FM10 Small Club to Big Club Big Euro Nation Challenge

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Elgin City - Scottish Third Division - Champions

league Table

We went quite a bit over our wage budget but still didn't seem to be losing any money over the course of the season, some of the players were just too good for this league but we still had a few problems in certain games so it's clear improvement will be needed for the higher league next year. Our lack of a decent striker was apparent all year as we tried Hislop, Bunting, Templeman and Forrest all in the central striker spot and none of them were convincing. Our main goal scorers came from Midfield.

Key Players:

Chris Townsley He was a rock at the back and a decent threat from corners too, should be good enough to step up a league

David Van Zanten The former Celtic and Hibs full back was probably too good for this league, filled in often on the right sided forward/wing spot and looked decent too.

GuillaumeBeuzelin Former Hibs and Coventry Midfielder was dominant in midfield and another player too good for this level

Rhian Dodds Ex Kilmarnock midfielder, our main reason for winning the league as he was the 1 who stepped up with the goals as our strikers let us down

Transfers

Have added 3 players to the squad already, Alan Trouten will replace the ageing Scott Murray on the right wing. Ex Rangers striker Steven lennon will hopefully be a striker who can score. Scott Morrison will add competition at both left back and Left Wing. Will look to add more players in pre season, will keep an eye on who Rangers and Celtic release. Could do with a new goalkeeper I think.

well it looks like my stay in Serie A will be short-lived...7 matches in, still looking for my first point...the lack of significant funding is really hitting me hard, just too difficult to compete...

i may look to try this challenge elsewhere just shortly, i have enjoyed it, but i think the limitations that this board have hit me with are really starting to take effect...shall see how this season pans out first i reckon

Montevarchi Calcio Aquila - Italian Serie A 2017/18

Transfers - A transfer budget of 36m was too tempting so I upgraded a number of positions, particularly defence.

Europe

Europa League - Runner-Up | Final

We stormed through the Qualifying Round and Group Stage with 8 straight wins, notching up 29 goals along the way. The knockout rounds were pretty straightforward too as we dispatched Partizan, Hertha Berlin, Roma and Celtic to reach the final.

Our final opponents were Atlético Madrid and the buildup wasn't kind as I lost both my starting DC's to injury. A poor first half left us a goal behind but a halftime dressing down seemed to do the trick as we took the lead only to be pegged back straight away. Into extra time and we had chances but Atlético got the goal to decide the tie, winning 3-2.

Italian Serie A

Predicted: 9th | Final Position: Winners | Graph

We continued on our end of season form reaching the halfway point of this season unbeaten, 7 points clear at the top and on a run of 35 league games without defeat.

A few too many draws allowed Inter to close the gap but we maintained our unbeaten run, clinching the title with 2 games to spare. Hopes of an unbeaten season were ended in the next game when the team, presumabley still drunk given the ineptness of their performance, capitulated against Sampdoria.

Italian Cup - First Round - The players obviously weren't happy that only a 'Normal Bonus' was offered for the cup. Bloody mercenaries.

Other News

Finances - A bit of a loss because of my splashing the cash on transfers and the 9.75m spent on an 8000 seat expansion to our year old stadium.

Club Records

Awards

Serie A Young Player of the Year - 1st Peio Ezimendi

Serie A Defender of the Year - 1st Herman Baan

Stars

Most Assists: Ezequiel - 20

Most Goals: Rodolfo Amorim - 23

Most MoM: Sergey Gadjiev - 8

Highest Avg Rating: Sergey Gadjiev - 7.40

Fans Player of the Year: Sergey Gadjiev

Best Eleven: Season | Overall

European Co-efficients

Montevarchi Calcio Aquila - 61.836 (42nd)

Montevarchi Calcio Aquila Trophy Room

Serie A x 1 - 2017/18

Serie B x 1 - 2014/15

Serie C1/A x 1 - 2012/13

Serie C Cup x 1 - 2012/13

Serie C2/B x 1 - 2010/11

Italian C1 Super Cup x 1 - 2012/13

Italian C2 Super Cup x 1 - 2010/11

Career History

Season   League      Pos.  Serie C Cup  Cup       Europe         Achievements
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
2010/11  Serie C2/B  1st   2nd Rnd      N/A       N/A            Serie C2/B Champions, C2 Super Cup
2011/12  Serie C1/A  7th   2nd Rnd      1st Qual. N/A            None
2012/13  Serie C1/A  1st   Winners      4th Qual. N/A            Serie C1/A Champions, Serie C Cup,
                                                                Italian C1 Super Cup
2013/14  Serie B     3rd   N/A          3rd Qual. N/A            None
2014/15  Serie B     1st   N/A          4th Qual. N/A            Serie B Champions
2015/16  Serie A     13th  N/A          4th Qual. N/A
2016/17  Serie A     5th   N/A          Qtr-Final N/A
2017/18  Serie A     1st   N/A          1st Rnd   EL Runner-Up   Serie A Champions

Next Season...Do well in the Champions League.

ummm...think ive lost my save guys...

my comp just shut down unexpectedly while i was playing, when i start fm back up now it says...

"save game could not be loaded"

it mentioned something about a parsing error in xml before that :(

WTF!!!

totally gutted, tried to re-install the game altogether, but unfortunately my angri save appears to be corrupt or something!! 7 seasons or so worth now unplayable :(

i know i was considering trying the challenge in another country, i guess this is the inspiration i needed to do that...wouldve been nice to be able to go back to it tho...ironic thing was i'd just gotten myself into 16th place...things were looking up

just to double-check i am ok to re-try the challenge?

Well I had already played through til the middle of October in the new season on Sunday, but I forgot to save the game, and lost it, so on my second attempt through I got into the season with a two leg match against Santa Clara, at home first and we won 3:1, then away we lost 3:1 and so the match went to penalties, it took 28 spot kicks to separate us and in the end they won 14:13 on penalties, a gutting result.

2rdu6fa.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VfB_Lubeck

VfB Lubeck are pleased to appoint unknown Scotsman Garry Maltman as their new manager.

Formed in 1919, VfB Lubeck play at the Stadion Lohmule, a 17869 capacity stadium. Having filed for bankruptcy in 2008, the club is hoping to bounce back through this ambitious appointment :)

From the list of "Famous Former Players" on wikipedia, i have only heard of 2 of them, Alexander Iashvili and Cedric Makiadi :D

the clearout begins...

some great progress still guys... and daemonic, congrats on winning Serie A. looking forward to a good CL run next season.
Well played on the league title daemonic, where did you get them backgrounds from? They look awesome, would love the same thing for Elgin.

I always search the web for a pic of the stadium of the team I choose and replace the default background pic with it. If I can't find a pic I'll find the ground on Google Earth or Maps and do a screen grab and edit it. Had to do that for my dafuge 09 Ramsgate save and as luck would have it the pic on Google Earth was taken while a game was being played so the pitch had teeny players on it :D

Elgin City - Scottish Second Division - 4th (promoted in Playoffs)

league Table

This year was almost the opposite to last year in that we had no trouble in finding the back of the net but our defence just didn't handle the step up. We only made the playoffs thanks to a good run at the end but we were stupidly inconsistant and found the step up a lot bigger than I expected

The Playoffs

Semi Final 1st leg - Found ourselves getting battered and as you can see we went 3-0 down, at this point we had nothing to lose so changed to a stupidly attacking formation, it kind of worked and we managed to claw 2 goals back.

Semi Final 2nd leg - We remembered how to play all of a sudden and just never looked like losing, a game where everything clicked.

'> Final 1st leg managed to sneak in some amazing free transfers just in time for the Final and it was well worth it as they pretty much won the game on their own. Made me very confident going in to the 2nd leg

'> Final 2nd leg Did what we had to hear, took the lead through our attacking full back and then just played it safe from there. Elgin are going up again!

Key Players:

Steven Lennon Finally an answer to our goalscoring problems, he was lethal in front of goal and until David Winters arrived didn't have much competition for the central striker spot

David Van Zanten The former Celtic and Hibs full back was yet again a great attacking full back, starting to get on a bit though.

Darren McGregor new centre back was very solid and popped up with a few goals at set plays too

Rhian Dodds Ex Kilmarnock midfielder, handled the step up a level with ease and provided a lot of assists that were crucial. Great player

Alan Trouten Former Queens Park right winger was a brilliant, better replacement for Scott Murray, contributed with 17 assists over the season and a few goals too

Transfers

Again there were a lot of new faces in the side, the biggest names in there are obviously Jermaine Beckford, Keigan Parker and Chris Porter. Found that they had all been without a club for about a year and was amazed that they were happy to join me just in time for the latter stages of the playoffs. Michael Stewart and David Winters arrived quite late and had a fantastic impact too.

We've now turned pro for the Scottish First Division and it looks like we should attract a higher calibre of loan players, Rangers have become our parent club and it's about time we got some decent guys in on loan. I think we should survive but anything else would be a bonus

Sorry to take this a bit off topic but once I have found background pictures that I need where to I put them? Do i need to create a new folder somewhere?

May as well do my 2nd Season update on here now too.

Not 100% sure if you're using the default skins, but I use the vitreous skin so just replaced My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\skins\vitreous\graphics\backgrounds\default.jpg with the background I downloaded.

If you use the default skin i'd check over in the Skinning forum as I'm sure it must have some up before.

Congrats on promotion and going Professional, best of luck next season :thup:

Well I have no idea what has happened, but after 11 games of the current Liga Vitalis season I have dropped to dead last in the league, I said I would challenge for the title, but that is most likely long gone as we head towards the halfway mark. Hopefully I can avoid relegation and the sack.

Well just two games later I have climbed 5 spots up the table to 11th, with a 5-1-7 record and 24-18 in goals. Interestingly I am only 5pts off 2nd place, but only 8pts separate 2nd & 16th. Only Santa Clara in 6th have scored more goals with 25, but they have allowed 23. A huge fight is on the cards this season, but the board seem confused...

im using the Vitreous skin, just as daemonic said in his earlier post. you just replace My Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2010\skins\vitreous\graphics\backgrounds\default.j pg with your own background image

Sporting Clube Farense - Season 2013/2014

Survival was key, and we achieved it...just!

Liga Sagres - Liga Sagres|League Graph

Media prediction was 15th, and until the last day of the season we were there, finally got out of the danger zone!

Squad

Squad

Massive squad, lots will be on their way out in the summer to make way for some better players - hopefully helping us to achieve better things in this league.

Lack of funds is really killing us.

Key Players

Nabil Baha - Baha really saved us - was a January signing and by far our best player this season.

Luis Perea - Perea did pretty well and was shortlisted for Centre Back of the Year.

Not really anyone else worth mentioning if I'm honest.

Season        League                Position           Achievements
2010/2011   Second Division North       4th               -
2011/2012   Second Division North       1st            Champions
2012/2013   Liga Vitalis                1st            Champions
2013/2014   Liga Sagres                 14th              -

When I tried that the background just went kind of pale/white and my image was nowhere to be found.

I think he was meaning the background picture, as for the getting a shot while the match is in progress "Alt+F9" doesn't work, but using the "Prt Scrn" button works and then you can edit it

No I mean when trying the same skin and replacing the default background with a pic of the Elgin ground I have found it doesn't show up with the picture. Just changes the background colour to a kind of very pale green/blue.

Hmm, only thing I can think to check is that its the right format (jpg) and roughly the same size / proportion as the original default.jpg that you replace.

Elgin City - Scottish First Division - 2nd

league Table

1st half of the season it looked like it was going to be between us and Hibs for promotion to the SPL but then our highland rivals Inverness came from nowhere and stormed to the title. We had no problems scoring goals, Beckford in particular far too good for this level.

Key Players:

Jermaine Beckford Just an amazing player at this level, unstoppable

DJoshMcEachran Shame it doesn't show his stats for the season, he was a superb goal scoring midfielder on loan from Chelsea and again too good for this level. Amazingly he has agreed to sign next year for free.

Scott Durie Ex Rangers player was a good attacking full back.

Scott Morrison When fit he was very solid at left back, shame he wasn't fit for most of the season because it left us playing a left winger in the position

Didn't get a screenshot but Bostock on loan from Spurs was also amazing in midfield

Alan Trouten Former Queens Park right winger was a brilliant, better replacement for Scott Murray, contributed with 17 assists over the season and a few goals too

Transfers

A lot of new faces yet again: Smith was great in goal, Suso also deserves a mention. Fantastic on the right. Agreed deals to bring McEachran permenantly and have looked to see Hibs didn't renew contracts for a couple of good players. A few defensive and midfield reinforcements should see us challenging again

Unlucky. Beckford should hopefully give you that needed boost. Who will be your newest ex-SPL rivals then?

Hamilton, nearly finished the next season already. The joys of being unemployed with nothing to do other than send off my CV and play FM :D

Hamilton kept a lot of key players such as James McCarthur, Hibs obviously a big threat again too.

Elgin City - Scottish First Division - 1st - Champions

league Table

never in doubt this year, we were brilliant from start to finish. Jermaine Becford was somehow even better than last year..

Key Players:

Jermaine Beckford Legend

Josh McEachran Not siging a new contract at the moment, that needs to change because he can be great for us for years.

David Wotherspoon released by hibs so we took advantage, solid at right back.

Took the wrong screenshot when trying to get Kilkenny but it needs to be said that the ex Leeds man was amazing in Central midfield with the most assists

Transfers

A lot of new faces yet again: Kilkenny and Wotherspoon the pick of them. Actually going to make money on transfers now with Mark Kerr leaving for £400k and Chris Humphreys for £500k. We need it too because we've now been plunged into debt thanks to the need for undersoil heating which costs £8.5m! Will be groundsharing at Forres Mechanics in the SPL :D

2rdu6fa.jpg

VfB Lubeck - 2010/2011 - End of Season Review

Predicted Position: 17th

Actual Position: 1st

Average Attendance: 10270

Season Ticket Holders: 1895

Having very little in the way of players capable of playing at this level, a mass clearout was in order to try and get anywhere. Between the summer and the January transfer window, a total of 20 players were moved on, and 19 brought in. Essentially, with the exception of 1 or 2 players, i built a team from scratch. In some ways i think this was beneficial as i decided for this challenge i was going to try a new approach tactic and formation wise, so was able to search for players who fitted into my plans rather than try and build the formation around what was available to me.

With the squad i assembled, i was able to fairly quickly get into pole position in the league, and pretty much maintain it for the whole season, which was way beyond my expectations.

With no money available to spend, not one of the players i brought in cost me a penny, and here is a quick run down of who's who:

Ron-Robert Zieler - i guess people will be familiar with Zieler, released by Man Utd, quickly became No. 1 and held the jersey for the majority of the season

Dominik Picak - Croatian U-21 GK, decent backup for Zieler, but not really called upon

Thierno Bah - Guinean International, can play in a number of positions, but spent most of season in DM/CM

Luca Caldirola - Italian U-21 International captain, only made 10 appearances, but will be a definite starter in upcoming season, released by Inter. Attracting quite a bit of interest, so will be interesting to see if i can keep a hold of him, fingers crossed :)

Boukary Drame - Senegalese full back, first choice this season

Gustavo - veteran Brazilian defender, first player ive mentioned who was already at club when i took over, and captained the side when he was fit to

Eugen Klukin - German defender brought in partly as cover and partly to fulfil the requirements for 4 u-23 players in the squad

Moses Sichone - Zambian defender, another who was already at the club, chipped in with 9 goals, a real danger with his head from set pieces

Muslu Nalbantoglu - turkish fullback, brought in on a free after his release by De Grafschaap, solid at right back

Jan Tauer - German LB, another already at the club. provided cover for Drame when needed

Mourad Hdiouad - experienced Moroccan international DM, solid when called upon

Luca Santonocito - italian, previously with Celtic, provided 11 assists for the team from left side of CM

Massimiliano Campagna - another young italian, only made 2 appearances but should feature more this upcoming season

Keko - signed for free from Athletico Madrid, another one i hope to bring through over the next few years, did lay on 3 assists in his 5 appearances, decent return

Maik Kegel - young German attacking mid, maybe my player of the season, scoring 12 goals and providing 16 assists in 32 appearances

Alen Stevanovic - another youngster, Serbian U-21 international who performed pretty consistently all season

Steven Lennon - released by Rangers, was leading the race to be my top scorer this season until injury ruled him out for the last few months, still got 14 goals in his 29 appearances

Adam Szalai - Hungarian forward, ended up top scorer, having started off with only 1 goal in his first 11 games! ended the season with 17 goals

Matteo Borriello - last of the Italian contingent, again rarely featured but hoping he can come onto a game this coming season

Top Scorer: Adam Szalai - 17 goals

Most Assists: Maik Kegel - 16 assists

Highest Ave. Rating: Luca Caldirola - 7.39

Fans Player of The Year: Moses Sichone

honourable mentions have to go to veteran Macedonian striker Goce Toleski, who scored 8 in 18 before i got rid of him in January, and Ali Lukunku, 35 year old DR Congo striker who scored 4 vital goals from the 9 sub appearances, but has also agreed a move on 1st July.

thats the majority of who really featured this season, there are a few others who have already agreed moves away this summer, therefore im not giving them a mention lol

A successful season was topped off when i was named German Third Division Manager of The Year

For the upcoming season, i already have a few players hopefully coming in to try and ensure i stay in the division. Also on the lookout for a new Ass man, as my current one, former German captain Bernard Dietz, has announced his retirement from the game this summer.

Season          Division        Position       Achievements
2010/2011       Third Division	1st		Promoted    

Archived