Fundamental Football Manager (FFM) - Basics of Tactic Making

I'll assume people have read the FAQ, which covers a lot of the basic stuff. This thread is meant to cover more than just the basics and is aimed to help people get to enjoy playing the game more:

FFM How to make any tactic

<LI> What is the goal of your tactic

Know what you want first. Where are your goals going to come from, where are your players going to be to link the whole thing together. Stuff like that, its basic, but many people including me go onto auto-pilot and forget

<LI>Making your own vs Default tactics

Default tactics are a template, something to work from, not the ultimate solution. If you look at the default tactics virtually every slider is in the middle. Middle means normal so the emphasis is for safety first, even for the attacking tactics. Small adjustments should be made, you can also use the presets and set up the defenders..and then you'll notice there is a difference between a preset- defender and one from the default instructions.

<LI> How do I play defensively?

Short - Normal passing

Slow - Normal Tempo

Low creative freedom

Few TTB instructions

Normal FWR instructions for most players

A normal defensive line

Normal mentalities for most players

Slow to normal tempo

Normal width

High timewasting

Closing down low at the back, normal in midfield and normal upfront

When it comes to passing I generally recommend mixed for most teams because of the weather effect on pitches. Waterlogged pitches are a huge problem for short passing, so sometimes you need to play mixed. A slow to normal tempo allows you to hold possession. Closing down is also interesting, for good sides I'd even consider higher closing down, but sometimes that wears out players too much, lower closing down keeps your players in shape.

If you have your link players on direct passing and one or two wingers on fwr, they could launch very quick counterattacks.

<LI>Slow probing possession based game

Higher closing down in midfield/attack

Passing short

Tempo slow to normal

Width - Wide

More FWR

More players with TTB instructions

Higher CF in front

Ideally some players will be on direct passing to set off quick thrusts

The more players have normal instructions the more players defend, so some players may need

either FWR or farrows to make them run behind the defensive lines

Its easy to go from a defensive set up to one of these, the key lies in the passing and closing down instructions. If you want to knock the ball about, set passing to the low end of short and mixed. Short passing will see players knock it around more. If you want to do probing kind of football your shape is very important. At least 3 centrally placed midfielders are needed. Tempo should be slow or normal. Leave closing down untouched in defense, but increase it in midfield. These kind of formations benefit from some players on direct passing, the thrusts will come from here.

<LI>Attacking tactics

FWR often for midfielders

FWR often for fullbacks

More use of TTB

Slider based formation with at least 6 players on attacking mentality

Wide

Attacking formations need pace, good passing, great anchor players who could HUB and lay off to others and more than one route to goal. Attacking mentalities are important for those who are attacking, which means you want to take risks. With such formations its important to keep your backline on INDIVIDUAL mentalities at all costs so they don't get dragged away. Formations that can use this to great effect are 433 formations, possession shouldn't be your main worry, make sure you get more than one route to goal. .This can come from attacking fullbacks, "kaka" like midfielders and strong AMC who drive attacks through the middle.

Using arrows for players

If you use farrows be careful, setting too high a mentality for a farrowed player could push him further away and make him harder to find. Furthermore all those forward runs he will make will only make him more tired. When setting mentality be aware of its incidental effects on other settings. When a player is set with a high mentality and is given passing instructions its best to give him either direct passing or short. Do this so he can find the player nearest him.

If he has a high mentality and is positioned higher up on the pitch, you shouldn't give him any ttb instructions if he is a winger, getting him to play a short pass or a direct pass to an MC or a striker is a far better option. Setting him on attacking mentality and with TTB on normal will definitely make him waste more passes. Even if his decisions are good he will look for the attacking option first.

Its far better to give a ML a farrow and then give him normal mentality. This means that he will be positioned further up to receive the pass but he will also be more effective when you lose possession of the ball since he is closer to the MC, then he would otherwise have been if he has a high mentality.

Mentality works hand in hand with a host of sliders that can complicate your target or enhance it..its best to keep CF neutral; Closing down normal and tempo normal in most cases.

CF increases the amount of actions a dot will more likely do. Keeping it normal allows his decisions to determine what these are. High mentality settings, coupled with high closing down will wear your players down. There is little neccessity to have high for both. Have closing down on normal for wingers, have it higher for your DMs. You can set really low mentality settings for your DCs. I would recommend having them on 3 if possible for FM 2008. You can even have it on 1. That will make em play like Wimbledon at the back with no thought on building play just hoofing

<LI>Defensive Line -

If you have a high dline then the midfielders and defenders try winning the ball higher up the pitch. This slider works with closing down and is affected by mentality. If your team is attacking and loses the ball, then players will fall back to win the ball.

If you are playing with a high dline and your fullbacks are set to normal mentality and low closing down, their higher positions will affect their closing down. Because they are placed higher, they will close down once a player enters his zone. And sometimes they may even track deep to do that. Attributes and player roles affect these too. If the ball is punted and is headed to the 25yard line, chances are a DC if he has higher anticipation will move to win the header. Bear all these in mind when setting a tactic up.

Player instructions

The best thing about setting player instructions now is "Match Flow", on match day you can actually close the tactical screen which displays the formation and then select player instructions based on their attributes. It certainly saves time.

Passing

Direct is good form of passing for premiership clubs. You can use direct passing for DCs and for wingers.

Short passing is good passing for MCs and for defensive MCs linking with either a DM or a an attacking MC who is set to TTB. In this case have the MC on passing of 1 and the playmaker on either mixed or direct.

Long passing - Not my favourite, use it with your Keeper. Look for a Forward with high jumping and heading, strength and pace and set that guy up to receive long kicks from your keeper. Plenty of cheap goals to be had from here. It doesn't happen ALL THE TIME though.

Short passing witj fast tempo works great with strong teams, but can be disasterous for weak teams who lack te attributes such as stamina, workrate and decisions to make a high tempo passing game work.High tempo also implies a shorter interval between passes, if a playerr can't make a decision where the ball is going it will most likely end up with the opposition.

Run with Ball and Cross Ball

The best setting for this has always been mixed. If you set someone on often for both these sliders, he will do the dribble or cross the ball even when its not the best option. Their first priority will be to follow those instructions. So always use decisions to govern player instructions.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll assume people have read the FAQ, which covers a lot of the basic stuff. This thread is meant to cover more than just the basics and is aimed to help people get to enjoy playing the game more:

FFM How to make any tactic

<LI> What is the goal of your tactic

Know what you want first. Where are your goals going to come from, where are your players going to be to link the whole thing together. Stuff like that, its basic, but many people including me go onto auto-pilot and forget

<LI>Making your own vs Default tactics

Default tactics are a template, something to work from, not the ultimate solution. If you look at the default tactics virtually every slider is in the middle. Middle means normal so the emphasis is for safety first, even for the attacking tactics. Small adjustments should be made, you can also use the presets and set up the defenders..and then you'll notice there is a difference between a preset- defender and one from the default instructions.

<LI> How do I play defensively?

Short - Normal passing

Slow - Normal Tempo

Low creative freedom

Few TTB instructions

Normal FWR instructions for most players

A normal defensive line

Normal mentalities for most players

Slow to normal tempo

Normal width

High timewasting

Closing down low at the back, normal in midfield and normal upfront

When it comes to passing I generally recommend mixed for most teams because of the weather effect on pitches. Waterlogged pitches are a huge problem for short passing, so sometimes you need to play mixed. A slow to normal tempo allows you to hold possession. Closing down is also interesting, for good sides I'd even consider higher closing down, but sometimes that wears out players too much, lower closing down keeps your players in shape.

If you have your link players on direct passing and one or two wingers on fwr, they could launch very quick counterattacks.

<LI>Slow probing possession based game

Higher closing down in midfield/attack

Passing short

Tempo slow to normal

Width - Wide

More FWR

More players with TTB instructions

Higher CF in front

Ideally some players will be on direct passing to set off quick thrusts

The more players have normal instructions the more players defend, so some players may need

either FWR or farrows to make them run behind the defensive lines

Its easy to go from a defensive set up to one of these, the key lies in the passing and closing down instructions. If you want to knock the ball about, set passing to the low end of short and mixed. Short passing will see players knock it around more. If you want to do probing kind of football your shape is very important. At least 3 centrally placed midfielders are needed. Tempo should be slow or normal. Leave closing down untouched in defense, but increase it in midfield. These kind of formations benefit from some players on direct passing, the thrusts will come from here.

<LI>Attacking tactics

FWR often for midfielders

FWR often for fullbacks

More use of TTB

Slider based formation with at least 6 players on attacking mentality

Wide

Attacking formations need pace, good passing, great anchor players who could HUB and lay off to others and more than one route to goal. Attacking mentalities are important for those who are attacking, which means you want to take risks. With such formations its important to keep your backline on INDIVIDUAL mentalities at all costs so they don't get dragged away. Formations that can use this to great effect are 433 formations, possession shouldn't be your main worry, make sure you get more than one route to goal. .This can come from attacking fullbacks, "kaka" like midfielders and strong AMC who drive attacks through the middle.

Using arrows for players

If you use farrows be careful, setting too high a mentality for a farrowed player could push him further away and make him harder to find. Furthermore all those forward runs he will make will only make him more tired. When setting mentality be aware of its incidental effects on other settings. When a player is set with a high mentality and is given passing instructions its best to give him either direct passing or short. Do this so he can find the player nearest him.

If he has a high mentality and is positioned higher up on the pitch, you shouldn't give him any ttb instructions if he is a winger, getting him to play a short pass or a direct pass to an MC or a striker is a far better option. Setting him on attacking mentality and with TTB on normal will definitely make him waste more passes. Even if his decisions are good he will look for the attacking option first.

Its far better to give a ML a farrow and then give him normal mentality. This means that he will be positioned further up to receive the pass but he will also be more effective when you lose possession of the ball since he is closer to the MC, then he would otherwise have been if he has a high mentality.

Mentality works hand in hand with a host of sliders that can complicate your target or enhance it..its best to keep CF neutral; Closing down normal and tempo normal in most cases.

CF increases the amount of actions a dot will more likely do. Keeping it normal allows his decisions to determine what these are. High mentality settings, coupled with high closing down will wear your players down. There is little neccessity to have high for both. Have closing down on normal for wingers, have it higher for your DMs. You can set really low mentality settings for your DCs. I would recommend having them on 3 if possible for FM 2008. You can even have it on 1. That will make em play like Wimbledon at the back with no thought on building play just hoofing

<LI>Defensive Line -

If you have a high dline then the midfielders and defenders try winning the ball higher up the pitch. This slider works with closing down and is affected by mentality. If your team is attacking and loses the ball, then players will fall back to win the ball.

If you are playing with a high dline and your fullbacks are set to normal mentality and low closing down, their higher positions will affect their closing down. Because they are placed higher, they will close down once a player enters his zone. And sometimes they may even track deep to do that. Attributes and player roles affect these too. If the ball is punted and is headed to the 25yard line, chances are a DC if he has higher anticipation will move to win the header. Bear all these in mind when setting a tactic up.

Player instructions

The best thing about setting player instructions now is "Match Flow", on match day you can actually close the tactical screen which displays the formation and then select player instructions based on their attributes. It certainly saves time.

Passing

Direct is good form of passing for premiership clubs. You can use direct passing for DCs and for wingers.

Short passing is good passing for MCs and for defensive MCs linking with either a DM or a an attacking MC who is set to TTB. In this case have the MC on passing of 1 and the playmaker on either mixed or direct.

Long passing - Not my favourite, use it with your Keeper. Look for a Forward with high jumping and heading, strength and pace and set that guy up to receive long kicks from your keeper. Plenty of cheap goals to be had from here. It doesn't happen ALL THE TIME though.

Short passing witj fast tempo works great with strong teams, but can be disasterous for weak teams who lack te attributes such as stamina, workrate and decisions to make a high tempo passing game work.High tempo also implies a shorter interval between passes, if a playerr can't make a decision where the ball is going it will most likely end up with the opposition.

Run with Ball and Cross Ball

The best setting for this has always been mixed. If you set someone on often for both these sliders, he will do the dribble or cross the ball even when its not the best option. Their first priority will be to follow those instructions. So always use decisions to govern player instructions.

Quality post once again Rashidi and it sort of ties into some thoughts I had today about tactics as I study other posts by both yourself, Cleon and other 'switched on' players of FM.

I was thinking today that perhaps there could be some kind of 'skeleton' of tactical settings, like a table of suggested settings for each position which can be used as the foundation of creating a successful tactic and then tweaking from there.

The table wouldn'nt necessarily have to contain pinpoint accuracy when it comes to slider settings, just in increments of 5 or so for things like Mentality, CF, Closing Down etc, recommendations basically to get people started.

Obviously depending on the shape of your tactic and of course your players, some positional settings may be quite different but I sort of see it as set of Lego bricks which when used together create an object, some bricks are slightly different shapes or of different colour but there is commonality between them.

It might be a interesting project to get others involved in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Powermonger:

Quality post once again Rashidi and it sort of ties into some thoughts I had today about tactics as I study other posts by both yourself, Cleon and other 'switched on' players of FM.

I was thinking today that perhaps there could be some kind of 'skeleton' of tactical settings, like a table of suggested settings for each position which can be used as the foundation of creating a successful tactic and then tweaking from there.

The table wouldn'nt necessarily have to contain pinpoint accuracy when it comes to slider settings, just in increments of 5 or so for things like Mentality, CF, Closing Down etc, recommendations basically to get people started.

Obviously depending on the shape of your tactic and of course your players, some positional settings may be quite different but I sort of see it as set of Lego bricks which when used together create an object, some bricks are slightly different shapes or of different colour but there is commonality between them.

It might be a interesting project to get others involved in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are already pre set templates for each position in the tactic screen.

Great read Rash once again, you should see my blue square north team now with the tips from your cambridge thread.

I will bear these tips in mind when i decide to create a more adventurous tactic as my solid 4132 gets results but i feel i could attack more, plus I just like building tactics.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Powermonger:

Obviously depending on the shape of your tactic and of course your players, some positional settings may be

quite different but I sort of see it as set of Lego bricks which when used together create an object, some bricks are slightly different shapes or of different colour but there is commonality between them.

It might be a interesting project to get others involved in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I was thinking of that too, instead of what attributes are needed, it'd be what are the individual instructions needed to achieve what they have been set to do. The constraint in doing pre-sets and this is one of the things I learned after creating something similar for FM06 is that you could have a variety of instructions and you essentially need to know what you want to achieve. I think within this thread we could get it done.

Lets start with DCs - the easiest of the group. We can discuss it here before someone goes off to create a

table. I'm really struggling for time nowadays.

[b]Individual Instructions for Defenders[/b]

Assuming you are playing a back four formation and whether its attacking or not the instructions will hardly ever vary:

[i]Defender in a Defensive/Attacking formation

Average standard team, with a normal defensive line. Team is characterized with trying to hold possession when possible, and intelligent build up play [b]Defensive/Control/Attacking Tactics[/b][/i]

<LI> Standard Defender

Mentality: Defensive(5)

Creative Freedom: Low (5)

Passing: Short 6

TTB: None

FWR: None

Cross: None

Closing Down: Own Area (5)

Defenders who are expected to attack for counters, characteristic of good sides

<LI> Attacking Defender

Mentality: Defensive

Creative Freedom: None

Passing: Direct (first notch)

TTB: [b]Normal[/b]

Cross : None

Closing Down: Own Area (5)

[i]Defenders in classic 3 man backline formations[/i]

<LI>Sweepers

Mentality: Defensive (last notch)

Passing: Direct (first notch)

Closing Down: Last notch of own area or possibly own half.

<LI>Stoppers

Mentality: Defensive (last notch)

Passing: Short - Mixed (last notch of short)

Closing Down: Slightly higher if you're using a sweeper behind them. Preferably in the own area region as well. Probably the last notch,since you want them to drop back and close down first.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rashidi1:

Actually I was thinking of that too, instead of what attributes are needed, it'd be what are the individual instructions needed to achieve what they have been set to do.

The constraint in doing pre-sets and this is one of the things I learned after creating something similar for FM06 is that you could have a variety of instructions and you essentially need to know what you want to achieve. I think within this thread we could get it done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice start Rashidi, we'll have more Lego pieces in no time to help with the building blocks of tactics.

Yesterday I was comparing a couple of the tactics I got from these forums, from both yourself, Cleon and others, and noticed that the tactics that had common positions all had fairly similar settings for each position. They weren't identical but they were close enough to realise there would not be a huge difference in settings from tactic to tactic.

if i had read well, those advices are for premier teams. What about conference north/south? Specially about passing, i use to set it to 13, with 13 tempo, 13 width and 13 dl. Is it right?

How does a narrow field, or a short one to these tactics?

Thank you!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xouman:

if i had read well, those advices are for premier teams. What about conference north/south? Specially about passing, i use to set it to 13, with 13 tempo, 13 width and 13 dl. Is it right?

How does a narrow field, or a short one to these tactics?

Thank you! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It should be relevant to all teams..the only difference would be for conference teams is not to play too short for passing, and to limit TTB to only those players who have good decision. Hmm I havent' ever played a narrow midfield with a conference side, never seen the need to frankly.

Most pitches are congested and short, so I typically either play normal or wide.

sorry guys, but whats ttb and fwr? Im new to the game and desperately trying to tweak an arsenal team thats struggling horrendously.

I made it an attacking formation and tweaked some individual settings, and im starting to get a few results.

No offense rashidi1, but what exactly qualifies you to suggest that your advice on these boards are factually accurate?

A lot of your advice is sound in theory and that is exactly what it is 'your theory'

I am not having a go and I apologize to you for posting in this thread.

You obviously spend a lot of time playing the game and I'm sure you have your own ideas of how the game engine works, but I think a lot of what you say is so obvious. It amazes me that so many people on these boards do not know many things you say, most are actually in the games instruction booklet!

*waits to be slaughtered!*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No offense rashidi1, but what exactly qualifies you to suggest that your advice on these boards are factually accurate?

A lot of your advice is sound in theory and that is exactly what it is 'your theory'

You obviously spend a lot of time playing the game and I'm sure you have your own ideas of how the game engine works, but I think a lot of what you say is so obvious. It amazes me that so many people on these boards do not know many things you say, most are actually in the games instruction booklet!

*waits to be slaughtered!* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the point in this? Leave this out of this informative thread - take this elsewhere or email Rashidi1 direct. Don't got clogging up his thread with your nonsense.

(sorry for reacting Rashidi, I suppose I am giving him the attention he wants) icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ste1978:

No offense rashidi1, but what exactly qualifies you to suggest that your advice on these boards are factually accurate?

Noone should be slaughtering you LOL..actually what you say is true...a lot of what I say is ACTUALLY in the manual, sometimes people forget.

Perhaps its that putting together which a lot of people lack. What I suggest isn't any theory, its very simple actually. Decide who defends, who attacks, who does both and off you go.

Its no theory, just old fashioned common sense. I have been considering shutting up more..its not good really offering up so much advice and then having people with cracks having an easy crack at the game so to speak.

Hey Rashidi your tactical help is very usefull and I read your advices with interest. I've been playing this game since the old days and I've never had any problems with tactics. However, I'm always interested in how others (such as yourself and Cleon) deal with the tactical side of the game.The similarities are amazing icon_smile.gif

Anyway....I'm big Barca fan since the early 90's and I always play with them or I mostly try to copy their real-life tactics into the game with other big clubs. But playing 4-3-3 is very challenging as it gives you alot of options and variations. I want to keep possession and have good balance, so I've created three set-ups of possession based 4-3-3 - normal,defensive and attacking. I was wondering if you have any interest in trying to share/discuss any set-ups you can create for the 4-3-3 formation. My own tactics work great but as I said I'm always interested in what others do as we can all improve!Plus I think there are plenty of people who I suspect use the 4-3-3 also.

Cheers!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rashidi1:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ste1978:

Noone should be slaughtering you LOL..actually what you say is true...a lot of what I say is ACTUALLY in the manual, sometimes people forget.

Perhaps its that putting together which a lot of people lack. What I suggest isn't any theory, its very simple actually. Decide who defends, who attacks, who does both and off you go.

Its no theory, just old fashioned common sense. I have been considering shutting up more..its not good really offering up so much advice and then having people with cracks having an easy crack at the game so to speak. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hopoe you don't mind me pre-posting a bit of TT&F '08 to answer this, Rash.

The most common complaint in the forums for FM07 was the ambiguity of the sliders. People complained that they didn't know how they worked, what they did, and the plethora of competing theories didn't help. Indeed, they argued that the competing theories 'proved' that the game was flawed. Some even argued that we shouldn't write theory unless we 'knew' we were right; that is was dangerous to do otherwise. However, does this equate to reality? Yes, there is a UEFA Pro-License for managers, but do managers really follow the same practices. Can anyone really argue that Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, Benitez and Eriksson share the same management style? All are successful, but all undoubtedly put into practice different theoretical approaches to the art of management.

Not knowing exactly what the sliders do allows us to approach FM in a similar manner. We have to use our intuitive experience to construct a style of play and management we are happy with. Some tactical theorists try to use a one-size fits all solution and tweak in-match, others have a home and away package, TT&F employs a five-pack and the extreme tacticians design 14 sets. All work to an extent; all are more or less useful. As in the real world of management, those who wish to manage must choose a system to follow, cherry-pick between systems, come up with one themselves, or combine all three to create a personal best practice. The frameworks and theorems we write about are no more than a series of more or less useful guidelines that the reader can choose to learn from/use/reject depending on how they 'feel' about them. It is style over and above science.

Quite simply, management is about the application of theory. The whole point of threads such as Rash's is that they make explicit the thoughts of somebody who is playing the game and doing well at it. Even if a lot of it is highlighting the relevant sections of the manual, it is a useful exercise, and Rash's threads are a whole lot more than that anyway. You can choose to use it, see if it works, stick with it or discard it to your heart's content, but critiquing the 'accuracy' doesn't actually mean anything.

Personally, I think it is great someone else is going down the theory route in such a manner. I foresee a FFM v TT&F showdown. icon_smile.gif

Thank you for taking the time to post this. As you know I'm a newbie to FM and for the most part football in general. URL=http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/521102691/m/2452098453]My "please help a neophyte"thread[/url]

As the poster a few back said, most of this might well be in the manual, but as someone who printed out the manual and a ton of other threads, it's one thing to read it in a manual filled with a ton of information, and though well written overall, as a total newbie it's a lot to digest, and threads like these are extremely helpful in allowing me to wrap my North American brain around a specific issue or facet of the game. Also, getting his reasoning (and opposing reasoning as well) in the same place as his theory is also helpful in trying to pick up the intricacies of the sport and the game.

I understand that in these types of games, there is no one right answer, but there is a lot of right theories, if that makes any sense!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wwfan:

Personally, I think it is great someone else is going down the theory route in such a manner. I foresee a FFM v TT&F showdown. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're most welcome to most in any of my threads..a 'showdown' you say!Well I'm not much of a theoretician, I actually apply a good deal of 'real-life' common sense with management. IRL when you manage people you find out what their "attributes" are and then you identify the right 'position' for them to play in.

Every challenge you face is then a systematic breaking down of a big problem into manageable smaller chunks.

And this is basically my whole approach, identify what attributes are important, understand what a formation is meant to achieve, and then break the formation down in parts so that you make each area work as well as it can.

Its an approach both of us share, and I've noticed something already, pretty soon all of the approaches will eventually settle down in some general agreement.

Asmodeu's "Slider Apathy" approach is very applicable, as is your approach on having different tactics for every occassion. Mine is to use one formation but to apply slider changes where possible to get the best result. In essence we're all saying the same thing but getting there in different ways.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yonko:

Hey Rashidi your tactical help is very usefull and I read your advices with interest. I've been playing this game since the old days and I've never had any problems with tactics. However, I'm always interested in how others (such as yourself and Cleon) deal with the tactical side of the game.The similarities are amazing icon_smile.gif

Anyway....I'm big Barca fan since the early 90's and I always play with them or I mostly try to copy their real-life tactics into the game with other big clubs. But playing 4-3-3 is very challenging as it gives you alot of options and variations. I want to keep possession and have good balance, so I've created three set-ups of possession based 4-3-3 - normal,defensive and attacking. I was wondering if you have any interest in trying to share/discuss any set-ups you can create for the 4-3-3 formation. My own tactics work great but as I said I'm always interested in what others do as we can all improve!Plus I think there are plenty of people who I suspect use the 4-3-3 also.

Cheers! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its interesting when people want to take formations from real life and then replicate them in the game. Its not always possible to do it 100%, but we can usually achieve a good balance.

If you're looking at that formation it'd be useful if you could let me know how the 3 in midfield are supposed to work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yonko:

Cheers! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its interesting when people want to take formations from real life and then replicate them in the game. Its not always possible to do it 100%, but we can usually achieve a good balance.

If you're looking at that formation it'd be useful if you could let me know how the 3 in midfield are supposed to work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the way I see the midfield play is with 1DMC + 2MC's, where the DM plays as midfield-libero. His closing-down is 10, mentality is 8, CF = 10, FWR,RWB, Crosses = rarely but TTB is mixed. In that role I like to play someone with good first touch, passing, anticipation, decision and positioning. Currently with Barca I use Zapater, Marquez, Yaya Toure or Iniesta there. For the 2 MC's what I like to do is give them FWR and TTB often and split their mentalities - one on 11 the other on 13. CD is set on 15 for both and CF is 12. Passing for all three is on 1 though!!! On the 2D screen (extended highlights) I see some amazing combinations and then the killer ball to the front three, followed up with another combination and a goal. The 2 MC's should have good first touch, passing, creativity, decision and off the ball. Sometimes I set one of them as my playmaker but also to swap position with the other one. 90% of the time he sets up a goal right away! What do you think about all of this?

Next time I'll share my ideas for the front three.....

Hiya rash!

i wanna hear some advices about how to improve my game tactic and strategy.

currently playing bordeaux on ligue 1 france, i want to play a game of counterattacking football, e.g - holding the ball when playing home and then instantly when a break is possible play a killer ball, or else when playing away taking the minimal risk possible and then breaking with a killer ball.

currently i set up a 4-4-2 with short f-arrow on wingers, a mcd with a b-arrow to DMC and a mca with a f-arrow to AMC position.

DCs are set to first notch of direct, fullbacks last notch of short, strikers 3-4th notch of short, mca mixed, dmc last notch of short, wingers last notch of short.

how would you set up the CF given to players home\away, tempo and width? perhaps i should change all the passing system ?

Playing like a diamond you are...but with wingers well forward and running early...you may want to consider a defensive mentality for the defenders, last notch of normal for the fullbacks.

Direct passing from the back means the defenders will look for targets up front..so dont' play them on ultra or they will hoof the balls up.

That DM needs a normal mentality. Direct passing will get the ball forward in a hurry but you need to decide who has the best decisions and passing to pull it off. FWR often for the wingers. If the wingers have direct passing they too will look to cross early.

The centre of the pitch is a concern for me, the MCd has a lot of work to do, so teamwork between the MCa and him and the wingers is important. You may want to put the wingers on normal mentality if you find that they aren't supporting the defense enough

I'm using the Theorem of RoO, means i use a high mentalities on home and low away, so its pretty balanced on each tactic, the wingers are the middle mentality.

so at home wingers should play often FWR and RWB, cross mixed ttb mixed shooting rare, right? and you say they should be playing direct passing? im looking for my MCa to play the killer balls, thats why he's given a mixed passing and a high CF. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Direct passing from the back means the defenders will look for targets up front..so dont' play them on ultra or they will hoof the balls up.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i didnt quiet get you there.

what about away matches? how should wingers be set ?

So knowing the type of players Barca have for those positions, what would your instructions be? Higher CD for the DM than for the MC's? No FWR, RWB for DM? Personally I like to have one of the two MC's on much higher mentality in order to have him arrive late in the area, Preferably Iniesta or Deco, but Eidur fill that role perfectly...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by korzy:

I'm using the Theorem of RoO, means i use a high mentalities on home and low away, so its pretty balanced on each tactic, the wingers are the middle mentality.

so at home wingers should play often FWR and RWB, cross mixed ttb mixed shooting rare, right? and you say they should be playing direct passing? im looking for my MCa to play the killer balls, thats why he's given a mixed passing and a high CF. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Direct passing from the back means the defenders will look for targets up front..so dont' play them on ultra or they will hoof the balls up.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i didnt quiet get you there.

what about away matches? how should wingers be set ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why make something so complicated?

Follow a simple method of playing.

First question you want to ask is:

1. Who are the players I will depend on to defend

2. Who are the players who will only attack

3. Whoa are the players I expect to do both.

Once you've decided that understand the next step..if someone is going to be attacking..what kind of player do I want him to be:

You can have a winger who likes to drop behind the defensive line and dribble all the way to the flank (FWR Often, RWB Often, Cross ball from Bye, cross mixed) Or you can have a player who picks the ball up IN FRONT of the defenders and likes to run at them..in this case FWR none, RWB often...

Or you can have a defensive kind of player who just tackles..and then plays TTB.

Ask yourself the question how you want your players to play...not me. You know your players better than me.. So if you have players you know can defend well, then you may as well have a deep- normal defensive line, low closing down, max width and your fullbacks and DCs can all be on mixed or direct passing, and all they do when they get the ball is find a killer pass...it will work if you have players set to FWR often up front.

If you have players set to FWR none, then the ball drops to them, they may run a bit and then also could look for the killer ball. Now who plays what and how you channel is important.

Understand why the instructions for individual players are set up...cos it all depends on what kind of football you want to see, you can have winger making forward runs behind the defensive line and another running at defenders..it all depends on what you want. So don't ask me, decide how you want to play an away game and then set up a tactic accordingly.

Its not difficult but once you start making rigid rules on how home and away games should be played, things get too confusing. Personally my tactics are usually all set up the same way. I divide a team into those who attack, those who defend and those who do both.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rune_star:

So knowing the type of players Barca have for those positions, what would your instructions be? Higher CD for the DM than for the MC's? No FWR, RWB for DM? Personally I like to have one of the two MC's on much higher mentality in order to have him arrive late in the area, Preferably Iniesta or Deco, but Eidur fill that role perfectly... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I probably would need to watch the game first in friendlies...cos this may be a very lightweight formation in midfield, you'd need the DMC to close down heavily and the 2 MCs may need to close down in own half, and yes a higher mentality could mean they support the attack, but you can also do that with normal mentality and tick fwr so that they do both attack and defend

hmm, it just appears that with normal mentality (tried it!) and FWR they can't support the attack as much as I want them to. Bear in mind that in 9/10 matches, Barca dominate so much that buildup play takes place on last third of opp. half which means just outside the penalty area... Even though FWR is turned on. In fact, I enjoy more solid buildup play with NO FWR for the attacking MC, as he holds his position much better as a 'playstation' for the front three AND as a longshot threat outside the area...

i feel you well rash, I just can't find the right mentaleties for players if not using a already made method ( RoO at this case ) and then i play a loosey football.

assuming i want to have 4 main strategies:

Home:

- control\possession : where i hold the ball and frustrate the opposition and play a killer ball once in a while ( my assumption here is that only 1-2 players should be playing mixed\direct passing high on midfield to play the killer ball, right ? ).

- attack : looking for a goal when i fall behind, playing a higher mentality and more players given FWR with more TTB, correct?

away:

- possession\counter : trying to counter the opposition by not giving them the ball and breaking with a killer ball once in a while

- defend\counter : when leading or playing a tough away game then knocking the ball upfront and already 2-3 players waiting there to nail a goal and clinch the match.

so, ive got a gameplan i just can't find out how to set it with the sliders. (im still using 07, so take that into consideration )

mentalities should be lower on away matches as simple as it sounds, but how lower? and what mentalities players should be given by default? is there any rule here or you just lets call it 'guess' what mentality a player should play if you want him to attack ( attacking ofcourse, but how much attacking so he won't get too far from rest of the team ).

same for defence.

I know this post is a bit confusing but it's about time i figure out how to do it all alone and not relating on others, so one time I want to understand it all and go make something myself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

assuming i want to have 4 main strategies:

Home:

- control\possession : where i hold the ball and frustrate the opposition and play a killer ball once in a while ( my assumption here is that only 1-2 players should be playing mixed\direct passing high on midfield to play the killer ball, right ? ). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that would be a good idea..the players should have good teamwork, passing and decisions

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

- attack : looking for a goal when i fall behind, playing a higher mentality and more players given FWR with more TTB, correct?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any attacking formation requires plenty of forward runs, though you do want some central players acting as links these players can have mixed forward runs, so they basically play other players through, these players should be strong and be able to pass. They would be the ones you give full TTB to, others you may want to think about depending on your formation

away:

- possession\counter : trying to counter the opposition by not giving them the ball and breaking with a killer ball once in a while

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This formation should have a mixed attack, some players on short passing like the central midfielders and the wingers and forwards on direct passing. Passing at the back should be short/tempo should be short to normal to help you hold possession, and quite a few players will have to have a normal mentality range which means they drop back to defend as much as possible. If you close down too much you will allow the AI tonnes of space in the middle, in this kind of formation you may want to soak back and allow them to move forward..formations tend to have a low-normal defensive line.

- defend\counter : when leading or playing a tough away game then knocking the ball upfront and already 2-3 players waiting there to nail a goal and clinch the match.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same as above in FM2007, the holding man upfront allows you to do a fair bit so does Hold up Ball for a few players in midfield

(im still using 07, so take that into consideration )I'm trying to, but as you can understand all this will be off memory and some things may apply differently on FM2008, which I recommend you pick up as there are Attacking fullbacks who play devastatingly down the flanks

mentalities should be lower on away matches as simple as it sounds, but how lower? and what mentalities players should be given by default? is there any rule here or you just lets call it 'guess' what mentality a player should play if you want him to attack ( attacking ofcourse, but how much attacking so he won't get too far from rest of the team ).

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just think of mentality like this: Attack - (they won't defend) Normal (They will attack and defend) and Defensive ( They never attack)

Based on this just apply what you think is ideal for your team, remember the higher their mentality the further away they are form the defensive line. If you are not sure...set it to middle of normal and then adjust up or down..because each player can react differently, some need to be a bit deeper because they may be slower.

ok thanks for backing up my thoughts =)

I did create 4 diffrent tactics so now i have a winger and an MCa who are set to rare FWR - they are the linking players for the attacks.

MCd given mixed fwr on home, rare on away and HUB so players can join the attack ( perhaps i should give him direct passing on away? because home i play him short because he's already higher on pitch ).

strikers both given mixed FWR, 1 winger set to often FWR and cross from byline on home while the other on rare, both RWB often.

my MCa is given rare FWR so he can be the linking unit, is that a mistake? because he can score goals and rare FWR won't allow him to get into deep danger zones, although he's given a very high CF and a free role.

and again rash, thanks for the input I'll update here with how and what's going on with it =) looking forward for your answer for this one !

Rashidi,

firstly, really enjoy reading your threads mate, have learnt a lot about FM through them

Had a question about the personal instructions for the defenders. My team is scoring freely buy also conceding goals like there is no tomorrow.

I am playing a 4-2-3-1 (flat back 4, two MC, three AMC and one up top) with short passing and a slowish-mixed tempo, trying to dominate and win the game in midfield. I have succeeded in doign that and have possession > 55% in most games and almost always outshoot the opposition. But I am just unable to keep the opposition out. My center backs never seem to pick up their strikers. Just lost 5-0 away at Everton with Andrew Johnson (how ****in overrated is he?) getting 4 goals!!

My back four is -

Parnaby Gioda Cahais Queudrue

Center back instructions -

Mentality - 5

CF - 1

Passing - 8

Closing down - 5

Use non-specific man-marking. usually tight, except when against quick strikers I turn tight marking off

Fullbacks -

Mentality - 7-10

CF - 4-6

Passing - 10-11

Closing down - 8-10

Tight zonal marking

Also have Muamba and Leon Andreasen playing in central midfield with defensive-normal mentalities and protecting the defense.

I find that a lot of goals are conceded because my defenders just dont pick up the opposition strikers or are not tight enough on them. I dont think its a question of having crap defenders because both Gioda and Cahais have brilliant stats and I have received bids of 10 million for each. Any ideas?\

oh and my DLine is usually 10-12

Hi mate,

I know this thread wasn't for me but what exactly do u mean by 7-10? that's more of an attacking mentality right? If so this is probably why you are conceding so many.

It would probably be best to focus your whole defence strictly on defending (i.e. Ultra Defensive mentality). If anything set the forward runs from your full backs to "none" (just gonna have to rely on your midfeild to get you the goals) and finally make sure that at least one of your DMC's has both "FWR's" and RWB as "none" also.

Another more simple soultion is to do with your goalkeeper. I think you'd be very surprise at how a new, quality gk can change your defence. As well as decent GK attributes, look for one with excellent attributes for aerial ability, command of area, handling*, positioning*, and communication*. Because sometimes no matter how much you tweak your defence it simply wont work without the right keeper. Hope it helped (sorry for intruding. not trying to boast...)

It may also be useful to set all your CM marking to zonal (so they dont get dragged out of position).

set your CB's to man marking (Don't use tight marking trust me. Only use it if you have a REALLY slow defender)

Your fullbacks however can use tight marking. Though its best to mark the zone with them.

TIP: Opposition instructions.

This is a tactic i always use to great effect. Whilst the game is ongoing and you find that the opposition are coming back into the game press pause and go to the opposition's stats screen. From here, locate the player through which the majorety of the passes are going through and designate someone from your own team to specifically mark that particular player. This works best if coupled with "tight marking".

WARNING. ONCE YOU DO THIS KEEP A CONSTANT EYE ON THE OPPOSITION FORMATION. FM TENDS TO QUICKLY CHANGE THIS IN A SPLIT SECOND AND THE EFFECTS ARE INSTANTANEOUS. YOU HAVE TO ENSURE THAT AS SOON AS THEY CHANGE, YOU PAUSE THE GAME AND ADJUST THAT DESIGNATED PLAYERS MARKING SETTINGS, OTHERWISE HE WILL BE MARKING SOMEONE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AND GETTING DRAGGED WAY OUT OF POSITION. Hope this helps, at least give it a try

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by karan316:

Rashidi,

firstly, really enjoy reading your threads mate, have learnt a lot about FM through them

Had a question about the personal instructions for the defenders. My team is scoring freely buy also conceding goals like there is no tomorrow.

I am playing a 4-2-3-1 (flat back 4, two MC, three AMC and one up top) with short passing and a slowish-mixed tempo, trying to dominate and win the game in midfield. I have succeeded in doign that and have possession > 55% in most games and almost always outshoot the opposition. But I am just unable to keep the opposition out. My center backs never seem to pick up their strikers. Just lost 5-0 away at Everton with Andrew Johnson (how ****in overrated is he?) getting 4 goals!!

My back four is -

Parnaby Gioda Cahais Queudrue

Center back instructions -

Mentality - 5

CF - 1

Passing - 8

Closing down - 5

Use non-specific man-marking. usually tight, except when against quick strikers I turn tight marking off

Fullbacks -

Mentality - 7-10

CF - 4-6

Passing - 10-11

Closing down - 8-10

Tight zonal marking

Also have Muamba and Leon Andreasen playing in central midfield with defensive-normal mentalities and protecting the defense.

I find that a lot of goals are conceded because my defenders just dont pick up the opposition strikers or are not tight enough on them. I dont think its a question of having crap defenders because both Gioda and Cahais have brilliant stats and I have received bids of 10 million for each. Any ideas?\

oh and my DLine is usually 10-12 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't use numbers to describe something to me, please. Use the name on the slider. Are your fullbacks on last notch of normal? That's the position they should be in, IF you want them to go up and down to support the attack.

I don't like tightmarking so much, try taking it off on the central defenders. Do the same for the fullbacks. The closing down should be "in own area" try 6 or 7.

Do not make the mentality of the CDs ultra defensive, it will not help you keep possession. What are their passing instructions, ideally..short passing last notch for the whole group.

In midfield try and keep closing down to own area around 10-12. I can see you're trying to make an "Arrowhead" too...that's as much help as you're gonna get from me.. icon_wink.gif

okay Rash, I gotta say you've evulated me to the next level of playing FM.

I absoulotly created my very OWN ( really own ) tactics, and atleast the Away-possession works GREAT.

I've set things up just like we discussed, playing the team instructions like this:

http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=matchoa5.jpg

Diarra, given the Anchorman role to HUB and play first notch of direct passing has created a massive diffrence in my game, as he was tearing apart the opposition defence with killer balls when needed, as well as scoring 3.

I have given Diarra these instructions:

http://img526.imageshack.us/my.php?image=matchcb3.jpg

I also decided to set my fullbacks and DCs on last notch of short passing, so they'll knock the ball to Diarra and from there it's all up to him to decide wether he wants to play a killer ball or keep possession.

fullbacks were given fwr mixed rwb rare ttb mixed and cross from deep often. mentality is last before normal ( +1 = normal ) and closing down is pretty low for DCs (3) and higher for FBs(10) while Diarra is doing the tough job with a high close-down.

1 winger is set to mixed fwr and cross from byline, mix ttb and cross and plays mixed passing.

the other winger is often fwr and same instructions, although he plays Direct passing, so he could play the ball forwards.

last thing is my MCa - micoud which was given these instructions:

http://img249.imageshack.us/my.php?image=matchtx0.jpg

I've tested it and it worked as a magic

match stats:

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=matchwd6.jpg

action zones:

http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=matchcw3.jpg

player stats:

http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=matchat1.jpg

for the very first time I can say my tactic worked flawlessly.

now a question about how to tweak it:

If I want to go on defend, then I should switch to a narrower width, slower tempo and higher Time-wasting, correct? what about passing? Diarra should play short passing to keep possession, right? and fullbacks FWR rare? also try to take 1 mentality click down from each player? and 1 closing down aswell? should I remove F-arrows from wingers?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gandelf The White:

It may also be useful to set all your CM marking to zonal (so they dont get dragged out of position).

set your CB's to man marking (Don't use tight marking trust me. Only use it if you have a REALLY slow defender)

Your fullbacks however can use tight marking. Though its best to mark the zone with them.

TIP: Opposition instructions.

This is a tactic i always use to great effect. Whilst the game is ongoing and you find that the opposition are coming back into the game press pause and go to the opposition's stats screen. From here, locate the player through which the majorety of the passes are going through and designate someone from your own team to specifically mark that particular player. This works best if coupled with "tight marking".

WARNING. ONCE YOU DO THIS KEEP A CONSTANT EYE ON THE OPPOSITION FORMATION. FM TENDS TO QUICKLY CHANGE THIS IN A SPLIT SECOND AND THE EFFECTS ARE INSTANTANEOUS. YOU HAVE TO ENSURE THAT AS SOON AS THEY CHANGE, YOU PAUSE THE GAME AND ADJUST THAT DESIGNATED PLAYERS MARKING SETTINGS, OTHERWISE HE WILL BE MARKING SOMEONE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AND GETTING DRAGGED WAY OUT OF POSITION. Hope this helps, at least give it a try </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree about keeping an eye on opponent formation. I just went 2-0 ahead at WBA and was out of trouble untill then. Suddenly they are all over me via flanks. I check their formation, and they have both MR and ML with long farrows, which naturally caused trouble. I simply set my both fullbacks to man mark them ( not tightly, because their wingers are a lot more explosive than my fullbacks) and it worked treat and I got my 'game back' so to speak and won 0-3 in the end.

Simple but effective. icon_smile.gif Simple things like these shouldn't be overlooked, especially when you're not superiour team to your opponent.

Sucks I can't edit my posts.

I also wanted to add, your instruction for anchorman is great Korzy. I use mine similar too, but I changed it to direct like you and he seems to create scoring opportunities more icon_smile.gif My DMF is Nengomashe, who has amazing hardworking attributes especially for championship, but also he's amazing passer.

Just to add a random question: how do you guys feel about setting hardworking DMF as playmaker? He also has "dictates tempo" on his prefered moves, I haven't tried him as playmaker yet because he's got heavy duties on defence ( barrow from DMF --> DC position, because I just am underdog still ). Would it be disasterous? Though he sees ball plenty already because my defenders and fullbacks play it through him.

Also if opponent has an exceptional striker or midfielder, I assign him to manmark him and hard tackle. Everything I can to make their game miserable and wish they weren't on field and has worked good. icon_smile.gif Sure it might open more space to their other players, but these amazing players can cause a lot more trouble for me unless I try to leash them.

Great topic, I have learned a lot here about tactics. Most importantly this has made me from absolute clueless to someone who has more clue what whatever slider does, instead of keeping guessing and now I've been comfortable making my own formations. Thank you and keep it up! icon_smile.gif

Credits to Rashid1, as he made me understand how to understand the game better.

I feel my defence struggles just a bit when opposition changes formation ( adding f-arrows or taking them off at most ) as suddenly they score on counter attack out of nowhere.

should I add man-marking to my DCs if they play w/o f-arrows on wings? so the DCs will focus on taking the opposition FCs down? another thing: would it be beneficial to take 2 notches of close-down slider from FBs when oppo wingers given long f-arrows?

hi mate.. i'm new to FM and football...i need some of ur advice...

i'm playing 4-1-2-2-1 (or maybe called 433 formation? mourinho used)

my both CMs to attack (i have set mentality to 13) and DM to stay back.. how do i play one-touch football in the midfields?

ok now, my fullbacks have short passing (so tat they can pass to CM or DM to do the jobs) and deep cross often , FWR-mixed,RWB-mixed

and i followed ur (standard defenders) instructions for my CBs

I now simply started man mark opposition RM and LM ALWAYS, no matter what, because against me opponent always looked most dangerous that way. My centre is covered with DMF and good centrebacks, but defending wingplay was always shaky.

Probably stated the obvious to myself, but it seems to limit their plays via flanks a lot. Haven't tried tight marking that way yet.

I'm also wondering, when should CD'd be on man mark and when on zonal? Which one provides better defensive results? I always use man mark with central defenders, unless opponent plays with 3 upfront.

Great thread Rashidi.

I am having some succes with my Derby side, looking to reach the top four in my third season, many thanks to you. icon_smile.gif

But (when) are you going to continue the indvidual instructions?? icon_biggrin.gif

You'll have to try it out, it isn't the same settings as what I would like to do but its a team you're familiar with </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, what would you do Rashidi? Very interested to know....Lately I've changed the passing for the 2 MC's to mixed (2-3 notches away from short), mentality on normal(10) for both, one FWR on mixed, the other on often still. I see better attacking flow and more quality killer balls for the front three. Also during every match I tweak my tempo for about 15-20 min. spells from slow to highest normal. My width is always on the first notch of wide. I must say that I see my fullbacks join the build-up in midfield very nicely. I am not sure though if its their quality (I have Zambrotta/Zaccardo and Abidal/Silvinho) or my instructions???!!! icon_confused.gif

Anyway, I think I've seen you post 4-3-3 formations before, but I guess you are on a differrent formation at differrent level right now. I also like to use 4-1-2-1-2 (Back 4+DM+2MC+AMC+2FC) with the two forwards sarrowed outward

Please Rashidi, if you could share some of your ideas about 433 I would be very thankful

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rune_star:

hmm, it just appears that with normal mentality (tried it!) and FWR they can't support the attack as much as I want them to. Bear in mind that in 9/10 matches, Barca dominate so much that buildup play takes place on last third of opp. half which means just outside the penalty area... Even though FWR is turned on. In fact, I enjoy more solid buildup play with NO FWR for the attacking MC, as he holds his position much better as a 'playstation' for the front three AND as a longshot threat outside the area... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rune-star, that's what I want my Barca to do! Dominate possession in the middle/attacking thirds and don't let the opposition play any attacks. Best form of defense is offense icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gificon_wink.gif

Having said that, i'm thinking maybe I need higher CD for all my midfielders....hmmmm icon_confused.gif

Try seting up the 2MC's as one link-up player (I have Xavi/Iniesta/Toure to use in that role) and one supporting midfielder that arrives late in the box (using Iniesta/Deco like that). My wide attackers (Ronni, Messi) have NO CROSS instructions and RWB on often. So when either one of them dribbles around the fullback they just lay the ball off to either MC. So far i've see this in almost every game and i've scored many goals. In fact, Ronni, Messi, Iniesta, Deco and Xavi have simmilar goals scored.

Yonko

I guess we're playing it pretty much the same way. My wingers haven't got crossing on either, trying to replicate til IRL Barca. As for the midfielders, thats pretty much what I'm doing. One link-up, one supporting. Works a treat! Without FWR for either of the mid-three... Plus my sole-striker is on pretty low mentality to come deep every once... Almost swaps position with the 'looney' midfielder...

Archived