dafuge's FM11 challenge

Just played against 22nd placed Basingstoke. Took a 2-0 lead inside the first half hour, but managed to throw it away and Basingstoke won 3-2 with a 93rd minute goal. Next up a game against Gateshead, who I haven't beaten in five attempts yet in this game.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm currently looking at re-signing Dean Bailey, the left winger who I sold to Championship Huddersfield for £350k a few years back. His contract is up in 3 months time, getting him back for free would be awesome!

Actually, he ended up going to Premiership Swindon for £2.6m instead... I may have been aiming a bit high! The good news is that I put a 50% sell on clause when I sold him! Delicious moneys!!!

Here's a strange question. If you sell and player but have a sell on clause on him, then buy him back yourself at a later date, do you still get the money from the sell on clause?

Here's a strange question. If you sell and player but have a sell on clause on him, then buy him back yourself at a later date, do you still get the money from the sell on clause?

You definitely used to in previous FMs. Saved a fortune that way over the years! Not sure if it's changed with FM11, but I can't see why not.

So close to a 3-2 win over league leaders Salisbury, how has everyone else fared against them, they're pretty hard to play against. 10 games left, 15th place, 13 points clear of the drop, 15 points off the playoffs. I'll take 15th right now, to be honest.

Salisbury are league leaders in the BSP in my game at the moment. I've played them 6 times so far in the challenge, 4 defeats, 1 win and 1 draw. So I pretty much hate them as well :D

Matt Upson signs for FC United.. In the Blue Square Premier!! ;)

Haha! He's considerably better than the real Matty Upson as well.... Positioning 9 as opposed to 2 or 3 for the real one.

Good news... I'm thoroughly drunk therefore yesterday didn't happen and I can play some FM... play-off time :):):)

Salisbury are league leaders in the BSP in my game at the moment. I've played them 6 times so far in the challenge, 4 defeats, 1 win and 1 draw. So I pretty much hate them as well :D

Lost 2-1 to them at home as well, so I am doing alright, results-wise. New mini-aim for the future - defeat Salisbury.

Well Im awake again and ready to start the gaming day!

Dons: Unlucky to go our in the playoff final! The squad still looks fantastic. Thanks for the update and GL next season. I think you can qualify for an automatic spot!

Darren1983: I know how you feel. Nothing frustrates me more than FM sometimes. The emotions this game can generate are fantastic though, even if it is a rollercoaster. Good luck in season 3! Its been a lucky season for most of the people who have been struggling. Hopefully it will be lucky for you (and probably me) as well.

vikeologist: Thanks for the input :) Yeah that extra few weeks at the start does help. I usually try to get all the signings I can done before June 1st when everyone else seems to start paying attention. The cofee cup and more was thrown at the players last night. I prefer to sympathise so as not to decimate moral, but you're right. At some point you just have to get in their faces and let them know just how *****ed off you are.

deadfncat: Sorry to hear you got the sack. Try and keep your expectations low the first few seasons. Then as long as the team isn't relegated you cant be sacked.

Gypsum: Thats the really strange part. We did well during the whole super busy run. It was once we went back to playing 1 game a week, or with even more time in between that the team fell apart. It seems like the short time in between games at least kept the squad focused.

Terk: Are you sure we aren't playing the same game? Teams falling apart right before the end of the season are enough to drive you crazy. I hope you (and I) can get the ship righted before the end of the season and at least qualify for the playoffs.

Jaffa: GL on that replay!

fcunitedfan: Yep, you'd get the 50%. I rarely resign players I've sold though unless the board sells them over my head or I really didn't want to sell origionally but had no choice. If someone thinks they were too good to me and moved on, I'm sure not throwing a lifeline when I finally end up cruising by them.

sheeshy: Salisbury cruised through the BSS in season 1 on my game. They are currently 4th in the BSP in season 2 and I suspect will win the playoff there as well. Thats what 1800 starting rep will do for you! :p Salisbury are already a mini-rivalry on my game, simply because they made getting Chippenham at the start a royal pain. We beat them in the FA cup second round this year to get 1 up on that competition :)

Such a friendly thread.

Good luck, well done or commiserations to everyone (choose your own as you deem appropriate :D )

The FA cup has thrown up a couple of easier games and the confidence is back in the team, we are starting to put in some good performances. You know things are going alright when the opposition manager wheels out the 'should shoot rather than walk the ball into the net' line is his post match chat. :D

Damn them and their 1800 rep. It's a good early aim, finish above the team with a huge rep. They did get beat 7-0 by Bromley which was a huge shock to everyone.

Safety is more or less assured for Oxford City now, I'll do a first season update in my next post.

Terk: Are you sure we aren't playing the same game? Teams falling apart right before the end of the season are enough to drive you crazy. I hope you (and I) can get the ship righted before the end of the season and at least qualify for the playoffs.

It feels like it sometimes :D Things are picking up now though, the last six games have seen us get four wins, a draw and a defeat. We're not playing well at all, but we're just about doing enough to get through games. With seven games left the table looks as follows;

1. Salisbury 79 points (+39 GD)

2. Marine 77 points (+35 GD)

3. Gateshead 75 points (+25 GD)

4. Mansfield 75 points (+19 GD)

This could go all the way to the final day.

Wow. Just won a really, really tense BSP play-off semi-final against Mansfield!

Wasn't looking at all good in the first leg away, when we went down to 10 men and 1-0 down... I decided to take a risk and keep the shape, at 4-3-2 with a gaping hole down the left of midfield, with all our passing being focussed down the right flank. I also moved the right striker to a right-forward position and the left striker to dead central. Looked most odd! But we got 1 chance and took it. 1-1 away, then scraped out a 2-1 at home.

Final against Dag & Red now :eek:

Cheers Terk :)

I'll do a little "live text" here (like on the BBC, but far more important :D). It could take some time as I make a million tactical changes in matches like this in an attempt to feel "clever", even though most of it probably does nothing :p

0 min: Wow, Wembley is loud! :D

24 min: Goal for us ruled out for offside... really marginal...

30 min: Eurgh.... really struggling to get hold of the ball. Changing from 4-4-2 to 4-6-0 Diamond until half-time to get some confidence on the ball - too many people playing nervously.

45 min: Half-time and it's a bore draw. D&R have dominated in terms of chances, but we got a foothold at the end of the half with some possession at least. Something to build on.

50 min: Oh dear.... brought 2 subs on at half-time (for morale reasons) and 5 minutes into the second half a player goes off injured. No subs remaining for 40 mins. Already some tired legs out there.

57 min: GOAL! Tonbridge 1-0 Dag & Red!! Our corner is headed clear and the D&R defence don't reshape at all - Rees slots an easy ball through and Wynter slots home! (Made by Arsenal; scored by Arsenal!)

61 min: Now all of a sudden we're playing with confidence, so I've pushed back up to a straight 4-4-2.

64 min: Continuing to keep the ball well, forcing another corner. However, a few guys are already into the low 60s stamina. Staying with 4-4-2 but going to sit deeper and keep the ball out wide.

77 min: 10 minutes of intense pressure. D&R changed to 3-4-3 and kept the ball in our half for ages, winning two corners. A lot of balls being pumped into the box, but we'll take those all day, with two good jumping DCs, and I've got my target man ST back for corners now.

84 min: Time-wasting set to max; width set to almost max; all roles set to defend except the strikers on support. 7 minutes of good possession for us though! COME ON!

90 min: Only one attack of note from D&R, brilliantly saved by our GK at the near post! THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!! TONBRIDGE ANGELS ARE PROMOTED!!!!!!!!!!!

What a difference a day makes. At least one of our strikers has finally found the back of the net. We blasted relegation candidate Glousester at their own ground 4-0 with captain Gibson scoring all 4 of the goals. Now thats how you lead by example! I had hoped I could get him to hold a team meeting to help with moral (whatever happened to that feature???), but this kind of display will substitute for that nicely.

The only change I made to the side was in goal. I had been trying to give Coll a run of games the entire second half. Both my coaches and scouts agree that he is a potential championship player and I can't afford to not develop that talent. However, he needs to work on his command of area. I'm hoping Jansson's constant yelling at the back four will keep them on their game late and stop us from letting teams steal the points.

Both teams ahead of us also slipped up on the weekend. This tightened up the race at the top and with 3 games to go, there is still everything to play for. FM really knows how to pull all the emotional strings.

Crazy. Non-league Aveley have reached the 5th round of the FA cup. AND they've beaten League 1 Portsmouth, Premiership Cardiff and Championship Derby. AND They haven't conceeded a goal against any of those teams (they've only conceeded 1 in their 9 FA cup games)!

Talk about FA cup fairy tales!

Crazy. Non-league Aveley have reached the 5th round of the FA cup. AND they've beaten League 1 Portsmouth, Premiership Cardiff and Championship Derby. AND They haven't conceeded a goal against any of those teams (they've only conceeded 1 in their 9 FA cup games)!

Talk about FA cup fairy tales!

Tell them to quit reloading already! :p Is it one of those teams that has a whole bunch of actually signed players or is it a bunch of grey? Some of the non-playable sides still seem to be able to attract quiality players that I cant even talk to somehow lol.

The end of the season is one of my favorite times of the year. Not because of the complete chaos of trying to win the league, make the playoffs, or avoid relegation. Rather, its because all those players who wouldn't give me the time of day for the entire year are finally realizing that I'm the only person that has any interest in ever signing them. They can either suck up their pride and talk to me, or go find the nearest fast food chain to work at. Most of the non-foreign players choose to suck up their pride :) I've just made offers to several potential stars for next years team, regardless of where we finish this year!

Tell them to quit reloading already! :p Is it one of those teams that has a whole bunch of actually signed players or is it a bunch of grey? Some of the non-playable sides still seem to be able to attract quiality players that I cant even talk to somehow lol.

Damn cheats! They actually have real players, who look decent for a BSN/S or maybe even BSP level. No loan players, and their manager seems perfectly normal. There seems to be nothing else remarkable about them, they've just had an amazing run of results.

Your not Aveley are you Gypsum?

I wish!

This is their last game against Championship Derby. Notice the amount of shots they had compared to their possession.

They've got Aston Villa next. Strangely, almost all of their cup matches have been at home.

Just had a game against Tamworth, they led 1-0, then had a man sent off for a two-footed challenge. We equalised before half time and then took the lead through a penalty in the 47th minute. Tamworth had two more men sent off (in the 59th and 64th minutes) and then in the 78th minute were reduced to just seven men when one of their players got injured and couldn't continue but they'd already made all three subs. They then lined up in a 5-0-1 formation and it took until the 89th minute for us to break them down again, which we did to seal a 3-1 win :D

Just had a game against Tamworth, they led 1-0, then had a man sent off for a two-footed challenge. We equalised before half time and then took the lead through a penalty in the 47th minute. Tamworth had two more men sent off (in the 59th and 64th minutes) and then in the 78th minute were reduced to just seven men when one of their players got injured and couldn't continue but they'd already made all three subs. They then lined up in a 5-0-1 formation and it took until the 89th minute for us to break them down again, which we did to seal a 3-1 win :D

ROFL! If that had happened to me last night, we probably still would have managed to draw or lose it :p Glad to see your seasons turning around :)

yeh Salisbury are crazy good for a promoted team.

When i first started loading the June 24 save i thought there was only 5 teams which got promoted, because salisbury was there EVERY TIME

wierd though, because in the game im playing now they came second last, yet every other one they get promoted first season im in

:\

Congrats wriches!

Chippenham Town have recorded another big win, this time at home to Welling. I must admit I got extremely nervous after we gave up that late goal however. With Eastbourne Boro also winning, automatic promotion is still unlikely, but at least it leaves us only needing a point in our last two games to clinch a playoff spot. Newport Co is at home to Eastbourne Boro next week, so the chance is still there for us to pick up points! Win back to back wins, moral is at least improving which gives us a chance even in the playoffs.

I'm so depressed, i'm in 3rd season and doing well in Blue Square Prem, in the FA Cup 2nd round im away to Retford who are a lower league side and im odds on to win.

I lose 2-1.

i shouldnt check the FA Cup draw, but cant resist

would of been away to Spurs.

so depressed, im £180k in debt

sigh.

Congratulations wriches!!

2 games in hand, 5 games to go, and we're in 5th place. The highest we can get is 2nd, due to Leeds raging ahead with 90+ points.

Time for it all to **** up, which it fortunately hasn't, just yet. 2-0 win against Exeter, with Frank Lampard scoring in the 96th minute.

With 6 points separating us and 2nd place Sheff Wed, anything is possible.

Congrats wriches!

Chippenham Town have recorded another big win, this time at home to Welling. I must admit I got extremely nervous after we gave up that late goal however. With Eastbourne Boro also winning, automatic promotion is still unlikely, but at least it leaves us only needing a point in our last two games to clinch a playoff spot. Newport Co is at home to Eastbourne Boro next week, so the chance is still there for us to pick up points! Win back to back wins, moral is at least improving which gives us a chance even in the playoffs.

It will definitely be interesting if Eastbourne don't beat Newport. A draw or a loss gives you a pretty decent chance, providing you win both games of course, as your GD is good. Fingers crossed for that one, as play-offs aren't nice! Nice revenue at Wembley though, I suppose.

Congratulations wriches!!

2 games in hand, 5 games to go, and we're in 5th place. The highest we can get is 2nd, due to Leeds raging ahead with 90+ points.

Time for it all to **** up, which it fortunately hasn't, just yet. 2-0 win against Exeter, with Frank Lampard scoring in the 96th minute.

With 6 points separating us and 2nd place Sheff Wed, anything is possible.

Cheers Jordan.

Is this still your first season in League 1? Sounds very close... do you play Sheff Wed in the last 5 games? Do either of you play the teams around you? Four straight promotions would be mental, I've never had more than two.

Cheers Jordan.

Is this still your first season in League 1? Sounds very close... do you play Sheff Wed in the last 5 games? Do either of you play the teams around you? Four straight promotions would be mental, I've never had more than two.

Yep, first season. I did a similar thing last year, I can get up the leagues quickly. I start to stall when I'm in the Championship/Premier League. Unfortunately, I don't play any of the teams. Sheff Wed have Rochdale, who I just destroyed. I have Bradford and Barnsley.

Just got through a rough patch with a load of injuries. Now 32 games into the League 1 season i'm 3rd, equal on points with 2nd place Portsmouth and 6 points clear of 4th place. It's basically between us to battle for 2nd place, as Leyton Orient are tearing away 13 points clear.

It will definitely be interesting if Eastbourne don't beat Newport. A draw or a loss gives you a pretty decent chance, providing you win both games of course, as your GD is good. Fingers crossed for that one, as play-offs aren't nice! Nice revenue at Wembley though, I suppose.

Newport Co. did their job. They HAMMERED Eastbourne 5-2. However, we stalled out and were unable to capitalize, so it will be the playoffs for us. It was a absolute bore of a match, with neither side doing much of anything, despite Chippenham attacking all game. I'm a bit disapointed as maidenhead was 18th and we should have been able to get more out of the game. We did however secure our playoff spot. I need only a point in the last game to ensure we gain homefield advantage for the semis.

520px-FCUM_logosvg.png

FC United of Manchester

Season 4 - 2014/2015 – nPower League Two

This season could not possibly have gone much better, but it was a true rollercoaster that thrilled to the very end. We started the season brightly and looked set to run away with promotion, but the campaign took a dent when we lost our star striker to injury and our form dropped. We fell as low as 12th and never looked like getting back to our start of season form, but we turned it around and as Jake Cassidy returned, the goals came again and we took the championship to the last game of the season where we won 3-1 whilst then-1st placed Rushden succumbed to defeat, allowing us to leapfrog them and take the title on the last day. It was a truly brilliant moment.

Sadly, we once again failed to do anything in the Cups. We lost 3-0 in the first round of the League Cup to Sheff Wed, lost on penalties to Carlisle in the first round of the Paint Trophy and we lost in the first round of the FA Cup to Gillingham in the replay 3-1. This is my main aim for next season, to turn our Cup fortunes around.

All in all it was an amazing season which saw me reject my first job offer, from fellow League 2 boys Exeter. I didn't bring in too many fresh faces but those who came in excelled and made a massive difference from last season.

League Two Table | Position Graph

Transfers | Finances

Top Players

Jake Cassidy (ST) - For the second year running, my absolute best striker. If he hadn't taken a serious injury midway through the season he would have no doubt finished Top Goalscorer in the league, sadly he didnt and only featured in 35 league games, scoring 22 times and finishing with an average rating of 7.22. He was truly brilliant to watch and I can only hope he continues to fire them in as we move forward to League One

Matthew Pearson (DC / MC) - A new signing in the January window, the first ever FC United transfer to cost a fee, 45k well spent that is for sure. The big man played in 20 league games this season and managed to get 4 Man of the Matches, 3 assists, a goal and finished with an average rating of 7.37

Curtis Weston (MC) - Another new signing, and yet another great free transfer for FC United. He featured in 36 games this season, another who had some trouble with injury. He scored 8 goals this season, a nice total for the midfielder. He was phenomenal in the middle of the park throughout the season.

Jack Dean (DC / DL) - An FC United player for the past four seasons, he just continues to improve, going from strength to strength. One of the few to still feature regularly from the team who won the Blue Square North. He was yet again great at the back, defending with great resiliance. I hope he can keep this up, with 40 appearances and an average rating of 7.04 he is still a huge part of the backbone to this team.

Next Season

I want to stay up, anything else is a bonus. However my main aim is to make it past the first round of a Cup tournament for the first time in years.

Career Overview

Season          League                League Finish     Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12         Blue Square North         1st           Promoted - Champions
2012/13         Blue Square Premier       2nd           Promoted - Play-off Winners 
2013/14         nPower League 2          19th           None
2014/15         nPower League 2           1st           Promoted - Champions

Archived