The Brazil Thread

masteR+_+

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully Michel Bastos, Josué, and as many meias as possible plus Grafite will get injured so most of these extra seven players can make it into the WC.

But as Helarxe pointed out, vaso ruim não quebra. :(

Notice how Adriano ended up not even making this extra seven list, as I predicted here.

so strange, putting a load of better players on the backup list.

4 of them should be in the 23.

Which 4 in your opinion?

I think Alex, Marcelo, Sandro, one of Carlos Eduardo (small team aside)/Ronaldinho Gaúcho (bad performances at the national team aside)/Paulo Henrique and Diego Tardelli are better than Luisão, both left-backs, Josué (and probably Felipe Melo), Júlio Baptista and Grafite respectively.

alex (he's better than luisao and thiago silva)

marcelo (better than gilberto and m.bastos)

ronaldinho (better than elano/j.baptista)

paulo henrique (same as above)

I suppose sandro too but i've not seen that much of him so I can't really comment tbf. wouldn't be surprised if he's a better choice than gilberto silva and/or felipe melo though. he is young though, so i'm not sure if he's ready or not.

alex (he's better than luisao and thiago silva)

marcelo (better than gilberto and m.bastos)

ronaldinho (better than elano/j.baptista)

paulo henrique (same as above)

I suppose sandro too but i've not seen that much of him so I can't really comment tbf. wouldn't be surprised if he's a better choice than gilberto silva and/or felipe melo though. he is young though, so i'm not sure if he's ready or not.

Do you think Grafite is better than Diego Tardelli?

I think it's fair enough to rule out Carlos Eduardo or Sandro (or Paulo Henrique) due to their ages, but I can't see how Grafite is better than Diego Tardelli, and he is not even really more experienced as both have a similar amount of caps but Diego Tardelli has played a longer time at bigger teams.

As this is more related to the current WC team (not to the national team in general), I'll post it here. This is the appearance of the two buses the squad will use during the first stage of the preparation, which will take place here in Brazil (the first bus will be based in Rio de Janeiro, and the second one in Curitiba for the first stage of preparation there):

onibusbrasil2_gcom_62.jpg

The buses were built in Resende, here in the state of Rio de Janeiro. :thup:

I think they look pretty beautiful despite the huge Nazi...er...CBF badge there. :D

Awful article :thdn:

oh yeah, I forgot about grafite. I don't particularly rate diego tardelli, but I am sure there are a number of strikers better than grafite.

diego tardelli's spell in europe doesn't help me, but he was pretty good last season (iirc?) for atletico mineiro.

I don't see the need for grafite though, he is old and doesn't really offer anything special. for instance, the unpredictability and rawness of neymar would at least be interesting.

oh yeah, I forgot about grafite. I don't particularly rate diego tardelli, but I am sure there are a number of strikers better than grafite.

diego tardelli's spell in europe doesn't help me, but he was pretty good last season (iirc?) for atletico mineiro.

I don't see the need for grafite though, he is old and doesn't really offer anything special. for instance, the unpredictability and rawness of neymar would at least be interesting.

Diego Tardelli was pretty immature when he played in Europe, but after he got married he sorted himself out. He is much more complete than Grafite and was also indeed the top goalscorer in the 2009 Brasileirão alongside Adriano.

And yes, there are many other strikers better than Grafite, and we don't need to leave Brazil to find them.

And that article posted by masteR+_+ is ridiculous. :D

Haha, Sandro :cool: Uncle Gomes can tell him how great Tottenham is too :thup:

I don't think Gomes is a liar, but if he is, then yes, he can tell Sandro that. :p:D

By the way, apparently Paulo Henrique, André and Neymar, all from Santos, were all shocked to hear Grafite was called up.

From Brazilian sports newspaper Lance!, what did you think of Dunga's selection of players for the WC:

Very Good	377 votes - 4.53%
Good 	       1022 votes - 12.28%
Average        1727 votes - 20.75%
Bad  	       1752 votes - 21.05%
Awful          3444 votes - 41.38%

So 62% of the voters didn't like his WC squad and only 16% actually liked it.

Awful a bit harsh isn't it? Average or bad not more appropriate surely?

I voted for awful, so no, it's not harsh. :D

I don't think it's harsh because apart from the obvious cases, almost everyone else could be replaced with better or more interesting players.

Surely an awful squad selection would be something full of dreadful players or lots of odd choices? Whilst picking a team that whilst probably not your best could still do well at the world cup can't be considered awful really.

Surely an awful squad selection would be something full of dreadful players or lots of odd choices? Whilst picking a team that whilst probably not your best could still do well at the world cup can't be considered awful really.

Isn't the bold part exactly what happened (apart from the obvious cases like Kaká and Robinho)?

Sure even with them Brazil can win the WC, but it's because of the obvious players and because Brazil is still Brazil even with them, not because of the Donis, Luisões, Josués, Felipe Melos, and Grafites.

Well it wasn't odd choices as it was pretty much the squad he had called up for most of the previous games. An awful squad would be one with players like Grafite, Doni and Josue as first teamers.

I'm probably just being a bit pedantic though. As I would consider it a bad squad rather than an awful one :D.

Well it wasn't odd choices as it was pretty much the squad he had called up for most of the previous games. An awful squad would be one with players like Grafite, Doni and Josue as first teamers.

I'm probably just being a bit pedantic though. As I would consider it a bad squad rather than an awful one :D.

They are not odd in the sense they were expected, but they are odd in the sense normal people wouldn't even consider them.

The fact they were expected probably explains why the awful option had 41% of the votes and not 50+% of the votes.

Obviously if compared to other countries, this Brazil is still one of the 3 or 4 best teams, but compared to other Brazil teams (which is what most people care about as they don't know or care about other national teams), this team is laughable. There are many players in there that we wouldn't want for our own teams, much less for the national team where the standard is supposed to be highest in the world.

So who will you be supporting at the WC then Paulo? Seeing as how you said you couldn't support this Brazil team.

I won't support anybody although I was inclined to support Chile (since Fierro and Maldonado from Flamengo are likely to be included in their final squad).

I'll certainly support the Brazil-based players though, regardless of their nationalities. And I'll support the underdogs too.

Hernanes doesn't need to move to Europe to get called up, he just needs a different (better) manager than Dunga.

One or the other really, if Hernanes was playing in Europe he'd get called up, if Dunga isn't Brazil manager he'd get called up. Sadly neither of those are true :(.

He's only got one more chance anyway, if he doesn't get called up for the Brazil 2014 side he'll never go to a World Cup :(.

One or the other really, if Hernanes was playing in Europe he'd get called up, if Dunga isn't Brazil manager he'd get called up. Sadly neither of those are true :(.

He's only got one more chance anyway, if he doesn't get called up for the Brazil 2014 side he'll never go to a World Cup :(.

Some good Euro-based Brazilian players haven't been called up either, so I really wouldn't count on the bold part.

Funny trivia - Brazil never won a WC without a São Paulo player as São Paulo had 3 players in 1958, 2 players in 1962, one player in 1970, 3 players in 1994 and 3 players in 2002).

Of course that doesn't mean Brazil will lose in 2010 because Hernanes and Miranda were not included (Brazil have lots of other reasons to lose), but it's an interesting although useless piece of info. :D

Some good Euro-based Brazilian players haven't been called up either, so I really wouldn't count on the bold part.

Funny trivia - Brazil never won a WC without a São Paulo player as São Paulo had 3 players in 1958, 2 players in 1962, one player in 1970, 3 players in 1994 and 3 players in 2002).

Of course that doesn't mean Brazil will lose in 2010 because Hernanes and Miranda were not included (Brazil have lots of other reasons to lose), but it's an interesting although useless piece of info. :D

Its not useless, its fact, FACT! :p

Oh I would, I mean, Josue? Ridiculous callup.

Its not useless, its fact, FACT! :p

Oh I would, I mean, Josue? Ridiculous callup.

It's a ridiculous call-up indeed, and Hernanes is Pelé compared to him but he is the exact one of the reasons why Hernanes lost his rightful place in the squad.

But Hernanes is better than Kléberson as well and Kléberson is in the squad, and he does play in Brazil (and at the moment isn't even a first teamer at Flamengo).

Although there is an obvious and silly bias by Dunga towards "European" players, I don't think this is why Hernanes was not called up more times by him.

Well what do you put it down to?

Probably something related to Brazil flopping in the 2008 Olympics, many players from that team were barely given more chances.

Probably something related to Brazil flopping in the 2008 Olympics, many players from that team were barely given more chances.

Which is doubly ridiculous because it was 100% Dunga's fault.

He could be managing a whole team of young Pelés, Maradonas, Puskáses and Cruyffs and still wouldn't have won it with his tactics then.

The funniest part about the Doni selection is that he hasn't even been the best Brazilian goalkeeper at his club this season. You have to wonder if Dunga put any thought into his selection at all.

He could be managing a whole team of young Pelés, Maradonas, Puskáses and Cruyffs and still wouldn't have won it with his tactics then.

I completely agree, but thinking from what is probably his reasoning:

- Brazil played with a, b and c and won Copa América

- Brazil played with d, e and f and won the Confederations Cup

- Brazil played with g, h and i and lost the Olympics.

So Dunga is not the problem, the Olympic players are.

Of course it's a flawed logic, and it's hard to determine with certainty how much of the success or failures in these comps were due to Dunga and the players.

The funniest part about the Doni selection is that he hasn't even been the best Brazilian goalkeeper at his club this season. You have to wonder if Dunga put any thought into his selection at all.

Dunga is very loyal to his players, and Doni "proved" he cares about the national team before, when he challenged Roma's board to play for Brazil.

Anyway, I would still rather have Doni than Júlio Sérgio, despite the better form of the latter at the moment.

This

= this.

----------------

A video from Nike ft. some Brazilian players.

Brazil never won a WC without a Palmeiras player either. :thup:

True, the site that mentioned SPFC's trivia didn't mention that. :thdn:

Felipe Melo insulted the famous and very respected journalist PVC: :thdn:

After PVC asked if Felipe Melo will play better for Brazil than for Juventus since Juventus had their worst campaign in 40 years, FM answered:

Do you follow the Italian League? There are controversies. I don't agree with you. I work with statistics. Out of the 6 games I missed, Juventus lost 5.

It's not because there is an award from a joke radio. You have to check the statistics of a player and then talk about this.

Are you a Journalist?

Then PVC asked Felipe Melo if he is a player, and so FM hung up the phone. :D

An hour later he apologized, saying he was too excited at the time, and some other excuses.

I can't believe how people are backing a journalist over a player. If it weren't for the players, even those who they perceive as not so good ones, PVC would need to find a job somewhere else, probably as a Java programmer. I hope Dunga or someone from CBF comes forward and bashes PVC publicly for disrupting the seleção's morale.

Between PVC and FM I will always choose PVC, FM is a nobody that achieved some success but he is a major idiot and deserves to be treated as such. And PVC didn't say anything wrong, did he?

I didn't watch the video but he shouldn't be picking up fights with players even if he is "right". Besides, I don't see any reason to choose PVC over FM since all PVC does is the same other sport journalists do, i.e. nothing I give a damn for.

Archived