Fundamental Football Manager (FFM) - Basics of Tactic Making

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rashidi1:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrazT:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rashidi1:

A good corner set-up

Try to have three big targets in the box, one on Near Post Flick-On, the strongest on Challenge GK, and a third on Forward. Add to that a real shooter on "Attack Near Post", and somebody with Headers and Finishing at "Stand on Far Post", and you have four goalscoring threats plus a good garbage collector.

Now that is the best corner set-up I know, you can add to that by having your best long shot artists on lurking. When choosing your players, make sure the ones who challenge are good at jumping and have good strength. In all positions that require them to challenge these should be considered. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rashidi- this routine was a cert for 10-15 goals a season in FM 07 but as yet, doesnt seem to be as effective in 08 -is that your experience?

P.S I sent you an e- mail to your profile e mail address and it came back as unknown- is there another e mail address that I can contact you on ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

delete the words nospam and it should work...erm

And looking at my corners rate and we aren't even halfway through the season yet, i have to say I'm sizzling at set-pieces, in fact I think the scoring rate is far too high if you get the players right, the key lies in strength and technique.

cornerpx6.jpg </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What do you set your crosses to?

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rashidi you seem to be the best person to ask so I will.

My midfielders shoot non stop, from unthreatening positions. This constantly kills my attacks and hands possesion to the opponents, so despite my dominance, my attacks are useless.

At first I thought it was a problem with my strikers so I attempted to tweak them and have the drop deep or to have 1 used as a link man.

No luck.

Then I decided it must be my midfield settings, I put them on low creativity, and high TTB, tweaking passing etc and low long shots.

Nothing works, I keep have a lot of possesion and shots but drawing or losing by 1 goal.

I know this long shot problem is a known bug but I cannot see why I should not be able to make a 442 with Arsenal work when I see so many who seem to have success regardless of the bug.

I am on 8.01 updated beta patch btw.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hyperion666:

Rashidi you seem to be the best person to ask so I will.

My midfielders shoot non stop, from unthreatening positions. This constantly kills my attacks and hands possesion to the opponents, so despite my dominance, my attacks are useless.

At first I thought it was a problem with my strikers so I attempted to tweak them and have the drop deep or to have 1 used as a link man.

No luck.

Then I decided it must be my midfield settings, I put them on low creativity, and high TTB, tweaking passing etc and low long shots.

Nothing works, I keep have a lot of possesion and shots but drawing or losing by 1 goal.

I know this long shot problem is a known bug but I cannot see why I should not be able to make a 442 with Arsenal work when I see so many who seem to have success regardless of the bug.

I am on 8.01 updated beta patch btw. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure if this helps, but at one point when I was playing '07, I noticed that if my tactic moved my forwards out wide too much leaving the MCs open in the middle a lot that the MCs blasted from every place on the pitch. Maybe check that and try to adjust.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by daleuk7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">People usually complain closing down never works, and honestly i can't be arsed to explain why anymore. A player will only close down if his attributes dictate it. So if he doesn't then he won't. Teamwork, workrate, bravery are really important for players who are closing down... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a bit harsh..i just struggle to understand because of the reading of it, what i mean is its alot to take in. thats not me complaining, its just i genrally struggle with things like that, part of my disability i guess. So i'm not sure if anyone can make it any simpler to understand..or walk me through it lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My apologies, didn't mean too sound harsh...i will try and explain it again in hopefully in an easier way. for starters have you read the explanation of closing down in the faq?

My 433 formation isn't ready to be uploaded, it is loosely based on the Ajax tactic, but it has not been working too well with gloucester. I'll test one further and post it to my savefile folder.

FrazT/Jablome: they are set to near post

Hyperion: shooting from distance appears to be a concern for me too...how defending against it is fairly straight forward. Getting your players to stop it is another matter..unfortunately I know of no other way to get them to do that except for reducing tempo and ticking off the instructions

thanks glenn

daleuk if someone complains to me that closing down is broken I will definitely tell the person to take his problems elsewhere cos the slider isn't the end of getting closing down to work...I hope you understand.

The closing down slider works like this: It tells a player how far away from his goal he begins closing down vis a vis the defensive line.

Now if you set the closing down low..then he will track all the way back to near his defensive line then begin work. Now if his mentality is also high then there's even more distance he has to cover before he closes down. Thats why defensive line mentality and closing down are linked.

Whether a player decides to close down or not depends on several things:

Is the player already within his dangerzone? If the player is not then he won't close down. This will explain why you don't get 3 MCs all close down a winger at the same time. Usually one reacts first. Once the threat leaves the dangerzone the players stop closing down. Now this is important to u/stand.

If the AI attacks very fast, and bypasses your midfield, your midfield will be slow to react, which is why they may back off and the defenders will come out early to engage.

So quick attacks are the best way to bypass someone playing a high pressing game.

Whether a player closes down or not depends on:

Bravery: very impt..if a player has low bravery stats, whether there is a player in his dangerzone or not, he will only track and will not put in the challenge.

Teamwork: Players need to work together..closing down is a team thing. Low teamwork is counterproductive.

Stamina/Workrate: If your player has neither, then the problems are obvious, in the case of the former, he will wear down faster and chances are he will stop engaging. Workrate causes the same things.

Anticipation: Easily one of the most impt attributes for any team that chooses to play a pressing game...with high anticipation levels...a team that plays a high closing down game will nick the ball off defenders and keepers.

Positioning: For defenders its important to have this attribute, because most defenders are usually set to low closing down levels, it follows that they need to be in the right place at the right time.

Hey Rash I have a few questions.

Firstly that was an brilliant explanation of how closing down works and it's correlation to mentality and defensive line.

If you set a high line, it would be advisable to set the closing down on low. Surely this would be something to look into? As the team won't have that far back to track back. Or maybe I am reading into this incorrect and it would be far more advisable to set high D-Line and High Closing down or Low D-Line and Low Closing down?

Sorry, I meant for the midfield's and attackers no closing down.Because they don't have far to track back, so they can get back easily and defend while attacking higher up?

Sorry I might be interpreting this wrong as I said.

Hyperion: shooting from distance appears to be a concern for me too...how defending against it is fairly straight forward. Getting your players to stop it is another matter..unfortunately I know of no other way to get them to do that except for reducing tempo and ticking off the instructions

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think mentality (general and/or individual) plays a large role in this. I used to have the same problems but now i'm playing on very defensive mentalities and have no problems with longshots.

I am pretty useless at making my own tactics so i have read through this thread and find it very helpful although i haven't got to try any yet i am in the process of setting up my own tactic.

I like to play a 4-4-2 with a target man and a fast striker who has decent heading abilities aswell. I play as the team i support Sunderland who i always do rubbish with. I think before i was setting my players mentalities too far from each other and getting slaughtered by, well any team really.

I have a DM who is also a natural at CM, he has good passing, workrate, team work strength is 14 so thats ok and is fast aswell. I want to play quite attacking fast football would i be best off putting my DM in the DM position or the CM position?

Sorry if its a stupid question but i need alot of help to build a good tactic.

Wow, this thread has been so helpful, I am eternally grateful to you rashidi. I have made my own wide diamond 4-4-2 with Middlesbrough and the effects have been very good however my possession has been slightly too low (or is that normal for away matches?) and also having too few shots, at most only 7. Also I don't know what I am doing but I seem to be leaving a lot of room for the opposition to get a long shot in and giving them enough time to get most of them on target too, and occasionally allowing the strikers to get in behind my defense. This causes the opposition to have more than 20 sog and more than 15 sot per game. Another problem is my wingers aren't getting enough crosses in, total pass less than 20 apiece and m y dm seems to be making more plays than my am even though the creativity on the am is higher.

I play slightly defensively and short passing, 2 less than normal with dl at sightly lower than that, with slightly lower tempo and lower creativity, less closing down except for the more advanced players and normal for full backs.

wingers are fwr often, crosses mixed, rwb mixed, slightly attacking since they interfered with the fbs while defending. DCs have low closing down and more defensive than others with rarely anything.

one ST is normal mentality, fwr often and hold up ball, other is attacking, fwr often and rwb often.

full backs are fwr often and cross ball often, just short of normal mentality and short passing.

DM is rarely everything exept mixed ttp and slightly more defensive than the team, slightly more closing down.

I have ticked counter attack and no playmaker although I believe my AM has the ability to do that.

So what I'm looking for are instructions which will have the team keep a bit more possesion and have more shots, with my AM dictating play and spraying the ball out to the wings where a cross can be whipped in and taken avantage of or for the ball to be played back to the middle from the wings so that my AM and the striker that drops back to also grab some goals from long shots and through balls to goal (which is happening now, I am very happy about those chances).

Mostly though I am appalled at the number of shots we take compared to how many the other team takes. Is there a way for the DM to take attention off the AM or to protect him so he can work his magic? I'm not too focused on having a counter attack but I am focused on having a defense that can prevent being passed and can block off long shots which I am most worried about atm. conceded 6 goals against blackburn, and I am sure the only thing they beat us in convincingly was the amount of accurate shots I let them take.

If you could give me some hints on that it would be very helpful thank you. I will be continuing to experiment of course.

Please tell me if I am experimenting is it better to save and play the same team over and over and see what is working or to keep playing against different teams and see? Because I saved and reloaded against blackburn 3 times and gave away penalties in all 3 games losing 2 by large scorelines and scoring 1 goal in each. Obviously I have to tweak my tactics against different teams but is doing this a good starting point with new tactics? Again thank you for all your help.

I discovered this thread earlier today and it helped me develop my tactics so much better and now I feel like I almost fully understand what I am doing when I am creating a tactic and what to look out for. Thank you so much rashid for this.

I especially like the 4-3-3 probing attacking formation you mentioned on the first page and this is what I developed my Bognor Regis (lol) tactic around.

If you have the time please could you tell me how good my tactic is and where to improve etc.

Here are a few screenies:

maintactic.jpg

Here is the 4-3-3 tactic I chose, as you can see I have an AM instead of a DM (who is plating better than any other player in my squad).

lonestriker.jpg

Here is my lone striker who is the target man who holds up the ball and has a mentality as attacking as it would go.

defence.jpg

Here are my defenders, my centre-backs are based on the stoppers you mentioned a few pages ago and my full-backs are pretty much standard except I have set them to be more defensive so they don't leave gaps between them and the CBs.

centremids.jpg

Here are my centre-mids, they are both set with direct passing and one of them is set with fwrs at rarely so he is a linking player like you mentioned.

attackingmidfielders.jpg

Here are my wingers and my attacking mids, I set my wingers crossing and dribbling to mixed so as they are more likely to pick the best option than just cross or dribble just because they are told to like as again, you mentioned.

I find my greatest problems lie in defence as I am still shipping quite a few goals. I suspect that this could be because my defensive line doesn't correspond well with the settings of my CBs right?

Thanks in advance.

Your guide has been fantastic, thankyou.

I'm no master, but the one thing I have a concern with that sticks out in your tactic is the mids linking with the CBs. The CBs have very short passing, while the mids are set pretty high on attacking...do you see any problems with your CBs getting the ball out of the backfield to the MCs? Definitely they have an outlet to the FBs, and if thats what you're looking for, your FBs to start the attacks...it looks real good. For my own tastes, I like to have one of the mids closer to the CBs on the pitch (with a lower mentality), to give them an outlet up the middle of the pitch, also. Or...you could make passing more direct and enable longer balls to the MCs.

I'm sure Rahsidi will give you a better answer than me icon_smile.gif!!

Great thread Rashidi, I've set up a 4-4-2 system on this basics. I want to play wide-slow-possesion football, espesially at home, away from home I'm more open to defend deeper and counter.

So, anyway, I've played a few games, and have possesion stats at over 60%, passes completed over 80%, and creating an okey amount of chances. But now to the problem, the opponent creates way to much chanses.

I'm Derby, in the start of my four season and will now play Champions Leauge football.

GK: Chris Kirkland

RB: Liam Rosenior

CD: Breno

CD: Lewis Nyatanga

LB: Javier Garrido

RM: Giles Barnes

CMd: Leon Andreasen

CMa: David Jones

ST: Andy Carrol

ST: Falcao

I've played a couple of games so far. EvertonH Home statsMy team are letting way to easy chances against us.

So, on to my settings

My central defenders settings is just the way you explained early in the post for a "Normal Defender".

My fullbacks mentality is set to first notch of normal, and with closing down on 10. FWR & RWB & CB Mixed. Tackling set to hard. Cross from deep.

My defensive midfielder has second notch of normal(mentality), passing set to 2. CD last notch of own half. Everything mixed down there.

My offensive midfielder has mentality of 10. Much CF, first notch of normal on passing, CD 10. FWR often, RWB mixed, TTB often, Cross ball mixed.

My wingers has normal mentality, 2 steps from attacking. High CF, first notch of direct passing, CD first notch of Whole pitch. Tackling hard. FWR often, rest mixed.

My strikers has first notch of attacking and the other one two steps higher. Then the same setting, CF high, passing first notch direct, CF 2 steps from full. Everything except long shots mixed.

My whole team are playing loose Zonal marking, no free roles or hold up ball. Last notch of slow tempo, and second notch of wide with. Normal Dline. Everything unticked.

Am I doing something terribly wrong? Why am I leaking? Some other hints? What marking should I use, and whre? icon_smile.gif

Hoping for some help, and sorry if my english isn't that good, i'm not english.

ManUnited: no probs, I think reading the threads and looking at other people's stuff helps my own, of course, me defense is ok, but not stellar...so I don't think I'd be much help there, other than that if you do set one of your MCs lower in mentality, they'll act as more of a ballwinner on defense and help clog up the middle above the defenders.

alexuno: how are you giving up chances? Long balls? quick strikes/crosses down/from the wings? Is the opposing team playing around too much and making space around your defense?

I'll assume people have read the FAQ, which covers a lot of the basic stuff. This thread is meant to cover more than just the basics and is aimed to help people get to enjoy playing the game more:

FFM How to make any tactic

<LI> What is the goal of your tactic

Know what you want first. Where are your goals going to come from, where are your players going to be to link the whole thing together. Stuff like that, its basic, but many people including me go onto auto-pilot and forget

<LI>Making your own vs Default tactics

Default tactics are a template, something to work from, not the ultimate solution. If you look at the default tactics virtually every slider is in the middle. Middle means normal so the emphasis is for safety first, even for the attacking tactics. Small adjustments should be made, you can also use the presets and set up the defenders..and then you'll notice there is a difference between a preset- defender and one from the default instructions.

<LI> How do I play defensively?

Short - Normal passing

Slow - Normal Tempo

Low creative freedom

Few TTB instructions

Normal FWR instructions for most players

A normal defensive line

Normal mentalities for most players

Slow to normal tempo

Normal width

High timewasting

Closing down low at the back, normal in midfield and normal upfront

When it comes to passing I generally recommend mixed for most teams because of the weather effect on pitches. Waterlogged pitches are a huge problem for short passing, so sometimes you need to play mixed. A slow to normal tempo allows you to hold possession. Closing down is also interesting, for good sides I'd even consider higher closing down, but sometimes that wears out players too much, lower closing down keeps your players in shape.

If you have your link players on direct passing and one or two wingers on fwr, they could launch very quick counterattacks.

<LI>Slow probing possession based game

Higher closing down in midfield/attack

Passing short

Tempo slow to normal

Width - Wide

More FWR

More players with TTB instructions

Higher CF in front

Ideally some players will be on direct passing to set off quick thrusts

The more players have normal instructions the more players defend, so some players may need

either FWR or farrows to make them run behind the defensive lines

Its easy to go from a defensive set up to one of these, the key lies in the passing and closing down instructions. If you want to knock the ball about, set passing to the low end of short and mixed. Short passing will see players knock it around more. If you want to do probing kind of football your shape is very important. At least 3 centrally placed midfielders are needed. Tempo should be slow or normal. Leave closing down untouched in defense, but increase it in midfield. These kind of formations benefit from some players on direct passing, the thrusts will come from here.

<LI>Attacking tactics

FWR often for midfielders

FWR often for fullbacks

More use of TTB

Slider based formation with at least 6 players on attacking mentality

Wide

Attacking formations need pace, good passing, great anchor players who could HUB and lay off to others and more than one route to goal. Attacking mentalities are important for those who are attacking, which means you want to take risks. With such formations its important to keep your backline on INDIVIDUAL mentalities at all costs so they don't get dragged away. Formations that can use this to great effect are 433 formations, possession shouldn't be your main worry, make sure you get more than one route to goal. .This can come from attacking fullbacks, "kaka" like midfielders and strong AMC who drive attacks through the middle.

Using arrows for players

If you use farrows be careful, setting too high a mentality for a farrowed player could push him further away and make him harder to find. Furthermore all those forward runs he will make will only make him more tired. When setting mentality be aware of its incidental effects on other settings. When a player is set with a high mentality and is given passing instructions its best to give him either direct passing or short. Do this so he can find the player nearest him.

If he has a high mentality and is positioned higher up on the pitch, you shouldn't give him any ttb instructions if he is a winger, getting him to play a short pass or a direct pass to an MC or a striker is a far better option. Setting him on attacking mentality and with TTB on normal will definitely make him waste more passes. Even if his decisions are good he will look for the attacking option first.

Its far better to give a ML a farrow and then give him normal mentality. This means that he will be positioned further up to receive the pass but he will also be more effective when you lose possession of the ball since he is closer to the MC, then he would otherwise have been if he has a high mentality.

Mentality works hand in hand with a host of sliders that can complicate your target or enhance it..its best to keep CF neutral; Closing down normal and tempo normal in most cases.

CF increases the amount of actions a dot will more likely do. Keeping it normal allows his decisions to determine what these are. High mentality settings, coupled with high closing down will wear your players down. There is little neccessity to have high for both. Have closing down on normal for wingers, have it higher for your DMs. You can set really low mentality settings for your DCs. I would recommend having them on 3 if possible for FM 2008. You can even have it on 1. That will make em play like Wimbledon at the back with no thought on building play just hoofing

<LI>Defensive Line -

If you have a high dline then the midfielders and defenders try winning the ball higher up the pitch. This slider works with closing down and is affected by mentality. If your team is attacking and loses the ball, then players will fall back to win the ball.

If you are playing with a high dline and your fullbacks are set to normal mentality and low closing down, their higher positions will affect their closing down. Because they are placed higher, they will close down once a player enters his zone. And sometimes they may even track deep to do that. Attributes and player roles affect these too. If the ball is punted and is headed to the 25yard line, chances are a DC if he has higher anticipation will move to win the header. Bear all these in mind when setting a tactic up.

Player instructions

The best thing about setting player instructions now is "Match Flow", on match day you can actually close the tactical screen which displays the formation and then select player instructions based on their attributes. It certainly saves time.

Passing

Direct is good form of passing for premiership clubs. You can use direct passing for DCs and for wingers.

Short passing is good passing for MCs and for defensive MCs linking with either a DM or a an attacking MC who is set to TTB. In this case have the MC on passing of 1 and the playmaker on either mixed or direct.

Long passing - Not my favourite, use it with your Keeper. Look for a Forward with high jumping and heading, strength and pace and set that guy up to receive long kicks from your keeper. Plenty of cheap goals to be had from here. It doesn't happen ALL THE TIME though.

Short passing witj fast tempo works great with strong teams, but can be disasterous for weak teams who lack te attributes such as stamina, workrate and decisions to make a high tempo passing game work.High tempo also implies a shorter interval between passes, if a playerr can't make a decision where the ball is going it will most likely end up with the opposition.

Run with Ball and Cross Ball

The best setting for this has always been mixed. If you set someone on often for both these sliders, he will do the dribble or cross the ball even when its not the best option. Their first priority will be to follow those instructions. So always use decisions to govern player instructions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does TTB and FWR mean

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MSCCG:

Wow, this thread has been so helpful, I am eternally grateful to you rashidi. I have made my own wide diamond 4-4-2 with Middlesbrough and the effects have been very good however my possession has been slightly too low (or is that normal for away matches?) and also having too few shots, at most only 7. Also I don't know what I am doing but I seem to be leaving a lot of room for the opposition to get a long shot in and giving them enough time to get most of them on target too,Then you may not be closing down enough in midfield..just a few notches more, though i seem to think the AI takes too many long shots at them moment and occasionally allowing the strikers to get in behind my defense. 2 reasons why that could happen a. they are closing down too much or you could be playing with a high defensive line This causes the opposition to have more than 20 sog and more than 15 sot per game. Another problem is my wingers aren't getting enough crosses in, total pass less than 20 apiece and m y dm seems to be making more plays than my am even though the creativity on the am is higher. If wingers are not getting enough crosses on check to see one or the other is on mixed..preferably RWB and TTB should be mixed and cross ball should be often

I play slightly defensively and short passing, 2 less than normal with dl at sightly lower than that, with slightly lower tempo and lower creativity, less closing down except for the more advanced players and normal for full backs.

normal for fullbacks is ok...you need to make sure closing down is normal in midfield as much as possible.That could prevent their wingers from finding space

wingers are fwr often, crosses mixed, rwb mixed, slightly attacking since they interfered with the fbs while defending. DCs have low closing down and more defensive than others with rarely anything.

change wingers to cross often

one ST is normal mentality, fwr often and hold up ball, other is attacking, fwr often and rwb often.

fine

full backs are fwr often and cross ball often, just short of normal mentality and short passing.

setting crossing aim to mixed for fullbacks and deep for wingers, should make them play more efficiently

DM is rarely everything exept mixed ttp and slightly more defensive than the team, slightly more closing down.

I have ticked counter attack and no playmaker although I believe my AM has the ability to do that.

should be fine

So what I'm looking for are instructions which will have the team keep a bit more possesion and have more shots, with my AM dictating play and spraying the ball out to the wings where a cross can be whipped in and taken avantage of or for the ball to be played back to the middle from the wings so that my AM and the striker that drops back to also grab some goals from long shots and through balls to goal (which is happening now, I am very happy about those chances).

try the instruction changes I've listed, AM can be set to run with ball and set TTb to often

Mostly though I am appalled at the number of shots we take compared to how many the other team takes. Is there a way for the DM to take attention off the AM or to protect him so he can work his magic? I'm not too focused on having a counter attack but I am focused on having a defense that can prevent being passed and can block off long shots which I am most worried about atm. conceded 6 goals against blackburn, and I am sure the only thing they beat us in convincingly was the amount of accurate shots I let them take.

AM was way too powerful in early versions of the engine, but he can still be very influential. Set mentality to the same as the wingers and have him carry the ball in and have FWR often

If you could give me some hints on that it would be very helpful thank you. I will be continuing to experiment of course.

Please tell me if I am experimenting is it better to save and play the same team over and over and see what is working or to keep playing against different teams and see? Because I saved and reloaded against blackburn 3 times and gave away penalties in all 3 games losing 2 by large scorelines and scoring 1 goal in each. Obviously I have to tweak my tactics against different teams but is doing this a good starting point with new tactics? Again thank you for all your help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't do much save and reloading, not my preferred way to play a career game, check the comments in bold for the rest of my thoughts..cheers

Thank you for your tips, I have had a go at it and I am pleased with how everything is going defensively, we have been forcing the attack to play less conventionally and also reducing the effectiveness of their strikers. Posession has also increased.

However I have different problems now, I am conceding goals from crosses in. Now I have managed to block off most crosses but when they do come in more often than not its the opposition striker that gets to it, which alarms me.

Also I am worried about my strikers, they don't seem to be onto it when it comes to shooting and scoring, I have been scoring but my strikers don't take enough shots. My fast striker set to rwb is scoring slightly more and i am happy that we are counter-attacking fairly effectively. I made long shots mixed and that seemed to help a bit. The striker I have dropping back is involved in play a lot and that is fine by me as long as he is also shooting and scoring. Is confidence a factor?

Also about opposition instructions. If I say have opposition CM to closing down always and have my DCs set to closing down own area, What will happen when the CM gets to the edge of the area and open for a shot on goal? Do the players run and tackle him or stay there?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MSCCG:

Thank you for your tips, I have had a go at it and I am pleased with how everything is going defensively, we have been forcing the attack to play less conventionally and also reducing the effectiveness of their strikers. Posession has also increased.

However I have different problems now, I am conceding goals from crosses in. Now I have managed to block off most crosses but when they do come in more often than not its the opposition striker that gets to it, which alarms me.

Also I am worried about my strikers, they don't seem to be onto it when it comes to shooting and scoring, I have been scoring but my strikers don't take enough shots. My fast striker set to rwb is scoring slightly more and i am happy that we are counter-attacking fairly effectively. I made long shots mixed and that seemed to help a bit. The striker I have dropping back is involved in play a lot and that is fine by me as long as he is also shooting and scoring. Is confidence a factor?

Also about opposition instructions. If I say have opposition CM to closing down always and have my DCs set to closing down own area, What will happen when the CM gets to the edge of the area and open for a shot on goal? Do the players run and tackle him or stay there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Defending from crosses is a tough one, you can only do so much by blocking them off and apart from attributes you might want to consider manmarking. Once again its attributes at the end of the day that help out the most. So look to play the right players..anticipation/positioning are key.

The best way to play a strike partnership now is to have one player feeding the second. Rooney/Tevez comes to mind. Just make sure the finisher has good composure and the provider has good decisions, passing and strength.

I don't use OI very much, but one thing about closing down, a player only gets closed down once he is considered a threat...so you may have a situation where 2 DCs go after...you could also try tight marking on the MC to make sure he doesn't get the ball easily or heavy closing down and hard tackling.

I think Matt UK has a very valid point. What on earth is this thread about? Why are you all theorising for a game that doesn't even function correctly? The game is more bugged than John Lennon's phone. Not only this, it looks as though you are trying to decipher the Omega code. Bloody hell lads!

I can tell you quite honestly that you don't need to go in to this much detail. One NEVER CHANGING tactic can plonk you in the top 4 with ease due to the game's flaws. It's too EASY! You haven't noticed yet that you will score 3 or 4 every game? What a waste of time! This reminds me of a cult that is too frightened to let go. You are all scaring me actually. Au revoir FM zombies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Unicorns are real:

I think Matt UK has a very valid point. What on earth is this thread about? Why are you all theorising for a game that doesn't even function correctly? The game is more bugged than John Lennon's phone. Not only this, it looks as though you are trying to decipher the Omega code. Bloody hell lads!

I can tell you quite honestly that you don't need to go in to this much detail. One NEVER CHANGING tactic can plonk you in the top 4 with ease due to the game's flaws. It's too EASY! You haven't noticed yet that you will score 3 or 4 every game? What a waste of time! This reminds me of a cult that is too frightened to let go. You are all scaring me actually. Au revoir FM zombies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice..You have managed to only have negative posts so far...good work icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jsud:

alexuno: how are you giving up chances? Long balls? quick strikes/crosses down/from the wings? Is the opposing team playing around too much and making space around your defense? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've looked at a couple of my games. It's often shots from outside the area, but also alot of crosses. Basicly the whole midfield..

Here is a PKM of the Everton game if someone is intrested. Everton PKM

So, if I understand correctly Rash, you would have your wingers on mixed for both FWD and RWB. Is that correct?

If yes, does that apply to LLM teams? Here is why I ask. I am finding that my wingers are pretty solid except they have Decisions that are under 10. So, they seem to have trouble on mixed setting figuring out what to do.

Would you change them in this case and if yes to what?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luffe__81:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Unicorns are real:

I can tell you quite honestly that you don't need to go in to this much detail. One NEVER CHANGING tactic can plonk you in the top 4 with ease due to the game's flaws. It's too EASY! You haven't noticed yet that you will score 3 or 4 every game? What a waste of time! This reminds me of a cult that is too frightened to let go. You are all scaring me actually. Au revoir FM zombies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice..You have managed to only have negative posts so far...good work icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His name would hint and just a little more optimism, no?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alexuno:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jsud:

alexuno: how are you giving up chances? Long balls? quick strikes/crosses down/from the wings? Is the opposing team playing around too much and making space around your defense? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've looked at a couple of my games. It's often shots from outside the area, but also alot of crosses. Basicly the whole midfield..

Here is a PKM of the Everton game if someone is intrested. Everton PKM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't looked at the game, but it does look like, even with all of that possession, that at least two of your players clocked in a "4" for the game. You are not winning if that happens.

So, for starters, what positions do those players occupy on the pitch?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jablome:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alexuno:

Here is a PKM of the Everton game if someone is intrested. Everton PKM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haven't looked at the game, but it does look like, even with all of that possession, that at least two of your players clocked in a "4" for the game. You are not winning if that happens.

So, for starters, what positions do those players occupy on the pitch? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jones plays as a attacking central midfielder, and Nyatanga plays as a central defender. But this isn't the only game I let chanches against. This was extream.

But I had looked at a couple of games in full match, my defenders, and my MCd in particular, looses the ball to opponent attackers, allmost every attack they got start from my MCd looses the ball. Leon Andreasen that is. It's seemed like my midfield are getting to fare away from him, so he holds on to the ball, and two opponent strikers close him down, win the ball and counter against my central defenders, 2vs2.

I will now try to get my midfield closer to the MCd, not just running up the pitch. Might also lowering tempo one or two notches. Distel Zola will soon take the MCd posistion. He's almost recoverd from his injury.

Thanks anyway .. icon_smile.gif - Hopefully I can sort this out myself icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jablome:

So, for starters, what positions do those players occupy on the pitch? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jones plays as a attacking central midfielder, and Nyatanga plays as a central defender. But this isn't the only game I let chanches against. This was extream.

But I had looked at a couple of games in full match, my defenders, and my MCd in particular, looses the ball to opponent attackers, allmost every attack they got start from my MCd looses the ball. Leon Andreasen that is. It's seemed like my midfield are getting to fare away from him, so he holds on to the ball, and two opponent strikers close him down, win the ball and counter against my central defenders, 2vs2.

I will now try to get my midfield closer to the MCd, not just running up the pitch. Might also lowering tempo one or two notches. Distel Zola will soon take the MCd posistion. He's almost recoverd from his injury.

Thanks anyway .. icon_smile.gif - Hopefully I can sort this out myself icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um...that saved game is a 1-1 draw...and it looked like you should have won it, but welcome to 2008.

So, if I understand correctly Rash, you would have your wingers on mixed for both FWD and RWB. Is that correct?

If yes, does that apply to LLM teams? Here is why I ask. I am finding that my wingers are pretty solid except they have Decisions that are under 10. So, they seem to have trouble on mixed setting figuring out what to do.

Would you change them in this case and if yes to what? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't had much time to play or make posts here...so I will be very brief..work is tying me down..Right now I'm using an LLM team, so a lot of the instructions I have been using have been used by one. The reason why they are on mixed is because I want the players to make that decision, and usually attributes are relative to the league..so a player playing in a good team (relatively speaking) to the rest in the league can afford to have have mixed instructions, but once he's up against a team from another better league, then he won't perform as well. For example..if you give a player playing for Hendon often TTB...when he's played Merthyr he'll perform well if his attributes are relatively better, but if he's up against United....there will be more delays before he finds the pass and gets off poor ones and gets closed down fast.

Now if you find that your wingers are having trouble/or any player has trouble with mixed then immediately change it..you need to decide based on his attributes whether he should dribble often..since he's too dumb to decide. When it comes to FWR its should be ok...cos that's an attacking decision telling him to find space the moment a team has the ball.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ManUnitedJoey:

Hey rashidi, could you give me a hand with my defending please, its still poor.

My post is the one above (page 4) with loads of screenies

Thanks in advance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your formation has no anchors no link people..in my thread I've explained that this is the way to keep a "water-tight" defense...its probably on page 2 or 3.

To put it simply, you have a big gap between the defensive half and the attacking half..

The entire midfield/attack are playing as one, and they have all be told NOT to defend. In this thread, I've explained the effects of mentality...right now those players on attacking mentality are just too far away.

Another thing...your fullbacks have been given defensive mentality and high amounts of creative freedom? So you're telling them to be defensive, but to decide liberally when not to be.

Its fine having no forward runs for the 2 in midfield which would have been what I would have done but their mentality should be on normal(low)...the wingers can be on normal(high)

Would you change them in this case and if yes to what? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't had much time to play or make posts here...so I will be very brief..work is tying me down..Right now I'm using an LLM team, so a lot of the instructions I have been using have been used by one. The reason why they are on mixed is because I want the players to make that decision, and usually attributes are relative to the league..so a player playing in a good team (relatively speaking) to the rest in the league can afford to have have mixed instructions, but once he's up against a team from another better league, then he won't perform as well. For example..if you give a player playing for Hendon often TTB...when he's played Merthyr he'll perform well if his attributes are relatively better, but if he's up against United....there will be more delays before he finds the pass and gets off poor ones and gets closed down fast.

Now if you find that your wingers are having trouble/or any player has trouble with mixed then immediately change it..you need to decide based on his attributes whether he should dribble often..since he's too dumb to decide. When it comes to FWR its should be ok...cos that's an attacking decision telling him to find space the moment a team has the ball. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well thought, Rash. Thank you.

ManUtdJoey...I have a similar formation I use with Gloucester City who aren't a good team...to give you an example:

We were playing a match we were expected to lose, as usual. You see a formation like yours is not easy to defend with, depending on the mentality instructions and the farrows.

Your farrows have made the 2 wide AMs effectively wingforwards. So when you have the ball + their attackin mentality...it sort of takes them out of the equation when it comes to defending. Personally I would not have farrowed them

In my formation, they aren't farrowed.. We started the game and I noticed the AMs and the strikers were all on attacking mentality. Half the time no one put in a foot to close down when we lost the ball. I immediately moved them to mid-normal. Things changed and they played in tandem with the defending half..they went up to attack but also supported the backline.

A formation like that puts a lot of pressure on the 2MCs who will see cards often, so its vital that you do everything you can to make the wingforwards drop back. My mentality change did that...after taking the lead. I immediately dropped the mentality to low normal...this made them more inclined to support the defense,without compromising my attack. We did go down to 10 men, but still hung on to the lead.

When I have some time to play I'll attempt a wingless formation., where passing is done quickly, with loads of running through the centre around 2 link players. The idea is to create a truly attacking formation that parks itself in the opposing half.

ManUtdJoey...I have a similar formation I use with Gloucester City who aren't a good team...to give you an example:

We were playing a match we were expected to lose, as usual. You see a formation like yours is not easy to defend with, depending on the mentality instructions and the farrows.

Your farrows have made the 2 wide AMs effectively wingforwards. So when you have the ball + their attackin mentality...it sort of takes them out of the equation when it comes to defending. Personally I would not have farrowed them

In my formation, they aren't farrowed.. We started the game and I noticed the AMs and the strikers were all on attacking mentality. Half the time no one put in a foot to close down when we lost the ball. I immediately moved them to mid-normal. Things changed and they played in tandem with the defending half..they went up to attack but also supported the backline.

A formation like that puts a lot of pressure on the 2MCs who will see cards often, so its vital that you do everything you can to make the wingforwards drop back. My mentality change did that...after taking the lead. I immediately dropped the mentality to low normal...this made them more inclined to support the defense,without compromising my attack. We did go down to 10 men, but still hung on to the lead. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks rashidi, I'll try this an tell you how I get on. icon_wink.gif

I wouldn't know what kind yours are...but mine are ok for their league...not bad perhaps..but if they came up against a team that is a premiership side, we'd get slaughtered, simply because of their attribute mismatch

My DCs..have defensive mentality, low creative freedom..no TTB/FWR

Low closing down in own area..3 notches I think..passing is short last notch.

Jablome...try slowing down tempo, narrowing width, increase closing down by your front men, set OI to close down their keeper heavily and hard tackling on keeper

Rash, hi there =] long time haven't posted so i thought I should really share some of my issues which I'm failing to figure out:

1. passing: yes, again. I want to clarify what does every passing style means.

for example, playing 3rd notch of short passing or last one of short passing ( +1 = mixed ).

does first notch of direct passing means the player will try to play 1 touch direct passing? please try to xplain deeper the passing styles.

2. Does HUB and mixed fwr mixed rwb for FC are conflicting? aswell as - does HUB with direct passing for my FC could be beneficial playing a counter-attacking football on away with often FWR for wingers. ( assuming he's a good passer, good off the ball, strong and makes good decisions and anticipation of the game ).

3. do you play tight-marking or any style of marking other than loose zonal ? ( I read somewhere that tight-marking is great for winning the ball back immidiatly and launching counter-attacks )

thx in advance, hopefully could make me play the game better.

Archived