretty damned good!

Transfers

In

Ryo Miyaichi (Arsenal) - Loan

James McFadden - Free - £18,250 a week. (I wanted to use wingers, and as West Ham had no left wingers I brought in these two.)

Agustin Torassa (All Boys) - £180,000 ~ £2,800 a week. (Has had an amazing pre-season scoring 11 in 5 games, including a brace against Lyon.)

Ivan Bandalovski (CSKA(Sofia)) - £200,000 ~ £4,900 a week. (I'm using Faubert in the AML(Winger) position, so I brought Ivan in to give Demel a run for his money. Has played all pre-season games and done brilliantly.)

Out

Fanimo - Loan ~ Kidderminster

Lee - Loan ~ Dagenham & Redbridge

Sears - Loan ~ Huddersfield

Tactic

westhamunitedtacticsove.png

This will be the main tactic through-out the season, and I also have a more defensive one I used in another save for the tough away games.

Pre-Season Results

I reckon these are some great results, especially the 2 against Stuttgart and Lyon.

westhamunitedfixturesfi.png

I'm hoping the form i've seen in pre-season continues into the season. :)

hi lads... thought id start a hammers save... huge fan base, good stadium, great team that you can either keep and do well or get rid of the older generation and high earners and build from the start... plus some proper quality youth prospects in the likes of Vose, Hall, Montano, Turgott, Moncur and co...

brilliant game to play imo..

so, i decided , the team has wayyy too many high earners who just arent good enough.. so i set about getting rid, which was harder than i thought...

TRANSFERS

westhamtransfershistory.png

as you can see.. managed to get rid of faubert, reid and piq for some decent money .. which allowed me to basically build a team from scratch barring a few essentials from the team i inherited... i bought in quality for cheap...

suggest you look at the players if you dont know them! they're all awesome ..

TACTICS

westhamunitedtacticsove.png

So, this will be my main first team for the season.. and i think its damn strong.. this team could do it in the prem imo.. will update as i go

if ive missed anything out anyone wants to see or know .. just let me know .

Well I'm in March 2012 at the mo - 32 points clear...one more win and the league is mine after 36 games played! Have won 30, drawn 4 and lost 1 so far.

Tompkins is an actual beast...he's scored 19 goals so far this season!

Managed to get Wilfried and Macheda on loan and binned off Sears, Piquionne and Carew. Put a cheeky £3.9m bid for Macheda in January and it was accepted and is now a permanent member of the squad. Only problem being that he's not scored in 16 hours of football and I have no idea how to help him break the funk. Had numerous private chats with him where's come out promising to up his game yet still no goals. Should I expect him to be the next Vieri or have United sold me a dud?

Tomkins is a beast for me too, has scored as many goals in as many games played, but is out injured for 2 months and ive just had to loan 2 defenders and get one on a free as my defenders are going down with injuries! i've got macheda on loan, and he is useless! carew has played 11 games for me and only scored one goal! wilfired however is like tomkins and scores every game, but he also gets injured EVERY game, whether it is a knock or serious injury...so although he is class, i am considering selling him at the end of the season. i'm still in my first season, in november and topping the league quite nicely :)

Sorry if done I can't find it. Managing West Ham and am coming up to December in my first season. No matter how much I ask though the board won't allow me to scout further afield so I can't send scouts to Europe or South America etc. Purely allowed to scout England or Competitions. Can't quite understand it as West Ham are a biggish Club and there are no major financial obstacles and I have plenty of scouts. Is it because we are now a Championship Club?! However surely then that is where I should be looking for players, on the continent.

Can anyone advise as to why the board are not allowing my scouts to roam? Thanks.

PS Anyone have any luck with Nolan in a 4-4-2? He is not performing no matter what role I give him!!

Just completed my first season. Won the league with 100 points and a fair few games to play, could realistically have got more points but I used a fair amount of youth players the back end of the year to prep them for the prem.

Ain't done a vast amount transfer wise, so will definatly need some swindling come the start of next year with budgets ect. I got Josh McEachran on loan, Pablo Mouche (argie striker) for 130k, Paul Gallagher for 2mill and Charlie Mulgrew for 1.8 mill.

Sold Piquionne for 1.3 mill cos I dont like him and wouldn't use him. Also put out lots of youth on loan. Other major leaving was Birmingham nicking Jimmy Hampson offering him 5k a year, something I couldn't match.

Tactics wise I went for a 4 - 2-3-1

-------------Green-----------------

Faubert/Demel----Tomkins----Reid/Faye----Mulgrew----

-----------Collinson/Lansbury---Noble/McEachren----

--Bentley/Sears----Nolan---Gallagher-----

----------------Cole/Mouche----------

Got to the 6th round in the FA Cup, but that was never a real target so lost 3-1 to Villa.

Next season im looking to change tactic as my attacking one wont hold out in the prem. Defence could use some strenght in depth, will defo look to loans depending on budgets, midfield will need to replace Bentley and Lansbury and will need a new striker. Did pick up Billy Sharp for 200k at the end season, dont really know why but he may come in handy.

Hi guys,

just finished my second season with the Hammers. I have to say I'm really delighted with my results so far.

I started my first season selling off the players with too high wages, and I tried to sign as many talents as possible, since I felt confident

that the players I had could win the Championship for me. My aim was to play the young ones as much as possible, so they were ready for some premier league action. I asked for more transfer money two times and the board gave me money both times. These were my signings/sellings the first season:

skrmavbild20111110kl014.png

I created a 4-1-2-1-2 tactic and didn't actually watch one single game, I just had the commentary option. That almost backfired in the end of the season when I started loosing, but eventually I was placed 2nd with 83 points. Not that impressing, but I didn't really care.

By the end of my season my economy was really poor, since I really milked the club of all the money available. Not the smartest move, but I had confidence that my signings would soon generate some money and success for me. I had to keep myself to signing players with expiring contracts mostly. In january I also bought Diego Godin, since I got some cash from the board. I was really happy with the amount I got for Kevin Nolan, it made it possible to sign Demirci for instance:

And my starting eleven looked like this:

skrmavbild20111107kl194.png

I really like this tactic when being newly promoted, the other teams had big problems since I could pressure them out on the flanks, were they aren't really that dangerous.

I was really happy with the team I got, and I managed to keep the wages down. Aimar was initially the best buy, but gradually I faced him out of the team, when youngsters like Erik Torres became better!

It was a great season, and I actually was 1st with 5 points after 28 games, but in the last 10 games sadly I lost a bit of my momentum, and arsenal managed to pass me. Still I have to be really happy with my first season in the EPL:

My economy wasn't that good until the end of the season, but now it's good again and I look forward to the coming season!

Any tips?

I've had some problem with signing really great players, since my club reputation is only 3 and a half stars. Isn't that a bit low?

Starting my 3rd season, this is my starting eleven:

skrmavbild20111112kl124.png

Since my economy isn't the best I believe in giving some of my youngsters a bigger responsibility. They have really progressed, especially Erick Torres and Fierro! As you can see Diarra is injured, otherwise he's got the DMC spot!

As you can see I also managed to buy Angel Di Maria! I had to sell Mark Noble and Jack Collison to get him, which felt really bad. But I think he'll be worth it, do you?

Just finished my first season.

104 points, 32 wins 8 draws and 6 losses. 16 points ahead of Birmingham.

Highest scorer was Wilfried with 19

Highest assists was Matty Taylor with 16

Highest man on the match awards was james mcfadden and abdoulaye faye with 5 apiece

worst discipline was Winston reid 7 yellow 2 red

Best player on average was james Tomkins with 21 appearances and an average rating of 7.62

I am now looking at losing Carew, Faubert, O'Brien, Boffin, Fry, Montano on frees as I do not see the need to renew their contracts.

my aim now is to secure a goalkeeper for the future, a GREAT centre back to partner tomkins and a young, good striker

yep. he is, but he had proven very useful as cover!! what are people doing to cover the right mid situation once bentley has gone?? i've only got faubert, and he is far from my standards now! i have just been promoted into the EPL and am in my second season

Anyone manage to get Lansbury on loan again second season from Arsenal? He says "He has no intention on going on lan to West Ham". Bit harsh seeing as he seemed to enjoy it first year and says in his info screen that "He hopes to go on loan to get some first team experience." Surely if IRL he goes on loan to West Ham in the Championship he should in game go on loan to West Ham now they are in the Premiership. Bizarre!!!

Plus a massive transfer budget in the second season of £0, how did the fella above get £28 million???!!!

my transfer budget was ten million. got a midfielder who is AWESOME, chap called PRIETO, i think it was. he played for a spanish team, and was the best RM. with lansbury gone, i needed good right mid cover, but he was so good that he may now be first team!! could get rid of mcfadden i think..... got him for 7 million upfront, with 3 million over 2yrs and stech going the other way, and 5million for martin skrtel. desperately needed a good defender who was proven in the premier league.

anelka was on the transfer list, but wouldnt join. adebayor WOULD join, however his 140k per week wage demands prevented him joining. wanted beckham initially before prieto, but beckham wouldnt join for whatever reason after leaving LA galaxy.

Will be starting the first EPL games of my second season tomorrow and will hopefully keep you all updated :)

i did intend to get a replacement for the future departure of green, but after playing cowler for the last few games in the championship, tutoring and giving him a specific training regime, his PA improved and is now seen to have to ability of being slightly better than green, so I have decided that he will be the league cup GK choice! :)

After grabbing a couple of signings with my poxy £0 transfer budget suddenly Adam Johnson becomes available for £4 Million. He will come I can afford his wages but no money for the transfer fee, even over 48 months. Noone to sell so it's a disaster!!

Wilfried agreed terms but he didn't get a work permit. Am I playing a different game to everyone else?!

Plus after all that with Lansbury he goes on loan to relegated QPR. The transfer system is seriously bizarre!!

After grabbing a couple of signings with my poxy £0 transfer budget suddenly Adam Johnson becomes available for £4 Million. He will come I can afford his wages but no money for the transfer fee, even over 48 months. Noone to sell so it's a disaster!!

Wilfried agreed terms but he didn't get a work permit. Am I playing a different game to everyone else?!

Plus after all that with Lansbury he goes on loan to relegated QPR. The transfer system is seriously bizarre!!

can you not get adam johnson on loan until the end of the season at least? have you secured any good free signings?

can you not get adam johnson on loan until the end of the season at least? have you secured any good free signings?

Tried that but again couldn't afford the £1 Million loan fee. Just can't believe I got a £0 transfer budget after getting promoted.

Brought in :

Michael Carrick - 1.2 M

Craig Dawson - 2.2 M

Simone Pepe - Loan Fee 1 M

Khalid Bouluhrouz - Free

Sold

Demel - 1.2 M

Illunga - 875 K

Piquionne - 350 K

Carew - Free

Diop - Free

The board are so stingy though with that pathetic transfer budget and won't even find a feeder Club.

Plus a massive transfer budget in the second season of £0, how did the fella above get £28 million???!!!

If refering to me mate, 28 mil was for the start of me second season in the prem, third season in total. I had 8-9 mil first season back up, i've posted all my screenies in here pal.

I'm back after a break on another save. Just finished me second season in the prem now, 7th place again which i'm happy enough with.

I didnt have major transfer activity in January, but I brought in Danny Welbeck for 1.7 mil and Downing on loan for the remainder of the season.

Yet again my main man for scoring is Carlton Cole with 26 in all comps. My player of the season was Adam Lallana, if you can buy this lad, do it!! Hes now a constant in the England side and gets me assists galore from the right wing. Another plus point for him is his versatility, right and left mid, centre mid, att mid - the lot!

More updates when the window closes.

I'm back after a break on another save. Just finished me second season in the prem now, 7th place again which i'm happy enough with.

I didnt have major transfer activity in January, but I brought in Danny Welbeck for 1.7 mil and Downing on loan for the remainder of the season.

Yet again my main man for scoring is Carlton Cole with 26 in all comps. My player of the season was Adam Lallana, if you can buy this lad, do it!! Hes now a constant in the England side and gets me assists galore from the right wing. Another plus point for him is his versatility, right and left mid, centre mid, att mid - the lot!

More updates when the window closes.

What position do you play cole in? do you have him on left or right, and is he a target man or anything like that? I am struggling to get performances out of him. Wilfried is my star striker. in my second season of the game. beat liverpool, but in 2 or 3 games i have only got 3 points. lost to man city. next game is against QPR. just hope I can beat them.

I bought Xabi Prieto to go on RM, and his attributes are excellent, but his performances so far have not been very good....

Will give another post in a few hours :)

just started a west ham save and i'm playing a 4-2-3-1 with kevin nolan playing behind cole and scoring a few goals but with the busy championship schedule i need a good young amc to play in the lesser games and eventually take over from nolan! Any ideas welcome!

Archived