265 members have voted

1. 1. Best Formation for 2011?

• 4-4-2
    • 4-3-3
    • 4-2-3-1
    • 4-4-2 Diamond
    • 4-5-1
    • Other

A formation alone is completely meaningless. If you play a 4-4-2 with one deep lying forward and two attacking wingers how is it different from a 4-2-3-1? Likewise if you play a 4-3-3 with one more advanced midfielder and two wide strikers how is it different from a 4-2-3-1? And if you play that 4-3-3 with one deep midfielder in the MC more defensive and the FC as deep lying forward how is it different from a 4-4-2 diamond? You can give me a tactic and I can come up with 3 or more formations you could name it. Only if you go into more specifics regarding the players actual position and movement does a formation tell you something about the tactic.

That said I'd probably go with the 4-1-2-1-2 (narrow diamond) which I have been using lately. The only difference being that I play one of the strikers as AML so he comes from deep and wide while the MCr starts narrow and wide in the attack. The right striker plays more of a deep lying forward role and plays in the AML, AMC and MCr. The MCl and DMC stay deep and the fullbacks go forward if I'm on the attack to give some wide options when recycling possession.

For the last few years I have thought that the 4-1-2-1-2 formation gave the best options in defence and attack as it was so difficult getting a wide/winger tactic to be consistent but a few weeks back after reading a post stating that wingers were working better in FM2011 than in previous editions I started experimenting first with a 4-1-2-2W-1 tactic and found that it was much stronger after moving the DM up into midfield in a 4-3-2W-1 formation. In my midfield I have the MCR as a Box-Box Midfielder, the MCL as a Ball Winning Midfielder and the MC as a Deep Lying Playmaker all on Support. This has been the most successful tactic I have yet built and apart from using personal team settings in the Tactic Creator Advanced settings, giving the MC specific instructions and setting all players to Rarely longshots the rest are all default player settings. amazing tactic really.

With all the work SI have done to give wide players a fairer deal in FM11 I think that the wider formations have really come to perform to a more realistic level. I voted for 4-4-2 just simply because I have always struggled with it in previous versions but this year I have had alot of success with the flat 4-4-2 and all its many varients (from moving wingers to AMR/L, moving CMs to DM, and even using a Villareal inspired 4-2-4ish system).

However that said I think the most important thing in FM11 tactics wise is that for me anyway there hasn't been a formation which is particuarly hard to counter (coming up with a system to beat Arsenal's 3-2-3-2 took a while), all the formations balance out preety well and apart from some annoying behavior with 3 man defences I think that the ME has been preety good tactically.

At the moment, 4-4-2 with AML/AMR, 4-2-3-1 wide and 4-2-3-1 narrow.

I'll switch between those three from game to game, or even use all three during the course of a match. I've a flexible enough squad that can work with them and they're all fully "fluid" when it comes to match preparation.

For me, it's all about having options. If I can improve my current team further, then next season I may try to add a 4-5-1 into the mix as well.

That's where it's disappointing that the match preparation screen only lets you follow three different tactics/formations. Although I know that it would generally take between 10-15 matches for a new system, that uses common positions and roles as the other formations, to be fully "fluid". Quicker if I change the workload intensity.

As for which formation is best, it's entirely subjective and any shape can work well, if you've dovetailed suitable player attributes with positions and roles within the formation.

4-4-2, I try keeping it basic and simple after botching up at Malaga trying a 4-2-3-1.

So far I've only tried in the lower leagues over two saves have a record of 7-1-3 which isnt too bad. Will have a go at it with Valencia in a few days so if it the basics work well in the top flight.

I've mainly been using 4-4-2 lately. Just enjoying playing with two strikers up there and the challenge of playing with this formation.

I take it that the 4-3-3 in the poll is the narrow one with three central strikers. Isn't this almost a 'cheat' formation on FM10 and 11? Each time I see someone using this 4-3-3, they are overachieving and scoring tons and tons of goals!

I've mainly been using 4-4-2 lately. Just enjoying playing with two strikers up there and the challenge of playing with this formation.

I take it that the 4-3-3 in the poll is the narrow one with three central strikers. Isn't this almost a 'cheat' formation on FM10 and 11? Each time I see someone using this 4-3-3, they are overachieving and scoring tons and tons of goals!

Perhaps I'm biased as I use my own flat 4-3-3 and whilst I do score a lot of goals, I wouldn't say it's a cheat tactic.

4-4-2 with AML/AMR. Been using it since the 1st patch and is still working, haven't even had to change a thing between 11.2 and 11.3.

In a way it's frustrating as I find it an highly unrealistic tactic, nobody plays like that nowadays really. It also isn't the prettiest of football styles, one of the key elements is the amount of corners it wins and therefore I rely a lot on goals from corners (not using the cheat routine, btw). Nevertheless it makes for lots of entertainment because it's such an attacking, frenetic tactic, I score and concede loads of goals every year. It's also good in terms of squad management because very few players do not fit my tactic, it's not like last year when only narrow tactics seemed to work so I had to ignore every good winger I spotted.

"Best" formation depends upon the players you have at your disposal. If I'm at a club long enough I generally buy players to adopt either a 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 depending on which players I can sign though.

i have tried all

4312 seems to do damage

online thou , as i play in a clan the only formation that is truly stable and capable of destrying teams is 433

I agree 4-3-3 is strong and very nice to watch

Haven't tried a flat 4-3-3 for a while, certainly not this year so I can't pass comment on that.

I've been using a wide 4-2-3-1 with MC's and I really like the shape when you're defending and pressing and the AMC and ST work well together if set up right, not as well as 2 Strikers but good enough. I did like using the 4-4-2 with AML/R's earlier on but that doesn't really have the defensive shape I wanted but I enjoyed the attacking football it created.

what's the difference b/w 4-5-1 and 4-3-3. My 4-5-1 team is TM, Left IF, Right W, Left CM, Right B2B CM, DLP at DM, 2 Auto FB, 2 CD, Sweeper GK

Barcelona and porto play a 4-3-3 not 4-5-1 just to give an example 4 defenders, 3 midfields, 3 strikers goals goals goals

Porto DEFINITELY don't play 3 central strikers. Hulk may be capable of playing as a striker but plays almost always as an inside forward from the right wing. Whereas on the other flank you'll see Varela or James often going very close to the touchline as their primary position to receive possession. Now whether a AML / AMR / ST trio is considered a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1, it's semantics.

I'd also argue that Barcelona don't even play a striker (they use two inside forwards and a false nine) though in FM terms to replicate their tactic you may want to use a flat 3 STs with particular settings.

Proper 4-3-3 sides play with wing-forwards though, don't they? Strikers or forwards who play on the wing. True forwards who don't particularly track back and who mainly press in defensive terms.

4-5-1 sides generally play with wide players who are considered to be part of the midfield and do track back etc.

Proper 4-3-3 sides play with wing-forwards though, don't they? Strikers or forwards who play on the wing. True forwards who don't particularly track back and who mainly press in defensive terms.

4-5-1 sides generally play with wide players who are considered to be part of the midfield and do track back etc.

My Left Inside forwards tracks back despite being on attack duty, while the right attacking winger rarely comes back. Both are supported by a a auto CM & B2B on their side respectively.

i find that the 4-3-1-2 is my preferred formation. however, if you want to be successful in fm you generally must have a plan b, and sometimes a plan c. my teams usually are able to play 4-3-1-2, 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 and 4-5-1/4-3-3 depending on the circumstances. which is much like real life football.

of course, you must have the right players to make any formation work.

Archived