dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Hendon - League One - 2013/2014 Season Preview

Summer Changes

Well yet again for the 3rd consecutive season my board have decided to increase the stadium capacity, this time by a further 814 (not sure what this will take it to). I will play my games this time not at Griffin park but at Loftus road instead with its 19814 capacity so that should ensure that I get some decent returns financially on attendances.

I've kept my backroom staff exactly the same as last season with Teddy Sheringham continuing as my assistant manager but I added 2 new scouts as my 2 English scouts I had for 2 seasons were getting a bit stale returning the same players all the time. I opted to bring in 2 Dutch scouts with a broad knowledge of South America in hope they may know of 1 or 2 decent players I can trial with a view of a transfer.

Transfers

I really have made alot of changes this summer & started the summer by selling some players I didnt believe were good enough for me, this included club favourites Kyle Wilson, Charles Ademeno & Alexander Smith as well as a few youngsters who were moved on with sell on fee's in there contracts just incase they do make it somewhere else. I recieved a total of £375k cash straight up with nearly every transfer having at least 20% sell on fee so think they were good moves. I also turned down bids of £375k for my Norwegian central midfielder Kristian Vangen who was attracting interest from a few League 1 sides & newly promoted Championship side Leyton Orient but I feel I need to be keeping these right now to try & give myself a chance of a challenge for the play offs.

Along with Kristian Vangen getting some interest my youth right back Neil Reid who I signed after he was releaed my Man Utd has progressed really well during the summer to earn himself the chance to shine in the first team. He was also the subject of various offers from Championship sides & League 1 sides so expect him to progress quite alot during this year now he's being given the chance to start games.

Coming into the club were 3 players on season loans, Dean Parrett again comes from parent club Tottenham for a 2nd season after impressing last year & I expect him to shine this year. Joining him are Liverpool youngster Sean Highdale & Southampton acadaemy product Ryan Marsh. I expect both Parrett & Highdale to feature as first team starters & I will use Marsh as backup to another youngster who I feel has progressed this summer, Dutchman Michael Beltman at left back.

After my 2 new scouts joined the club I had a few foreigners pop up available for me to offer trials to, I offered quite a few about but only decided to take 1 player on in Argentinian youngster Sergio Arias who will offer competition for the right back position. Joining him on permanent transfers were Richard Offlong (Leicester), Jonathan North (Hibernian, Aridane (Liverpool) & Paris Simmons (Free transfer), all of these players were signed for nothing as there contracts ran out this summer.

This leaves me with a very young side that is full of potential but I feel is setup well enough to hopefully improve into a decent side by the end of this season with a view of a challenge next year. I can't wait to see how my youngsters progress now they've matured enough to be given some games.

Hendon Club Info

Manager Profile

Hendon Club Finances

Transfers Made During Summer

Hendon Squad For Start Of Season

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Gricehead:

Life at the New Manor Ground - Continued

2008/09 in the Blue Square North, January and February update

Another poor couple of months, dropping from 7th to 10th and more or less waving goodbye to the playoffs. Even a change of tactics to a more defensive 5-3-2, and the signing of two new strikers hasn't really helped. The board have shut up about Lee Dodgson, and are now whinging on about one of the players our parent club sent to us on loan. Surely that's not right.

January

New Year, new beginning? No, more of the same, as fellow promotees Kings Lynn beat us 4-2 at our place. Matt Somner was dismissed towards the end of the game, causing more midfield selection difficulties. Loanees Ross Davidson from Port Vale and Magnus Fagerli-Spanthus from Sheff Weds came in for the visit to Nuneaton, but were helpless as they overran us 4-0. Desparate measures saw us blow our wage budget by £400 to bring in Juan Ugarte and Poul Hübertz. The two combined excellently, scoring three, to give us our first win of the year against Redditch, but the match was marred yet again by injuries and sendings off. Centre Back Joe Storer, another gift from Mansfield, was the dismissed party, whilst shockingly, Danny Holmes - only two minutes after resuming his season from the bench, hobbled off with a knee injury. This turned out to be ligament damage, and we would miss our star midfielder for another two months.

We scored three again at Farsley Celtic. Sadly, they scored 6. The media now had a new public enemy number one, in our keeper Chris Wright. It wasn't the first time, and it wouldn't be the last time either, that I would find myself trying to defend him to eager journalists. We won (again!), scoring three (again!) before the month was out, against struggling Burscough, but we finished with a disappointing visit to high-flying Witton. They scored 3. We scored zip.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">03/01/09 vs Kings Lynn 2-4 (G: Owen Story, Tom Clarke. SO: Matt Somner) Att: 638

10/01/09 at Nuneaton 0-4

17/01/09 vs Redditch 3-1 (G: Juan Ugarte (2), Poul Hübertz. SO: Joe Storer) Att: 421

24/01/09 at Farsley 3-6 (G: Poul Hübertz (2), Tom Clarke. SO Ross Davidson)

27/01/09 vs Burscough 3-2 (G: Simon Marpley, Juan Ugarte, Poul Hübertz) Att: 551

31/01/09 at Witton 0-3</pre>

February

New month, new tactic? Yes. The 5-3-2 was rolled out, and initial results were promising, although it took a couple of late goals from top scorer Clarke to beat Hucknall. No such look as we visited relatively inferior Worcester and lost. In a last gasp effort to plug the breach, we brough in goalie Barry Breen from Aldershot. He was thrown straight into the first team, and kept a clean sheet as we beat a strong Workington side. A new glimpse of optimism was quickly extinguished by Tamworth at the end of the month. It was a game we should have won, but we were beaten convincingly. Now goals seemed to be the problem again.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">07/02/09 vs Hucknall 2-1 (G: Tom Clarke (2)) Att: 581

14/02/09 at Worcester 1-3 (G: Lee Hoolickin)

21/02/09 vs Workington 1-0 (G: Poul Hübertz) Att: 577

28/02/09 vs Tamworth 1-3 (G: Tom Clarke) Att: 627</pre>

10th P33 W12 D9 L12 GD-10 Pts45

Nine games to go, and we're 11 points off the playoffs, so that's pretty much out of the question. Kettering (82) lead by eleven from Hinckley (71), then it's 8 back to Harrogate (63), followed by Nuneaton (58) and Workington (56).

Poul Hübertz rockets to the top of the best player pile, and it's a mark of our poor form that Danny Holmes is the only other player with a average rating higher than 7. Our finances remain good, a profit of £89k over the season despite a small monthly loss at the moment due to a combination of increased wage budget, decreased attendances and zero cup income.

Coming up: The end of the season, and the end of the link with Mansfield Town icon_mad.gif

Nice review - who are you?

Originally posted by migwar:

i'm not saying its a bug or anything, but jeez, stafford rangers are either really bad or really unlucky. here's their results so far:

staffs fixture list

in case you cant be bothered to click they've scored 1 and conceeded 52 in the first 13 games of the season...

It might be a bug.. Jimbokav has made a thread in the bug forum with too many goals beeing scored, you might wanna upload the pkms of those high scoring games to SI

s ftp

Originally posted by kccircle:

Just finished pre season with Chelmsford having gone up from Blue Square North.

Finding it hard to get better players having taken around 200 in on trial.

Is this a common trait?

Yea i dont think there is to many good english players for the lower divisions.. Do you have knowledge outside of england ?

Well looks like my Marine game could be over, my game keeps on crashing when I request a coach report icon_frown.gif (Though it is happening in new games aswell so hopefully my save game is fine)

And now to throw myself back into the overscoring debate/arguement - whilst I haven't actually seen any 12-0 scores (more 4-3, 6-5, 5-4 etc... where both teams are freely scoring) or long range goals, I have noticed instances where it seems as though the Keepers make no effort to dive for the ball, though I have managed to sign two better Keepers who occasionaly make attempts to dive - So I'm not sure if it's a bug or if something has changed to affect the Keepers more in FM2008 (Haven't come across a 'Superkeeper' yet icon_smile.gif) players are exposing the Keepers weakness, weather, morale etc is playing a bigger part or the better teams in the Conference North having good strikers against poor defenders. (Was going to look into it in my game, but now have to see why Coach reports aren't working).

Lets hope a reinstall fixes my coach reports...

Fleetwood Town - Blue Square North - 2008/09

One of the most extraordinary seasons I have ever been involved in. Let me tell you now, Fleetwood Town are coming to the Blue Square Premier, yeah you better believe it baby.

We started off averagely basically. We were awesome going forward but terrible at the back. Too many OAPs littered our defence so action was taken and the free transfer market was raided to bring in the kids and stick one up Alan Hansen and his philosophies.

With a far meaner defence we started to play, play proper that is. I don’t use this term loosely, but we ARE the Arsenal of north. Never have I had a team play such good football. Not just scoring goals but I mean actual breath taking moves, it was soooo easy on the eye. Burscough won't forget us soon...

By about November we were in no man lands before the defence was sured up, fifteen points from the playoffs and similarly to the relegation zone. However we then went on a twelve game winning streak that extended to a seventeen game unbeaten run to see us into the playoffs.

Somehow over the concluding months to the season we fought tooth and nail to climb our way up to top spot, only to have it taken away from us on three or four occasions before we managed to nick it back with three games to play.

Our final two games saw us travel to Hinckley who was in the playoffs, followed by Workington who were already down at home. Basically a win at Hinckley would mean promotion as I didn’t see us blowing our one point gap over Histon in second in the final game against Workington.

We played like true champions at Hinckley and triumphed 2-0. The title was ours bar no **** ups on party day at home to Workington and we didn’t falter, a 3-0 win saw us Champions by a single point and Histon were left to face the agony of the playoffs. In the end they lost out in the final to Farsley Celtic who would be joining us in the Blue Square Premier next season.

Final Table

League Graph

Our parent club was Preston North End of the Championship and they loaned us holding midfielder Kieran McKenna and a young lad called Stephen Hindmarch who sits behind the strikers. The latter scored something like 35 goals in 40 games, with countless assists and MOMs.

Our pick of the strikers was Zavon Hines, picked up free on his release from West Ham. He’s got an absolute beauty of a free kick on him.

Finally special mention to centre half Matthew Lowton. Outstanding at the back but possesses a secret weapon in the fact he can take a terrific corner. In fact he managed eighteen assists this season so good were his corners. Not bad eh?

So we’re off to the Blue Square Premier where I have to say I’m not altogether confident of survival. Here’s hoping though.

Sorry for double post, quick question.

Is anyone else managing their under eighteen squad? I've brought in some 15 and 16 year olds and as this is a long term challenege I decdided to manage the U18s too so I can see which players are developing and which aren't.

Originally posted by michaeltmurrayuk:

Well looks like my Marine game could be over, my game keeps on crashing when I request a coach report icon_frown.gif (Though it is happening in new games aswell so hopefully my save game is fine)

Lets hope a reinstall fixes my coach reports...

And I'm back reinstalling the game seems to have done the trick and luckily I've lost no previously played matches icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by virtex:

Sorry for double post, quick question.

Is anyone else managing their under eighteen squad? I've brought in some 15 and 16 year olds and as this is a long term challenege I decdided to manage the U18s too so I can see which players are developing and which aren't.

My youth facilities are the same as the start so pretty awfull therefore any youth I get through my academy are pretty awfull. I have however been scouting around UK & Ireland for 3 seasons buying some 16-18 year olds in hope they might progress & I'm starting to see a bit of a return on tese with a few in my first team squad this season (2013/2014 league 1)

On a personal note I've had a decent start this season, sitting 8th after 4 games with a good 2-1 win against Leicester who were top before this game & also a heavy win against Carlisle who also got relegated from the championship 3-0.

My morale is starting to move back up & my performances are much better, the youngsters havent emabrassed themselves yet so I am excited about how they progress.

Regens I've Promoted To 1st Team Squad

Neil Reid This is a youngster who was released by Man Utd in 2011 after being with them from 2008. I signed him & he had a season in my reserves before being given a chance this season. I've had bids upto £275k for him from championship/league 1 sides.

Kristian Vangen Vangen is Norwegian central midfielder who was releaed by Fredrikstad in 2010 after being with them from 2008. I signed him after bringing in no fewer then 27 Scandanavian trialists & he has played bit parts for me since. He is very highly rated & definately attracting the most attention with various clubs bidding upto £350k for him.

Salvatore Palumbo This Italian centre back was released by Pro Patria after only 1 season with them in 2010. He's played bit parts throughout my last 2 seasons in league 1 & his stats have increased quite alot this summer.

Michael Beltman This Dutch left back was released by Ajax in 2012 after 1 season with them, he's been with me for 1 season playing for my reserves & increased the most out of my players this summer to earn a first team call up.

Sergio Arias Sergio is the first player I've signed since my newly appointed Dutch scouts with South American knowledge joined this summer. He was bought here on trial for 2 weeks in the summer & I felt he had enough about him to be given a chance in a £30k move from Velez in Argentina.

Originally posted by Spurs1979:

Sergio Arias Sergio is the first player I've signed since my newly appointed Dutch scouts with South American knowledge joined this summer. He was bought here on trial for 2 weeks in the summer & I felt he had enough about him to be given a chance in a £30k move from Velez in Argentina.

Didnt he require a work permit ?

Originally posted by kaNovi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spurs1979:

Didnt he require a work permit ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spanish as a 2nd country icon_cool.gif

You're in league 1 now arent you? I found this a massive step up from league & my first 2 seasons here struggled to do anything but avoid relegation. Started well in my 3rd season though, hopefully I can try for top half but I await my usual bad luck & awfull run of form I've tended to get both seasons before this

Yes i am. so i have been reading your post with interest =)

Im 34 games in and mostly i have played really well, but lately my form has dipped tottaly and have now not won in 7 games ! i have been really unlucky, getting cards, losing a win in overtime several times.. but i guess thats what i get for having such a young squad (22 average)

Im 18th (having been all up at no 7 at one time) i have 6 points down to the relegation zone, so hopefully my form will change icon_frown.gif

im filling out my stadium with capacity of 4000, but the board are unwilling to make it bigger, and thats hard on the finances and i seem to be losing quite some money.

Hopefully they would change their mind next season if im still in the league 1.

my balance is 1.5 mio euro

Been a fantastic start to my devut season in the BSP. Andy Caton has continued from last season banging in 9 goals in just 7 matches so far (4 of his appearances have come from the bench) and i sold my star central midfielder Andy Fleming for 200K as it was just an offer that was to good to turn down. It hasn't affected us as we are currently sitting 3rd and unbeaten

I think Morale makes such a big difference perhaps, I started off really badly & my morale has been low ever since making it really hard to get a proper winning streak going. Now I've made alot of changes this summer & got off to a winning start we're playing with much more confidence, hopefully it will continue.

Just had West Ham enquire about Vangen after he's scored 4 goals in the first 7 league games for me icon_eek.gif

I icon_frown.gif 've played around 20 games the last 3 seasons in my actual stadium, they've upgraded it by 550 twice & now 815. Played at Griffin park the first 2 seasons & now Loftus road.

My average attendance this season is 13115 & I sold 5600 season tickets so its going up slowly. I don't know how much they'll keep improving my stadium or if they'll just move but at least they're doing something. They refuse on training & youth though

Originally posted by kaNovi:

every shot seems to go in behind my GK icon_frown.gif

Yep thats league 1, I was letting teams get 3 or 4 chances but they'd often score from nearly every 1. Very frustrating to say the least, yet there gk tends to save so many of my shots yet is clearly a worse GK. The stats suggest it & my scouts suggest it so why the difference? Confusing at times

Virtex.

Our parent club was Preston North End of the Championship and they loaned us holding midfielder Kieran McKenna and a young lad called Stephen Hindmarch who sits behind the strikers. The latter scored something like 35 goals in 40 games, with countless assists and MOMs.

I'm not sure if you know but the real life Stephen Hindmarch actually competed and posted in this challenge thread last season, (albeit under a different name), so keep us updated on his progress.

I can never seem to get him in any of my games.

He always scores against me though icon_rolleyes.gif.

I'm having a bizzare season in League 1, I win loads, then don't win for 5 or so. I'm somewhere in the playoffs after about 20 games but I don't actually want to be promoted this season, since I'd go straight back down.

Hoping for a good cup run in one of the cups, although I'm out of the league cup. I got arsenal in the 2nd round, respectable 2-0 loss icon_smile.gif Need the money in one of the cups to balance out my wage budget. My stadium isn't big enough to break even with the wage budget I was given.

Youth and training are being upgraded again, currently at Fairly basic training and basic youth. So hopefully theyre upgraded by the end of the season so I've a chance of a decent regen or 2 icon_smile.gif

Sorry about this rushed post so therse probably loads of stupid typos etc.

And Knights has become a hero for me this season, hes scored about 70% of my league goals icon_smile.gif

Dafuge

Perfectly ok to view other leagues I assume; England only playable league? I didn't like the experience of not being able to shuttle to Spain to watch La Liga or Germany for the bundesliga.

Been at this the whole bleeding night and I was really after a select group of teams, I turned up..Marine, Tiverton, Gateshead(5 times! Must have been a plea), Kings Lynn...if I don't get a sub 1000 I may settle for one of this lot of clubs..on my final holiday.

Truly this has been the only long term game I've been playing now for what 3 generations of this game!

rashidi1. I've got a feeling that the "English structure only" rule was introduced because we didn't know if running additional leagues in view only would result in additional players being generated and therefore give the user a bigger database and possibly an advantage.

I must admit that I still don't know the answer to this as I have never done it.

Having a great start to the season after putting my faith in the youngsters to show me what they can do when given a chance. Massive praise has to be given to Ricard Offiong though who has scored 12 in 15 for me since his free transfer from Leicester.

Swansea are walking away with the league as they sit in 1st place with 37 points from 13 games with there nearest challengers being Watford on 28 points from 13 games.

I currently sit in 6th place having played 12 games & will move upto 4th if I win my game in hand. Such a big boost that we've finally got off to a good start & built some confidence up but this squad would get ripped to shreds in the championship I feel so not sure I'd be that comfortable if I do get promoted but it's early yet & it's just great to be up the right end of the table for the first time in 3 seasons of league 1.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

rashidi1. I've got a feeling that the "English structure only" rule was introduced because we didn't know if running additional leagues in view only would result in additional players being generated and therefore give the user a bigger database and possibly an advantage.

I must admit that I still don't know the answer to this as I have never done it.

It doesn't seem to generate those players..but me..I will only sign up players my scouts throw up..or those I invite on trial. Having a bunch of them from across the channel is unrealistic

Rashidi Goes to Gloucester

I've marched into the offices of Gloucester football club and taken over management of football team....(it's off the downloads from the site).

Let's get the prelims out of the way so I can get on to the job of convincing players to come over..perhaps a raid on my neighbours will do nicely to see who they wanna let go.

Okay, so my first attempt at this failed due to the pre-beta assistant managers telling me that every tom dick and harry that I signed was the next big thing. I've now mourned, and am ready to start again. After trying 15 times to get a <1000 team, I gave in and decided to go with Matlock !

I will update in a few hours, once I've got myself under control. Matlock and I are in for the long haul!

Originally posted by Storzy:

King's Lynn - 07/08 End of Season Review

As per usual with these challenges, my first season was meant to be spent avoiding relegation and stabilizing the club. However I had ambitions for the play-offs when I got these two from Parent club Norwich.

Wayne Brown

Chris Martin

Both far too good for my league, I felt a little guilty having them at times especially when one or both smashed teams between them. However I wasn't the only team with stupid loan signings so what's good for the goose is good for the...

The season went well but we lacked any consistency to make an meaningful charge on the the title, but it was clear at the halfway point that we'd be in the play-offs. Wayne Brown ended up as our most creative player while his fellow Norwich buddy Martin ended up top scorer with 40 league goals! This wasn't enough to earn him the BSN golden boot as he was beaten by a striker on loan from West Brom.

League Table

League Graph

Season Summary

So onto the play-offs and were up against Tamworth. A team we recently beat 4-3 and earlier that year we drew 0-0. They played with 4 strikers and a lot of width, we're narrow and straight down the middle.

1st Leg

The Norwich factor saw us through, as it was a tight game with those two giving me the quality to walk away with the win.

2nd Leg

They carried on with their 4 strikers and 2 man midfield and were utterly dominated by our midfield. Potter and Torpey were my wingers but play in a narrow midfield, despite this they had too much time and space and we won easily.

Onto the final and no surprises to see Kettering in the final with us, they were a cut above everyone other than the champions this year. However we had beaten them before and with Martin and Brown anything is possible.

Play-Off Final

It was a tight game, tighter than it should have been when they got a player sent off in the 12th min. However it cost me Martin who got an injury. I moved Torpey upfront and he repaid my faith in him and scored what I thought would be the winner. Their equaliser came late but was perhaps deserved. Extra time was dull as we both failed to mount any serious attack. Until the last seconds when Torpey found himself through on goal with no one near him. He shot ata bout 30 yards for no reason and of course missed! Thank god we won on penalties!

[URL=http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/Storesy/?action=view&current=MatthewBaileyProfile.png]Mathew Bailey[/url] ended up with Supporters Player of the Year. Despite not scoring a header!

has Matthew Bailey played well for you then? i have him for Worksop (just finished 2008/09) and he's been a bench warmer at best for me. i#m just beginning to sort out my team for the new season (trialing loads of players again) and i was tempted to try and get rid of him.

is he worth keeping??

Just beat Swindon 2-1 away in the 3rd round of the FA Cup to set up an away tie against Everton in the 4th round. My first time against a real top club but I think I'll concede quite a few, my defence struggles against strikers with pace & I seem to be very reliant on the fact my midfielders & strikers are all scoring goals for fun.

Sitting 6th still after 24 games but it is so close, not sure if I will be able to hand onto a play off spot but it'd be great if I can just for the experience my players would get.

Failed in bids for Malbranque & Xisco as I couldn't offer them the money they wanted so am a bit gutted about that. Even with there age they'd have been great playing behind my 2 strikers for 1 season I thought.

Worksop Town - Blue Square North - Season 2009/10

after last season's heartbreaking play-off final defeat against Redditch, i was on the verge of taking a break from the challenge and waiting for the patch, but i've decided to battle on with it, and come back stronger.

i've axed a few of the deadwood from the squad who's contracts were up and am currently bringing in a number of trialists to evaluate in my pre-season programme. Trialists include Aaron Jameson (GK, released from Sheff Wed), Todd Wood (CF, released from Sheff Wed), Jamie Day (LM released from Peterborough) and Jonathan Stansfield (CB released from Rotherham (??))

on the feeder club front, i ended my links with Yeovil as they'd only sent me 1 player on loan, who frankly was nowhere near good enough. i was about to ask for a new parent club, but my board went and set up an agreement with Chesterfield without even asking me!! icon_rolleyes.gif they immediately sent me two players on loan, only to call them back a week later to promptly release them on frees!! hopefully they do a little better as we get to the new season.

I'm currently in the process of trying to secure the services of Luke Malcher, one of my loan stars from season 2008/09. he turned down a season-long loan, so i'm trying again with a 6-month loan deal. We are one of his favourite clubs after playing for us so i'm hopeful.

on the finances front, the board have given me £3.9k p/w on wages after promising them promotion, which i'm hopeful of. this is a rise on last seasons £2.5k p/w. however, i still have no transfer funds to spend.

will crack on with my pre-season tonight and post more later.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

He's been my fans player of the year in 08/09 & 09/10.

Really? might have to give him another chance then as partner to Zavon Hines.

also, has anyone had Andy Caton playing for them?? he's available on a free transfer and will come to me, but will cost me £500 p/w wages which is a lot for me. is he worth it??

Archived