How To Play FM07: Tactical Design and Management Strategy

I am playing AS Roma in the 1st season and doing great. my def line is this:

Tonetto Chivu Corluka AVB

Doni

I find your ideeas very efficient and intelligent but i a=have problems when i play against good teams away. Man marking is just not making it for me. For what ever reason when i play man mark i get stupid goals and the opposition gets a lot of chanses. Do you think i should wait a few more games for the team to wld better or have any other ideea?

Thank you. icon14.gif

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tills2k1 and amo...

Its not all about the tactics.

Sometimes you play the wrong players, get injuries, do the wrong teamtalk.

But what I have found with using successful tactics is that if you play the same tactic 2-3 matches in a row the AI cottons on. So for example if you have 3 away games in a row it can be harder to maintain form as you may have decided to play the same tactic for each match.

Try doing your own teamtalks, and interacting with you hotshot striker if your in a dip.

Love these tactics! I struggled in my first season due to not knowing which tactics to pick for particular games and making too many changes during the games and because I had players like Mullins, Zamora, Konchesky etc.

In my 2nd and 3rd seasons I still lost a few too many games but there were reasons for each one and therefore I wasn't too upset.

Now in my 4th season I've lost 1 in 19 and I've just beaten Southampton 9-0 in the cup.

Life is good again.

I'm going to try to post some screen shots of my league positions so hopefully it'll work

<A HREF=A>

New to 07 after playing 01-02 for several years.

After 18 months as Liverpool to feel out the game system, I switched to a career in Brazil as Corinthians. I came in as a no reputation manager and about half the team immediately dropped to POOR morale. With that major problem, I switched to these tactics after a W-D-W-D start and have had great success, now lying 12-3-0 and rising past Palmieras into first after beating them 2-1 at home.

I managed to figure out the move to 'Control' from Attacking on my own, a feat I'm proud of. icon_smile.gif I'm glad to see that confirmed in this thread.

A few odd notes to the season are that the two goals I scored on Palmieras are the only two they have conceded all season. So sixteen games for them, 15 clean sheets, and a 2-1 loss to me speaks very well for these tactics. Also, my Striker scored a 50 yard shot after the opposition GK wandered off. Never seen one that long before.

I've conceded 6, and they are all of either the 30 yard shot or breakaway while playing with 10 men (once only 8) variety. Morale is finally improving after two months of game time (mid-March after a mid January season start) and I'm down to four POOR, two of whom have pending transfer deals.

So I'm very pleased with how these tactics work in bizarre formation Brazil. Most of the season I've been 4,5,6 (predicted first) so re-ranking hasn't been an issue until the recent win over Palmieras.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chump_Change:

New to 07 after playing 01-02 for several years.

I managed to figure out the move to 'Control' from Attacking on my own, a feat I'm proud of. icon_smile.gif I'm glad to see that confirmed in this thread.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just by doing that you are streets ahead of most. Not being able to work out a control tactic is the fundamental problem most people have with FM07. You should feel proud.

ello wwfan old buddy, old pal (just joking) right i downloaded your tactics (as much as i hate to do that) and found them useful after tweaking! but the thing is i don't know what are musts for each tactic, i'll think of an example...something stupid like counter attack ticked for the counter tactic. something like that is set in stone and shouldn't be touched so i'm not sure what things are like that and shouldn't be tweaked, i only got this game a few month ago, and i was wondering how you get to know the game so well? i see you refer to bobby moore (only word to describe him is legend (which, for that matter, is used WAY too much these days!)) i'll download them again and try to just tweak a few things

Thank you for this topic. Liek a recent poster, I'm coming from 01/02, and I haven't really touched anythuing in between. I like the way you explain your thinking, as tactics are my blind spot - both in the game and in real life.

Playing in the depths of the Northern Irish league I'm having success using attack and counter attack, but noticibly worse results with other versions. I'm assuming that it's because I'm using the long ball, which isn't surprising as hoofing aimlessly upfield isn't really conducive to keeping posession, and that I'll have more success with more subtole tactics if/when I get a better job with better players.

These tactics work great.

I modified them to play as a 433 rather than 442 and also removed all traces of man marking because that sucks.

I don't find the Counter very useful, as my team just seem to live really dangerously without actually counter-attacking. Maybe I need to tweak it a bit considering its a 433.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nistelrooy_is_back:

i think only prossesion football is good for hold up ball... yours tactic so much hold up ball.. even though in yours counter attack tactic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not necessarily. Holding up the ball gives players the chance to move forward and catch up with the play. Even quick attacking football needs, to a certain extent, time to get from one end of the field to the other. Hold up ball gives players the chance to stop - look up - and play the forward ball.

Just because HUB is ticked doesn't mean the player will always hold it up, nor does it mean he will never run with it or play a quick killer pass.

I'm usually pretty successful tactics wise and had made myself a tactic using a target man that had allowed me to dominate with Sunderland without much variation.

However, after changing to a smaller team (Darlington) I hit a bit of a wall tactics-wise. After trying unsuccessfully to create a decent one of my own, and then doing so badly I got sacked icon_frown.gif I decided to start a new game and give these a try.

And they're definitely working a treat. I'm Royal Antwerp in the Belgian 2nd division and it looks like I'll get automatic promotion 1st season using this.

@ thezogsageordie: Slightly unsure to whether you are referring to the 'real' Bobby Moore, or the Sir Bobby Moore II, who was once a regular contributor to the forums. Possibly both legends!

Nothing should be set in stone. My tactics improve over time because I break the rules I originally laid out in TT&F. My key 'tweaks' for the Control (specifically for low odds teams playing against a defensive AI) set were to HUB up front, deepen the d-line and slow it down. However, other things may work just as well.

I get to know the game by:

A: reading threads on these forums. Most of the ideas in here are borrowed, stolen or adapted from others. In recent times, Abramovic's thread gave me a lot of ideas I wouldn't have previously thought of. Other threads have hgelped out in the past. I try to acknowledge these people and regard myself as little more than a collector and collator of ideas. I used to train people in Speed Reading, so keeping up to date with the theories on these threads isn't too difficult for me.

B: I spend one day testing ideas. From that one day's testing I am able to reach a conclusion of sorts about how the game works. I then write the TT&F thread. It lacks in many areas because I tend to only test at LLM level. As I don't have much playing time, it takes me a good four-five months to manage a top side (only have one career on the go at any time). I then adapt the theories for such teams. Interestingly, this adaption was almost exactly the same as it was in 06 (lower d-line, widen, add CF) with the addition of free roles and HUB for forwards in 07.

Hold Up Ball

The logic behind it:

Counter Tactics: FBs and DMC HUB allowing the team to break before playing the ball. It also helps the team regain shape.

Attacking Tactics: Wingers and Forwards HUB to allow the FBs and MCs to catch up with attacking play and overload the area.

@ ThunderCelt: These tactics were my adaption of previous tactics for quality sides. I imagine they do need some work for Northern Ireland. I'd remove CF, add a TM and player faster, more direct football at that level. Seems like you have gone more direct already.

@ chopper99: Glad you are doing well.

ok thanks, so you think your theories are good for LLM? as i'm doing that conference --> champions of england & europe challenge! having trouble getting to grips with the LLM tactics! i mean the real one as i know a lot of people think how great managers think (fatih terim being one i think) icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thezogsageordie:

ok thanks, so you think your theories are good for LLM? as i'm doing that conference --> champions of england & europe challenge! having trouble getting to grips with the LLM tactics! i mean the real one as i know a lot of people think how great managers think (fatih terim being one i think) icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't recommend this set. This is my adaptation for bigger sides. Try the TTF download thread or search FMDwonloads (2007/Tactics) for the TTF RoO/RoT Sets.

just want to make sure here, when in real football the team is losing, especially if its the better team that is losing, it goes for very high pressuring tactic and barely lets the opposition get to the ball, now is control this sort of tactic, if so, do you reccomend switchin to it if you are losing, especially at home??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cellz:

just want to make sure here, when in real football the team is losing, especially if its the better team that is losing, it goes for very high pressuring tactic and barely lets the opposition get to the ball, now is control this sort of tactic, if so, do you reccomend switchin to it if you are losing, especially at home?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cotrol does press heavily, but it also opens up the playing area (low d-line, maximum width) so that once you have the ball you spread it and keep possession. It is about probing for quality chances rather than overloading through fast-paced, aggressive play.

Rain causes player to not work as hard as they normally would. This is only a very slight effect and not really a problem as it affects both teams.

Rain can cause a muddy or a wet pitch, you can tell by looking at the pitch during the match.

Wet pitches make long shots hard to anticipate or control. Player will also loose their footing more easily so tone down run with ball.

Muddy pitches cause the ball to stop earlier than normal. Low shots will lose power as they bounce, but long passes are more likely to stay in play. Players will tire quicker on a Muddy pitch.

So the advice is tone down the long shots on muddy pitches, but playing direct will be easier. also reduce pressing slightly and reduce anything that causes players to tire faster e.g. forward runs or running with the ball.

So it doesn't really affect short passing, just the workrate required to use short passing. Just keep an eye on the player condition.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure the Defensive V3 tactic comes with the set in this thread, but it's one of the best tactics i've used when you're not favored to win.

I have made my own tactics for attacking but this is one of the best counter attacking defensive tactics i've ever seen. when the match is over, it looks like you just played in their half all match lol

So, I finally managed to figure out Imageshack...I think. And, I thought I would share some results with WWFAN's tactics.

Everything went pretty smoothly using the Defend, Counter, Possession, Attack and Control sets. Paying attention to the odds and the scouting reports generally led me to choose the right tactic and get a result.

Other than getting rolled out of the League Cup early, I hung around 1st to 3rd place, moved on in the FA, and more or less rolled in the Euro.

Oddly (at least for me b/c I have no explanation for what happened) much of this went South during the final third or so of the season in the Prem. All of a sudden, where I had been consistently the favorite, I was now the Dog. This happened even v. the last place team when I was in 3rd! I still do not understand this, but it definitely screwed up my ability to figure out the right formation to play.

Last Third of the Season

As you can see, the replay at Norwich in the FA did not go well. April was the beginning of bad things. Then, I lost 4 of the last 5 in the Prem to hobble into 5th place. Nothing was working and players were making bad mistakes. For example, in the Arsenal 1-5 drubbing, I scored first and was told I was unlucky to be down at the half...it was 1-4!!!

In any event, I ended with an Away win v. Everton, I qualified for Euro again and made $18 million US.

2012/13 Finish

And, there was a sweet silver lining!

Euro Champs!

I had been playing a lot of Counter and not getting results, so I threw caution to the wind and ran with Attack. Dortmund succumbed and Hartlepool was the Euro Champ!

442 Attack & Mentality

Line Up

I should note that I did switch to Counter at the half and held on to win my first big trophy!

Counter

Personally, I find that playing more direct passing (first notch) on the Counter leads to more breakway goals. I keep the Tempo mixed, as well, because I want some variety. This is a little variation from WWFAN's version.

Now, I am thinking of signing Nanni and maybe Carlos Quintanna. I can't decide if I should leave Joakim Johannson as my TM or go out and get a big name. I have $70 million to spend!

I post this to say thanks, WWFAN, Cleon, Rashidi, and everyone else that takes the time to put this stuff out there. Great stuff. I hope some find this helpful and I will try to share some other results in the future.

Sincerely,

Heywood

Was it your first/second season in the top flight? That may explain the sudden drop in odds, as your pre-season reputation will come into play quickly if you go on a bad run. In my experience it takes at least three (often four) seasons to have an established top-flight reputation when you are a small club.

Seemed to have done pretty well in general though. Congrats.

WWFan, thank you mate. You ve been a big help. If you may, I have some questions: At home I usually enjoy 52% possession with above 68% passing. You coul dsay that I am on top o fthings. However, I have many lost chances and usually only one out of 6 or 8 shots are on target. Could it be the setting of my FCs?

Another thing: High CD for defenders on a defending formation could be very helpful. As the team is packed behind the ball and in a narrow formation, the player do not have the enough space to get carried out of position. This is my understanding.

Finally, I would lie you to consider weather a high tempo styl ewould best suite a counter attacking game, when you would need speed and direct play to catch the opposition pants down. Thank you for your help again!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wwfan:

Was it your first/second season in the top flight? That may explain the sudden drop in odds, as your pre-season reputation will come into play quickly if you go on a bad run. In my experience it takes at least three (often four) seasons to have an established top-flight reputation when you are a small club.

Seemed to have done pretty well in general though. Congrats. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was my second full season in Prem. So, that would explain it. No one believes us! LOL!! Does this also explain why it is difficult to sign a lot of top flight players b/c they have no intention of joining the squad?

One other question. I have generally refrained from using too many Opposition Instructions. I found that using them often seemed to lead to worse results. Now, the only ones I tend to use are showing Wingers onto wrong foot, but not if both feet are better than reasonable. Any thoughts on this with the new set?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Code:

Cleon, which Training Regimes are you using for this tactic? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is wwfan's thread, isn't it. icon_confused.gif

Okay so first off this is an exceptional thread. My thanks go out to the creator for the time spent developing these systems in order to make FM in its current guise more accessible.

Now, I've implemented this research into a 433 formation with Feyenoord that lines-up as follows:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

SC

WL WR

MC DM MC

DL DC DC DR

GK

</pre>

The "Attack" & "Control" versions of the formation have short straight farrows from the MCs and short diagonal farrows from the WL & WR with a short barrow from the DM. The "Counter" & "Possession" versions of the tactic abandon all the farrows and in the "Defend" tactic all arrows are removed and the DM sits in their traditional space right in front of the DCs.

Okay so the reason I've posted this info is that I'm trying to gauge if my approach to countering formations other that the 442s detailed in the guide are similar to what everyone else has found, especially as I'm not sure if I'm just encountering more varied formations because my own isn't "traditional" or if its just the AI managers that I'm playing against.

Although I will say that one thing that I have found is that when playing against 442s with short farrows on the wingers that the use of "Attack" tactics does depend on whether you're at home or away to get success. At home there's rarely a problem, but away from home it does seem to me that "Possession" is perhaps more effective, although I've not had the opportunity to really test that theory since its only come to me in my last couple of results.

Anyway, here's what I've found works against non-flat442 formations & if anyone can verify what I've found or differen then I'd like to hear about it.

Use "Possession" for...

442 Diamond (DM/RM/LM/AM & DM/MRC/MLC/AM)

4231 (All versions except for the one detailed in "Attack" below)

Use "Control" for...

Use "Attack" for...

4312 & 4231 (the version where there are 2 committed deep DMs, no-one in the middle of the park, and then 3 on the AM line and 1 on the striker line as per usual)

The only other formation I've come up against that I haven't yet been able to really assess was...

42121 with 2 DMs, 1 MC, 2 Wingers & 1 SC

but I'd assume that faced with it again "Possession" would be my go-to formation.

Anyway, let me know if my experience with these systems is common...

My First post on this forum however I have been trying these tactics for quite some time. Unfortunately I have not had much success with these systems; I’m hoping to get some advice on where I’m going wrong ïŠ

Wwfan I did use your previous tactical framework (Rule of Two) and found it very successful, cannot seem to get this one right though ïŒ

Here is what I do……

Teams

Aston Villa + Everton (In a prev game I have ditched) (442 diamond 442 flat respectively)

Home = Start with attack – go one goal up, then the opposition always equalize (I think the AI always change tactics when I score against them) should I immediately change to another system?

Home=against the big sides the attack system seems to fall down am always just below on position and pass completion, just lost to UTD 3-0 ïŒ. What other of your systems is successful in this situation?

Away=after reading this post I have decided to employ the counter tactic more away – I seem to be getting more success however am not getting great results

Overall=Not scoring enough goals, lots of chances but not converting them.

Please Help, it’s rather frustrating! ïŠ

Base

@ GRE23: Having looked at Abramvic's Ai thread, the AI (even in its most attacking formations) has FCs on mixed FWRs. Try to place both on mixed and see if it helps. Th Ai also undoubtedly closes down with its most defensive formations, so your theory holds water.

Oppostion Instructions

I don't use them, but there is an excellent thread on opposition instructions at FMB.

@ BaseLine9: The AI will nearly always change after a goal is scored. your job is to counter that change. If you are a massively superior side the countering is less important than if you are an average one. A lot of Ai chanegs are obvious (short farows to long farrows) but some are hidden. Keep an eye on the quality of AI chance, the passing and poszsession stats, and you should learn where and when to be more cautious and more attacking. If you pick the right method, the goals will come.

This thread is depressing.

I've always enjoyed wwfan's commentary in various threads. I like designing my own tactics after reading everyone's results.

I'm in 2016 in a particular game. I started with Oxford, made it to th championship, left for Man Utd (via a pit stop at Portsmouth). I've been dominant.

Starting the previous year, things started to go awry. Despite an even better squad, the goals started to dry up. And while I didn't allow more goals, my defense seemed more disorganized. So I started tweaking, sometimes after consulting these forums - other times, just doing what seemed logical. That first season, I still managed to win the title - only managed 70 points, and only beat out two other squads on goal difference.

The problems were compounded this season. Despite more tweaks, I was only 5th through 13 games with what was easily the best squad. I knew this thread was here, and finally the temptation was too great. I downloaded wwfan's tactics.

Instant success. How depressing. What I did find remarkable, however, was how substantial differences in game play can flow from minor tactical deviations. The formation I was playing mostly was actually very, very, very close to the Control tactic. But much less successful.

Thanks for your contributions, but I wish you'd adhered to your no-download rules. I just wasn't strong enough...

Just say no!!!!

Could you elucidate on just how the game play changed? Early criticism for my tactic sets centred around them being too direct and focused on efficiency over beauty (which was kind of the point during their LLM origins). I think some of the football the current set produces (especially with control) is outstanding. It flows, has intricate passing combos, a well-managed defence and gorgeous goals. Do you see the same sort of thing compared to your previous tactic?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wwfan:

Just say no!!!!

Could you elucidate on just how the game play changed? Early criticism for my tactic sets centred around them being too direct and focused on efficiency over beauty (which was kind of the point during their LLM origins). I think some of the football the current set produces (especially with control) is outstanding. It flows, has intricate passing combos, a well-managed defence and gorgeous goals. Do you see the same sort of thing compared to your previous tactic? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, the differences between my tactic and Control:

(1) I did not assign free roles to the wingers.

(2) My central midfielders were set to somewhat shorter passing.

(3) My more defensive midfielder was set to hold up the ball.

(4) My tempo was 4 notches higher.

(5) My more defensive midfielder was set to only 12 in closing down to better maintain the shape of the formation.

Other than that, it was close to identical, probably a couple of minor deviations (not including the set pieces - I'm pretty certain your instructions are better, there).

Given those differences, what have I noticed?

(1) Control is better at keeping the other side's pass % down. I'd say I was averaging low 60's with mine. With Control, it's been in the mid-50's.

(2) The slower speed of play seems to really benefit possession, probably unsurprisingly. What did surprise me is that there's not an appreciable difference in the AI's ability to recover to their formation.

(3) Yours is substantially better at breaking down extremely defensive sets. Possibly because it's more patient, as described above.

(4) The most impressive goals, that I didn't really seem before, come from interactions between the wingers and the AMC or the strikers about 4/5ths of the way up the pitch. My guess is the free role has something to do with it. I see my wingers being far more aggressive in attacking defenders, even though my individual settings - other than free role - were just about identical.

I did not expect the free role to have such a profound effect on the wingers.

Thanks for that, haven.

If you'd like to experiment further, I have a couple of other ideas that I am using that add to the control tactic.

Since posting it, I have slowed it down even more. I have also lowered the d-line to first notch normal to open up more space. But, the most interesting thing is adding a playmaker. NB: I did the above tweaks to specifically incorporate a playmaker as I wanted him to have more time on the ball. They may not be necessary though.

Playmaker Option One: MCL: Results: He doesn't get many assists but the play flows through him. I have seen him complete 150+ passes in a game. Because of his lowish CF and defensive instructions, he sits in front of the back four and dictates play. Rather than try to play killer balls for goals, he spreads the ball to unmarked winger and overlapping full-backs who then provide the assist. He also scores cracking long distance goals.

Playmaker Option Two: MCR: Results: A lot more assists and goals, but less defensive control. Because of the higher CF and more attacking instructions he really attacks the back four, looking to play killer balls, beat his man and do serious damage in and around the penalty area. However, play doesn't flow through him as much and possession isn't quite as good.

What I try to do is play my playmaker as MCR until I get two goals up, then move him to MCL so he controls play more. If it works the two goal lead can easily become five or more.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Code:

Cleon, which Training Regimes are you using for this tactic? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, should be wwfan, not cleon hahaha icon_biggrin.gif

Mhh wwfan, what should I do if I'm FC Köln and playing a surprising season and am first, and playing against Bayern? The quotes are for me, but I face them away and they're playing a 4-4-2 short farrowed. Should I begin with the attacking version or counter?

I'm sorry to say I got sacked with this set of tactics!

I started with Tenerife in the spanish Liga BBVA, and played with my own tactics for a while - mostly keeping the team steady at the middle of the table, but doing nothing spectacular. Then I started using this set of tactics around the middle of my 2nd season and got an immediate improvement in results. I was impressed and kept using it.

The 3rd season I got promoted, although not winning the league. I was a bit worried since I felt like my team wasn't ready yet for the huge challenge that is to play in one of the biggest leagues in the world, and I was right. We ended 20th, dead last and relegated. Still, the board was still "satisfied" and didn't sack me.

However, the expectations for the 5th season were very high - winning the Liga BBVA title, nothing else would do. I spent most of the season hanging around 2nd-6th place, and my players sometimes would complain the club was underacheiving. Then after one defeat in late January the board suddendly sacks me, despite they had been "satisfied" with my performance all season.

I don't really know what I did wrong. I think I'm pretty good at squad management after 7 or 8 years playing CM/FM, I also handled team talks and media relatively well, and bought loads of promising young talent. I also think I understood fairly well the way I should use the defence/counter/possession/attack/control versions. The only place I think I didn't do too well was with the performance of some of my signings, my midfielders and wingers never felt like they were playing 100% right.

So in summary, the tactics made a very good impact the first 2 seasons I tried them, but afterwards resulted in poor performance and a sack.

If you weren't ready for La Liga, then you might well find the tactics failing. If you had used counter and defend pretty predominantly I don't think you'd have been relegated. I have been in that position myself, forced into defending all the time with a poor quality squad against top quality opposition and it is very, very difficult to get results (and sometimes you need to change things, such as MCs converting to DMCs). I managed a 14th, but was also dead last for a while.

Being between 2nd and 6th isn't really a failure, nor poor performance. It is with a harsh board expecting the title, but in general terms, especially with your doubts as to squad quality, it is pretty successful. I would have my doubts using Control at Liga BBVA level as it was designed for top sides with dominant personnel, but the Attack should work.

If you have a save from the beginning of your La Liga season I would suggest replaying it using Counter and Defend for most games. I am sure you'll survive. Equally, if you have a save from the next season, replay it but be very careful when employing Control. You might want to reduce CF and free roles at the lower level too.

Thank you for all your hard work and effort to the forum wwfan. You really are a beacon for all struggling FMers and truly ahead of your time.(Ok, maybe not, but you can quote me if you like.)

I will preface by saying I am Man Utd

A couple of observations:

1. Against staunch, defensive sides I often do not get enough shots, obviously giving me less chance to score. So far, the set has been very very good against the other big four and teams not using a SUS from the get go. I have experimented with short passing, quick tempo and wide formations but I feel your set up is more effective. Yet I beat a lot of inferior teams 1-0 with a goal in the 80th minute. I am striving for style and effiency, kind of in that order, and I don't know what else to tweak. I will try your new tweaks and report back.

2. Before I changed to this tactic, Ronalod and my wingers were in scintillating form with the rest of the team not so hot. Now Rooney is ligting it up and the wide men are kind of left out in the cold. My theories are Ronaldo has too much CF, therefore accentuating his poor PPMs(Dwell on ball) and his low decision stat(9). I am curious how successful your wingers have been with this set.

Thanks for any tips and KUTGreatW!

Hi wwfan, i wonder if you could answer these questions for me. I am the arsenal by the way and i want to use these tactics to create a smooth attacking formations at home and away.

1) We dont cross the ball much irl, so would switching the cross ball ofter on FB and wingers to medium affect the effectiveness of these tactics?

2) Would switching the cross ball to (area) affect these tactics? You have the right sided players to far post for FCL but he rarely is in the box as he has runs to mixed. Surely if he is supposed to get in the box to recive the cross he should have them to often as with the FCR.

3) Would i benefit from giving the FB rwb often if they have high stats in Dribbling?

4) You have your wingers cross from sides, what affect would switching them to mixed have on the tactic?

5)If your MCa does not have a lot of pace eg cesc, would it be better to have him fw mixed? I also use him as the playmaker. I just thought that having him stay in that position may get more out of him. I play berty next to him and is solid so do not want to move cesc to MCd. Also What affect would taking off hard tackling have on the MCa? If he is the playmaker surely you want him to have space and not close down as well.

Please give me a head up on the above if you have tested this area. You may have tested the tactic with most combinations so im looking for a few results on them if you have.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cellz:

wwfan, do you use playmaker only for control tactic or for all? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For Control and Possession only.

Thank you for these great tactics.

I managed with these tactics to play good football and get the points with my rushden team in league two after promotion.

Before using your tactics my stats were: P 10 W 3 D 3 L 4

after ~ ~ ~ : P 6 W 4 D 0 L 2 the 2 matches i lost were first and then 4 wins.

My wingers play magnificently, but the best two players are usually the FCR and the DCL. The two MCs have had better seasons since I started using a playmaker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How are your wingers set up? I have Downing and Jimenez and I just cannot seem to get them to consistently hug the line and rain crosses into the box. Getting frustrating.

Also, I have tried a lot of stuff, but right now here is how they are in general terms with higher or lower mentality depending on the tactic:

CF:15

Passing:10 or 11

FwdRuns:Often

RWB:Often

Thruballs:Often

Xing:Often

Longshots:Mixed

Cross From: Mixed

Cross Aim: Mix/TM (TM is on Left)

FreeRole: Yes

HoldBall: Yes

Archived