The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

Does anyone need a custom made Slazenger bat? I have five going at good prices..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Alderman swings into negative Giles

Terry Alderman, the swing bowler who twice took 40 wickets in Ashes series in England, says Australia's batsmen "should go and hang themselves" if they fall to Ashley Giles this summer. England's fast bowlers impress Alderman, but he believes not having a quality spinner is a big weakness.

"I couldn't believe how [Giles] got away with it in South Africa earlier this year," Alderman told the Sunday Mirror. "All he did was bowl negatively and get the batsmen frustrated." Giles, who is currently battling a hip injury, took 11 wickets in the five South Africa Tests at an average of 40.81.

"The reason he is suddenly getting more wickets now is that he bowls so negatively that batsmen get fed up, hit out and give their wickets away," he said. "I definitely believe if any of our batsmen get out to Giles in the Tests they should go and hang themselves. But I'm confident that won't happen." Alderman said if the same method was tried against Australia they would "give him some stick".

Giles has played only two Tests against Australia - a broken hand ruled him out of the series in Australia after the first match - and he will miss the tri-series involving Australia and Bangladesh that starts on Thursday. In 12 Tests in England in 1981 and 1989 Alderman took 83 wickets at an average of 19.33. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I take Giles has improved unbelievably since the South African tour?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

i take it alderman is a bitter old aussie trying anything to keep his name in the papers ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Giles has improved all round in the last year or so, averaging 30 with both bat and ball. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats more what I was after. No need to get aggressive icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

Been dreaming of Rob Key again have we icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

or KP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Together icon_redface.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

I guess you've to try and claim whatever small victories you can get eh icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

omg we'll see after the summer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

ashley "plan b" "king of spain" "wheelie bin" giles ifb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What were Lara's words?

"England rely too much on Harmison, if we target him don't have a plan B"

This was before he was dominated by Giles and Flintoff over the next 4 tests. I liked the way Flintoff finally allowed him to reach 10,000 runs and then a couple of balls later gave him a lethal bouncer that got him out icon_cool.gif

One of the best batsmen in the world for the past xx years...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

"He's a good bowler," said Lara diplomatically. "What is nice is that England want to seem to turn to him each and and every single time. I'm not sure if he's going to last the entire summer and if we do get hold of him, I don't know if they have a plan B." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That series...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Name Mat I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St

BC Lara 4 8 0 264 95 33.00 65.02 - 2 7 - </pre>

How out:

West Indies 1st innings R M B 4 6

*BC Lara c GO Jones b Giles 11 36 27 0 0

West Indies 2nd innings (target: 478 runs) R M B 4 6

*BC Lara b Giles 44 145 95 4 0

*BC Lara c Thorpe b Flintoff 95 196 127 15 1

West Indies 2nd innings (target: 479 runs) R M B 4 6

*BC Lara c Flintoff b Giles 13 33 21 2 0

*BC Lara b Flintoff 0 10 5 0 0

West Indies 2nd innings R M B 4 6

*BC Lara c Strauss b Flintoff 7 6 4 1 0

Brian Lara scores his 10,000th run during the above innings

*BC Lara c Bell b Harmison 79 132 93 14 0

West Indies 2nd innings (following on) R M B 4 6

*BC Lara c Trescothick b Anderson 15 40 34 1 0

</pre>

So someone who took the wicket of Brian Lara 3 times in two matches is someone who you should hang yourself if you get out to icon_confused.gif

I agree that Giles is still massively under-rated. However, even Giles himself realises that he can never be as world-class as Warne or Mutty (that's from Ashley Mallet by the way - former Aussie offie).

Lara still did pretty well in the England series, although way below his usual standards as the best batsman of the past 15 or so years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rohan:

I agree that Giles is still massively under-rated. However, even Giles himself realises that he can never be as world-class as Warne or Mutty (that's from Ashley Mallet by the way - former Aussie offie).

Lara still did pretty well in the England series, although way below his usual standards as the best batsman of the past 15 or so years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For someone who averages 54 in test cricket I'd count 33 as a failure tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rohan:

Lara still did pretty well in the England series, although way below his usual standards as the best batsman of the past 15 or so years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For someone who averages 54 in test cricket I'd count 33 as a failure tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true, but I'd be pretty happy if I'd averaged 33 for a test series icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theis:

What were Lara's words?

"England rely too much on Harmison, if we target him don't have a plan B"

This was before he was dominated by Giles and Flintoff over the next 4 tests. I liked the way Flintoff finally allowed him to reach 10,000 runs and then a couple of balls later gave him a lethal bouncer that got him out icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean cheated out by Giles (appealing for catches off the pad), getting to 10,000 runs in the next innings and the bouncer that Flintoff actually chucked?

Other than that your spot on.

icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

"He's a good bowler," said Lara diplomatically. "What is nice is that England want to seem to turn to him each and and every single time. I'm not sure if he's going to last the entire summer and if we do get hold of him, I don't know if they have a plan B." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They didn't get hold of him did they?

*BC Lara b Flintoff 0 10 5 0 0

</pre>

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was the one where he took out Lara's leg stump after watching him shuffling across too far at the start of the previous couple of innings.

I've never been so chuffed at a wicket. It was unbelievably smart and fantastically executed.

Freddy icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ninjaman:

You mean cheated out by Giles (appealing for catches off the pad), getting to 10,000 runs in the next innings and the bouncer that Flintoff actually chucked?

Other than that your spot on.

icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be silly, it's a well known fact that only Indians and Pakistanis chuck and over-appeal, other nations would never dream of doing such a thing

Lineups, from BBC

England: Marcus Trescothick, Geraint Jones, Michael Vaughan, Andrew Strauss, Andrew Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Vikram Solanki, Jon Lewis, Darren Gough, Steve Harmison.

Australia: Adam Gilchrist, Matthew Hayden, Andrew Symonds, Michael Clarke, Mike Hussey, Ricky Ponting, Damien Martyn, Brett Lee, Jason Gillespie, Mike Kasprowicz, Glenn McGrath.

Was qsurprised to see Kabir in the squad for the TwentyTwenty as he's not really got the variation of someone like Gough or the pace and bounce of a Flintoff/Harmison type, he can bowl a good line and length but hasn't really learned how to mix it up a bit yet Vaughan keeps insisting on bowling him at the death in ODI's the silly gonk icon13.gif

Archived