FM10 Official Southampton thread: -10 points + League One + Swiss Billions = FM fun

Matthew Le God

Second season. Championship. 43 games. 20w,15d,8d. 3rd place. Play-offs guaranteed. Unfortunately cannot reach second place. Automatic promotion gained by Hull and Wolves.

Adam Lallana increasingly becoming star player. Truly indispensible for the club.

Unfortunately could not keep Schneiderlin and sold him to PSG for 2.9 million. Having hard time finding replacement for him. Now I know that "run forward whenever possible" is fantastic preffered move for DMCs.

Having problem with the goal scoring consistency of my strikers. Especially Lambert has an awful season, he scored 1 goal in 27 games. Eventually I sent him to reserves and brought Paterson into the main squad. Amazingly he scored 6 goals in 6 games. If I manage to get promotion then I will definetly require a high quality striker.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So my form curve has dipped slightly, I am now halfway through the second season and I feel pretty comfortable in my 3rd place.

Out:

- Stoke started sniffing on Amr Zaki, and he started bitching and whining until he bailed on me and failed to show up for a training session. I sent him to Stoke for £7,5M. My fans were apparently pleased that I solved the trouble with profit, but worried that I had sold a key player.

- Javan Vidal also joined Stoke for a modest £1,4M. I figured that although he was described as a talent, he'd not had ANY progress to speak of whatsoever since I signed in, and as he now were well in his 21s, I figured I'd better off him in exchange for someone better. My fans weren't happy though.

In:

- I was trudging Argentinian clubs, mostly out of boredom in uni class, when I found a regen kid named Pablo Fontana, who had amazing stats for his age. £1M and a sloppy argument over work permit later, he was mine:

Pablo_Fontana_S2.jpg

- One of my scouts suddenly went like "oh hey there's this Icelandic kid who could turn out really good you should buy him". Kristjan Vidisson is his name, and I'm excited to monitor his progress:

Kristjan_Vidisson_S2.jpg

- Lastly, I'm latching on Marcelinho (Corinthians) in the hope of getting a work permit. In the event of him coming overseas, it'll cost me £3,5M and he'll be replacing Amr Zaki.

i started yesterday as saints =] just finished my first season came 2nd 4 behind leeds, lost both times to them so would of won if i had took points from them.

i signed bostock loan

little from wolves loan

simeon jackson 500k

dejan stefanovic free - did well centre half

cieran clark - loan from villa

gael kakuta - 850k didnt realise he was banned at first but did well when he came back.

scored 114 goals in the league

sags scored 45 in 53

lambert 32 in 42 and then in jan when jacko came he got 17 in 18

not a bad return tbf hes shot up to 1million now.

realllllllllllllllly enjoying the game with saints i love the youth setup here. i hope another diamond comes through for me so one day he can join lallana mills and schieds.

think a new goalkeeper is a must for the new season so have to see what cash i can raise to strengthen up the back as attacking we have no problem at all.

any tips or advice guys

cheers

barns

sold saganowski after 45 goals to leeds =[ maybe a big mistake but his contract was ending at the end of the year =[ saganowski and beckford upfront owch. had to cash in i think also 31 managed to get 2.4 with some more over months. bought in chris wood from wba for a mill which im happy with to partner simeon and lambert upfront =]

saints to the prem i think =] i wish le tiss was in the game to sign as a coach tbf

sold saganowski after 45 goals to leeds =[ maybe a big mistake but his contract was ending at the end of the year =[ saganowski and beckford upfront owch. had to cash in i think also 31 managed to get 2.4 with some more over months. bought in chris wood from wba for a mill which im happy with to partner simeon and lambert upfront =]

saints to the prem i think =] i wish le tiss was in the game to sign as a coach tbf

I think you did the right choice regarding Saganowski. He's deteriorating fast in my game now and I don't think he'll be worth bringing to the Premiership, should I reach it next season.

As for Lambert though, he is currently the Championship top-scorer with 23 goals in 24 matches, which should indicate that he'd be atleast useful in Premier League aswell.

I'm half way through my season (January) and have just finally hit the play-off spots; but previous to my last four or five games my job has been under pressure. Has any one else had this problem? Seems rather inconsiderate, seeing that you have to start of with -10, and if I had those extra ten points I would have been top for a good while.

On another note I'm pleasantly surprised with Matthew Paterson, 21goals in 27 - keeping Lambert out of the side. Tried offloading him at the start of the season too...guess he's showed me!

Hey Tommonufc, yeah i had the exact same problem, if i put into account the (-10) then i would hgave been top an i got them promoted in the end. Think the board just want a bit of consistancy, other problem being that Saints are a big club and therefore the directors have a certain level of expectation.

Out of interest how much did everyone get in thier first season in championship and then in jan

Hey Tommonufc, yeah i had the exact same problem, if i put into account the (-10) then i would hgave been top an i got them promoted in the end. Think the board just want a bit of consistancy, other problem being that Saints are a big club and therefore the directors have a certain level of expectation.

Out of interest how much did everyone get in thier first season in championship and then in jan

Yeah I didn't think I would have been the only one. They best be pleased with me now, just beat Leeds 5-1 in Johnstone's Paint Trophy. Almost finished the season now, I'll try and put some screen shots up once done.

I found that they stopped being ****y when i won 7 out of 8, unfortunatly i went out of every cup early, but i really dont care its all about the league till the premireship. Cups are for win bonus for club atm lol. I will SS soon an post.

Must say having trouble with my tatics now in the championship

Hi guys just started game with Saints earlier today, so far managed to bring in:

IN

Willy Topp ST - FREE

Pele DC - FREE

Hoyte DC - LOAN

John Fleck AML/ST - LOAN FEE 525K FUTURE FEE 2MIL

Keko AMRC - FREE from A.MADRID

Barazite AMCRL - LOAN

Very suprised to get John fleck and Keko

OUTS

Sold Pulis, Boyle, Gobern, Perry, Lancishire, Molyneux, Paterson, Thomas and Wotton they made me 1.6mil

Almost at Febuary we are doing ok i will update end of the season later.

Hey I'm Southampton and im having trouble finding a good first team winger because lee holmes never performs good enough, can anybody give me a decent inger to look at please.....Thanks :)

I got Fabrizio Zambrella and Kevin Bobson both on frees at the start of the season. Zambrella has been fantastic, but Bobson wasn't up to much and ended up selling him in January.

I'm in my third season, in the premiership, having been promoted two years running :)

I got a transfer budget of about £13m which isn't massive, but hopefully enough to stay in the division, then I'm hoping for quite a bit more.

To be honest I'm pretty disappointed with how stingy the board are being considering all the things that were said when they took over, and their apparent willingness to fund transfers in real life.

Just got promoted to the Championship.

Seem to be leaking alot of goals in...well more then we should.

DR - Danny Simpson

DL - Sylvinho

DC - Kyle Bartley

DC - Gavin Gunning

Are my current back four, any tips to conceed abit less? Or potential buys..then again they only gave me 18k to spend O.o

Hi guys, i have had one of my better games playing on fm with southampton this year. I dont know how to link a screen shot on here but if someone would be kind to show/tell me ill be happy to.

Quickest taking Southampton to the Premiership = Back to Back promotions. Finished 2nd In league 1 to Leeds and getting promoted through the play offs to the prem. I am now struggling in the prem with 1 game to go i have Liverpool. I am 18th with 33 points

Highest capacity for St Mary's = with 17th 16th and 15th all on 34 points.

Record price for a player brought = 3.1 M Roque Santa Cruz. Bit of a coup really ruined my wage budget.

Record price for a player sold = 1.7 M for Simon Gillet to West Ham who were relegated.

Biggest South Coast derby victory over Portsmouth = Beat them in the play offs 2-0 and 2-1 to take me to the final.

The first season i made hardly any signings. Just Guy Aussulin on Loan from Arsenal, Mark Little on Loan from Wolves and the big coup which imo gained me promotion Leon Barnett from West Brom. Leon still plays in my first team now in the premiership. My team now is

GK- Oscar Jansson

DR- Luis Pedro Cavanda

DC- Leon Barnett

DC- Peter Larsson

DMC- Seyfo Soley

MC- Morgan Schneiderlin

AMR-Ignazio Abate

AML- Simon Poulson

ST- Roque Santa Cruz

Ive gone from an Uknown Manager to National in three seasons. Ive been offerd Jobs by Wigan and Fulham which i turned down.

Finished my second season now, continuing my success after winning League 1. (Quickest Return to the Premiership) Would be interested to hear what signings were maid or needed for Premiership survival from anyone who has got there. I think that my current team will need some serious re-building for any success in the Premiership.

League Table

th_Coca-ColaChampionship.png

Transfers

th_Southampton-3.png

Squad Stats

th_Southampton-2.png

Play Off Final

th_SouthamptonvBolton.png

I was able to sign Luis Jiminez and Ivan Raktic on frees prior to being promoted. Jiminez has the 3rd highest overall rating in the Prem in January.

Raktic looks good, scouted both of them - only Luis Jiminez wanted to join. Here are my dealings, should be enough to at least stay up. Although I've targeted a mid-table finish.

th_Southampton-4.png

I've finished my first season and am delighted to have won the league. Started and ended the league in sensational form including 20 goals in the last 5 matches and an early 2-1 victory over Chelsea in the League Cup.

My squad:

sotonsquad.th.jpg

Somehow I managed to sign Tabare Viudez who is a terrific young right winger on a free as well as Felicio who was unplayable during the second half of the season, assist machine. (22 in 17 apps)

Settled on a 4-2-3-1 by the end which seemed to suit Zaki perfectly, Saga and Motaeb had previously played together pre Xmas and Saga was on fire but lost his way in the second half of the season.

The league was a close call all the way until the end, suffered from inconsistnecy over the xmas period but pulled through and then looked destined for promotion.

leaguetablej.th.jpg

Now I've got a 35k transfer budget.

Interesting season ahead. Zaki wants to leave immediately after Bolton declared an interest. He's going nowhere.

I was forced to sell him in the January transfer window of season 2 after I was offered 13.5M USD (I'm in the US) from Shaktar and my chairman stepped in. He had 23 goals and 6 assist in 21 apps for me.

Now I've got a 35k transfer budget.

Interesting season ahead. Zaki wants to leave immediately after Bolton declared an interest. He's going nowhere.

I only had a 30k transfer budget. What's your wage bull though? Mine was thrugh the roof but still under cause I took money from my transfer budget in the previous season.

Just Hit the new year in first season and hit top spot on boxing day. Results all seem to be going my way and now got a little gap between myself and Leeds and Norwich. Best result so far was an away victory against norwich where i won 7-1, I then followed this up with a 0-0 draw with the repeat match in the league. Fonseca and Perea up front keeping saganowski and lambert out and lallana and scneiderlin performing heriocs in midfield. Hopefully the good form continues and my team dont choke in the 2nd half of the season! Will post screenies when at home later.

Just finished my third season in 11th place in the premier league, which I'm pretty happy with. Bargain £2.5m signing Ched Evans scoring the bulk of the goals with good backup from free transfer Tomas Pekhart, and Adam Johnson (a £3.5m signing from Middlesborough) providing most of the assists. Schneiderlin still going strong at this level, but a few of my other players are looking a bit dodgy, including, disappointingly, Lallana.

Vincent Kompany, Jelle van Damme and William Gallas are keeping the opposition strikers honest.

Overall pretty pleased with how things are going, although the fans seem to hate my transfer policy of shedding players who aren't cut out for this level (and saga, lambert and some other stalwarts from the promotion years have run out their contracts), and I'm very disappointed that the board decided to spend £11m installing undersoil heating! I mean... what the ****?

Despite that I've managed to bring in Rodney Sneijder for £3.5m, Asmir Begovic on a free and Guillermo Ochoa for £10m to strengthen the goalkeeping position, Gary Cahill for £10m from Bolton, the transfer-listed Micah Richards from City for a cut-price £3.5m, and Matt Derbyshire on a season-long loan from Aston Villa to complement Pekhart and Evans. So the team is looking pretty solid at the back (with the exception of the left-back position) but the rest of the team is nothing particularly special at this level. I nearly pulled off an incredible swoop for Gignac but Barcelona got wind of the deal and gazumped me :(

Can't believe the decision to blow that much money on the completely pointless undersoil heating though, I could have really strengthened a thin squad with that.

I'll post some screen grabs when I get home...

Unfortunately could not keep Schneiderlin and sold him to PSG for 2.9 million. Having hard time finding replacement for him. Now I know that "run forward whenever possible" is fantastic preffered move for DMCs.

Can anyone explain that comment about DMC's with that PPM please?

Just finished my third season in 11th place in the premier league, which I'm pretty happy with. Bargain £2.5m signing Ched Evans scoring the bulk of the goals with good backup from free transfer Tomas Pekhart, and Adam Johnson (a £3.5m signing from Middlesborough) providing most of the assists. Schneiderlin still going strong at this level, but a few of my other players are looking a bit dodgy, including, disappointingly, Lallana.

Vincent Kompany, Jelle van Damme and William Gallas are keeping the opposition strikers honest.

Overall pretty pleased with how things are going, although the fans seem to hate my transfer policy of shedding players who aren't cut out for this level (and saga, lambert and some other stalwarts from the promotion years have run out their contracts), and I'm very disappointed that the board decided to spend £11m installing undersoil heating! I mean... what the ****?

Despite that I've managed to bring in Rodney Sneijder for £3.5m, Asmir Begovic on a free and Guillermo Ochoa for £10m to strengthen the goalkeeping position, Gary Cahill for £10m from Bolton, the transfer-listed Micah Richards from City for a cut-price £3.5m, and Matt Derbyshire on a season-long loan from Aston Villa to complement Pekhart and Evans. So the team is looking pretty solid at the back (with the exception of the left-back position) but the rest of the team is nothing particularly special at this level. I nearly pulled off an incredible swoop for Gignac but Barcelona got wind of the deal and gazumped me :(

Can't believe the decision to blow that much money on the completely pointless undersoil heating though, I could have really strengthened a thin squad with that.

I'll post some screen grabs when I get home...

11m on undersoil heating :eek:, talk about unrealisitic, you got a SS?

Just starting my game now, thinking of going with a 4-2-3-1 formation, anyone tried it with Saints?

In my first season guys i am doing well in late November sitting 6th with only 5points between 6th and the top spot.

What im after though is a left and right winger/full back. I want players that can cross, good work rate and can tackle aswell as a little bit of pace any one got any recomendations

Finally, for the first time in my FM career I have managed to go Southampton promoted!

I ended up in second place, and top scorers in the league. Leeds ran away with it, being top since the 13th game but I finally managed to get into the automatic spot with just 2 games to go and held on until the end, tho at half-time of the final game I was sat in 4th.

image-B61B_4B104975.jpg

image-3917_4B104763.jpg

I havent really added to the squad, except in defense where almost all positions were replaced, Balde and Campo were my original CBs, but they were inconsistant, especially Campo, so I splashed some cash on Neill Collins from Wolves and brought in Chris Smalling on loan from Fulham.

image-94DF_4B104763.jpg

In terms of games, I tended to stick with the same 11 in a 4-4-2 formation, with Lambert and Saganowski upfront, Lambert finishing with 47 goals in 47 games. Full squad list and usual starting 11 below.

Coming to the end of my first season with Southampton and how close is the race for promotion.

1. Huddersfield P.38 W.24 D.4 L.10 Pts.76

2. Sothampton P.38 W.25 D.8 L.5 Pts.73

3. Leeds P.38 W.20 D.10 L.8 Pts.70

4. Charlton P.38 W.20 D.8 L.10 Pts. 68

5. Leyton Orient P.38 W.20 D.8 L.10 Pts.68

6. Oldham P.38 W.18 D.10 L.10 Pts.64

Problem is all but one of my strikers are now injured within 2 weeks of each other.

Rickie Lambert - Torn Calf Muscle

Marek Saganowski - Torn Groin Muscle

Emad Motaeb - Pulled Hamstring

0-0 at The Valley 1st leg against Charlton then back to my place with a 1-0 in extra time sent us to the final.

1-0 win against Orient but a late scare with a penality against the red and whites but keeper Timmer pulled out a great save to send us up to the Championship.

Any one recommend players to sign for the 2nd season please

Haven't been able to play FM due to it being so slow on my laptop. However hopefully Xmas will bring a new one and I can finally play. Usually start as Chelsea but want to wait until after their hearing so I can be them.

Wanted a team with a challenge, good history and who deserve to be in the Premiership. Would you recommend them as a save?

Archived