AI Experiment - what would happen if?

kipfizh.

If you get a chance, would you mind looking and seeing what sort of formation does Gary Perry play at home and away? Is either of them the same as whatever is listed as his favouriter formation?

What about Edinburgh and Brackstone. What tactics did they use when with the Bandits, and are they still using them now?

I have noticed that the AI appears to like a 33211 formation, sort of a wing-back/diamond tactic. Do you think that formations/tactics had much effect on the change in fortunes of the Bandits, rather than player ability?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the Squad as a whole there are a fair number of players who are at their peak age for their relevant position. This is also reflected by their CA and PAs being equal or as near as to make no difference.

This could well be why the team have performed so well. It could also potentially be a deciding factor in the team staying in their new division in the coming season.

Providing they don't sell anyone decent, which is their want usually, then they may well achieve that, with a few astute signings. icon_eek.gif

We'll see. Kipfizh - truly admirable work and thanks for putting me out of my misery finally!

To my eternal embarassment, and the complete befuddlement of MrsVB, I let out a cry of joy at the news the Bandits will be only two leagues from the top flight.

An amazing turnaround from a very lackluster season last year.

Striker2 is still sticking them in, but Striker4 is probably the greatest player to lace up a pair of boots. (since Danny "1000 goal man" anyway).

At least the idiots are proving that being an idiot doesn't help your career length. Although it does seem an exaggerated effect, maybe something for SI to look into once they've finished coding online games no-one cares about.

This truly is the best thread on here, ever. And I will be deeply sad when all the ex-Bandits retire and you no longer have the desire to see if they make it to Premiership and European glory.

VB

Originally posted by VonBlade:

maybe something for SI to look into once they've finished coding online games no-one cares about.

icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif

More good work kipfizh. I have been reading this thread since the first day you posted it and it has kept rising in popularity.

Your questions answered

Is Mike Newell the Liverpool manager? It would never happen. Where did Rafa go?

He was, but Mark Hughes replaced him this summer, and it isn’t as unlikely as Dennis Wise becoming Real Madrid manager, and a successful one at that! Can’t give you Benitez’s details I’m afraid, as he’s long retired.

Have any teams bid for him Striker 3?

No. Although he isn’t playing much he is extremely loyal and as has been in these parts before – AI seems to know whether a transfer is feasible before they make a bid. Since the club and player wouldn’t accept a move, the bid doesn’t come in (I suspect).

What's their media prediction in the league 1 this coming year?

23rd.

Any chance you could give us an update during the window to let us know if they bought anyone?

Unfortunately, they’ve only brought in two players (it is now September). Could be a long season.

If you get a chance, would you mind looking and seeing what sort of formation does Gary Perry play at home and away? Is either of them the same as whatever is listed as his favourite formation? What about Edinburgh and Brackstone?

Edinburgh and Brackstone almost exclusively played a basic 4-4-2 formation, favouring a strike partnership and a set of midfielders who don’t contribute much to goalscoring, which puts a lot of pressure on the front two (who thankfully delivered).

Gary Perry doesn’t change much, although he does instruct the wingers to attack considerably more, perhaps surprisingly as his mentality is very cautious (which it wasn’t before, I’m sure). His preferred formation is 4-4-2.

So I don’t think this was simply a formation change, it may have just been a lack of injuries (they had few this season) and a bunch of players peaking together.

Did you change the Chairman's attributes and whether you did or not what are they?

I left them as default, except for making him a sugar daddy, which looking at his stats makes him a very good chairman (I doubt he was this good before):

Robbie Rooney, Age 56

CA 154, PA 158

Business 17

Interference 19 (!)

Patience 10

Resources 13

Mental traits all 8-11 except:

Temperament 19

And I will be deeply sad when all the ex-Bandits retire and you no longer have the desire to see if they make it to Premiership and European glory.

Not a question, but this experiment will go on long after the Bandits players retire – they will all likely go into coaching anyway.

Meanwhile, England go out on penalties to Portugal in the quarter finals of the World Cup. Where have we heard that before? The Portuguese luck didn’t hold in the final though, where Mexico defeated them in the same way to retain the World Cup. The Mexicans have a very strong team right now.

Left Mid 1 won the World Cup best player award, and in a slightly odd move, Holland sacked Ronald Koeman and replaced him with….Erwin Koeman. His brother.

Originally posted by kipfizh:

Left Mid 1 won the World Cup best player award, and in a slightly odd move, Holland sacked Ronald Koeman and replaced him with….Erwin Koeman. His brother.

In my game, Holland won the 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014 cups. After the latest cup win Ronald Koeman resigned and his brother Erwin Koeman replaced him. Coincidence? icon_smile.gif

I was thinking what would happen with a club that had so much money in real life and it seems unescapable to me, that if they had little football know-how, they'd spend large sums on former top players or any other player which had a good buzz going on and was willing to join.

I am still unhappy with how finances and reputation interact and with the manner in which The Bandits have behaved like a poor team all the time. Not to mention the shocking promotion after no transfers what so ever. All rather unlikely things...

Originally posted by FcPoliFan:

I was thinking what would happen with a club that had so much money in real life and it seems unescapable to me, that if they had little football know-how, they'd spend large sums on former top players or any other player which had a good buzz going on and was willing to join.

I am still unhappy with how finances and reputation interact and with the manner in which The Bandits have behaved like a poor team all the time. Not to mention the shocking promotion after no transfers what so ever. All rather unlikely things...

I'm loving this thread but I have to agree that the AI doesn't make a lot of sense. While I don't think they should spend every last penny they have it's just too hard to accept this kind of progress. It really seems like the AI doesn't realize this team has money and is therefore treating it like any other. (We'll see if they go down this year or next year or start progressing upwards.) Especially at these lower league levels -- the amount of money required to sign good to great players (good to great for this level I mean) would be covered by the interest they'd make from the money they already have in the bank. We're not talking about millions here -- it's thousands to secure some good players at this level. I also find it hard to imagine this many people paying for season tickets year after year and never seeing any of their money reinvested in the team.

That said ... best. thread. ever.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig Williams:

Amazing thread.

Just one thing that is bugging me is that what if save game got corrupt?!?!

Im sure he has multiple backups.

Please God let him have multiple backups. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kipfizh please please please tell us you have backups. I can't concentrate on anything else at the moment. It's this or methadone.

Been reading this thread since the first post and have to agree, best thread ever.

Would it possible to also have a screen shot of one of the idiots to see how bad their stats have decreased in releation to their CA? It sounded like someone had taken a cricket bat to their legs the way you described it before.

Could you tell us the Value of each player? who is the most expensive player in the world?

what about this: add yourself as manager of Real Madrid, and try to make offers for some of the best bandits. see if the offers are accepted, and if the players are willing to go (to test loyalty)

I am still unhappy with how finances and reputation interact and with the manner in which The Bandits have behaved like a poor team all the time....

I do like this.

It is nice to see that in the FM world it is NOT only money that matters.

The Bandits go for and buy those players who realistically would join such a low league club.

It is mainly about reputation that a club has to earn over the years.

I expect them to have a large boost regarding success when they have build up a reputation that puts them in competition with the better known clubs in the land because then money will make the difference.

In whole it tells us that the AI doesn't cheat icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by FcPoliFan:

I am still unhappy with how finances and reputation interact and with the manner in which The Bandits have behaved like a poor team all the time.

This may depend heavily on the chairman. I will be running a future experiment with different chairman stats to see if this is the case. If the chairman is completely unambitious, this is probably realistic. We'll see.

Not to mention the shocking promotion after no transfers what so ever. All rather unlikely things...

Arsenal went unbeaten the season after only signing Lehmann, when everyone said they'd fail. Man Utd are flying this season with a squad that on paper lookos worse than this season.

Stability can be good.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig Williams:

Amazing thread.

Just one thing that is bugging me is that what if save game got corrupt?!?!

Im sure he has multiple backups.

Please God let him have multiple backups. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*thinks*

*makes backup*

Originally posted by leomen:

Could you tell us the Value of each player? who is the most expensive player in the world?

The value of each player is shown in the shortlist, and as for the world view, I will be introducing a new feature of analysing something in the world each season once the players start to fade away and I've got less to write about. Most valuables is one option...

Originally posted by ScottM:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheoWalcott89:

is it possible for you to see where southampton are?

In Div 2 with the Bandits, hopefully....

Scott M </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no that would stop me from reading this thread. it would be too unrealistic icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Mierow:

It is nice to see that in the FM world it is NOT only money that matters.

... unlike the real world. icon_wink.gif

The Bandits go for and buy those players who realistically would join such a low league club.

There are almost 6000 interested players. There are players already playing in D2 (or now D1) who are better than the current squad and would improve the team. Granted, in some cases there is a case for stability, however I have to think they'd have earned promotion a lot quicker if they just got, say, the 5 best players in D2 from other teams (which they could easily afford).

It is mainly about reputation that a club has to earn over the years.

We're not talking about them being able to sign Ronaldo -- we're talking about players already in the same division (so rep isn't really an issue) who would be great additions. It's a hell of a suspension of disbelief to ask me to think a player already in D2 wouldn't move to the 6th richest club in the world, who play in front of 60,000-odd fans, and offer them more money. Many players in that division would move to the Bandits if they offered them a decent contract.

I expect them to have a large boost regarding success when they have build up a reputation that puts them in competition with the better known clubs in the land because then money will make the difference.

I think quite the opposite. NOW money is the difference; when (if) they get to the Prem the money advantage is less overwhelming. When they were in D2 what D2 player wouldn't want to move to such a rich club which such a huge fanbase? When (if) they get to the Prem there are a couple of other teams who play in front of other huge crowds and have hundreds of millions.

In whole it tells us that the AI doesn't cheat icon_wink.gif

Wha? They have the money. Spending it to improve the team and make more money by moving up divisions isn't cheating -- it's the entire point of the game! Let me put it this way, when we all get the file to play this ourselves, hands up who won't spend any money for seventeen years?

KIP: What is their net transfer spending now? Not sure if there is an easy way to find that out as they've changed managers. Is it even a negative? They may well have made a profit buying and selling.

it doesnt always work that way though. im not saying that there arent hundreds of good players begging to be snatched up by the bandits, but in some games rep and money dont always work. i was the 4 times consecutive champion in a country but i couldnt even sign a player that was 2 divs below me. i couldnt sign anyone! people retired rather than join me. at an early age i might add.

Season 2022-23

Club report

2006-07

English Conference South: (Pos 1), P 42, W 30, D 6, L 6, F 82, A 29, GD +53, Pts 96

(Media Prediction: 22nd)

FA Cup: 2nd Round

FA Trophy: Winners

2007-08

English National Conference: (Pos 7), P 46, W 22, D 8, L 16, F 68, A 55, GD +13, Pts 74

FA Cup: 1st Round

FA Trophy: Finalist

2008-09

English National Conference: (Pos 7), P 46, W 19, D 12, L 15, F 73, A 65, GD +8, Pts 69

(Media Prediction: 17th)

FA Cup: 4th Qualifying Round

FA Trophy: 1st Round

2009-10

English National Conference: (Pos 9), P 46, W 19, D 12, L 15, F 58, A 57, GD +1, Pts 69

(Media Prediction: 10th)

FA Cup: 4th Qualifying Round

FA Trophy: 3rd Round

2010-11

English National Conference: (Pos 6), P 46, W 21, D 10, L 15, F 75, A 55, GD +20, Pts 73

(Media Prediction: 12th)

FA Trophy: 4th Round

2011-12

English National Conference: (Pos 18), P 46, W 16, D 9, L 21, F 59, A 66, GD -7, Pts 57

(Media Prediction: 8th)

FA Trophy: 3rd Round

2012-13

English National Conference: (Pos 5), P 46, W 21, D 11, L 14, F 67, A 52, GD +15, Pts 74

(Media Prediction: 16th)

2013-14

English National Conference: (Pos 1), P 46, W 20, D 18, L 8, F 68, A 46, GD +22, Pts 78

2014-15

English League Two: (Pos 21), P 46, W 12, D 15, L 19, F 60, A 69, GD -9, Pts 51

League Cup: 1st Round

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy: South Quarter Final

2015-16

English League Two: (Pos 21), P 46, W 14, D 10, L 22, F 56, A 73, GD -17, Pts 52

(Media Prediction: 23rd)

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy: South 2nd Round

2016-17

English League Two: (Pos 6), P 46, W 17, D 16, L 13, F 64, A 51, GD 13, Pts 67

(Media Prediction: 24th)

FA Cup: 3rd Round

2017-18

English League Two: (Pos 15), P 46, W 16, D 14, L 16, F 63, A 65, GD -2, Pts 62

League Cup: 3rd Round

2018-19

English League Two: (Pos 7), P 46, W 19, D 12, L 15, F 64, A 62, GD 2, Pts 69

(Media Prediction: 16th)

FA Cup: 3rd Round

2019-20

English League Two: (Pos 6), P 46, W 18, D 13, L 15, F 69, A 66, GD 3, Pts 67

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy: South Semi Final

2020-21

English League Two: (Pos 10), P 46, W 17, D 15, L 14, F 67, A 61, GD 6, Pts 66

2021-22

English League Two: (Pos 1), P 46, W 25, D 9, L 12, F 74, A 54, GD 20, Pts 84

FA Cup: 5th Round

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy: Finalist

2022-23

English League One: (Pos 1), P 46, W 25, D 9, L 12, F 74, A 54, GD 20, Pts 84

(Media Prediction: 23rd)

League

FA Cup: 4th Round

League Cup: 3rd Round

Johnstone’s Paint Trophy: South Semi-Final

After last season’s promotion, the media was extremely pessimistic about the Bandits’ chances, predicting an immediate return, but the board and the fans were more demanding, expecting mid table security. In the end, that was exactly what they got.

For a while, they were challenging for a playoff spot, even poking their heads into the playoffs in mid-season, but eventually they fell away and secured a central position. Their success was based upon an attacking flair – although again they didn’t hammer anyone, they were the top scorers outside the top five, with their traditional front line showing they can still score goals a league up.

The cups were again a welcome distraction, and for the first time since they entered the league nine years ago they progressed past the first round in the both the FA Cup and the League Cup. In the former the highlight was victory over Championship Yeovil, before another side from that division, Crewe, ended the run, and in the League Cup, they knocked out Championship Portsmouth and Premier League Scunthorpe before Newcastle ended their dreams. So after last season’s six higher division scalps, they claimed another three this season even after rising a league. Impressive stuff.

However, as always, there is a down side. They were again reliant on the aging front players - although the younger Bryant has now taken over as the top striker – because they again refused to spend much in the way of transfers, a big surprise after promotion. In the summer, they only bought two players. More on that later.

Overall though, it was a very successful season for the team, and proved that they can belong in League One.

Good player reports

Goalkeeper 1

2006-07, Bandits, CA 151: Apps 47, Conc 29, Cln 15, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.66

2007-08, Bandits, CA 166: Apps 49, Conc 56, Cln 12, MoM 6, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.51

2008-09, Bandits, CA 178: Apps 32, Conc 38, Cln 6, MoM 5, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.28

Transfers to Blackburn for 650k

2008-09, Blackburn, CA 178: Apps 14, Conc 16, Cln 4, MoM 2, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.21

2009-10, Blackburn, CA 184: Apps 41 (1), Conc 45, Cln 13, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.38

2010-11, Blackburn, CA 189: Apps 32, Conc 48, Cln 5, MoM 2, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.38

2011-12, Blackburn, CA 192: Apps 43, Conc 62, Cln 7, MoM 3, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.53

2012-13, Blackburn, CA 194: Apps 45, Conc 65, Cln 9, MoM 4, YC 9, RC 0, Avg 7.58

Transfers to Arsenal for 27m

2013-14, Arsenal, CA 196: Apps 56, Conc 70, Cln 18, MoM 7, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.46

2014-15, Arsenal, CA 197: Apps 43, Conc 34, Cln 19, MoM 5, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.74

2015-16, Arsenal, CA 198: Apps 33, Conc 30, Cln 13, MoM 4, YC 0, RC 1, Avg 7.61

2016-17, Arsenal, CA 199: Apps 40, Conc 49, Cln 10, MoM 0, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.38

2017-18, Arsenal, CA 200: Apps 51, Conc 57, Cln 16, MoM 3, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.49

2018-19, Arsenal, CA 200: Apps 56 (1), Conc 67, Cln 14, MoM 4, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 7.49

2019-20, Arsenal, CA 200: Apps 38 (2), Conc 39, Cln 13, MoM 3, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.55

2020-21, Arsenal, CA 200: Apps 51, Conc 67, Cln 13, MoM 6, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.53

2021-22, Arsenal, CA 191: Apps 41, Conc 41, Cln 14, MoM 4, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.54

2022-23, Arsenal, CA 191: Apps 49, Conc 52, Cln 11, MoM 3, YC 3, RC 2, Avg 7.55

Notes: Plays superbly again and is now a cornerstone of a very tight Arsenal defence. Wins the League Cup but the team slip to sixth in the league. Reaches 65 caps, and is still considering his options at Arsenal. Comes second in European Goalkeeper of the Year.

Goalkeeper 2

2006-07, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 10 (4), Conc 6, Cln 8, MoM 1, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.93

Transfers to Leeds for 675k

2007-08, Leeds, CA 167: Apps 43, Conc 45, Cln 12, MoM 7, YC 2, RC 1, Avg 7.51

2008-09, Leeds, CA 181: Apps 35, Conc 45, Cln 4, MoM 3, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.26

2009-10, Leeds, CA 189: Apps 42, Conc 51, Cln 8, MoM 6, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.50

2010-11, Leeds, CA 191: Apps 37, Conc 41, Cln 8, MoM 4, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.46

2011-12, Leeds, CA 195: Apps 57, Conc 68, Cln 17, MoM 10, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.58

2012-13, Leeds, CA 196: Apps 51, Conc 77, Cln 4, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 1, Avg 7.27

2013-14, Leeds, CA 200: Apps 39, Conc 52, Cln 7, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.21

2014-15, Leeds, CA 200: Apps 59, Conc 72, Cln 14, MoM 8, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.46

2015-16, Leeds, CA 200: Apps 40, Conc 45, Cln 10, MoM 8, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.53

2016-17, Leeds, CA 200: Apps 56 (2), Conc 64, Cln 17, MoM 10, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.60

2017-18, Leeds, CA 200: Apps 41 (1), Conc 46, Cln 12, MoM 7, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.60

2018-19, Leeds, CA 200: Apps 56, Conc 62, Cln 12, MoM 6, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.45

2019-20, Leeds, CA 200: Apps 57, Conc 69, Cln 15, MoM 7, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.37

2020-21, Leeds, CA 192: Apps 43, Conc 54, Cln 10, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.30

2021-22, Leeds, CA 189: Apps 34 (2), Conc 37, Cln 12, MoM 5, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.64

2022-23, Leeds, CA 188: Apps 47, Conc 53, Cln 15, MoM 9, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.53

Notes: Continues to play superbly for Leeds, who again qualify for the Champions League from fourth. Reaches the century of caps, with 106 to his name.

Left Back 1

2006-07, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 9 (5), Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.14

Transfers to Tottenham on a free

2007-08, Tottenham, CA 165: Apps 42, Gls 1, Asts 4, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.21

2008-09, Tottenham, CA 175: Apps 40, Gls 0, Asts 1, MoM 3, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.30

2009-10, Tottenham, CA 187: Apps 45, Gls 0, Asts 4, MoM 2, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.11

2010-11, Tottenham, CA 194: Apps 40, Gls 1, Asts 2, MoM 3, YC 6, RC 1, Avg 7.35

2011-12, Tottenham, CA 197: Apps 39, Gls 1, Asts 2, MoM 2, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.31

2012-13, Tottenham, CA 200: Apps 42, Gls 2, Asts 2, MoM 2, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.36

2013-14, Tottenham, CA 200: Apps 35, Gls 0, Asts 1, MoM 2, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.31

2014-15, Tottenham, CA 200: Apps 51, Gls 1, Asts 3, MoM 3, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.31

2015-16, Tottenham, CA 200: Apps 43, Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.19

2016-17, Tottenham, CA 200: Apps 43, Gls 1, Asts 1, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.28

2017-18, Tottenham, CA 200: Apps 45, Gls 0, Asts 4, MoM 2, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 7.36

2018-19, Tottenham, CA 193: Apps 39, Gls 3, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 1, Avg 7.36

2019-20, Tottenham, CA 191: Apps 46, Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 7, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.24

2020-21, Tottenham, CA 190: Apps 39, Gls 3, Asts 3, MoM 4, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.38

2021-22, Tottenham, CA 186: Apps 19, Gls 1, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.21

2022-23, Tottenham, CA 182: Apps 46, Gls 0, Asts 5, MoM 2, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 7.43

Notes: Well into his 30s he suddenly has the best season of his career, although with Tottenham he only manages eighth. Continues to play the odd game for England, reaching 70 caps with two goals.

Left Back 2

2006-07, Bandits, CA 153: Apps 51 (1), Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.46

Transfers to Liverpool for 40k

2007-08, Liverpool, CA 165: Apps 40 (1), Gls 1, Asts 4, MoM 0, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 6.73

2008-09, Liverpool, CA 179: Apps 50, Gls 0, Asts 6, MoM 3, YC 6, RC 1, Avg 7.30

2009-10, Liverpool, CA 183: Apps 47, Gls 3, Asts 7, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.38

2010-11, Liverpool, CA 192: Apps 53, Gls 3, Asts 4, MoM 7, YC 2, RC 1, Avg 7.47

2011-12, Liverpool, CA 198: Apps 53, Gls 0, Asts 7, MoM 1, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 7.23

2012-13, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 55, Gls 3, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 8, RC 2, Avg 7.29

2013-14, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 49, Gls 3, Asts 4, MoM 8, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.84

2014-15, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 54, Gls 2, Asts 5, MoM 3, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.46

2015-16, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 56, Gls 2, Asts 5, MoM 4, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.41

2016-17, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 45, Gls 1, Asts 1, MoM 1, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.29

2017-18, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 39, Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.26

2018-19, Liverpool, CA 195: Apps 39, Gls 1, Asts 3, MoM 2, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.31

2019-20, Liverpool, CA 192: Apps 36, Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 2, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.25

2020-21, Liverpool, CA 191: Apps 54, Gls 0, Asts 6, MoM 6, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 7.54

2021-22, Liverpool, CA 190: Apps 45 (1), Gls 1, Asts 5, MoM 4, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.50

2022-23, Liverpool, CA 186: Apps 38, Gls 0, Asts 5, MoM 3, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.50

Notes: Continues his high level of performance for a club no longer challenging for the league, this year finishing ninth. Is still a regular for England, reaching 80 caps with one goal. Yes, that’s one goal – having been the last outfield player not to score for England, he finally chalks up his first.

Right Back 1

2006-07, Bandits, CA 154: Apps 4, Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 2, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 8.00

Transfers to Newcastle for 400k

2007-08, Newcastle, CA 165: Apps 39, Gls 1, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 4, RC 1, Avg 7.18

2008-09, Newcastle, CA 181: Apps 46, Gls 1, Asts 5, MoM 2, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.28

2009-10, Newcastle, CA 187: Apps 3, Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.00

Transfers to Chelsea for 27.5m

2009-10, Chelsea, CA 187: Apps 48, Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.27

2010-11, Chelsea, CA 190: Apps 53, Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 2, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.39

2011-12, Chelsea, CA 197: Apps 60, Gls 1, Asts 9, MoM 2, YC 8, RC 1, Avg 7.55

2012-13, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 54, Gls 0, Asts 4, MoM 1, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.20

2013-14, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 51, Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.12

2014-15, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 53, Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 3, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.58

2015-16, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 54, Gls 0, Asts 5, MoM 3, YC 8, RC 2, Avg 7.26

2016-17, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 54, Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 6, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.56

2017-18, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 51, Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 7, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.51

2018-19, Chelsea, CA 191: Apps 56, Gls 1, Asts 1, MoM 1, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.25

2019-20, Chelsea, CA 189: Apps 48 (1), Gls 0, Asts 8, MoM 3, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.27

2020-21, Chelsea, CA 190: Apps 54, Gls 0, Asts 5, MoM 3, YC 8, RC 0, Avg 7.43

2021-22, Chelsea, CA 194: Apps 56, Gls 1, Asts 5, MoM 3, YC 6, RC 2, Avg 7.34

2022-23, Chelsea, CA 183: Apps 50, Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 1, YC 8, RC 2, Avg 7.06

Notes: Chelsea recover from a very poor start to win the league for the third consecutive year, so he picks up a Premiership medal, but he can’t be said to have contributed all that much, with a decidedly average season. Still racks up the international caps, reaching 91 with two goals. CA takes quite a large hit. Comes second in European Defender of the Year.

Right Back 2

2006-07, Bandits, CA 155: Apps 50, Gls 1, Asts 7, MoM 5, YC 6, RC 1, Avg 7.70

Transfers to Liverpool for 24k

2007-08, Liverpool, CA 166: Apps 29 (8), Gls 1, Asts 6, MoM 4, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.03

2008-09, Liverpool, CA 178: Apps 51 (1), Gls 2, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 4, RC 1, Avg 7.15

2009-10, Liverpool, CA 188: Apps 49 (1), Gls 4, Asts 2, MoM 3, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.34

2010-11, Liverpool, CA 195: Apps 54 (1), Gls 1, Asts 6, MoM 4, YC 4, RC 1, Avg 7.51

2011-12, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 52 (1), Gls 2, Asts 2, MoM 2, YC 3, RC 2, Avg 7.38

2012-13, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 54, Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 6, YC 7, RC 1, Avg 7.54

2013-14, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 49, Gls 1, Asts 1, MoM 2, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.47

2014-15, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 57, Gls 3, Asts 6, MoM 7, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.49

2015-16, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 51 (1), Gls 1, Asts 4, MoM 5, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.56

2016-17, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 42, Gls 0, Asts 6, MoM 4, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.33

2017-18, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 31, Gls 2, Asts 3, MoM 2, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.29

2018-19, Liverpool, CA 193: Apps 46, Gls 0, Asts 7, MoM 2, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.52

2019-20, Liverpool, CA 190: Apps 41, Gls 1, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 5, RC 2, Avg 7.20

2020-21, Liverpool, CA 189: Apps 50 (1), Gls 0, Asts 6, MoM 1, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.41

2021-22, Liverpool, CA 191: Apps 50 (2), Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 2, YC 6, RC 1, Avg 7.25

2022-23, Liverpool, CA 187: Apps 38, Gls 1, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.13

Notes: His level of performance continues to fall as he gets older, and with Liverpool he may no longer challenge for top honours, but he reaches 68 caps with one goal for his country.

Centre Back 1

2006-07, Bandits, CA 152: Apps 17 (6), Gls 1, Asts 7, MoM 3, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.57

Transfers to Tottenham on a free

2007-08, Tottenham, CA 166: Apps 40, Gls 1, Asts 1, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.00

2008-09, Tottenham, CA 181: Apps 41, Gls 1, Asts 1, MoM 3, YC 2, RC 1, Avg 7.22

Transfers to Milan on a free

2009-10, Milan, CA 187: Apps 31, Gls 4, Asts 5, MoM 6, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.32

2010-11, Milan, CA 192: Apps 52, Gls 3, Asts 1, MoM 1, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.25

2011-12, Milan, CA 196: Apps 46, Gls 2, Asts 1, MoM 6, YC 5, RC 4, Avg 7.48

2012-13, Milan, CA 200: Apps 35, Gls 10, Asts 5, MoM 2, YC 9, RC 2, Avg 7.46

2013-14, Milan, CA 200: Apps 41, Gls 2, Asts 3, MoM 5, YC 9, RC 0, Avg 7.44

2014-15, Milan, CA 200: Apps 38, Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 1, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.18

2015-16, Milan, CA 200: Apps 40, Gls 9, Asts 4, MoM 2, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.43

2016-17, Milan, CA 200: Apps 44, Gls 2, Asts 3, MoM 6, YC 12, RC 0, Avg 7.70

2017-18, Milan, CA 200: Apps 45, Gls 2, Asts 10, MoM 10, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.67

2018-19, Milan, CA 192: Apps 45, Gls 4, Asts 3, MoM 5, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.42

2019-20, Milan, CA 189: Apps 37, Gls 5, Asts 4, MoM 10, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.78

2020-21, Milan, CA 194: Apps 40, Gls 4, Asts 3, MoM 8, YC 4, RC 1, Avg 7.63

2021-22, Milan, CA 189: Apps 49, Gls 4, Asts 8, MoM 4, YC 10, RC 0, Avg 7.45

2022-23, Milan, CA 190: Apps 44, Gls 2, Asts 7, MoM 6, YC 9, RC 2, Avg 7.43

Notes: Once again is absolutely superb in Italy, although once again his discipline is somewhat suspect. The defensive legend has now reached a massive 132 caps with two goals, and his excellent performances are rewarded with a Champions League medal with Milan, who finally depose Real Madrid in the final. European Defender of the Year, comes third in World Player of the Year, and comes third in World Footballer of the Year.

Centre Back 2

2006-07, Bandits, CA 151: Apps 3 (5), Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.25

Transfers to Arsenal on a free

2007-08, Arsenal, CA 166: Apps 49, Gls 1, Asts 4, MoM 3, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.02

2008-09, Arsenal, CA 177: Apps 52, Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 3, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 7.19

2009-10, Arsenal, CA 184: Apps 51, Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 0, YC 2, RC 1, Avg 6.98

2010-11, Arsenal, CA 190: Apps 49, Gls 0, Asts 5, MoM 4, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.02

2011-12, Arsenal, CA 194: Apps 53, Gls 3, Asts 5, MoM 7, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.34

2012-13, Arsenal, CA 199: Apps 49, Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 2, Avg 7.33

2013-14, Arsenal, CA 200: Apps 47, Gls 3, Asts 1, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.36

2014-15, Arsenal, CA 200: Apps 48, Gls 0, Asts 4, MoM 11, YC 8, RC 0, Avg 7.71

2015-16, Arsenal, CA 200: Apps 48, Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 5, YC 8, RC 0, Avg 7.52

2016-17, Arsenal, CA 200: Apps 52, Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 8, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.46

2017-18, Arsenal, CA 200: Apps 53, Gls 2, Asts 3, MoM 7, YC 5, RC 2, Avg 7.47

2018-19, Arsenal, CA 191: Apps 55, Gls 2, Asts 5, MoM 2, YC 8, RC 1, Avg 7.40

2019-20, Arsenal, CA 188: Apps 43, Gls 1, Asts 3, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.38

2020-21, Arsenal, CA 191: Apps 44, Gls 0, Asts 1, MoM 2, YC 2, RC 2, Avg 7.36

2021-22, Arsenal, CA 191: Apps 44, Gls 1, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.39

2022-23, Arsenal, CA 182: Apps 54, Gls 2, Asts 3, MoM 7, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.46

Notes: Continues his extremely consistent levels of performance, winning the League Cup in the process with Arsenal. Reaches 64 caps with two goals.

Centre Back 3

2006-07, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 49 (3), Gls 0, Asts 5, MoM 5, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.77

Transfers to Chelsea for 55k

2007-08, Chelsea, CA 166: Apps 23 (12), Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 6.89

2008-09, Chelsea, CA 180: Apps 20 (6), Gls 0, Asts 4, MoM 3, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 6.96

2009-10, Chelsea, CA 189: Apps 22 (9), Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 2, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.19

2010-11, Chelsea, CA 191: Apps 39 (3), Gls 0, Asts 4, MoM 5, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 7.40

2011-12, Chelsea, CA 197: Apps 41 (3), Gls 2, Asts 4, MoM 4, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.61

2012-13, Chelsea, CA 199: Apps 51 (2), Gls 1, Asts 2, MoM 2, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 7.47

2013-14, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 42 (6), Gls 1, Asts 1, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.17

2014-15, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 47 (3), Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 2, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.54

2015-16, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 36 (2), Gls 0, Asts 1, MoM 2, YC 4, RC 1, Avg 7.16

2016-17, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 48, Gls 0, Asts 4, MoM 3, YC 6, RC 1, Avg 7.44

2017-18, Chelsea, CA 196: Apps 43 (2), Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 1, Avg 7.40

2018-19, Chelsea, CA 190: Apps 51 (1), Gls 1, Asts 2, MoM 6, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.37

2019-20, Chelsea, CA 190: Apps 46, Gls 0, Asts 1, MoM 2, YC 4, RC 1, Avg 7.35

2020-21, Chelsea, CA 188: Apps 30 (1), Gls 0, Asts 3, MoM 0, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.42

2021-22, Chelsea, CA 190: Apps 47 (2), Gls 0, Asts 6, MoM 3, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.29

2022-23, Chelsea, CA 185: Apps 35 (7), Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 6.76

Notes: Wins his third consecutive Premiership medal with Chelsea, but plays very poorly for it, with the lowest average rating of his career. Could this spell a decline in his career? Adds one more cap to reach 58 with four goals.

Centre Back 4

2006-07, Bandits, CA 152: Apps 45 (1), Gls 0, Asts 4, MoM 5, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.80

Transfers to Chelsea for 28k

2007-08, Chelsea, CA 165: Apps 32 (4), Gls 2, Asts 2, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.14

2008-09, Chelsea, CA 179: Apps 28 (4), Gls 1, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 6.84

2009-10, Chelsea, CA 189: Apps 32 (4), Gls 2, Asts 3, MoM 1, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.50

2010-11, Chelsea, CA 199: Apps 23 (11), Gls 1, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.29

2011-12, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 53 (1), Gls 2, Asts 4, MoM 4, YC 10, RC 0, Avg 7.67

2012-13, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 55, Gls 2, Asts 7, MoM 8, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.62

2013-14, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 46 (1), Gls 0, Asts 1, MoM 1, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.36

2014-15, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 46 (2), Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 6, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.67

2015-16, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 50 (2), Gls 0, Asts 1, MoM 4, YC 8, RC 0, Avg 7.46

2016-17, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 52, Gls 0, Asts 4, MoM 6, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.50

2017-18, Chelsea, CA 195: Apps 42 (2), Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 4, YC 4, RC 1, Avg 7.50

2018-19, Chelsea, CA 189: Apps 54 (2), Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 2, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.30

2019-20, Chelsea, CA 191: Apps 42, Gls 3, Asts 4, MoM 5, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.50

2020-21, Chelsea, CA 194: Apps 53, Gls 1, Asts 2, MoM 2, YC 7, RC 1, Avg 7.21

2021-22, Chelsea, CA 190: Apps 50, Gls 0, Asts 4, MoM 2, YC 8, RC 0, Avg 7.36

2022-23, Chelsea, CA 187: Apps 49, Gls 1, Asts 4, MoM 4, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.29

Notes: With his defensive partner Centre Back 3 struggling, he puts in the performances to help Chelsea recover from an awful start to retain the Premiership, with him picking up another medal. Reaches 67 caps with two goals as his career shows no signs of slowing down.

Left Mid 1

2006-07, Bandits, CA 151: Apps 13, Gls 3, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.15

Transfers to Man Utd for 170k

2007-08, Man Utd, CA 165: Apps 39 (3), Gls 9, Asts 9, MoM 4, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.19

Transfers to Chelsea for 10.5m

2008-09, Chelsea, CA 180: Apps 48, Gls 7, Asts 1, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 2, Avg 6.73

2009-10, Chelsea, CA 188: Apps 48, Gls 4, Asts 6, MoM 3, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.08

2010-11, Chelsea, CA 192: Apps 45, Gls 4, Asts 3, MoM 1, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.16

2011-12, Chelsea, CA 198: Apps 53 (2), Gls 9, Asts 2, MoM 3, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.45

2012-13, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 56, Gls 8, Asts 4, MoM 4, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.48

2013-14, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 53 (1), Gls 12, Asts 3, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.57

2014-15, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 46 (3), Gls 9, Asts 5, MoM 6, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.49

2015-16, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 54, Gls 8, Asts 8, MoM 8, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.74

2016-17, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 57, Gls 5, Asts 5, MoM 5, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.46

2017-18, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 51, Gls 10, Asts 8, MoM 6, YC 2, RC 3, Avg 7.71

2018-19, Chelsea, CA 190: Apps 53, Gls 14, Asts 5, MoM 8, YC 8, RC 0, Avg 7.57

2019-20, Chelsea, CA 191: Apps 50, Gls 11, Asts 6, MoM 5, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.52

2020-21, Chelsea, CA 188: Apps 57, Gls 9, Asts 3, MoM 5, YC 3, RC 2, Avg 7.42

2021-22, Chelsea, CA 188: Apps 55, Gls 8, Asts 7, MoM 4, YC 2, RC 1, Avg 7.51

2022-23, Chelsea, CA 180: Apps 52, Gls 13, Asts 6, MoM 2, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.08

Notes: After years of extremely high levels of performance, he has a much poorer year, albeit topped off with his third consecutive Premiership medal. Reaches an enormous 132 caps with 23 goals as his international career continues to fly, but Chelsea will expect more from him next season if he isn’t to be phased out. CA is dropping now.

Left Mid 2

2006-07, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 44, Gls 11, Asts 9, MoM 3, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.61

Transfers to Portsmouth for 300k

2007-08, Portsmouth, CA 165: Apps 40, Gls 7, Asts 3, MoM 0, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.28

2008-09, Portsmouth, CA 180: Apps 48, Gls 6, Asts 9, MoM 8, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.52

Transfers to Man Utd for 11.5m

2009-10, Man Utd, CA 185: Apps 57, Gls 15, Asts 4, MoM 7, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.42

2010-11, Man Utd, CA 190: Apps 51, Gls 10, Asts 7, MoM 6, YC 1, RC 1, Avg 7.51

2011-12, Man Utd, CA 196: Apps 50, Gls 7, Asts 7, MoM 5, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.50

2012-13, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 50, Gls 8, Asts 12, MoM 6, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.72

2013-14, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 37, Gls 11, Asts 3, MoM 2, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.68

2014-15, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 48, Gls 8, Asts 7, MoM 5, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.58

2015-16, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 43, Gls 10, Asts 6, MoM 5, YC 8, RC 0, Avg 7.60

2016-17, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 40, Gls 5, Asts 8, MoM 6, YC 1, RC 1, Avg 7.88

2017-18, Man Utd, CA 194: Apps 40, Gls 1, Asts 7, MoM 2, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.25

2018-19, Man Utd, CA 189: Apps 39, Gls 5, Asts 3, MoM 3, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.54

2019-20, Man Utd, CA 189: Apps 36, Gls 8, Asts 3, MoM 0, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 7.25

2020-21, Man Utd, CA 194: Apps 39, Gls 5, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.36

2021-22, Man Utd, CA 190: Apps 37, Gls 10, Asts 5, MoM 5, YC 8, RC 0, Avg 7.41

2022-23, Man Utd, CA 187: Apps 45, Gls 8, Asts 5, MoM 2, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.33

Notes: Almost matches last season’s level of performance despite being a division higher – Man Utd are never in danger of relegation this time around, finishing 11th, and he does play another game for England, reaching 58 caps and 13 goals.

Right Mid 1

2006-07, Bandits, CA 152: Apps 17 (19), Gls 6, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.00

Transfers to Chelsea on a free

2007-08, Chelsea, CA 165: Apps 12 (17), Gls 4, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 6.66

2008-09, Chelsea, CA 178: Apps 11 (11), Gls 2, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 6.45

2009-10, Chelsea, CA 190: Apps 15 (18), Gls 5, Asts 1, MoM 1, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.18

2010-11, Chelsea, CA 194: Apps 21 (19), Gls 5, Asts 1, MoM 1, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.18

2011-12, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 43 (8), Gls 12, Asts 5, MoM 5, YC 2, RC 2, Avg 7.47

2012-13, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 54 (1), Gls 8, Asts 7, MoM 7, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.58

2013-14, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 60 (1), Gls 8, Asts 12, MoM 6, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.75

2014-15, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 51, Gls 11, Asts 11, MoM 3, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.67

2015-16, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 49, Gls 9, Asts 4, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.53

2016-17, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 56, Gls 11, Asts 8, MoM 2, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.57

2017-18, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 48, Gls 0, Asts 10, MoM 6, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.94

2018-19, Chelsea, CA 196: Apps 53 (1), Gls 9, Asts 5, MoM 6, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.54

2019-20, Chelsea, CA 189: Apps 48 (1), Gls 13, Asts 4, MoM 7, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.67

2020-21, Chelsea, CA 190: Apps 51 (2), Gls 14, Asts 6, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.62

2021-22, Chelsea, CA 191: Apps 55, Gls 14, Asts 5, MoM 4, YC 10, RC 0, Avg 7.65

2022-23, Chelsea, CA 180: Apps 47 (1), Gls 9, Asts 8, MoM 3, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.17

Notes: After ten seasons over 7.50, his performance level drops considerably as he approaches his 34th birthday. Still does well enough to help secure a third consecutive Premiership medal, and reaches 112 caps with 24 goals. CA is dropping fast.

Right Mid 2

2006-07, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 40 (1), Gls 9, Asts 8, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.49

Transfers to Chelsea for 20k

Loaned to Rangers

2007-08, Rangers, CA 166: Apps 49 (1), Gls 17, Asts 12, MoM 11, YC 16, RC 0, Avg 7.72

2008-09, Chelsea, CA 179: Apps 8 (13), Gls 4, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 6.67

2009-10, Chelsea, CA 182: Apps 12 (4), Gls 2, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 6.75

2010-11, Chelsea, CA 188: Apps 12 (5), Gls 5, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.18

2011-12, Chelsea, CA 196: Apps 20 (16), Gls 7, Asts 0, MoM 2, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.19

2012-13, Chelsea, CA 198: Apps 0 (1), Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.00

Transfers to Arsenal in a part-exchange, him and 29m for Fabregas

2012-13, Arsenal, CA 198: Apps 49, Gls 14, Asts 10, MoM 10, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.76

2013-14, Arsenal, CA 200: Apps 55, Gls 9, Asts 9, MoM 4, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.40

2014-15, Arsenal, CA 200: Apps 55, Gls 17, Asts 2, MoM 7, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.53

2015-16, Arsenal, CA 200: Apps 54, Gls 14, Asts 7, MoM 5, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.59

2016-17, Arsenal, CA 200: Apps 51, Gls 13, Asts 4, MoM 4, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.49

2017-18, Arsenal, CA 196: Apps 53, Gls 16, Asts 6, MoM 5, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.55

2018-19, Arsenal, CA 191: Apps 58, Gls 18, Asts 6, MoM 6, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.76

2019-20, Arsenal, CA 191: Apps 46, Gls 11, Asts 8, MoM 7, YC 8, RC 0, Avg 7.67

2020-21, Arsenal, CA 187: Apps 43, Gls 10, Asts 6, MoM 2, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.40

2021-22, Arsenal, CA 187: Apps 44, Gls 11, Asts 6, MoM 6, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.52

2022-23, Arsenal, CA 178: Apps 50 (1), Gls 10, Asts 3, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.41

Notes: Makes it nine seasons in a row as a double figures goalscorer, and continues to play superbly as Arsenal finish sixth. Picks up a League Cup medal, and reaches 51 caps with 13 goals, but his CA continues to drop quite sharply.

Centre Mid 1

2006-07, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 18, Gls 0, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.17

Transfers to Man Utd for 675k

2007-08, Man Utd, CA 159: Apps 33 (5), Gls 1, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 3, RC 2, Avg 6.55

2008-09, Man Utd, CA 173: Apps 10 (9), Gls 3, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 6.53

2009-10, Man Utd, CA 181: Apps 27 (13), Gls 6, Asts 4, MoM 5, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.18

2010-11, Man Utd, CA 191: Apps 18 (12), Gls 6, Asts 1, MoM 1, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.20

2011-12, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 8 (23), Gls 5, Asts 3, MoM 1, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.06

2012-13, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 20 (16), Gls 2, Asts 1, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 1, Avg 7.14

2013-14, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 9 (16), Gls 3, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 1, Avg 7.08

2014-15, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 7 (15), Gls 1, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.05

Transfers to Arsenal for 27m

2015-16, Arsenal, CA 200: Apps 51, Gls 3, Asts 10, MoM 5, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.43

2016-17, Arsenal, CA 196: Apps 49, Gls 7, Asts 6, MoM 5, YC 8, RC 0, Avg 7.69

2017-18, Arsenal, CA 197: Apps 55, Gls 10, Asts 10, MoM 3, YC 13, RC 0, Avg 7.58

2018-19, Arsenal, CA 190: Apps 48, Gls 3, Asts 5, MoM 4, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.56

2019-20, Arsenal, CA 189: Apps 42 (1), Gls 6, Asts 4, MoM 3, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.49

2020-21, Arsenal, CA 189: Apps 47, Gls 5, Asts 2, MoM 2, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.28

2021-22, Arsenal, CA 189: Apps 40, Gls 6, Asts 5, MoM 3, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.45

2022-23, Arsenal, CA 185: Apps 54, Gls 7, Asts 7, MoM 3, YC 4, RC 1, Avg 7.50

Notes: Continues his extremely impressive run of form, helping Arsenal to sixth and winning a League Cup medal. He also reaches 66 caps with seven goals and shows no sign of deterioration.

Centre Mid 2

2006-07, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 2, Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.00

Transfers to Portsmouth on a free

2007-08, Portsmouth, CA 165: Apps 47, Gls 3, Asts 1, MoM 5, YC 7, RC 1, Avg 7.21

Transfers to Man Utd for 11.25m[/b}

2008-09, Man Utd, CA 180: Apps 33 (5), Gls 5, Asts 5, MoM 2, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 6.82

2009-10, Man Utd, CA 184: Apps 50 (2), Gls 11, Asts 6, MoM 3, YC 8, RC 0, Avg 7.58

2010-11, Man Utd, CA 189: Apps 45 (5), Gls 12, Asts 7, MoM 4, YC 6, RC 1, Avg 7.52

2011-12, Man Utd, CA 193: Apps 47 (1), Gls 5, Asts 4, MoM 4, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.46

2012-13, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 43 (4), Gls 14, Asts 5, MoM 5, YC 1, RC 1, Avg 7.51

2013-14, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 46 (1), Gls 16, Asts 5, MoM 9, YC 6, RC 1, Avg 7.68

2014-15, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 46 (1), Gls 5, Asts 5, MoM 4, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.49

Transfers to Chelsea for 47.5m

2015-16, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 34 (16), Gls 4, Asts 6, MoM 0, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.26

2016-17, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 54, Gls 3, Asts 7, MoM 6, YC 6, RC 2, Avg 7.46

2017-18, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 48 (2), Gls 6, Asts 3, MoM 2, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.32

2018-19, Chelsea, CA 191: Apps 44 (2), Gls 5, Asts 5, MoM 0, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 7.24

2019-20, Chelsea, CA 190: Apps 39 (1), Gls 3, Asts 3, MoM 2, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.35

2020-21, Chelsea, CA 189: Apps 43 (5), Gls 5, Asts 4, MoM 2, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.15

2021-22, Chelsea, CA 189: Apps 35 (4), Gls 2, Asts 5, MoM 2, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.23

2022-23, Chelsea, CA 187: Apps 42 (4), Gls 3, Asts 3, MoM 3, YC 1, RC 1, Avg 7.22

Notes: Again, plays solidly but not outstandingly, and he claims his third consecutive Premiership medal, reaching 90 caps and five goals at international level.

Centre Mid 3

2006-07, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 40 (1), Gls 2, Asts 6, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.41

2007-08, Bandits, CA 165: Apps 53, Gls 9, Asts 9, MoM 8, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.45

Transfers to Man Utd for 975k[/b]

2008-09, Man Utd, CA 180: Apps 41 (2), Gls 8, Asts 6, MoM 2, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.00

2009-10, Man Utd, CA 186: Apps 36, Gls 6, Asts 5, MoM 9, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.75

2010-11, Man Utd, CA 194: Apps 43 (7), Gls 10, Asts 3, MoM 6, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.52

2011-12, Man Utd CA 200: Apps 47 (1), Gls 12, Asts 4, MoM 4, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.50

2012-13, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 45 (3), Gls 10, Asts 4, MoM 5, YC 4, RC 1, Avg 7.31

2013-14, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 45 (2), Gls 6, Asts 6, MoM 5, YC 3, RC 2, Avg 7.36

2014-15, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 44, Gls 3, Asts 4, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.43

2015-16, Man Utd, CA 200: Apps 50, Gls 2, Asts 7, MoM 9, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.54

2016-17, Man Utd, CA 196: Apps 36, Gls 0, Asts 6, MoM 0, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.31

2017-18, Man Utd, CA 190: Apps 39, Gls 4, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 8, RC 0, Avg 7.46

2018-19, Man Utd, CA 188: Apps 32, Gls 3, Asts 6, MoM 3, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.59

2019-20, Man Utd, CA 193: Apps 39, Gls 4, Asts 4, MoM 7, YC 6, RC 1, Avg 7.44

2020-21, Man Utd, CA 194: Apps 36, Gls 1, Asts 4, MoM 0, YC 6, RC 1, Avg 7.22

2021-22, Man Utd, CA 189: Apps 34, Gls 3, Asts 4, MoM 3, YC 8, RC 1, Avg 7.38

2022-23, Man Utd, CA 184: Apps 45, Gls 5, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.40

Notes: Improves his performance on return to the Premiership, helping Man Utd to not get involved in a relegation scrap. Reaches 96 caps with five goals in an excellent season.

Centre Mid 4

2006-07, Bandits, CA 152: Apps 54 (1), Gls 4, Asts 3, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.53

Transfers to Chelsea for 1.4m

2007-08, Chelsea, CA 165: Apps 42 (2), Gls 0, Asts 4, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 6.77

2008-09, Chelsea, CA 176: Apps 20 (10), Gls 3, Asts 7, MoM 0, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 6.73

2009-10, Chelsea, CA 187: Apps 35 (5), Gls 2, Asts 3, MoM 2, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.14

2010-11, Chelsea, CA 194: Apps 50 (1), Gls 2, Asts 5, MoM 1, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.24

2011-12, Chelsea, CA 197: Apps 57, Gls 3, Asts 11, MoM 3, YC 9, RC 1, Avg 7.54

2012-13, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 57, Gls 3, Asts 8, MoM 4, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.30

2013-14, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 44, Gls 7, Asts 5, MoM 1, YC 8, RC 0, Avg 7.34

2014-15, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 51, Gls 3, Asts 6, MoM 6, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.47

2015-16, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 51 (3), Gls 1, Asts 3, MoM 2, YC 8, RC 1, Avg 7.43

2016-17, Chelsea, CA 191: Apps 37 (6), Gls 2, Asts 7, MoM 4, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.26

2017-18, Chelsea, CA 187: Apps 33 (6), Gls 4, Asts 5, MoM 0, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 6.97

2018-19, Chelsea, CA 187: Apps 31 (5), Gls 2, Asts 7, MoM 1, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 6.89

2019-20, Chelsea, CA 189: Apps 30, Gls 2, Asts 4, MoM 2, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.57

2020-21, Chelsea, CA 189: Apps 39 (4), Gls 3, Asts 7, MoM 4, YC 7, RC 1, Avg 7.40

2021-22, Chelsea, CA 185: Apps 24 (10), Gls 3, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 6.94

2022-23, Chelsea, CA 178: Apps 10 (12), Gls 1, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 6.36

Notes: Oh dear. An absolutely appalling season sees him one of the weakest performers in the Chelsea squad that played enough to win another Premiership medal. Still plays the odd game for England, reaching 71 caps with six goals, but substitute appearances can surely not be solely blamed for that level of performance. Extremely poor.

Striker 1

2006-07, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 3 (32), Gls 7, Asts 0, MoM 2, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 6.91

2007-08, Chelsea, CA 165: Apps 36 (4), Gls 21, Asts 1, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.28

2008-09, Chelsea, CA 179: Apps 23 (9), Gls 18, Asts 2, MoM 4, YC 4, RC 1, Avg 7.31

2009-10, Chelsea, CA 189: Apps 11 (13), Gls 8, Asts 2, MoM 2, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.21

2010-11, Chelsea, CA 193: Apps 32 (4), Gls 21, Asts 1, MoM 2, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.56

2011-12, Chelsea, CA 199: Apps 39 (7), Gls 21, Asts 4, MoM 2, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.61

2012-13, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 43 (5), Gls 27, Asts 0, MoM 2, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.52

2013-14, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 44 (6), Gls 26, Asts 4, MoM 5, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.62

2014-15, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 33 (7), Gls 21, Asts 1, MoM 6, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.63

2015-16, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 41 (6), Gls 25, Asts 3, MoM 4, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.55

2016-17, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 34 (6), Gls 25, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.55

2017-18, Chelsea, CA 196: Apps 28 (5), Gls 16, Asts 0, MoM 3, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.48

2018-19, Chelsea, CA 194: Apps 18 (11), Gls 13, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.48

2019-20, Chelsea, CA 188: Apps 13 (10), Gls 11, Asts 1, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.39

2020-21, Chelsea, CA 188: Apps 16 (12), Gls 10, Asts 1, MoM 3, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.54

2021-22, Chelsea, CA 190: Apps 29 (10), Gls 21, Asts 4, MoM 7, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.59

2022-23, Chelsea, CA 179: Apps 26 (3), Gls 18, Asts 2, MoM 5, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.38

Notes: Continues to play a decent amount for Chelsea having proved his goalscoring mettle, and regularly knocks them in to stay in and around the first team. Reaches a whopping 96 goals in 116 caps and will hope to reach a century of international goals by the time he retires. A superb player, he wins his third consecutive Premiership medal. CA is dropping fast though.

Striker 2

2006-07, Bandits, CA 151: Apps 55, Gls 37, Asts 3, MoM 6, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 8.11

Transfers to Chelsea for 100k

2007-08, Chelsea, CA 165: Apps 26 (7), Gls 20, Asts 0, MoM 3, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.15

2008-09, Chelsea, CA 179: Apps 22, Gls 13, Asts 2, MoM 3, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.55

2009-10, Chelsea, CA 184: Apps 52 (1), Gls 31, Asts 3, MoM 9, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 7.89

2010-11, Chelsea, CA 188: Apps 52 (1), Gls 31, Asts 4, MoM 6, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.83

2011-12, Chelsea, CA 196: Apps 54, Gls 34, Asts 5, MoM 10, YC 9, RC 0, Avg 7.98

2012-13, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 55, Gls 31, Asts 4, MoM 5, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.76

2013-14, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 60, Gls 35, Asts 5, MoM 9, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.88

2014-15, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 50, Gls 28, Asts 0, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.92

2015-16, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 53 (1), Gls 31, Asts 3, MoM 8, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.98

2016-17, Chelsea, CA 195: Apps 36 (1), Gls 17, Asts 3, MoM 5, YC 9, RC 0, Avg 7.84

2017-18, Chelsea, CA 190: Apps 46 (1), Gls 26, Asts 2, MoM 5, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.77

2018-19, Chelsea, CA 189: Apps 54, Gls 27, Asts 3, MoM 6, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.63

2019-20, Chelsea, CA 188: Apps 48, Gls 27, Asts 4, MoM 5, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.92

2020-21, Chelsea, CA 191: Apps 49, Gls 29, Asts 2, MoM 6, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.88

2021-22, Chelsea, CA 194: Apps 44 (1), Gls 24, Asts 1, MoM 5, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.93

2022-23, Chelsea, CA 178: Apps 44 (3), Gls 26, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.36

Notes: It seems churlish to say that his performances are so much worse than they have been, in fact this is his worst season in fifteen years. But he still scores 26 goals, wins a Premiership medal, and at international level remains untouchable, reaching 117 goals in 139 caps. Will always remain a legend, but with his CA dropping so fast this could be the season that the decline really kicks in. Still comes third in European Striker of the Year.

Striker 3

2006-07, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 1 (25), Gls 2, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 6.58

Loaned to Sheff Utd

2007-08, Sheff Utd, CA 165: Apps 30, Gls 20, Asts 3, MoM 8, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.77

2007-08, Chelsea, CA 165: Apps 3, Gls 3, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.67

2008-09, Chelsea, CA 181: Apps 26 (5), Gls 17, Asts 2, MoM 3, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.29

2009-10, Chelsea, CA 185: Apps 28 (8), Gls 17, Asts 2, MoM 3, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.61

2010-11, Chelsea, CA 190: Apps 6 (12), Gls 5, Asts 0, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.00

2011-12, Chelsea, CA 196: Apps 30 (9), Gls 22, Asts 1, MoM 2, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.44

2012-13, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 21 (15), Gls 17, Asts 0, MoM 2, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.22

2013-14, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 14 (5), Gls 13, Asts 1, MoM 2, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.79

2014-15, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 22 (7), Gls 16, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.48

2015-16, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 22 (13), Gls 14, Asts 0, MoM 1, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.23

2016-17, Chelsea, CA 200: Apps 35 (9), Gls 22, Asts 3, MoM 4, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.55

2017-18, Chelsea, CA 192: Apps 21 (17), Gls 15, Asts 1, MoM 1, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.29

2018-19, Chelsea, CA 188: Apps 11 (5), Gls 5, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.00

2019-20, Chelsea, CA 186: Apps 16 (9), Gls 12, Asts 0, MoM 1, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.40

2020-21, Chelsea, CA 187: Apps 17 (5), Gls 10, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.27

2021-22, Chelsea, CA 186: Apps 13 (2), Gls 8, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.73

2022-23, Chelsea, CA 182: Apps 34 (4), Gls 23, Asts 1, MoM 0, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.29

Notes: Plays a lot more this season, scores the goals, but doesn’t put in the all round performance that he did last season. That said, the 67 goals the three ex-Bandit strikers scored for Chelsea this season remain invaluable, and when they all retire they will be sorely missed. Reaches 18 goals in 53 international appearances, and wins another Premiership medal.

Striker 4

2006-07, Bandits, CA 150: Apps 55 (2), Gls 31, Asts 2, MoM 5, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.91

2007-08, Bandits, CA 166: Apps 2, Gls 4, Asts 0, MoM 2, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 9.00

Transfers to Liverpool on a free

2007-08, Liverpool, CA 166: Apps 46 (1), Gls 23, Asts 4, MoM 5, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 7.34

2008-09, Liverpool, CA 180: Apps 52, Gls 26, Asts 0, MoM 6, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.52

2009-10, Liverpool, CA 190: Apps 45, Gls 25, Asts 1, MoM 11, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.87

2010-11, Liverpool, CA 194: Apps 53, Gls 31, Asts 2, MoM 9, YC 6, RC 1, Avg 7.83

2011-12, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 58, Gls 42, Asts 5, MoM 14, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 8.07

2012-13, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 55, Gls 33, Asts 4, MoM 11, YC 7, RC 1, Avg 7.85

2013-14, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 49, Gls 37, Asts 1, MoM 14, YC 8, RC 0, Avg 8.22

2014-15, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 51, Gls 33, Asts 3, MoM 11, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.88

2015-16, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 48, Gls 33, Asts 1, MoM 5, YC 3, RC 0, Avg 7.96

2016-17, Liverpool, CA 200: Apps 46, Gls 27, Asts 0, MoM 9, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.76

2017-18, Liverpool, CA 186: Apps 36, Gls 27, Asts 1, MoM 11, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.97

2018-19, Liverpool, CA 189: Apps 48, Gls 32, Asts 3, MoM 11, YC 7, RC 0, Avg 7.90

2019-20, Liverpool, CA 190: Apps 41, Gls 25, Asts 1, MoM 8, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.85

2020-21, Liverpool, CA 188: Apps 53, Gls 28, Asts 3, MoM 10, YC 4, RC 1, Avg 7.74

2021-22, Liverpool, CA 186: Apps 38, Gls 20, Asts 2, MoM 4, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.87

2022-23, Liverpool, CA 178: Apps 39, Gls 20, Asts 2, MoM 7, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.72

Notes: Does not have the problem that his Chelsea counterparts have, of struggling for first team football on a regular basis, and makes the most of it with his fifteenth consecutive season of 7.50 or above. Heads towards a century of internationals, with 94 caps and 57 goals to his name.

Bad player reports

Idiot A

2006-07, Tottenham, CA 150: Apps 47, Gls 8, Asts 8, MoM 7, YC 4, RC 2, Avg 7.34

2007-08, Tottenham, CA 165: Apps 39, Gls 3, Asts 6, MoM 2, YC 9, RC 1, Avg 7.21

2008-09, Tottenham, CA 177: Apps 1, Gls 0, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.00

Transfers to Fiorentina for 13.25m

2008-09, Fiorentina, CA 177: Apps 34, Gls 5, Asts 5, MoM 3, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 7.56

2009-10, Fiorentina, CA 184: Apps 37, Gls 6, Asts 6, MoM 2, YC 5, RC 4, Avg 7.41

2010-11, Fiorentina, CA 190: Apps 39, Gls 10, Asts 4, MoM 8, YC 3, RC 1, Avg 7.72

2011-12, Fiorentina, CA 197: Apps 7, Gls 3, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 0, RC 0, Avg 8.14

2012-13, Fiorentina, CA 200: Apps 20, Gls 4, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.35

2013-14, Fiorentina, CA 200: Apps 16, Gls 3, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.56

Leaves Fiorentina on a free, joins Tottenham

2014-15, Tottenham, CA 200: Apps 48, Gls 8, Asts 5, MoM 2, YC 7, RC 1, Avg 7.35

2015-16, Tottenham, CA 200: Apps 40, Gls 2, Asts 3, MoM 3, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.30

2016-17, Tottenham, CA 200: Apps 40 (3), Gls 6, Asts 3, MoM 3, YC 6, RC 1, Avg 7.30

2017-18, Tottenham, CA 196: Apps 39 (1), Gls 4, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 2, RC 2, Avg 7.07

2018-19, Tottenham, CA 181: Apps 0 (3), Gls 1, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 6.67

Transfers to Leeds on a free transfer

2019-20, Leeds, CA 172: Apps 49 (1), Gls 1, Asts 5, MoM 2, YC 4, RC 2, Avg 7.22

2020-21, Leeds, CA 161: Apps 24 (4), Gls 4, Asts 2, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 7.14

Transfers to Leeds for 5m

2021-22, Palermo, CA 144: Apps 25, Gls 4, Asts 4, MoM 2, YC 2, RC 6, Avg 7.36

2022-23, Palermo, CA 135: Apps 38 (2), Gls 6, Asts 19, MoM 0, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.50

Notes: His ability is still on the slide, although he plays very well in Italy, contributing 19 assists to Palermo’s season. Their European season was not hugely successful, with a Champions League exit in the qualifying round followed by dismissal from the UEFA Cup at the second knockout stage.

He is quiet these days, probably because he knows perfectly well that he isn’t the player he once was, and has very much lost his pace in particular. How much longer he will last in the game remains to be seen. His international career, standing at 49 caps and three goals, has been unchanged in years.

Idiot B

2006-07, Newcastle, CA 150: Apps 46, Gls 1, Asts 7, MoM 1, YC 5, RC 3, Avg 7.30

Transfers to West Ham for 11.5m

2007-08, West Ham, CA 165: Apps 40, Gls 5, Asts 3, MoM 2, YC 6, RC 0, Avg 7.13

2008-09, West Ham, CA 177: Apps 42, Gls 2, Asts 3, MoM 2, YC 3, RC 2, Avg 7.29

2009-10, West Ham, CA 185: Apps 49, Gls 3, Asts 7, MoM 6, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.35

2010-11, West Ham, CA 193: Apps 42 (2), Gls 4, Asts 5, MoM 4, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.20

2011-12, West Ham, CA 197: Apps 32, Gls 5, Asts 2, MoM 3, YC 6, RC 1, Avg 7.22

2012-13, West Ham, CA 197: Apps 9 (2), Gls 1, Asts 0, MoM 0, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 6.91

Released by West Ham, joins Fulham on a free

2012-13, Fulham, CA 197: Apps 28, Gls 3, Asts 7, MoM 4, YC 5, RC 0, Avg 7.57

2013-14, Fulham, CA 200: Apps 52, Gls 2, Asts 8, MoM 5, YC 4, RC 2, Avg 7.38

2014-15, Fulham, CA 200: Apps 30 (3), Gls 2, Asts 9, MoM 2, YC 0, RC 2, Avg 7.30

2015-16, Fulham, CA 200: Apps 23 (4), Gls 2, Asts 3, MoM 3, YC 1, RC 1, Avg 7.19

2016-17, Fulham, CA 199: Apps 7 (16), Gls 4, Asts 0, MoM 1, YC 1, RC 0, Avg 6.83

Leaves Fulham, joins Sunderland on a free transfer

2017-18, Sunderland, CA 198: Apps 46, Gls 3, Asts 4, MoM 4, YC 5, RC 1, Avg 7.37

2018-19, Sunderland, CA 183: Apps 39, Gls 4, Asts 1, MoM 1, YC 9, RC 1, Avg 7.09

2019-20, Sunderland, CA 179: Apps 45 (1), Gls 2, Asts 4, MoM 5, YC 11, RC 1, Avg 7.24

2020-21, Sunderland, CA 153: Apps 14 (11), Gls 3, Asts 2, MoM 0, YC 2, RC 1, Avg 6.96

Joins Derby on a free transfer

2021-22, Derby, CA 149: Apps 25 (7), Gls 5, Asts 6, MoM 2, YC 2, RC 0, Avg 7.16

2022-23, Derby, CA 140: Apps 6 (5), Gls 2, Asts 0, MoM 1, YC 0, RC 1, Avg 7.00

Joins Rangers for 775k

2022-23, Rangers, CA 140: Apps 17, Gls 0, Asts 6, MoM 2, YC 4, RC 0, Avg 7.41

Notes: For the first half of the season, he struggles to get into the Derby line-up, and after complaining about his lack of first team opportunities, leaves for Rangers in January, for 775k. On the same day, a newspaper prints more articles about his mental state, claiming he still has personal problems.

Plays well for Rangers, but towards the end of the season decides that enough is enough, and despite being a better player than Idiot A, decides to become the first test subject to retire. This season was his last. He will retire with 61 caps and nine goals.

Goodbye Idiot B.

Other stats

England disappointed again in last summer’s World Cup, losing in the quarter finals to Portugal, on penalties, for the ten millionth time in their history. This time around, they are again top of their qualifying group for Euro 2024, with four wins and no goals conceded.

Chelsea had an appalling start to the Premiership, but recovered well to claim it for the third year in a row, keeping QPR down in second. They actually lost eleven games but with no-one ever going on a decent run, they were able to sneak it. Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd are comfortably off the pace.

Premiership

Birmingham won their second cup in as many seasons, beating Man Utd in the FA Cup final, while Arsenal saw off Tottenham in the League Cup.

Real Madrid reached their sixth consecutive Champions League final, but lost it to Milan, while Deportivo beat Newcastle in the UEFA Cup.

Summary

The Bandits consolidated nicely in League One, never being in real danger of relegation throughout the season despite only bringing in two players. Again, they went good distance in the cups, but need to bring in a few replacements for the older heads if they are to challenge for a place in the Championship.

The ex-Bandits are now definitely getting older. They are about to turn 34, and for some you can tell in their performances. Even the strikers, who are still scoring hatfuls, are, on the most part, contributing less to the games than they used to. What about their international careers? Will they all retire at the same time? Will any look to coaching in the next season or two?

The idiots have really lost their star appeal now – Idiot A is the weakest of the 24 players, and Idiot B has decided to call it a day. He isn’t planning to stay in football, so we may have seen the last of him.

John Terry has switched back to Chelsea, now as manager, and it will be interesting to see if he does a Jose Mourinho and completely wastes some of their best players.

Onward.

Bandit’s former manager watch

Justin Edinburgh had a superb season – after getting promoted with Sheff Wed, they finished 4th in the Championship, losing in the playoff semi finals. He could be a Premiership manager before long – on the other hand he may have made an old mistake and created expectations he can’t meet.

With Blackburn flirting with relegation, Steve Brackstone was sacked. Afterwards, Blackburn surged up the league, finishing fifth and beating Justin Edinburgh’s Sheff Wed in the playoff semi, before losing to Watford in the final. Meanwhile, Brackstone was hired as manager of Yeovil, then 18th in the Championship.

Two weeks after he was hired, Yeovil came up against his former employers, the Bandits, in the third round of the FA Cup. After drawing the initial game, he had to return to the Bandits’ huge stadium, where his side were humbled 3-0. He did, however, help his team recover to 12th in the league by the end of the season.

Bandits squad

General

Stats

Finance Overview

Interested Players

After ridiculing the media prediction of instant relegation, and going on another set of cup runs, the reputation of the Bandits continued to rise, with the number of players willing to join reaching a new high of 5927, beating last season’s 5750.

The standard of player available is now far higher than that of the current squad, although stability has proved a success – what will happen this summer?

Top 20 in Squad (sorted by CA)

Name, Pos, Age, CA-PA

McKee, AM RL, 28, 120-132 – new signing

Watson, MC, 31, 115-135 (0)

Atkinson, GK, 32, 115-116 (-1)

Ashton, DRL, 27, 115-115 (0)

Law, GK, 27, 115-115 (0)

Townsend, DC, 23, 112-116 (+2)

Bryant, ST, 27, 112-113 (-1)

Harvey, MC, 26, 111-111 (0)

Askey, DC, 34, 110-118 (0)

Joynes, DM, AM RC, 30, 109-111 (-2)

Davies, D/WB L, 25, 109-109 (0)

Ashley, DC, 20, 102-110 (+17)

Kinch, ST, 33, 96-119 (-7)

Butler, DC, 20, 93-101 – new signing

Gallagher, DM, 18, 92-128 (+9)

Wells, ST, 32, 92-97 (-2)

Slade, ST, 19, 91-100 – new entry in top 20, youth player

Cooper, AMR, 29, 88-91 (-1)

Wood, AMC, 20, 85-98 – new entry in top 20, youth player

MacDonald, MRLC, 34, 84-117 (-9)

Players in last season’s top 20 who have left the club:

Arnold, FC, 19, 100-117

Stephens, AML, 19, 88-119

Hinds, AML, 31, 85-110

Players in last season’s top 20 who have dropped out of the top 20:

Smyth, AM L, 32, 79-118 (-14)

Not a huge amount of change this time around, with the standard of player leaving not being a collection of the club’s best players. A couple of young prospects departed, but the signing of the established McKee and the dramatic improvement of kids like Ashley probably makes up for that.

What is more concerning is that while the standard hasn’t gone down, it hasn’t really gone up either, and this means that the club’s players are just one year older, and in many cases, that spells terminal decline. Kinch, a legend at the club, is now 33, and his CA has dropped 23 points from his peak. He isn’t the same player he once was, and that will surely start to show. His longtime partner, Wells, is also fading, although at least Bryant has years left in him.

Another worry – Nick Law, star goalkeeper and regular best player, wants to move to a bigger club, and even Kinch is now considering his options. That doesn’t bode well.

But the age of the squad is what concerns me most – Perry can now, as a higher reputation club, bring in youngsters who have potential beyond 120, and keep them. He needs to, before the stars fade too badly and the soft underbelly of the club is exposed.

Mind you, every time I say they’ll struggle, they shine, so what do I know?

CA of X or above:

190 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

180 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

170 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

160 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

150 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

140 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

130 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

120 : 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1

110 : 0, 2, 2, 3, 2, 6, 7, 6, 6, 7, 8, 7, 7, 9

100 : 2, 4, 7, 7, 6, 13, 13, 12, 13, 13, 16, 12, 12, 12

90 : 7, 11, 10, 9, 10, 16, 17, 15, 15, 20, 22, 16, 15, 17

80 : 13, 14, 13, 13, 16, 21, 21, 18, 16, 21, 26, 20, 22, 21

70 : 19, 22, 21, 20, 22, 27, 25, 19, 23, 25, 30, 23, 25, 27

60 : 26, 26, 25, 23, 24, 32, 30, 24, 26, 30, 32, 26, 28, 28

50 : 30, 31, 31, 26, 26, 35, 33, 28, 32, 34, 35, 30, 32, 34

There is a marked improvement at the top end, but underneath the squad strength is fairly similar.

Analysing over their history, the 50-70 mark is similar to where it has always been, but this season sees a peak in 110+ players. The rise isn’t dramatic, but if maintained could be a successful formula over the long term.

Best and Worst

New records:

Highest League Position – 13th in League One

Highest Transfer Fee Paid – 275k, for Simon McKee

Most League Appearances - Mensah-Omari Kinch – 585 (previous: 545)

Most League Goals – Mensah-Omari Kinch – 282 (previous: 262)

This season:

Best player – Law, 7.36

Top scorer – Bryant, 25

Worst player – Davies, 6.44

My shortlist of 24 players now looks like this:

Shortlist

The Bandits remain sixth in the rich club list:

Rich Clubs

Idiot B – Retired 22/06/2023

Club Career:

Newcastle: Apps 46, Gls 1, Asts 7, MoM 1, YC 5, RC 3

West Ham: Apps 218, Gls 20, Asts 20, MoM 17, YC 26, RC 3

Fulham: Apps 163, Gls 13, Asts 27, MoM 15, YC 11, RC 5

Sunderland: Apps 156, Gls 12, Asts 11, MoM 10, YC 27, RC 4

Derby: Apps 43, Gls 7, Asts 6, MoM 3, YC 2, RC 1

Rangers: Apps 17, Gls 0, Asts 6, MoM 2, YC 4, RC 0

Total: Apps 643, Gls 53, Asts 77, MoM 48, YC 75, RC 16

Honours:

Intertoto Cup (Newcastle 2006, Sunderland 2019)

League Cup (Fulham 2016, Sunderland 2021)

International Career:

England: Apps 61, Gls 9, Asts 6, MoM 4, YC 3, RC 0

Honours:

World Cup (2010, 2014), Confederations Cup (2013), European Championships (2016)

Personal Awards:

European Midfielder of the Year 3rd place (2017)

Yeah I got all excited and thought the Bandits got back to back promotions until I started to read your comments and realized it was a typo... oh well, I'll still hope they get promoted next season, who knows they surprised us several times already.

Great update again Kipfizh icon14.gif

Great stuff again Kipfizh, you had me going there for a second when I saw the league position of the Bandits icon_wink.gif

I suppose its not overly surprisingly that one of the Idiot's retired first, due to their professionalism and determination being so low.

One question Kipfish, you probably have been mentionned earlier, but I can't find it in the last few pages... on the Bandits' playing page there is the affiliated clubs submenu, could you possible tell us /re-tell us, who their Parent or more likely Feeder Clubs are please?

Cheers, KUTGW icon14.gif

Excellent stuff kipfizh. Your determination to see this through to the end is extremely impressive!

As well as throwing up some very interesting questions, this test has also proved several of SI's statements about the qualities of players as they age.

Firtsly lazy players will decline rapidly as they get older and retire earlier - Vis Idiots A & B (RIP Idiot B icon_frown.gif ) However it appears that high ambition doesn't necessarily equate to keeping yourself in good shape.

Secondly Strikers and wide midfieldes decline earlier - and significantly more rapidly - than defenders and central midfielders. These attacking minded players have suddenly gone from around 190 CA to around 178 CA. The exception is Striker 3, who has played far fewer games than his colleagues.

You've also provided ammunition for the argument that people get far too hung up on CA and PA. Look at striker 4. A CA of 178 and yet a Avg rating of 7.72.

KUTGW!

Archived