The Brazil Thread

masteR+_+

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rough translation:

And my mother, more than just suffering with my father's issues, gave me the biggest lesson that what they are doing to his son is something that shouldn't be done to anybody. They mocked me when I said she is a history teacher, but she gave me a lesson: we have got to be patriotic, although many people don't like it, and we have to do our best for the country. Adversity will only help us to grow.

Before that he was talking about the health problems of his father, who has Alzheimer's.

I speak Portuguese, English and Spanish, can understand to some degree Italian and French (they are both Latin languages, and I have French background, so have had some contact with the language), and also understand some of those minor Iberian languages like Catalan and Galician (but not Basque, for obvious reasons).

Yes, it's Paulo, no silly "o" in the middle of the name. :D

A silly charge (caricatural drawing) in "pig Italian" (that is, in Portuguese, but written in an Italian-like way) about Italy's elimination: :D

chrg0625.jpg

The soap opera that made all Italians cry

Elimination

It is also a parody of Brazilian soap opera "Passione".

Awful effort tbf... :D

Dunga has confirmed that Elano is going to play in the R16, since Kaká will return too and Robinho obviously won't be rested, so it means Brazil must field the usual formation, although I don't see the point in keeping Michel Bastos and Felipe Melo.

Apparently Felipe Melo actually sprained his ankle due to Pepe's tackle, so he might not play the R16 game. :cool:

Josué would probably be his replacement in this case though. :(

So not a big improvement, but at least Josué is more reliable and doesn't get cards without any need.

EDIT: Brazil vs Chile in the next round, should be easy enough for Dunga's team.

Chile are absolutely perfect for Brazil. If you could have picked a side (that would realistically qualify, of course), it would have been them.

Portugal showed the way forward for teams playing against Brazil. Very beatable, but I don't see many left in who will actually play like that.

Chile are absolutely perfect for Brazil. If you could have picked a side (that would realistically qualify, of course), it would have been them.

Portugal showed the way forward for teams playing against Brazil. Very beatable, but I don't see many left in who will actually play like that.

I think Switzerland would have been the worst possible opponent for Brazil, worse than Spain even, as they would frustrate Brazil by playing all out defense.

I don't think Josué is going to be an improvement at all, but IIRC he scored a goal against Chile.

Josué is very average but at least he won't jeopardize Brazil's chances by getting silly cards.

And yes, he scored against them in Copa América 2007.

Chile attacking and Brazil counter-attacking, but Brazil have a very easy road to the final, Chile, then Holland (probably) then either of those four (Uruguay, South Korea, USA and Ghana).

Dunga is so lucky... :D

Holland will probably need a perfect game. No mistakes at back and and a good ball movement since they will probably try to dominate possession and you will probably try to catch them on the counter. Robben should be the key for them, and their transition defence of course.

Uruguay can make the game ugly for you. The problem is that the game won't be played at Montevideo and they could finish with 9 players.

I didn't see the video, but I had that game in mind when I made that comment about JC. IIRC, he was incredible that day that despite the result. It wasn't a 0-4 game.

Anyway, I meant that Uruguay are a team that might have problems playing their game in a WC.

I think it's just a game, so he should return for the next game. Elano, who ended up rested today, and Robinho, should be back too.

On the other hand, Felipe Melo is doubtful.

Yes, it's a shame Portugal got very tough games, especially this game against Spain. :(

Now it's between Josué or less likely Ramires or Kléberson to decide who will replace Felipe Melo against Chile. I hope Dunga chooses Kléberson, but Ramires is the best option.

Dunga of course will choose Josué though.

There are Uruguay and Holland in Brazil's side of the playoffs tree, but Brazil have no reason to be afraid of them. It's a bit ridiculous how lucky Dunga is, even though he is a very average manager with a very average squad he might still win this.

But I think it will be better for Brazil in 2014 if Brazil don't win in 2010, or Brazil will end up keeping the likes of Michel Bastos and Felipe Melo, and also some of the old players of the current squad for four more years...

A lot of controversy about this:

frame_juliocesar02_30.jpg

Metal was used in it, which is not allowed by FIFA, but for some reason was allowed in this (probably because it's Brazil).

But I don't think that thing is really any big deal, the media is just overreacting about it.

Brazil were very lucky to be on this side of the draw indeed. Holland might be a little troublesome and Uruguay are probably going to reach the semis. Sometimes being drawn on the tough side gives you more confidence when you are into the final though. Then you have obviously proven yourself to be a class team. Tough games still forces squads to stretch injured/tired players and pick up suspensions though

Brazil are in the hard side of the draw, but with big nations underperforming it has made that redundant a bit.

Also, they play their semi against the crap sides from the weaker half of the draw, which has given it the appearance that it is easy, whereas Spain will end up with Argentina/Germany/England.

Brazil are in the hard side of the draw, but with big nations underperforming it has made that redundant a bit.

Also, they play their semi against the crap sides from the weaker half of the draw, which has given it the appearance that it is easy, whereas Spain will end up with Argentina/Germany/England.

Compared to what some teams on the other side have to face, Brazil's side is easy (on paper): Chile, then Holland then Uruguay or Ghana. Even if some big teams struggled, we can't assume the others will do so because of that.

Argentina, for example, play against Mexico (more difficult than Chile), then Germany or England, and then probably Spain. So that's two top opponents while Brazil play against none, or only one if you include the Dutch here.

OgAAAFDouT4_kJx0fTKKrWfpN9108HC7AC_tIRTTPGvrS_ZWCxKbn5ZgM8FnDqKh5QrG1feBMhnJhjPsRbxRJqfUl48Am1T1UCsBD1JcBcDXahnjCjik1dy2TwDs.jpg

What's their reasoning?

I hope they don't think Brazil should play like Santos...

I don't blame them then tbh, especially regarding CBF, when it comes to Dunga it's a bit silly to have some natural hatred towards him even if it's very reasonable to don't like some things he does.

CBF is a very detestable organization, as we all know. :(

I don't know why they have to go as far as supporting Argentina though. :D

I guess they are probably doing so to look more aggressive, and to make a point, since Argentina is Brazil's arch-rival.

Compared to what some teams on the other side have to face, Brazil's side is easy (on paper): Chile, then Holland then Uruguay or Ghana. Even if some big teams struggled, we can't assume the others will do so because of that.

Argentina, for example, play against Mexico (more difficult than Chile), then Germany or England, and then probably Spain. So that's two top opponents while Brazil play against none, or only one if you include the Dutch here.

It mayn't be the Holland of old but they can pull out the rug anytime

I'm still mad about 94 and 98, those slippery Brazilians :mad:

A lot of controversy about this:

frame_juliocesar02_30.jpg

Metal was used in it, which is not allowed by FIFA, but for some reason was allowed in this (probably because it's Brazil).

But I don't think that thing is really any big deal, the media is just overreacting about it.

Yeah i saw that too... And i do think it is very dangerous for Julio Cesar to play with that thing. If he lands on his back with that he may do some serious damage to his back.

That's because France are an awful side at the moment, and England finished second, otherwise you'd have a potential semi-final against one of them.

It's worked out harder for the other teams because the big nations who they could encounter on their path finished where you expect them to finish (I.E. Germany and Argentina top of their group, Portugal finished second). England finishing second has thrown a spanner in the works a bit, but either way Argentina would have had Germany in the QF anyway.

If everyone finished where people expected, Brazil would have: Chile, Holland, England

That's not easy. But France disappearing, and England finishing second has made it much easier.

If all of that had happened, or Brazil had to play against Spain in the R16, then yes, it would have been hard, although even before the WC started Brazil's road to the semis looked easy, the odd results certainly made it look even easier.

But I thought you meant something else, I am sure anyway that Dunga is very happy with these opponents, even though Brazil tend to do better against better teams.

OFF - Não sou obrigado a torcer pelo Brasil!! Queria dizer algumas coisas:

Eu torço pra quem quiser, não sou obrigado a torcer pelo Brasil.

Eu gosto de futebol, porque torço para o PALMEIRAS, e mais ninguém.

Não foi a seleção brasileira que me fez gostar de torcer de futebol, mas sim o nosso VERDÃO!

Então dane-se a seleção. Na Copa eu quero ver FUTEBOL BONITO, FUTEBOL ARTE, eu quero ver CRAQUES jogando, tipo Ronaldinho Gaúcho. Quero ver a seleção dar SHOW e VENCER. Prefiro uma seleção como a brasileira em 82, ou como a Holanda em 74 e 78, do que uma seleção como a Itália de 06, campeã mas jogando feio.

Muitos dizem que não dá pra vencer dando show. A maioria fala: "vc prefere vencer ou ser a seleção de 82, que jogava bonito mas não vencia?"

Isso é uma falácia, porque podemos jogar que nem 58, 62 e 70, vencemos e demos show. Dá pra fazer os 2, jogar com craques, e vencer.

O Brasil é futebol Arte, o Brasil criou o futebol Arte, criou os craques, re-inventou o futebol diversas vezes.

Portanto sim, eu torço pra futebol Arte na Copa, ainda mais nos tempos de hoje que só o futebol feio quase vence.

Pra concluir: torço pra quem eu quiser, é ridículo ser obrigado a torcer pelo Brasil, ainda mais quando sabemos que há muitos jogadores habilidosos e craques que não foram convocados e tinham total chance de estar nessa Copa.

Many Palmeiras fans posting this kind of garbage in Orkut. :(

What an idiot, he is right he is not forced to support Brazil, but I don't why worrying so much about the style, especially a style that has brought no success to Brazil after Pelé retired from the national team.

And I don't know why people think that if Gaúcho played, there would be "futebol arte", some tricks here and there that make little difference in practice isn't beautiful football, we would need several players like him to have something like that.

Think I might support Brazil now that England and Australia are out.

I really like the way Dunga has created a team rather than a bunch of individuals and is only interested in winning and not in playing beautiful football. I love the way how Dunga's style of football really annoys some people (Barca and Arsenal fans mostly) who seem to think football has to be played a certain way. Sure Dunga hasn't selected the best 23 players for the squad and has made some odd decisions but he's installed discipline to your team and has picked players who can do the job he wants them to do and has basically slowly crafted a team over his tenure as boss.

Yes, regarding all of that he had done a very good job, much better than expected. And annoying those who think Brazil = jogo bonito is always a bonus too.

Brazil still need a plan B for those games where the opponent play all out defense, but from now on there won't be weak opponents anymore, so probably there isn't much to worry about this.

Some players like LF, Kaká and Felipe Melo also need to calm down, and Michel Bastos need to leave the first team or improve a lot. But all in all there are many reasons to think Brazil can win the WC, especially considering before the final Brazil are avoiding other really big teams like Argentina, Germany and Spain.

By the way, Luiz Rosan (Brazil's physio) thinks Elano and Felipe Melo will be able to play the next game, so that's good (Elano) and bad (FM) news.

Elano's father has said that his son is not well at all at the moment, and is very pessimistic about Elano's presence in the next game. :(

It's a shame as the first reports after the game where he got injured were pretty optimistic but he doesn't seem to be recovering...

Elano's father has said that his son is not well at all at the moment, and is very pessimistic about Elano's presence in the next game. :(

It's a shame as the first reports after the game where he got injured were pretty optimistic but he doesn't seem to be recovering...

EDIT: The link was wrong!

Archived