The Brazil Thread

masteR+_+

I imagine Paulo is just like Sebastian Stark from the TV show Shark, except the ginger hair!

I used to watch Shark, shame it was canceled. :(

By the way, Michel Bastos had a good game today, participated in Robinho's second goal IIRC.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paulo is like a brazilian Captain America to me

Captain South America, maybe?

Captain South America, or Latin America, is :cool::D

I wonder what exactly you and masteR+_+, Helarxe, etc... would be then.

I used to watch Shark, shame it was canceled. :(

By the way, Michel Bastos had a good game today, participated in Robinho's second goal IIRC.

Hehe, thanks for the update on Bastos. Having said that, I don't count performances against the likes of Tanzania as a good indicator of how well or bad a player can be internationally.

However you can only play and beat those that are put infront of you.

Having said that, I don't count performances against the likes of Tanzania as a good indicator of how well or bad a player can be internationally.

Well, it's an indicator if you are awful, like Felipe Melo was today (and Elano was poor too, but let's forget that :D). But you ideally can't judge a player based on only one game, although sometimes there isn't any other option.

However you can only play and beat those that are put infront of you.

Yes, games like this are good to boost confidence too. If Brazil had played against a good team and struggled, Michel Bastos could end up being too shy in the next game as he would be afraid of messing up.

I'm the looseball radical sidekick who is also interested in intellectual fun... so maybe I'm Wonder Woman?

Leaving aside the fact she is a female, I suppose it's fitting considering there aren't exactly many superheroes interested in intellectual stuff.

By the way, reading foreign reports on the game, all seem to omit the fact Brazil made lots of mistakes today, I think they pretty much only saw the goals...

Il Capitano Brasil imo

This is Italian (apart from Brasil, which is Brasile in Italian). :mad::D

In Portuguese is "Capitão Brasil".

Did you watch the game?

Felipe Melo, such a joke fooballer. :D

Guess who also got today's only yellow card?

Damn :(

Nah, was it on UK tv? Glad to see Bastos played well, he's in my fantasy league :)

How will I know, I know it was on Sportv and Globo though.

Gilberto, who replaced Michel Bastos, was pretty shy, stayed back most of his time on the field, but that was kind of expected since Daniel Alves was doing so much on the other side of the pitch.

Guest roberto922

Just wondered since you were asking, if you had found it was on UK tv so was asking me :) I didn't see it anywhere

i'm amazed by some opinions in here about ronaldinho. wonder if people really have been following his career. his decadence is an obvious calamity, he had just a few very good games for milan (the one against the powerful siena one of them)...

Really? I think he's been terrific this season, comfortably AC's best performer and biggest talent, one of the better players in the whole of Serie A as well. "Just a few very good games" - I would say he's well into double figures for 'very good games', with the majority of the rest best 'good games'.

Although having said that, I've probably barely watched a double figure of full Milan games :D

Just wondered since you were asking, if you had found it was on UK tv so was asking me :) I didn't see it anywhere

I didn't even try to find out if it was on TV elsewhere, but since el sid was commenting here, I assume foreign TV showed (although I don't know if he used alternate methods to watch the game).

FM got carded even in this little friendly? :cool: Hope it doesn't lead to him getting suspended for the final.

Yes, as like in the game against Zimbabwe, he was a bit nervous...I think it's almost certain this guy will get suspended in the WC, he isn't mentally prepared to play a tournament like the WC...

Goals and Highlights of the game.

Really? I think he's been terrific this season, comfortably AC's best performer and biggest talent, one of the better players in the whole of Serie A as well. "Just a few very good games" - I would say he's well into double figures for 'very good games', with the majority of the rest best 'good games'.

Says a lot about AC and Serie A tbh

Guest roberto922
I didn't even try to find out if it was on TV elsewhere, but since el sid was commenting here, I assume foreign TV showed (although I don't know if he used alternate methods to watch the game).

We very rarely get any Brazilian football over here.

What do Brazilians think of Serginho? I'm watching Italy v Brazil on espn right now, from 82 iirc and he is shocking. A few of these players look awful infact.

Serginho Chulapa?

He wasn't technically good, but he was :cool: although too violent and temperamental. I wouldn't say he is popular in Brazil, but he is more or less well-known and somewhat respected.

He had a very good goal per game ratio for São Paulo and Santos, and so his place on the 1982 WC was fully deserved (and at the national team he had a decent goal record as well). I think abroad they think he looks out of place because they expect every Brazilian player to be skillful.

We very rarely get any Brazilian football over here.

The Brazilian national team is hardly Brazilian nowadays though, since most of the team play abroad. And due to the hype, I would expect foreign TV to show it. The Brazilian cable TV shows games of most/all big national teams.

Serginho Chulapa?

He wasn't technically good, but he was :cool: although too violent and temperamental. I wouldn't say he is popular in Brazil, but he is more or less well-known and somewhat respected.

He had a very good goal per game ratio for São Paulo and Santos, and his place on the 1982 WC was fully deserved. I think abroad they think he looks out of place because they expect every Brazilian player to be skillful.

Interesting, he looks completely out of place here, skill wise (his first touch is terrible) and looks, he looks more like a Heskey type player than a Ronaldo or Romario. Shockingly bad in this game. Falcao just scored a beauty :cool:

Yes, as like in the game against Zimbabwe, he was a bit nervous...I think it's almost certain this guy will get suspended in the WC, he isn't mentally prepared to play a tournament like the WC...

Goals and Highlights of the game.

Haha Gilberto Silva lecturing FM after the first goal.

The Tanzania goal, nobody looked bothered to try and win the ball apart from the goalscorer. :D

Interesting, he looks completely out of place here, skill wise (his first touch is terrible) and looks, he looks more like a Heskey type player than a Ronaldo or Romario. Shockingly bad in this game. Falcao just scored a beauty :cool:

He still scored two goals in the 1982 WC though (against New Zealand and Argentina).

A team of 11 Serginho Chulapas would be bad, but it's good in a team when you have a balance between players like him and skillful ones (as skillful ones tend to be softer),

I think Michel Bastos was actually terrible today, the fact the cross reached Robinho was pure luck and awfulness of the defender, and he looked **** on most touches.

Brazil attacked a few times from his side (more than he usually does), which didn't happen in other games (he left some space behind his back though). Obviously he was not one of the best players on the pitch (Robinho and Ramires were better, for example), but I think he would deserve a 6 to 6.5 rating.

Shame Dunga is so stubborn, today's game showed why Ramires should start in Felipe Melo's place, which is his real position, rather than his Benfica one.

And Felipe Melo is proving he is really the new Zé Carlos. :thdn:

He improved a bit today, but it would make sense to rest him against NK, it's not like he is going to be able to play 7 games in a row keeping his fitness (which is not that great to start with), so better rest him in the first game so he has more time to improve for the remaining games.

Wonder Woman, yup. And you could be... hm... I don't know who. Someone who is a hacker and also japanese looking and brazilian in soul? Is there any role model available?

Helarxe could be Wario, as he is only in for the distortions of comedic value

To keep things on topic, is Kaká the new Sávio? (No, of course not, but there's a slight resemblance in his untouchability)

I hear Robinho was very good today. I know it sounds obvious but he could be the star of the World Cup. Who would you put in your fantasy football, Robinho or Fabiano?

Interestingly, I am having the same debate (with myself). I could go with 4-3-3, but that would mean having four defenders and that sucks because they don't score as many points.

So I am going with two up-front. I want David Villa, so I am left with Luís Fabiano or Robinho. I had Luís Fabiano in my team until yesterday, because he is the proper striker whereas Robinho plays further from goal. I'm just concerned now that Robinho has taken advantage of the utterly pointless friendlies against these awful teams, whereas LF hasn't.

Interestingly, I am having the same debate (with myself). I could go with 4-3-3, but that would mean having four defenders and that sucks because they don't score as many points.

So I am going with two up-front. I want David Villa, so I am left with Luís Fabiano or Robinho. I had Luís Fabiano in my team until yesterday, because he is the proper striker whereas Robinho plays further from goal. I'm just concerned now that Robinho has taken advantage of the utterly pointless friendlies against these awful teams, whereas LF hasn't.

and correct me if im wrong but Fabiano didnt have the best of seasons club wise did he? I know Robinho was all over the place early on but hes done ok at Santos yeah?

LF had injury problems, but I think his goals per games ratio at club level was fine this season.

But at the national team, which is what really matters at the moment, he hasn't scored in any of his last 5 games (last time was against Argentina in the WC Quals), while Robinho scored 4 times in the last 3 ones.

How was Luisão in these friendlies? If i'm not mistaken he played both 2nd H.

He was nothing special, I think.

And although ideally Brazil should have played against stronger teams (even more ideally Brazil should have done like Mexico and used the whole May to play several games), these games were hardly pointless as they are still real games, and the players need them to warm up before the WC starts.

Mexico played 7 games in May, against Ecuador, Senegal, Angola, Chile, England, Holland and Gambia, plus a game against Italy in June.

So that's 8 games in about 36 days, and against several kinds of opponents.

Brazil ideally should have done the same, although Internazionale wouldn't have liked to miss their Brazilian players in the most important month of their recent history. :D

If not with all players, then with most of them at least. By May most of them weren't playing any important (that is, CL/Libertadores) games anyway.

I think it's safer if I don't ask what kind of "fantasy" you are referring to. :):D

More seriously though, I think he is a good option for that fantasy football thing, thanks to Santos he is in much better shape than most players in the squad, and is very motivated too.

Guest roberto922

Ha, How could you forget about matches at the world cup though? :p You don't have a chance to forget with all the media coverage :D

Ha, How could you forget about matches at the world cup though? :p You don't have a chance to forget with all the media coverage :D

I don't forget the matches exactly, but rather that I have to update the fantasy team on the fantasy football thing before each matchday.

Guest roberto922

Ah right, fair enough. I find though that being part of the threads on here keeps it in your mind.

I think it's safer if I don't ask what kind of "fantasy" you are referring to. :):D

:D

Because when I play this kind of game I always end up forgetting a matchday, or to sub players, etc... :(

Go to the website everyday and check your team, this way you won't miss any of the matchdays.

Kim Källström thinks it's weird Michel Bastos was called up to play as a left-back for the Brazilian national team.

He said he never saw Michel Bastos even training in that position.

If Kim Källström knew Michel Bastos' career, he would know his real position is left-back but ended up moved to a different position in Europe.

It still is a bit weird though. For example you would never see Gareth Barry being used at left back for England, even though he played his first few seasons in the Premier League there.

It's not weird at all, if it wasn't to use him as a left-back, then he wouldn't be used at all in the Brazilian national team as he wouldn't fit in.

Besides, Michel Bastos didn't forget how to play as a left-back as he played there for many and many years at youth and senior level.

Archived