FM10: Official Athletic Club Bilbao Thread - The Lions of San Mames

ArranoBeltza

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found a player called Pierre Aristouy, he is a french-basque striker that plays for a lower league french club. (J.A. Dax, you may need to load lower French league) He is a little on the old side (29 years) but he has fairly decent stats and the best part is that you can sign him for free as he is from lower league France. He looks like someone whom I can make a good profit from if I sell next season. :)

A couple of transfer tips:

Gorka Elustondo is a Basque midfielder of decent quality, he's young and he developes well. A versatile central midfielder.

Mikel San Jose has a high PA and usually developes rather well, he can become a solid centre back. Since there's a lack of quality centre-back's with basque nationality he's definatly worth holding on to, rotate him with Ustariz or Etxeita.

Joseba Llorente of Villarreal is usually transfer listed after the first season, he might be getting on a bit but he's usually pretty cheap and his finishing is top class, with the right support he can easily bag 15-20 goals in a season, also works great as a target man.

I've continued my second season game started with 10.2 patch and I've changed my formation to Italian 4-3-1-2. Athletic doesn't have true wingers so it's somewhat pointless playing with wide players. Also all wide players in Athletic can play in the middle and can be utilized there.

Check out Italian football thread in Tactics and training section. Zico10 has good example of working tactic with some nice football, I prefer bit different set up but very short passing is really way to go.

Also Muniain has started scoring again after I switched to new style. While he was on the bench for playing bad even Joseba Llorente excelled as poacher after 500 minutes without goal.

Heh, I found a regen player called Santiago Etxebarria :D Have to sign him just for that name. :) And he is good potential too, my scouts says 2.5 stars

Let the legend live on!!! :)

Thanks grimness, I was struggling to find a formation that would work. I'll give this Italian tactic a go.

Yeah. F.Llorente is Treq and Munianin Poacher. With Muniain Treq if he is paired with De Cerio. But it can also go the other way around. De Cerio has good mental stats so low creativity isn't much of the problem.

Even variations are working fine with Deep fwd and Poacher with TQ behind them.

When it comes to general 4-3-1-2 roles I prefer this set-up:

Fullback defend - CB cover - CB stopper - Wingback att.

Box-2-box - Deep play defending - Ball winner support

TQ

Deep fwd support - Poacher

But since Iraola is best fullback with Bilbao I'd go with mirrored formation.

Team settings to Control, Rigid, counter and no offside and else is just preference. Deep line and slow tempo.

Every player is set on shortest passing. Product is patient play and some really nice football and actions leading to goals.

With shouts you regulate how teams play. Get ball forward and hassle opponents if things are too slow for my liking and Retain possession If they are too wild, Take a breather in second half if fatigue kicks in early :D

will try to post a session 2 recap soon (i kinda overpreformed, but got no silverware this time)

grimness:

gotta agree that Zico10's 4-3-1-2 formation is a great one to use (and im currenlty using it in my newcastle save), and i may very well switch over to it if no good targetman regens shows up to replace Llorente when he retiers (or if Llorente gets knocked out by a long term injury), since my 4-4-2 tactic needs a world class targetman to work on this level

I think I am getting Del Horno. :D

he is not massivly better then any of the 3 you start with, and he seams to have relativly high wage demands, Koikili does a good job on lb, unless he's up against the likes of Messi or Ronaldo

Should I go for Monreal instead than?

edit: Osasuna want 6M for him (plus some other clausus)

Monreal is a tad younger and look better IMO, or maybe even retraining Azpiliqueta to lb could be a way to go, since one start with better rb's

Azpiliqueta costs to much though, he will be my star signing for season 2, besides Iraola is good enough.

When I edited my Polish database, I made Inaki Astiz of Legia Warsaw better, so he would be a decent signing for me too if I go for him. (CB)

No need for FB in first season. Koi, Castillo and Zubiaure are all good. Regardless of attributes. Osasuna are going down in everyones games it seems. Azpili... would cost you around 11 mill.euro next year but Bayern took him in my game :(

I kept that in mind when dealing with Osasuna,

My transfers involving Osasuna: Jorge Galan - Loan to Buy, Santiago Etxebarria (regen with 2.5 stars, buying mostly because of namesakes :p) for 650K, and I am trying to unsettle Miguel Flano.

No need for FB in first season. Koi, Castillo and Zubiaure are all good. Regardless of attributes. Osasuna are going down in everyones games it seems. Azpili... would cost you around 11 mill.euro next year but Bayern took him in my game :(
yes, the issue is geting azpi befor a big team steal him in front of your eyes, Man City now have him in my save for that very reason....

not really that i need an rb tho (picked up 3 good rb regens befor i tried to buy azpi....and then my youth section produced an rb that was "best player of his generation")

So I just saw my team lose 1-0 to San Lorenzo (Argentinin Team)

Sure it is a friendly, but they played badly. Attackers were getting through, Midfielders couldn't hold the ball and gave them to the opposition at times, and my strikers I believe didn't have much support but when they had the ball, they didn't make anything out of it.

:(

In other news, Zurutuza signed for me. :D

I'm in my second season, finished 8th first time and lost in final of Spanish Cup to Barca (again). Really enjoying it because I have some unbelievable regens... So I know that my team will become really good in a few years, if I can keep hold of Iker, Martinez, Iraola, Susaeta etc.

My current first team is as follows, I will put the transfer fees of any signed players:

4-5-1

GK: Iraizoz

RB: Iraola

CB: San Jose (2.6m)

CB: Amorebieta

LB: Castillo/Koikili/Balenziaga

DM: Orabaiz/Gurpegi

MC: Javi Martinez

MC: Ander (6m)

AMR: Susaeta

AML: Yeste/Gabilondo

ST: Muniain/F. Llorente/J. Llorente

Then I have a whole load of 17 year old regens who play a lot too... Am coming 5th currently, in February, those Barca Boys knocked me out of the Spanish Cup, surprise surprise! Am also still in Europa League, and got to the quarters last time.

fatski:

yeah Barca have been a real pain in my ass so far, I have not taken points of them in a singel game yet with Athletic (4 games in the league and 2 super cups), and i have not even came close to beating them in any of those games.

the hardest teams to deal with seams to be Barca, Real and Arsenal, much due to there winger pace (compared to the lack of pace one have on the wings as athletic)

It is interesting challenge. Usually I'm playing with them. Didn't use Liverpool, club I also follow, for about 2-3 years. I'm just hooked to Athletic. Also if I would take over another Basque club I'd try to use only Basques and probably foreigners in the beginning and later move to Basque only. Something like Real Sociedad in reverse.

How you guys can cope with only using Basque players is beyond me.

A more interesting question is why did Athletic hire a Polish coach? :p

It's an interesting challenge that can prove fun. :) Plus it means you must focus on training and developing players which I really like as well.

edit: Even though I am playing 10.2, I am going to try Randalls 10.3 tactic, as his tactic fits my team exactly.

Most people start with some ideas how they'll develop own youth and so on but after 5 minutes start buying all good players they can. With Athletic you can only get 2-3 signings which could come into your first 11 and probably you could afford only one. Other buys are to broad your bench and hunting youth. As polskaGola said you are focused on developing :D

In my case, I edited my Polish Database so Inaki Astiz is good now, bought for 1 M, and he is a good starting defender.

Also with Free Transfers, you can sell them in January and get yourself a second good signing. :)

Plus Joseba Llorante is transfer listed at the end of first season appearantly. :)

So yes, you can bring in some decent to good players to the squad, but you are primarally focussed on developing. :D

Also lost 2-0 friendly to Villareal. I am trying to find a proper tactic still. Randalls tactic only works for 10.3.

In other news I brought Xabi Preito to the club after Shahkter unsettled him, Xabi got angry with not allowing to leave clubs and handed in a transfer listing request where I got him. :D

How you guys can cope with only using Basque players is beyond me.
playing Athletic is one of the best ways to get away from a flag fruit sallad in the player list, it gives you a chanse to work with development of local talent and its a big time challenge to your tactical knowledge

in many ways it gives a fully different perspective on how to play fm10

I'm so deep into this club that I wondered who is Otamendi and tons of other players as my scouts didn't mention them ever :D

Joseba Llorente is transfer listed on 10.3 and can be loaned for 50% of wages, 60 000 euro, and without loan fee if I'm not wrong. But even 500 000 euro is OK price for him. Later can be bought for 800 000 but since he asks for 120+ monthly I doubt I'll get him.

Considering an Athletic save at the moment.

The thing putting me off is getting enough youths to keep a decent standard. What age (generally) are Spanish regens when they appear? In Brazil they can be 14 but in Italy they're generally 16. What about Spain? 16 is OK for Athletic though, right?

EDIT: and do you have any problem sending 16/17 year olds on loan to Bilbao Athletic/B team?

Regens appear randomly. In Spain I have noticed that most of my regens are 16 or 15 going on 16.

Although I do have a 14 year old French-Basque Regen I picked up from Bayyonais, and the other day I found my first 12 year old Regen while searching for regens. (He was from Mali though.)

There should be no problems with sending youth to Bilbao Athletic or Basconia, as players can move freely between them.

I've read from one user (I think from this board) how he used only players with maximum potential ability 130 to see if they can win La Liga (can't recall the club) and he ended up 3rd-4th for few years. Athletic youth at the start of the game are bit better then that and when I loaded all Spanish players with just Spanish leagues standard was even better. Without buying any players you can achieve Champions League spot as La Liga is pretty much even and most of the clubs near the top will have 10 losses.

My problem is that I'm ambitious and I often experiment during the season so I loose some games which I probably wouldn't if I had been consistent with formation. After first season you might get one or two players who might be ready to jump into first 25 players and few others who have really good potential.

You can always quickly play first season and start more in-depth game when you get regens.

Regens appear randomly. In Spain I have noticed that most of my regens are 16 or 15 going on 16.

Although I do have a 14 year old French-Basque Regen I picked up from Bayyonais, and the other day I found my first 12 year old Regen while searching for regens. (He was from Mali though.)

Thanks.

There should be no problems with sending youth to Bilbao Athletic or Basconia, as players can move freely between them.

Isn't it like moving a player to an affiliate, where they can decline to go (normally because the clubs at too low a level or reputation)? Not like moving a player to reserves or German U23 team where they go immediately? You've not had any problems moving a regen that you've bought from another club then?

Yah, players usually need to sign a contract to go to an affliate, but when you and the affliate have a "Players can move freely between clubs" cause, than no contract will need to be signed.

Athletic Bilbao and Basconia have a "Players can move freely between clubs" cause.

I have done this already, I just select the player and move to affliate and then the next time I click continue, I got a news item that said "X has been moved to X"

Really interested in an Athletic save. Although you don't have the excitement of being able to buy who you want and some good foreign youngsters, it's more of a challenge :D. Just want to get some things straight. Are the rules regarding who they can buy exactly the same as real life? otherwise I will prob give it a miss.

tcoleman1, the wiki tells us the following thing:

Athletic official policy is signing professional players native to the greater Basque Country, including Biscay, Guipúzcoa, Álava and Navarre (in Spain); and Labourd, Soule and Lower Navarre (in France). Still, in recent times, this policy has been somewhat relaxed and players with direct Basque ancestry or with no Basque ancestry but formed in Basque clubs have played for the team.

so yeah, the game does a decent job of replicating it (maybe not to 100% perfection, but it work well as it is)

Ok, I lost interest the first time because I couldn't find a proper formation, but now I am going to give it a second shot except on 10.3 this time. I'll try to mirror my buys to my first game though.

I am going to keep these two saves, Anderlecht and Athletic Club and try to go a few seasons with them.

Archived