The Brazil Thread

masteR+_+

Yes, but there is a 00000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance his comment will affect FM and make him be dropped from the first team, so it's still worth it. :D

An in any case, PVC is in general a good journalist, FM as a Brazilian national team player should know how to handle this kind of comment, if not, he is in the wrong place (well, we know he is).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe how people are backing a journalist over a player. If it weren't for the players, even those who they perceive as not so good ones, PVC would need to find a job somewhere else, probably as a Java programmer. I hope Dunga or someone from CBF comes forward and bashes PVC publicly for disrupting the seleção's morale.

There would always be football players. It doesn't take a lot of genius to devote yourself to kicking a ball around when your alternative is being poor your whole life.

The difference is whether you're good or bad as a player (FM is bad) or good or bad at sports journalism (PVC is good insofar as there are good sports journalists).

FM isn't something PVC has to be grateful about.

Also, journalists must ask hard questions, not paparicar like all journalists like to do in Brazil. Watching the election coverage in Britain I was shocked by how disrespectful and hard-hitting they could be to their politicians.

There would always be football players. It doesn't take a lot of genius to devote yourself to kicking a ball around when your alternative is being poor your whole life.

The difference is whether you're good or bad as a player (FM is bad) or good or bad at sports journalism (PVC is good insofar as there are good sports journalists).

FM isn't something PVC has to be grateful about.

I obviously don't mean FM in particular, himself or even all current professional players in the world put together are more or less replaceable, I mean footballers as a whole. He should be grateful about being able to earn money off them and realize journalists are not the main attraction and never will be, so they should avoid this kind of direct confrontation.

Also, journalists must ask hard questions, not paparicar like all journalists like to do in Brazil. Watching the election coverage in Britain I was shocked by how disrespectful and hard-hitting they could be to their politicians.

Being "hard-hitting" towards a politician is generally a good thing, now trolling a footballer is either going to generate empty or angry answers, and neither of them are good or interesting for anyone involved. He should ask an interesting question instead of taking the **** or cornering the guy.

An in any case, PVC is in general a good journalist, FM as a Brazilian national team player should know how to handle this kind of comment, if not, he is in the wrong place (well, we know he is).

I dislike PVC because he's the typical Palmeiras supporting pundit, he looks at everything Palmeiras related in a (very) negative light in order to look "neutral", so I can't really praise him as a journalist.

And, despite his flaws and red cards, I really think Brazil improved when FM became a regular.

I am sure he would have asked interesting questions if Felipe Melo had not hung up the phone so quickly, but the guy can't accept criticism even though he always gives reasons to be criticized.

And, despite his flaws and red cards, I really think Brazil improved when FM started playing games for Brazil.

I think Brazil improved regardless of him, just because the team gelled, and FM just had the luck to get there in the right time.

Remember the first "good" game of this Brazil was the game against Portugal (that 6-2 in Brasília), a game FM didn't play.

If journalists have to be respectable to footballers then footballers have to be respectable to the home audience everytime. This is not how it goes. And even if footballers were to be worshipped, if football itself wasn't developed by a very smart group of people then the whole sport wouldn't even exist, and maybe all those intelligent Garrinchas would be doing something else entirely outside of the capitalist-rewarding radar and we wouldn't know any of them or their particular talent from the knee down, while someone as interesting mentally as PVC could be valued as a good critic on some other kind of popular sport of such a parallel reality, as he would agree with the overwhelming majority in finding a certain genre of sport fun and would be able to talk about it with a special point of view, such as his interpretation of history and statistics.

But keeping things simple, it was clear how the fight began. Felipe Melo got frustrated because he is verbally challenged, while PVC thinks fast and structures thought. Felipe Melo couldn't handle a 'difficult' tension.

I don't get the Dunga hate. His list is very logical.

It's logical considering who he has been calling up, but this team is already been labelled the worst Brazil of the last 30 years or more, also the fact he left out lots of popular players and the fact he was very antipathetic in the press conference is causing his popularity to return to 2007-2008 levels...

I agree with yovan, but I still disagree with Michel Bastos and even Gilberto. I'm starting to like Grafite now though :o

Why (the bold part)?

Almost half of the team is not wanted by a significant amount of fans:

Doni

Luisão

Michel Bastos/Gilberto

Gilberto Silva

Felipe Melo

Kléberson

Elano

Júlio Baptista

Grafite

In some cases, especially Elano's, this is silly, but it's hard for Dunga to get support if he selects players few people want.

As some journalist said, this is supposed to be the Brazilian national team, not Dunga's Brazil.

And I don't see anything wrong in people hating this team and the manager, it is very clear a joke of a squad even if it is exactly what was to be expected from Dunga.

The problem is that he has created a group and we all knew his core like a year ago.

Now people are complaining about the third goalkeeper, the fourth striker... those players aren't going to play anyway.

I don't like the list, you guys know that, but I was expecting it.

The problem is that he has created a group and we all knew his core like a year ago.

Now people are complaining about the third goalkeeper, the fourth striker... those players aren't going to play anyway.

I don't like the list, you guys know that, but I was expecting it.

We who follow football closely know and was expecting that squad, but most people only realized now how rubbish the squad is, as there was a lot of hype in the convocação and then only those mediocre players were called up while the popular ones were left out.

The media is also criticizing the squad a lot, which doesn't help Dunga's popularity.

He's hardly skinny imo :p

I think he could be useful and he's not too far from the other strikers available. He's also a hard worker.

There are still other better options than him, and I don't think he is any closer to LF, Nilmar and Robinho.

Any closer compared to who?

I thought you were comparing him to those 3 other Seleção strikers, who are all a lot better than Grafite.

The other options are mostly Fred, Adriano, etc. and while some of them are indeed better than Grafite, they are not like twice as good.

I don't think even Luís Fabiano or Adriano or Robinho are twice as good than say Washington. The level of Brazil's strikers is somewhat close because there are no players like Romário, Ronaldo or Careca at their peaks anymore.

By the way, before anyone says there is a contradiction on my post, I think someone can be a lot better than someone else but twice as good is hard unless we go down to lower levels, etc...

Ex: Flamengo are a lot better than Ceará, but certainly aren't twice as better as them.

And the same applies to strikers and other players.

As some journalist said, this is supposed to be the Brazilian national team, not Dunga's Brazil.

Haha what. Let's get rid of managers and have the nation pick the squad Big Brother phone poll style. Your journalists seems ALOT worse than the English ones and that is saying something, utterly pathetic.

Haha what. Let's get rid of managers and have the nation pick the squad Big Brother phone poll style. Your journalists seems ALOT worse than the English ones and that is saying something, utterly pathetic.

Right or wrong, it shows how disappointed most people and the media here were with Dunga's selection of players.

And I don't think they are any worse than English ones.

Funny anti-Dunga message at Maracanã yesterday:

bonecodunga_flamengo_universidadchile_ae.jpg470.jpg

The one above, directed to Dunga, is especially funny, even if a bit childish. A rough translation:

Do you know how to pray?

Because with this rubbish team, not even macumba will be enough...you're stupid...

And pics of Dunga as a donkey all over there.

Whats that football shirt on the left with the red and black stripe?

It's some old non-official Flamengo reserve shirt.

That pic is from Flamengo's Libertadores game vs U. de Chile yesterday.

Another good one, it's a billboard from Campo Grande (MS): :D

outdoordunga620.jpg

A quick translation:

Do like Dunga, don't use crack.

Craque is the word we use to refer to very good players (ex: Romário was a craque), and its pronounced like the word crack (that refers to that famous drug).

They paid R$ 8,000 to get it fixed for 15 days there.

Another good one, it's a billboard from Campo Grande (MS): :D

outdoordunga620.jpg

A quick translation:

Craque is the word we use to refer to very good players (ex: Romário was a craque), and its pronounced like the word crack (that refers to that famous drug).

They paid R$ 8,000 to get it fixed for 15 days there.

Crazy fans or self-advertisers?

Oh and the Flamengo t-shirts, reminds of Captain Tsubasa :D. Were they protesting the lack of their deity Adriano?

Crazy fans or self-advertisers?

Just some entrepreneurs who were campaigning for the inclusion of some players (like Paulo Henrique and Neymar) who didn't make it into the final 23-player list. I wouldn't say they are crazy, although spending 8k for something related to our joke of national team is silly.

Oh and the Flamengo t-shirts, reminds of Captain Tsubasa . Were they protesting the lack of their deity Adriano?

No, that one was just a general protest, but there was some other banner complaining about the absence of Adriano in the squad.

Anyway, I am loving all these protests and media criticism, hopefully it will keep that way until Brazil is eliminated in the WC (which will cause even more criticism) so that whoever comes after Dunga learns he has to try to appease the fans when calling up players, instead of calling up rubbish players nobody in Brazil cares about.

All this criticism is interesting because in other times good results helped reduce criticism, but this time Dunga is getting criticism again despite the fact his Brazil tops the FIFA ranking, and won the Conf Cup, Copa América and the WC Quals. It shows how we actually all want far more than just winning games, although winning games is very important as well.

It also reinforces my belief (and not only mine) that the lack of connection between Brazil's national team and the fans is the main reason for criticism. That could be improved if Brazil actually played games in Brazil and if more players from big Brazilian clubs were called up. Hopefully with the 2014 WC CBF will realize that and stop pretending Brazil's national team is a global institution whose only purpose is to make CBF richer.

The fact Dunga is pretty annoying for many people in inteviews and the fact CBF is almost universally hated in Brazil don't help either.

Anyway, this discussion is better for the other thread, but I wonder why Lúcio thinks the fact he (and the other Internazionale Brazilians) will play the Euro final won't harm him in the WC.

Article.

If Internazionale lose, which I hope will happen, I wonder if it will motivate their Brazilians or not for the WC.

Why would it affect the Brazilians at Inter if they lose? They/everyone knows the WC is just so much bigger that I'm sure once they get there that's all they'll be focused on. I know the FA Cup is peanuts compared to the ECL but same thing if Chelsea lose in the final, Terry and Co will be upset at the time but once it comes to the WC I really doubt it's something they'll be giving one **** about.

I don't understand why Dunga has to pick so many defensive minded midfielders. Josue, Kleberson, Melo and Gilberto Silva is surely an overkill. If Kaka is out of form or picks up an injury i don't know where the creativity is going to come from although i guess Elano is an option.

He should have taken Ronaldinho, a great luxury off the bench or as an alternative. Left-back looks like it could be a problem too, Michel Bastos doesn't even play left-back at his club. Grafite is also a bit of a surprise considering his so-so form this season.

Overall, not very impressed with the Brazil squad. Great defence but Dunga better pray his attacking players deliver or it could turn into a nightmare.

Why would it affect the Brazilians at Inter if they lose? They/everyone knows the WC is just so much bigger that I'm sure once they get there that's all they'll be focused on. I know the FA Cup is peanuts compared to the ECL but same thing if Chelsea lose in the final, Terry and Co will be upset at the time but once it comes to the WC I really doubt it's something they'll be giving one **** about.

I meant if the lose might either harm or motivate them for the WC, these Brazilian players probably won't have a better chance to win either of the tournaments again, so they either will get very motivated to win the WC if they lose the ECL, or will get down for losing it.

The fact Internazionale are playing so many extra games is of course going to tire them too, if I were Dunga I would rather have had them all eliminated in the Round of 16 in the ECL, and in some early stage of the Italian Cup, so they stay fitter for the WC.

Playing one less friendly because of all that though would be silly, worst case scenario they can just be replaced (as like any other player) and the team can move on.

I don't understand why Dunga has to pick so many defensive minded midfielders. Josue, Kleberson, Melo and Gilberto Silva is surely an overkill. If Kaka is out of form or picks up an injury i don't know where the creativity is going to come from although i guess Elano is an option.

He should have taken Ronaldinho, a great luxury off the bench or as an alternative. Left-back looks like it could be a problem too, Michel Bastos doesn't even play left-back at his club. Grafite is also a bit of a surprise considering his so-so form this season.

Overall, not very impressed with the Brazil squad. Great defence but Dunga better pray his attacking players deliver or it could turn into a nightmare.

Elano is already a first teamer and doesn't provide much creativity. If Kaká gets injured, then Júlio Baptista is going to replace him. But don't be surprised if Daniel Alves ends up becoming his replacement since he is the only bench warmer who can play in the midfield that has some creativity.

Apparently there is a very good chance Brazil play a friendly against the host nation South Africa just before the WC starts, the game would take place at some point between June 2nd and June 7th.

CBF rejected to play against the South Africans, so a month before the WC starts, Brazil still haven't confirmed any preparation game for the WC. Brazil will end up playing against a selection of players from Umkhanyakude or something. :thdn:

The Gaucho train is once again going at full speed, wonder if someone of the 23-man squad will get mysteriously injured now :cool:

Then again he works at his best when he's not hindered by the "team"

I don't think his good performance today would justify including him in the final squad (well, he could be included at the expense of Júlio Baptista but JB has done better at the national team in recent times than him so I can understand Dunga here) even if that was possible without an injury.

Anyway, it's good for him to have done well today, it serves as a sort of consolation prize for having missed the 23-player list.

Ronaldinho threw his talent away and it was obvious for 4 years, even a sequence of ten great games wouldn't mean he's back for good if he is to play till the next World Cup dreaming of being in the next World Cup, as he said he is going to focus on that

If not only Taffarel, but also Jorginho and Dunga all played in the team, the team would probably improve a lot, just get Bebeto and Romário too and the hexa would be theirs.

It seems it's all set in Curitiba and Atlético PR's training ground to receive Dunga's players this Friday. Shame the Internazionale ones won't come due to the ECL final, CBF should force them to come...

Archived