4-1-4-1...v2...great back and front

This must be the best tactic I've seen for FM08. This defense is so solid that even when I play relegation candidates I'm at least 3rd-4th from the top on goals conceded. I noticed that by the third season though the AI seems to crack this tactic so I adjusted the attack slider and the width to make it work better and it has been a blast for me.

However, what I have not managed to find out yet is how exactly do I make this tactic work in bad weather conditions? When the pitch is clearly bad this tactic seems to fail pretty badly and ticking the passing to mixed has really not worked for me. I would appreciate an answer/opinion. Thanks

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by grasu:

However, what I have not managed to find out yet is how exactly do I make this tactic work in bad weather conditions? When the pitch is clearly bad this tactic seems to fail pretty badly and ticking the passing to mixed has really not worked for me. I would appreciate an answer/opinion. Thanks

Mabye this is the problem I m having with away games. I am managing in Scotland with Rangers and can easily win all my games at home but stuggle away, could this be due to the poorer pitches at the other grounds? As I am about 10 seasons in loads of lower division sides are playing in the SPL, so could this be the problem?

Hi everyone!!

I like so much this tactic. I´ve been using it with different teams and with different tipe of players. The big problem i find is the low averages of some players (specially the DM and the MC). I´ll try to find a solution making many tweaked versions but i don´t have any succes. Last night i discover in this forum the "433 Liverpool Way" tactic version 2 8.02 made by Assen. The draw of this tactic is very similar to this one. Even though i don´t have very good results using it i find that the individual instructions that assen gives to his DM, MC, Full Backs and Right Midfielder were really interesting so i decided to apply them to my favourite tactic: the 4-1-4-1 v2. I don´t play so much since i make those changes but i find that the DM and the MC start to play as they are supposed to do it. (Full backs and midfielder right also improve their averages). As you can see i also modified a little bit the draw (I put an arrow to the left full back and i move up the right midfielder, as Assen makes in his tactic). Try it and make suggestions.

http://files.filefront.com/4+1+4+1v2Galacticatac/;

Originally posted by jlugovid:

Hi everyone!!

I like so much this tactic. I´ve been using it with different teams and with different tipe of players. The big problem i find is the low averages of some players (specially the DM and the MC). I´ll try to find a solution making many tweaked versions but i don´t have any succes. Last night i discover in this forum the "433 Liverpool Way" tactic version 2 8.02 made by Assen. The draw of this tactic is very similar to this one. Even though i don´t have very good results using it i find that the individual instructions that assen gives to his DM, MC, Full Backs and Right Midfielder were really interesting so i decided to apply them to my favourite tactic: the 4-1-4-1 v2. I don´t play so much since i make those changes but i find that the DM and the MC start to play as they are supposed to do it. (Full backs and midfielder right also improve their averages). As you can see i also modified a little bit the draw (I put an arrow to the left full back and i move up the right midfielder, as Assen makes in his tactic). Try it and make suggestions.

http://files.filefront.com/4+1+4+1v2Galacticatac/;

This tactic work pretty for me, with OI's

- wingers - tackling hard, weaker foot

- strikers - tackling hard, pressing always

I prefer short ground, because that encloses counter attack with long ball.

In the other hand, in this tactic our wingers don't crossing from the line, so short pitch doen't make any problem for our attack style.

Using this with Everton in my first season finished 3rd and won the Uefa Cup beating Real Madrid 1-0 in the final, however finding teams alot more difficult to break down in the 2nd season, have tried tweaking mentality, pushing up denfensive line, fwd runs often on full backs, but still have trouble breaking teams down and end up drawing alot vs bottom half sides, any tips please ??

I started working on a 4-1-4-1 formation and at the end of the test, I decided on a similar formation to this

I downloaded and started editing it

1 SC with rarely forward runs is a must

One of the wingers should run to the center, therefore the full back and center defender marks him and there is space for the lone SC

One of the wingers should be a MR which makes 3 Midfielders in defense

When there are 2 MC's only wingers of the opponents will beat you again and again

One of the MC's should go forward and create chances

DMC must have a farrow to DC and create a very solid back line

If he stays in front of the 4, he doesn't tackle or gain possession, but making him the fifth defender closes any potential gaps in defense

I edited tactic and came up with this, having a very successful season with Athletic Bilbao, scoring 1.9 pg and conceding 0.6 pg

http://www.box.net/shared/m2vzf7ew44

I've had success with this tactics in 3 years now. Set up a home and an away version as described in this post.

With Ebbsfleet I have won BSP, got second place in L2, and currently fighting for a play-off place in L1 in my third season. Excellent tactic! Also beaten some PL and Championship opponent in the cups.

Mixed fortunes with it....

The good

Got my Millwall side promoted out of League 1 in the first season - won the league.

Also gone great guns in the second season and am now lying third in the Championship. And this with a pitiful transfer budget, too. Team is almost all 30-35 year olds that I've picked up on frees.

However,

The bad

I've found the "away" version as posted by Jinli next to useless for the situation it was designed for - tough away games. Let's the opposition come at you far too much and I inevitably end up conceding without the ability to break down the other side's defence.

Had more succes using www2's standard set up for away games and the "home" version when chasing the game or trying to dominate at home.

That said, there's....

The indifferent

Maybe it's the fact that the side is out of their depth - with '08 I've deliberately avoided the way I've played in the past so I've got no quality/star players that I've picked up by sneaking a peak at the good player forums....but I've really struggled to win/score come the second season Xmas period.

Team talks are sorted and moral is good - but the slow build up seems to allow the opposition defence to get men behind the ball nearly every time. I think the "cross from byline" wingers' instructions (and the quality of my wingers - Savio and Peev) mean that if they do get a cross in it almost always gets blocked and goes out for a corner. Quality wingers who can beat the oppo full backs might be the answer.

I'll be honest - I've only done as well as I have 'cos of a few reloads and even with that the best I can seem to manage is a draw.

So I've turned to the Uslayer version above in the hope of turning things around. Mixed results - it certainly is much better at creating opportunities and breaking the other side down. But the same problem against stronger opponents away - they will[/] win whatever the team talk.

Won Division 1 with Partick Thistle in my first season using this tactic with a squad which is by no means the best in the Division.

Also managed to beat Hearts and Hibs in the cups.

Undefeated in World Cup Qualifiers with my new Nigeria team and looking forward to trying it in the SPL with my poor squad.

The shape of this formation is absolutely fantastic, really does get the best out of your players.

I made some changes to the individual instructions and of course tweak things like tempo, width and DLine from game to game. Have had excellent results so far, in Serie A and La Liga.

Two thumps up icon14.gif

I've used jlugovid version. But now in OI I've only set wekaker foot for wingers.

I've made anoter change, D-line moved two notches back.

When opp. changes tax for 4-2-4 , I always set in OI thigt marking and hard tackling for left and rigt forwards.

Hey www2 and fellow FM addicts.

This tactic is great, i mean it's not perfect, but there is no such thing as a perfect tactic in FM anymore.

I find that i can with my Sunderland team (although it's a pretty awesome team, probably capable of a top 8-4 finish if i left it up to the AI) out play anyone initially with this tactic, dominating the opposition early on, the first half i rarely go in losing.

The problem arises roughly around 70 minute mark, when the opposition will start to push for a win (note i could be 3-0 uphere and only 20 mins left, but due to the new engine the AI is more than capable of getting 4 goals).

To counter this i've revereted to my own tactics, such as 4-1-4-1, or 5-3-2. This is OK, they worked great in 8.0.1, defensive tactics have always been easy to make, but in 8.0.2 after aquiring many gray hairs (im 23!!) and combining my head and the east wall of my house to produce a sort of thudding melody i'm at a point where i'm thinking this game is beyond me.

The first thing i tried was reducing the full backs going forward, in the hope that the AI couldn't get their wingers in behind me, but this i found meant that my midfield would oten lose possesion easier (lack of support from the FB's id imagine).

Switching to one of my drastic defensive formations doesnt work either, as i find in 8.0.2 the engine prefers subtle changes to your current tactic as opposed to parking a bus infront of your goal to counter the inevitable fight back the AI produces in the last 20 minutes of the game.

The away tweak isn't up to scratch for dealing with this onslought, and i'm begining to fear that nothing is! Any ideas of what i could do in order to protect a lead?

If games finished on the 70th minute i'd of won my last 32 (rough estimate, looks cool though!) games with your tactic. I now know the heartache fulham fans endure icon_frown.gif.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to give this tactic ago because Im also the type that prefers 1-0 and 2-1 wins instead of 3-2 and 4-3. I played one season with CSKA Sofia using this and allthough I only came second behind Levski, I won 21 games (in 30 matches) and conceded under 20 goals. Now playing with Pompey Ive had some problems. Allready in the friendly I saw some problem where I conceded 3 goals against both Hibs and Luzern from Switzerland. In my competive matches so far;

3-1 Birmingham (a): Were behind 1-0 at halftime but came back. Go result

1-4 Liverpool (a): Played defensive but was behind 4-0 after 29 minutes. In all I had 20 shots against 10 and I also had 56%

1-1 Newcastle (h): They had 3 shots off target. Own goal by Campbell. What more to say?

2-0 Stockport (h): Played with reserves, decent result

2-0 Derby (a): Derby was allright but I won. Again decent

1-2 Arsenal (h): In shots I was a bit better but they just scored to easy

2-2 Reading (h): They had 3 shots on target, scoring 2. Very poor

0-0 Man Utd (h): They were a bit stronger but in all a fair result

0-1 Birmingham (a): This time in Carling Cup. It could go either way and it didnt go my way

1-1 Fulham (a): Allways tough playing away from home but I should have won. McBride eaqulised in 87.

1-0 Boro (a): My team was fantastic but I should closed the match earlier

So far It has a bit up and down. I think I conceded to easy, any defensive tips there?

An update; In january I bought Farfan and Arshavin and finished 7th. Was knockout early in both cups

In the new season Ive bought Aubey, Samba, Yakubu (not the one from Everton), D'Alessandro. Besides that Ive got Intandje and Bendtner on loan. So far;

http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tablepv7.jpg

Its going really well as you can I see. Played 0-0 against Chelsea, should have won. Beat Arsenal 3-1 and then I lost against Man Utd where Tevez scored in 92. All matches away

I have only been playing with this tactic for a pre-season tour to asia and 2 league games (in premiership with bournemouth) i have found that this is the only tactic which really responds well to slight ingame tweaks.

For my pre-season tour i left the tweaking alone, and i came away with unconvincing 3-1,2-0,2-1 wins.

come the league season i started off against sunderland, they went 2-0 up quite quickley, and i shifted around with a couple of the team instructions and won 5-3.

Second match against Aston Villa i started off with giving my team more attacking mentallity and slower tempo, and a higher back line (maybe a couple more tweaks but i can't remember off the top of my head) i won that a convincing 5-1.

It should be noted that i did play around with the team instructions a fair bit during the match, and i found this had such a huge effect on my teams performance, more than changing them in any other tactic ever has.

Bring on the rest of the season!!

p.s. Bojan signed him on a free transfer at the end of his contract and is now 2 games 5 goals!! what a signing

there is no away tactic, just tweak the teams mentality and other instructions to make a slightly more if you look on page 2 Jinli has shown how they have tweaked their tactic for away matches.

Just a word of warning though. Dont have your DMC barrow to a CD position, and your MLC barrow to your DMC position, and your AML barrow to a ML position. it completely muckes up the system of play in this tactic, and you will not get any decent posetion.

I've been using this tactic for just under a season now, it's top class, I rarely concede any goals at all and I'll score easily 2-3 a game no problem.

Really well done to the creator.

Only thing I've changed on it is getting to wide midfielders to swap positions,

I like how you've set up the DMC also, pretty much a 5th defender whilst defending.

Team used with it...

GK - Lloris

DL - Armand traore

DR - Francois clerc

DC - Samba

DC - Squillaci

DM - Flamini

MR - Jeremy Menez

ML - Hatem ben Arfa

MC(Farrow) - Bodmer

MC - Toulalan

ST - Benzema

Won 6 trophies last year with this tactic so well done!

Guest RonnieStokie

Great tatics, thanks to the creator.

Im managing Stoke in the 2010/2011 season in the Premier League. The season before i finished 16th and the season before that 17th.

I'm currently 7th and it's mid December. Hopefully i might qualify for Uefa Cup!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by GlassJAw82:

Tested for one season with Man Utd.

League: 1st with 91pts and was strong at the back, though Chelsea and Arsenal caused problems.

CL: Runner up. beaten in the final, after outplaying them, by Arsenal, for the 3rd time in the season. they did the double on me in the league and still finished 4 point behind!

I like this tactic. Dont like Man Utd, especially after they turned over the Villa, but i will see if i cant repeat this in the second season.

Good tactic, balanced and nice to watch the left winger / second striker drifting into the penalty area.

Good work!!

Hey GlassJAw82 were did you play cristiano ronaldo ?

• 4 weeks later...

Right so after starting a new game with Sunderland, I went out to create my new tactic. After a stumble start, I was lying 20th with 10 games gone. I couldn't really be bothered trying to work my tactic out so gave this one a go. It worked, I managed to finish the season 11th, but was knocked out the League Cup by Preston, and then KO'd out of the FA Cup by West Brom.

Second season now, I've got a stronger squad with much stronger players, so I'll give it another go and let you know how it fairs.

x

Sorry guys for not responding for a long time, was out of FM world.

Just gonna bump it so that someone new can download it. I am currently on 50+ unbeaten match run and still kicking arse.

Originally posted by www2:

Just gonna bump it so that someone new can download it. I am currently on 50+ unbeaten match run and still kicking arse.

just gave this a go tonight with at.madrid 10 games 1 defeat. beat real twice 2-0 so very happy with it so far. gonna try it with man city tommorrow 3rd season won league last year,only problem is im overloaded with midfielders!!!!

Originally posted by glynnbob:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by www2:

just gave this a go tonight with at.madrid 10 games 1 defeat. beat real twice 2-0 so very happy with it so far. gonna try it with man city tommorrow 3rd season won league last year,only problem is im overloaded with midfielders!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice, glad its working.....I too used to have problems with to many midfielders and strikers but learned how to control myself icon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to pay homage to this tactic. Since FM08 i've tried a few tactics, even Kimz's tactic, which I never seem to have any success with.

Also to prove that this tactic has longevity. I've recently took Venezia from Serie C1A to Serie A in consecutive promotions, then got the FC Bayern job with whom I won 2 League Cups, the Bundesliga title and got to the Euro Cup final, then took over Man United who were 19th half way through the season, I got them to 6th and into Europe with Rooney literally doing it all on his own. Started a new game and won the Swiss Challenge League with FC Vaduz... a team of Liechensteiner part-timers! This is "some" tactic!

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
Just here to say that I managed to win the premier league with BLYTH SPARTANS (that's right) and I started with them in the conference north!! All I used was this tactic!! I can produce a screenie if anyone is interested. This tactic RULES!

Yeh bang some screenies up mate :)

Im going to test this in a new game using Juventus..

First off, i like the looks of it... Hate the "new" tactics with farrows and barrows all over the freaking pitch.. Its just not realistic :)

Then looking at the each player instructions, and i really enjoy looking at each "section" of the pitch is linked to each others.. ( Mentality in the different sections - CB, DL/DR, DM, MC - seems linked etc )

Oh well, will report back..

I started using this tactic on my Dag & Red game and played 6 games scoring 15 goals and lettin in 2. I made little tweaks def line down 3 notches, time wasting up 1 notch, tempo down 2 notches and counter attack ticked.

brilliant tactic.

I have not tried the tactic yet but I thought that a mirrored version might come in handy as there are easier to find great AMR/SC than AML/SC so here it is:

http://www.eatlime.com/download.lc?sid=11886C27-827D-D3F9-C62E-4AC551C71813

I simpy copied the player instructions so the DCR/DCL changed instruktions, same goes with the MCR/MCL and of course the AML is now AMR and the other way around.

Can you re-upload the mirrored version please? The link has expired. Also, how did you get on with the mirrored version compared to the original? Notice any bizarre differences? Cheers.

Archived