The Brazil Thread

masteR+_+

Our Zimbabwean friends are very excited about the game, and think it will boost tourism in Harare (they are assuming the game will take place there).

This article is interesting as well, their manager is likely to call up their stars like Benjani, etc... for the game against Brazil.

These games against Tanzania and Zimbabwe are going to be :cool:, even if they won't help Dunga much, apart maybe from improving fitness and help gelling the team (not that gelling is an issue, since these players have been playing together for some time now).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lula received the Brazilian national team today in Brasília, before they go to South Africa.

Lula has said in the past that be is pé-frio (an unlucky person who also brings bad luck), and to make things worse for superstitious people, Andrés Sanchez (who will lead Brazil's delegation in South Africa) is also a pé-frio, according to his own opinion. :D

:D

That would be very sad although it would probably improve most of the squad (bar some first teamers)... :D

Dadá Maravilha is spot on here.

He is criticizing the fact Grafite was included in the WC squad even though he played only 10 mins for Dunga's Brazil.

He also thinks Fábio (Cruzeiro's goalie), Diego Tardelli (Atlético Mineiro's striker) and Alex (Fenerbahçe's midfielder) should be in the team.

He is also skeptical about Luís Fabiano, since the former São Paulo striker is injured.

Lula received the Brazilian national team today in Brasília, before they go to South Africa.

Lula has said in the past that be is pé-frio (an unlucky person who also brings bad luck), and to make things worse for superstitious people, Andrés Sanchez (who will lead Brazil's delegation in South Africa) is also a pé-frio, according to his own opinion. :D

It's wrong to set the precedent that any loser visits the president. Only returning winners should do so or it devalues the whole thing :thdn:

Well, they are visiting before the WC, so they technically aren't losers yet. :D

I agree though, only the winners should visit the president, or maybe not even the winners, the president should care about more important stuff than whether some expats won a title or not.

It will be even harder for people to watch Brazil's training in South Africa than it was in Curitiba.

Although I think it was wrong not to let Brazilian fans watch training properly, since Brazil should be playing for them, I think there is nothing wrong in not letting the South African public, foreign tourists, etc... watch Brazil's training in South Africa.

Brazil don't have to be nice to them since they are not actual supporters of Brazil (even if they think they are) and have really nothing to do with what the team is supposed to represent, so Brazil should just ignore them. It's not like if losing these "supporters" will harm the team, while without Brazilian fans, the Brazilian national team have little reason to exist.

Besides, who knows if some of them wouldn't be spying for other teams, etc...

Our Zimbabwean friends are very excited about the game, and think it will boost tourism in Harare (they are assuming the game will take place there).

This article is interesting as well, their manager is likely to call up their stars like Benjani, etc... for the game against Brazil.

These games against Tanzania and Zimbabwe are going to be :cool:, even if they won't help Dunga much, apart maybe from improving fitness and help gelling the team (not that gelling is an issue, since these players have been playing together for some time now).

This more recent source say the game against Mugabe boys will be in Johannesburg instead of Harare. :(

Anyway, at least Brazil will play against them. But Brazil should play more often in African and Asian countries, and also in Central American and Caribbean countries.

But above all, Brazil should play more often in Brazil, but when playing abroad, should play in other places than Europe.

The team is already in South Africa, second team to arrive there (after Australia), apparently Brazil will stay 3 days in each foreign country (Zimbabwe and Tanzania) for the friendlies.

Dunga said at least one right thing for a change, he said that all the titles Brazil won since he assumed mean nothing now, that only winning the WC title matters.

That's true as he will still be deemed a failure if Brazil lose the WC, regardless of the Copa América and Confederations Cup titles.

Brazil's game against Zimbabwe has been confirmed to take place in their capital city Harare (National Sports Stadium) on June 2nd. :cool:

A World Cup would not be a World Cup without a goalkeeper being unhappy with the ball. :D

I always look out for your posts PMLF, I find it informative and interesting to see a Brazilian perspective on football topics.

I would love to see users from more nations on this forum to give their thoughts as eloquently as you do.

A World Cup would not be a World Cup without a goalkeeper being unhappy with the ball. :D

Yes, he was not the first one to complain about that one, I doubt he will really have any problem with it, but I find it really annoying seeing complaints about it.

I always look out for your posts PMLF, I find it informative and interesting to see a Brazilian perspective on football topics.

Thanks! Sometimes I think my posts about the national team may look a bit annoying or aggressive though. :D

Although when it's to praise, I praise, but when it's not (which unfortunately is often the case with the national team despite the good results)...

I would love to see users from more nations on this forum to give their thoughts as eloquently as you do.

Yes, it would be good if there were more users from other countries, regarding Latin America we have too few from Argentina, none from Mexico and only a couple from other countries, for example. And there are probably even less from Eastern Europe, from Eastern Asia, the Mideast, Africa, etc...

Kaká was not happy with a hard tackle by Robinho in a training match today. :D

I don't know if foreigners can see the video (it's 1:40 long, including 57 secs of commercial).

Felipe Melo was involved as well, he offered his hand to Kaká, but the former SPFC player refused it.

Robinho talked to him too and everything was fine after that.

At least that video shows the players are motivated, which is a good thing for Dunga.

Felipe Melo playing videogame against Júlio Baptista:

1549085-6907-atm14.jpg

FM won 7-1 and 4-2.

Looks like Luis Fabiano

Luís Fabiano indeed.

PMLF - what do you think will be the starting XI in the WC?

Júlio César; Maicon, Lúcio, Juan, Michel Bastos; Gilberto Silva, Felipe Melo, Elano, Kaká; Robinho, Luís Fabiano

Dunga loves that line-up, pretty much the only changes he made was using a different left-back than Michel Bastos (before he found Michel Bastos), Ramires instead of Elano (mainly in the Confederations Cup) and Nilmar instead of Robinho (when Robinho was injured).

Brazil's next game is next Wednesday, vs Zimbabwe in Harare, the kick-off time is 15:30, local time (10:30, Brasília time).

Would be hard for him to play for Citeh given they sold him last July.

Explains why I didn't see him. :p

So, to revise, not good enough for City, plays for Galatassary and is starting for Brazil. Still interesting.

Elano is criticized a lot, but he is probably one of the most useful players in the team, he delivers important passes and deliver the set pieces (set pieces are a very important part of this Brazil's tactics) and helps defending, the counter-attacks, etc...

Although I don't like the first teamers and the squad in general much, Elano (as like Lúcio) is one of the few players I actually like.

The training match today between the first team and the reserves ended 0-0, by the way, these were the line-ups:

First team (same as usual):

Julio Cesar; Maicon, Lúcio, Juan e Michel Bastos; Gilberto Silva, Felipe Melo, Elano e Kaká; Robinho e Luís Fabiano

Reserve team:

Gomes; Daniel Alves, Luisão, Thiago Silva e Gilberto; Josué, Kléberson, Ramires e Júlio Baptista; Nilmar e Grafite

The good news is that Doni is being dropped to third goalie.

According to media reports, Kaká was awful in that training match, looking physically poor, and making lots of wrong passes (including many short ones), his timing was poor too, etc... He gave the impression he might not get ready in time for the game against NK, although in 15 days I suppose he can improve a bit.

According to media reports, Kaká was awful in that training match, looking physically poor, and making lots of wrong passes (including many short ones), his timing was poor too, etc... He gave the impression he might not get ready in time for the game against NK, although in 15 days I suppose he can improve a bit.

He's going to have to be on the top of his game to overcome the NK defenders.

If he doesn't fully recover in time, it would be wise to have Daniel Alves starting on his place, or what is more likely, Júlio Baptista...

It would be silly to have him start all games despite poor physical and technical conditions only because he thinks this is his last chance to succeed in a WC.

By the way, today was Daniel Alves who made a violent tackle on Kaká in a training match. :D

Kaká has to play at least some mins against Zimbabwe and Tanzania, or he will end up too behind the rest of the squad to gain what we call ritmo de jogo.

By the way, today's training match between first teamers and bench warmers again ended 0-0.

Explains why I didn't see him. :p

So, to revise, not good enough for City, plays for Galatassary and is starting for Brazil. Still interesting.

Ronaldinho starts for AC Milan and is not good enough for Brazil. How interesting is that? :)

And I don't see why it's wrong to play for a huge team that always fight for titles like Galatasaray, better than playing for Man City (when Elano was there, they are improving now) or some other midtable or small team from the so-called big-5 leagues (like say Wolfsburg).

Brazil's squad numbers:

1- Júlio César.

2- Maicon.

3- Lúcio.

4- Juan.

5- Felipe Melo.

6- Michel Bastos.

7- Elano.

8- Gilberto Silva.

9- Luís Fabiano.

10-Kaká.

11-Robinho.

12-Gomes.

13-Daniel Alves.

14-Luisão.

15-Thiago Silva.

16-Gilberto.

17-Josué.

18-Ramires.

19-Júlio Baptista.

20-Kléberson.

21-Nilmar.

22-Doni.

23-Grafite.

Neither good nor bad but...:

Mandela’s daughter visits Brazil camp

One of Nelson Mandela’s daughters has stopped by Brazil’s training camp to meet the team preparing for this month’s World Cup. Zenani Mandela met with coach Dunga and received a Brazilian jersey as a gift. The Brazilian football confederation says Tuesday’s meeting was a retribution to Dunga’s visit to Nelson Mandela earlier this year.

He still can if someone gets injured, until a couple of days before the first game, I think.

But I hope that doesn't happen, Ronaldinho doesn't deserve to make it into the WC. I would like to see Paulo Henrique in the team though.

of course that Adriano, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho dont deserve the call up, but im just asking maybe Ganso can go.... I like Neymar but he is not going but he still young so it ok....

Yes, Neymar isn't in the extra 7 list, so has zero chances of making it into the WC.

Just for the record, Brazil beat Zimbabwe 3-0, with Mugabe attending the game and handshaking the players.

The goals were scored by Michel Bastos, Robinho and Elano. Many players, especially Kaká and Luís Fabiano, were awful. Robinho was the MoM.

Guest roberto922

Heh, I knew your hatred for Grafite would shine through in Ronaldos favour :D

Gotta agree with you on the squad not being as cool as the old ones, though Maicon and Nilmar are awesome. And if Kaka by some divine miracle (Maybe he can cash in a favour with the god he loves so much) gets back on form he's awesome

Heh, I knew your hatred for Grafite would shine through in Ronaldos favour :D

Gotta agree with you on the squad not being as cool as the old ones, though Maicon and Nilmar are awesome. And if Kaka by some divine miracle (Maybe he can cash in a favour with the god he loves so much) gets back on form he's awesome

Kaká is too annoying, I wouldn't even miss him if he had to be cut from the WC, although for Dunga he would be a big loss.

My favorite players in this squad are Lúcio, Elano and Nilmar, although Elano is a bit of a boring player, but I like him. I sympathize with Maicon too, although I didn't use to like him. :thup:

I obviously sympathize especially more with Gilberto, Kléberson and for now Robinho since they play in Brazil and so deserve to be in this team far more than the "foreigners". And I'll be happy if they do well in the WC, as well as Botafogo's El Loco Abreu (Uruguay), Atlético Mineiro's Julio César Cáceres (Paraguay) and Flamengo's Gonzalo Fierro (Chile) who are not Brazilian but play in Brazil. :cool:

Only saw the last half an hour but Dani Alves seemed to do well, one of the Zimbabwe players tried to split him in half though

Yes, he was very determined. Felipe Melo, on the other hand, was too nervous, as usual...

Archived