How To Play FM07: Tactical Design and Management Strategy

Good day fellow FM lovers. I have been using these tactic sets for a while now and they have brought me some sucsess but i find it very difficult to play against teams who either use a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3. Has anyone else encountered this problem if so how have you countered it.

P.S Well done wwfan for creating these tactical framworks, they rock

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheWhileyFox:

Good day fellow FM lovers. I have been using these tactic sets for a while now and they have brought me some sucsess but i find it very difficult to play against teams who either use a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3. Has anyone else encountered this problem if so how have you countered it.

P.S Well done wwfan for creating these tactical framworks, they rock </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are quite defensive tactics and therefore i would use control. This would be the best suited as i gather that they are using those tactics because you are the better side, therefore you need a slow offensive tactic that can break them down. Be prepared thought to switch to either possession or counter if you have taken the lead as they WILL come back at you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheWhileyFox:

Cheers Arsenal71 i will give your sugestion a go </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NP thats what we are here for, to help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Arsenal71:

They are quite defensive tactics and therefore i would use control. This would be the best suited as i gather that they are using those tactics because you are the better side, therefore you need a slow offensive tactic that can break them down. Be prepared thought to switch to either possession or counter if you have taken the lead as they WILL come back at you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gave this a go in my last match against Newcastle. They lined up with a 4-1-4-1 and i beat them 3-1. I am Man City using the weegie update

wwfan:

U dont mention passing settings in your "setup" guide. Can u plz fill me in? icon_smile.gif

Im using your Counter & Attack setup a lot, and i allways have passing slightly towards direct. How will u comment on that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kaz_1983...:

Does anybody know or have the link to this tactic set by wwfan... I have tried to make my own by I'm not sure I did the player instructions correctly?

Can somebody could help me please... icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The link to the tactic download is at the bottom of his very first post on page one icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Arsenal71:

They are quite defensive tactics and therefore i would use control. This would be the best suited as i gather that they are using those tactics because you are the better side, therefore you need a slow offensive tactic that can break them down. Be prepared thought to switch to either possession or counter if you have taken the lead as they WILL come back at you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gave this a go in my last match against Newcastle. They lined up with a 4-1-4-1 and i beat them 3-1. I am Man City using the weegie update </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats good to hear, just remember to use it sparingly and monitor their formation. As soon as they change you need to chage to a more counter attacking formation. Thats whent he Posession or counter should be used. Beware though that the counter can be too defensive so you need to monitor this too.

Hey, a set of nice tactic over here.

I have been using it for my Man Utd team and it seems like I have not much of trouble putting the goal in but I seriously not too happy about the goal that leaked in.

From what I observed via the 2D match engine, my defenders seems very prone to attack when my opponent attacking from the flank and cross in to the middle and score. I would appreciate if anyone could help me to improve this situation. Oh and btw, most of the time I'm using attack and control formation.

So from what you are saying on the tactic side of events, you could theoretically play with a 4-4-2 formation, have your team for all extremes of play, and swap to each during what game you are playing and it should work?

Along with the three other aspects you included. But from the tactic side of events that is the key right?

Umm, I have a piece of advice, I don't think it's worth a whole topic of it's own, and this seems a pretty good one when it come to general advice and the like (well, judging by the first page).

Do not make a tactic and fit players into it, fit the tactic around the players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCIAG:

Umm, I have a piece of advice, I don't think it's worth a whole topic of it's own, and this seems a pretty good one when it come to general advice and the like (well, judging by the first page).

Do not make a tactic and fit players into it, fit the tactic around the players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is something you could easily write a whole guide about. The thing is, its basically telling people how to suck eggs. Of course there will be some people not to know this. That is why a guide on it could be worthwhile.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dayle Wood:

I just used the defensive tactic to play against Chelsea at Stamford bridge. I lost 7-0.

So not that impressed by these tactics. No offense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I know playing deep defensive line against Chelsea is suicide.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kaz_1983...:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dayle Wood:

I just used the defensive tactic to play against Chelsea at Stamford bridge. I lost 7-0.

So not that impressed by these tactics. No offense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I know playing deep defensive line against Chelsea is suicide. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah. Stamford bridge is the hardest match to win for away sides I think.

Even playing well it requires immense luck to win there.

wwfan - I have met Chelsea again at Stamford Bridge and went to halfway goalless using the control tactic.

But was concerned that if not for a little luck they would have scored as it was pretty intense pressure so at half time reverted to the counter attack tactic.

I scored, they went to a 424 and I in turn went to the defensive tactic as an answer to it.

I held on and won 1-0.

lots of good tips in here. if i couldt remember them all id have a diploma football lol.

In your opinion m8 what is the pro or cons with having a flat 4 back line set to the same mentality ond freedom roles. the only thing i have different is crossing and forward runs for the full backs etc..

i find some times my defence don't sit tight enough together so i tried setting them all the same.

Hi wwfan

I'm playing with almighty Guiseley in my first season in Conference North. I was trying out the Play FM tactics when I saw you post that really the RoO/RoT tactics were better for LLM. Am I right in thinking that you developed the RoO set as an improvement on the RoT set because of the evolution of the AI? Should I therefore be using the RoO set as opposed to RoT?

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saab693:

Hi wwfan

I'm playing with almighty Guiseley in my first season in Conference North. I was trying out the Play FM tactics when I saw you post that really the RoO/RoT tactics were better for LLM. Am I right in thinking that you developed the RoO set as an improvement on the RoT set because of the evolution of the AI? Should I therefore be using the RoO set as opposed to RoT?

Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey mate - rule of two is pretty ineffective in 07. Rule of one has succeeded it.

Rule of two does work with one or two formations but the 4-4-2 in particular now works best with rule of one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saab693:

Hi wwfan

Cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey mate - rule of two is pretty ineffective in 07. Rule of one has succeeded it.

Rule of two does work with one or two formations but the 4-4-2 in particular now works best with rule of one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers Dayle, thats what i thought. Would you recommend adjusting the RoO set at all or play them as they come downloaded?

I adjusted them to accomodate my team. Individual instructions is what I am talking about.

In particular: Creativity - make sure anyone with high creativity settings has good creativity and also decisions.

Long shots - depending what level you are at really but 15+ should be the attribute for a player if you give him this instruction (at the top levels).

Through balls - only give a player this OFTEN if he is good at passing and to a slightly lesser degree, decisions.

Run with ball - obviously dribbling is important here otherwise if it's someone like Beckham, let his passing be his main focus not dribbling.

Basically what I am saying is consider your players individual attributes when assigning their instructions.

As with all tactics the person who made the tactic has either built it with their own team in mind or have made the settings very general. So you need to realise that when you adapt it to your own team.

Yes absolutely. I'm assuming you are playing at a high level, anyone with tackling attributes below 15 at top levels shouldn't be hard tackling.

Passing - 15 is the magic number for me. Above that those are the players I would allow to try through balls more often than others since their accuracy is likely to be better.

In my side and for all my tactics I have the defence generally on direct passing which eliminates dangerous back and sideways passes. My midfield would be on mixed and my forwards on shorter passing.

Closing down for me really depends on if I am playing home or away and whether I am sitting back or trying to pressure the AI.

Is there a particular area you are unsure about?

Yes absolutely. I'm assuming you are playing at a high level, anyone with tackling attributes below 15 at top levels shouldn't be hard tackling.

Passing - 15 is the magic number for me. Above that those are the players I would allow to try through balls more often than others since their accuracy is likely to be better.

In my side and for all my tactics I have the defence generally on direct passing which eliminates dangerous back and sideways passes. My midfield would be on mixed and my forwards on shorter passing.

Closing down for me really depends on if I am playing home or away and whether I am sitting back or trying to pressure the AI.

Is there a particular area you are unsure about? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um playing with Guiseley so no, 10 is a luxury stat in the conference north! Thanks for the advice. I'm playing on the assumption that 10+ is the equivalent of 15+ in that division so have set up instructions accordingly

Really just looking to adapt the tactic to best suit my side

Amazing thread wwfan, Will really help me.

I have a question though... I have clicked the link to download the Tactic Set but it comes up with loads? Which one is the correct one i need to download?

Thanks.

Um playing with Guiseley so no, 10 is a luxury stat in the conference north! Thanks for the advice. I'm playing on the assumption that 10+ is the equivalent of 15+ in that division so have set up instructions accordingly

Really just looking to adapt the tactic to best suit my side </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah mate at that level 10 becomes the magic number.

Are you one of the better sides in that league or not really rated? That would be a consideration to in terms of whether to play strong attacking football or counterattacking game.

Really just looking to adapt the tactic to best suit my side </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah mate at that level 10 becomes the magic number.

Are you one of the better sides in that league or not really rated? That would be a consideration to in terms of whether to play strong attacking football or counterattacking game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I was newly promoted so expected to go straight back down. I'm up to 7th in the league though using the RoO set. What would you recommend?

wwfan- have just found this thread- how have I missed it altho in defence I do have the TTandF thread bookmarked.

With every new version of FM, I, along with thousands of others, eagerly await your first thread and get some sort of understanding on how to beat or at least combat the AI. I spend hours and hours desigming tactics, based on yout excellent theories and use them to extract maximum enjoymemt out of this immensely frustrating and addictive game.

Just when I think I have it cracked, along comes another of your excellent threads and its back to the drawing board again, usually changing some of the set-in-stone rules. I have just printed out the first post and even my long suffering wife has commented that she thought I had got the tactics right months ago

Anyway, just to echo what many others have said in here. Our continued thanks and appreciation for all your efforts and work in trying to make this game more enjoyable for all of us. It is a game after all and altho prety close to the real thing will always have some anomolies which your theories go a long way to explain.

I am off now to the drawing board! icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neckus:

Im struggling not to download the set as I dont want premade tactics made by someone else but I keep losing so eventually i going to have to download tactics or throw fm out of the window. Two options... hmmm... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Compromise is the answer:

Download the tactics, make a few minor changes, rename them to your own then convince yourself that they are home-made and not bought!

Just a quick question: If things are working do you then change during a match? Example: You are playing against an attacking team and have success and go in the lead with the counter. They then change to a defensive formation. Do you then change accordingly, or?

Same question the other way around. If you play against a defensive team and they switch to attacking etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Betis_DK:

Just a quick question: If things are working do you then change during a match? Example: You are playing against an attacking team and have success and go in the lead with the counter. They then change to a defensive formation. Do you then change accordingly, or?

Same question the other way around. If you play against a defensive team and they switch to attacking etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I am a weaker side, I change a lot. If I am stronger I only change at vital moments, usually for the last 15 mins or so if I have a narrow lead.

wwfan - have spent the last few days employing your tactics and have come to the sad conclusion that there is something wrong.

I am playing with Man Utd. My pre-game preparation goes thus:

1. scout report . Say the scout tells me Arsenal for example are playing a slow possession based game and I will need to play deep.

I read that and I assume you would too to mean that a faster attacking based tactic such as your attack tactic is the way to attack this match. Yet when doing so I was beaten 7-1 despite having a slender advantage in possession. I was playing away.

2. formation at beginning of game.

Reading your original post which outlines what tactics to use against AI formations I attempt to do this yet there is not discernible signs that I am getting the upper hand.

In fact playing away can at best be described as a lottery, if I score it is not because I am playing better.

This is in spite of the fact that I have implemented the right tactic to play vs the Ai and have used theories within the tactics bible.

3. opposition instructions Whoever their key man is peceived to be I give instructions depending on where I see his weakness as being. If he is not brave I hard tackle him, if he is left foot only I play him onto the right foot. Yet again I see no difference and I have even had key players score 3 goals against me, and bearing in mind I am Man utd and have far superior players to them on most occasions.

I am not abusing you or having a bitc*h. I am simply of the view that even following the tried and tested tactical observations by the sage folk like yourself is no answer.

I have invested in your tactics fervently and am at a complete loss as to why I am actually getting worse instead of better! I am going backwards!

(sorry - having a bad couple of months of deteriating results and it has severely hampered my enjoyment of the game). Please don't take this as abuse to you as it is not intended that way.

wwfan - have spent the last few days employing your tactics and have come to the sad conclusion that there is something wrong.

I am playing with Man Utd. My pre-game preparation goes thus:

1. scout report . Say the scout tells me Arsenal for example are playing a slow possession based game and I will need to play deep.

I read that and I assume you would too to mean that a faster attacking based tactic such as your attack tactic is the way to attack this match. Yet when doing so I was beaten 7-1 despite having a slender advantage in possession. I was playing away.

2. formation at beginning of game.

Reading your original post which outlines what tactics to use against AI formations I attempt to do this yet there is not discernible signs that I am getting the upper hand.

In fact playing away can at best be described as a lottery, if I score it is not because I am playing better.

This is in spite of the fact that I have implemented the right tactic to play vs the Ai and have used theories within the tactics bible.

3. opposition instructions Whoever their key man is peceived to be I give instructions depending on where I see his weakness as being. If he is not brave I hard tackle him, if he is left foot only I play him onto the right foot. Yet again I see no difference and I have even had key players score 3 goals against me, and bearing in mind I am Man utd and have far superior players to them on most occasions.

I am not abusing you or having a bitc*h. I am simply of the view that even following the tried and tested tactical observations by the sage folk like yourself is no answer.

I have invested in your tactics fervently and am at a complete loss as to why I am actually getting worse instead of better! I am going backwards!

(sorry - having a bad couple of months of deteriating results and it has severely hampered my enjoyment of the game). Please don't take this as abuse to you as it is not intended that way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Firstly i presume you used th attatc formation as that is the "Fast" tactic? If you did use this then id say it was pretty suicidal against arsenal. I would have probably started either with possession or counter and assess after about 20 mins what they are doing. If they are getting too much of the ball i would stay as the above and hope for a break away goal. If they arent really creating many chances then id have a go at them with attack. Contol wouldnt be that suitable unless you need to break them down as they are defending a lead.

Remember assess what the other team is doing if you feel you can win attack if not then be cautious. (counter/possession). Only use control when you are the huge faviourites against a defensive formation.

Hope this helps.

Firstly i presume you used th attatc formation as that is the "Fast" tactic? If you did use this then id say it was pretty suicidal against arsenal. I would have probably started either with possession or counter and assess after about 20 mins what they are doing. If they are getting too much of the ball i would stay as the above and hope for a break away goal. If they arent really creating many chances then id have a go at them with attack. Contol wouldnt be that suitable unless you need to break them down as they are defending a lead.

Remember assess what the other team is doing if you feel you can win attack if not then be cautious. (counter/possession). Only use control when you are the huge faviourites against a defensive formation.

Hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey mate - counter is a slow tempo and possession is a medium tempo so they surely are unsuitable against the slow tempo by the opposition?

Hope this helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hey mate - counter is a slow tempo and possession is a medium tempo so they surely are unsuitable against the slow tempo by the opposition? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the way i would play against a high quality team. If they were of lesser quality and you were superior then i would play much faster to break them down. Generally i would say that team that play slow would be either HQ teams or teams that are playing away as they wouldnt want to give the ball away.

I concur with Arsenal71. I would never, no matter who I am, play away to Arsenal with Attack. I would almost certainly use Counter, maybe, just maybe possession if I were heavy favourites.

I think you are mixing theories too much, Dayle. I don't talk about scout reports. I only suggest using pre-match odds, personal judgement and passing/possession percentages to read a match.

If you are playing at Arsenal away the odds should be short and personal judgement would lead me to choosing to play them on the counter, no matter who I was. If the match stats stayed in my favour I would keep with that formation. If they weren't I would change.

Arguably Attack only really works at home against the 4-4-2 short-farrows or equivalent formations. Against them it rocks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wwfan:

I concur with Arsenal71. I would never, no matter who I am, play away to Arsenal with Attack. I would almost certainly use Counter, maybe, just maybe possession if I were heavy favourites.

I think you are mixing theories too much, Dayle. I don't talk about scout reports. I only suggest using pre-match odds, personal judgement and passing/possession percentages to read a match.

If you are playing at Arsenal away the odds should be short and personal judgement would lead me to choosing to play them on the counter, no matter who I was. If the match stats stayed in my favour I would keep with that formation. If they weren't I would change.

Arguably Attack only really works at home against the 4-4-2 short-farrows or equivalent formations. Against them it rocks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tend to play all the big clubs on counter away from home and even at home too sometimes. Regardless of who i am also.

I'm absorbing it all like a sponge! icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to look at the instructions (minus slider talk). Attack is telling the team to play an extremely high defensive line, the full-backs to get forward nearly all the time and the whole team to play fast, aggressive football that commits people forward at the expense of the defence. In real life, do you think that would succeed against Arsenal at The Emirates? Or would they spank the team that tries it 6-1?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wwfan:

I'm absorbing it all like a sponge! icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to look at the instructions (minus slider talk). Attack is telling the team to play an extremely high defensive line, the full-backs to get forward nearly all the time and the whole team to play fast, aggressive football that commits people forward at the expense of the defence. In real life, do you think that would succeed against Arsenal at The Emirates? Or would they spank the team that tries it 6-1? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I've made my own tactics though I have relied on your theories pretty heavily.

From the start I have made I made these observations:

Control style is the more patient attacking game relying on keeping the ball and making QUALITY chances. Therefore this is generally a good style to start with. (with the exceptions of Stamford bridge and Emirates of course!)

Attack style is more carefree and perhaps a little more desperate. I don't think I'd use this away from home unless I was chasing a game. Do you thin the attack style is similar to the 4-2-4 or is it not that aggressive?

Defence style I have modified quite a bit by sarrowing the strikers and playing the ball down the wings to running wingers. Other than that everyone else stays back. This seems to be very effective against the 4-2-4.

Counter and Possession I have not used to much. I suspect those Stamford Bridge games are where I will use Counter.

Possession I can't see being used much. Could be wrong though.

Control is best for games in which you know you are hugely superior and will come up against the proverbial 'brick wall'. Once you are world-class you will use it at home 100% and away against all the smaller teams.

Attack is for home games when you are less certain of your superiority. Be very wary of using it away. It is actually less potent than Control but destroys the 4-4-2 short-farrows when you are at home.

Possession become very useful away from home as your reputation rises. Until then it is of little benefit unless playing away in a cup game against lower division opposition.

Counter is the default away tactic until you have a seriously good reputation. Then Possession and Control kick in.

Defend against teams that outclass you or to see out the match against the 4-2-4. However, once you have a world-class side Counter should suffice 99% of the time in this situation.

until you have a seriously good reputation.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Do you mean reputation of the club or the manager?

Thanks for that anyway. Appreciate it.

until you have a seriously good reputation.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Do you mean reputation of the club or the manager?

Thanks for that anyway. Appreciate it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Combined.

Archived