FM10 Official Newcastle United Thread - Not sponsored by Mike Ashley

John Smith

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I finished the demo using only the players at the start of the game. It was tough when I got injuries and suspensions which I got my fair share of. But I finished the league unbeaten but with far to many draws in games I should of won but stupid defensive errors cost me a lot of points.

Andy Carroll and Steven Taylor were the stars. I had to gave Aaron Spear some games earlier than I would of liked but he got 4 goals in 7 games and he is only 16 so he could be one for the future

League

unbeatenleaguetabledemo.th.jpg

Squad

squadunbeatendemo.th.jpg

Great OP. I love the indepth analysis into the staff and players really well thought out KUTGW. I've played a few games on the demo now with newcastle and have struggled to get the team into the top 4 i'm a tactical nightmare but getting better with each attempt. I haven't looked at player sales or purchases yet as im saving that for the full game.

Really looking forward to the full version and being a regular visitor in here to see how many of us enjoy FM as the mighty mags.

How do people get Douglas Costa to Newcastle withouth transfer budget? I tried to go for a £9 million bid, with £0 up front. The transfer is now on hold, so that NUFC could get cash. How did you do that without selling for £9 million (impossible)?

As mentioned in a previous post...

You must have at least some transfer budget. Do so by selling or lowering your wage budget (sending players on loans with part / full wages covered, or offer lower wages).

The cash over 24, 48 months works in that instead of blowing your budget over a single installment, you now pay a smaller amount spread over a longer period. Say, you have a transfer budget of 100k. You wish to sign a 4.8mil player. Ask to pay over 48 months, working out to be 100k/month, which fits your budget.

I started a N'castle save last night :) Mainly due to the fact my mate started brilliantly on his save, and now his team is falling apart and losing £4m+ each month.

I have just reached first game of season and played it, will put up my analysis and screenshots in a bit.

I think the OP has more information than all the other clubs put together great work John Smith and ChrisNUFC.

Thanks, I'll see if I can finish Midfielders and Strikers at some point, if not Bug John Smith to do it! :D Glad you're enjoying FM10 and the Newcastle data too :cool::thup:

How did you use Carroll, considering the crossing from the wingers are pretty poor? Quite surprised at Spear's contributions. Didn't think he will be really for a couple more seasons.

I used Carroll as a targetman in a 442 or a 451 both the fullbacks and the wingers got a decent amount of assists but most of his goals were shots from through balls from the central midfielders he even got a few from outside the area.

I used Spear as a advanced forward or a poacher but like I said I had a lot of injuries to my forwards Ameobi was out the majority of the demo as was Vuckic and Donaldson so I had no choice but to play him.

I am getting Windows 7 put on my computer today so will probably not play fm10 until the full game comes out but then again I love this game so I will probably change my mind after a couple of days.

Do people get Butt to mutally end the contract?

I have done, I transfer listed him and removed him from the captaincy to get rid of him. That appears to be the only way.

Anybody seen Ruben Yttergard Jenssen? He looks like a good player, I got him for £900K. Also Kevin Thomson is a good buy. I've got rid of Barton through mutual termination, and I sold Alan Smith to the mackems for £3.9m so it freed up a lot of the wage bill. I also farmed out Coloccini and Gutierrez on loan to Lyon, it's worked pretty well too. I'm not too bad at the back signed Andrade on a free, and Dejan Stefanovic(ex Portsmouth) and I got a good looking young play, Tommy Spurr, from Sheff Wed for £2.1m.

I have done, I transfer listed him and removed him from the captaincy to get rid of him. That appears to be the only way.

Thank you. It worked. I got rid of him for 8,5 weeks of wages. Geremi went the same way, for 20 weeks of wages. £425k and £1 million, respectively. That freed up £4,4 million in the transfer department, leaving me with £40k left on the wage budget.

Only a few games in but i'm doing well.

Using the same tactic the toon used IRL last week, 4-4-1-1 with Nolan behind the main striker.

Brought in Nacer Barazite on loan to play on the right, but he got himself injured after pre-season. Managed to get Andy Van Der Meyde in on a free to replace him.

Brought in Christian Vieri in on a free also, to mentor the young strikers and provide some experience.

Last player in (again on a free) is Ivan Campo to provide an experienced CB who doesn't get distracted by shiney things.

Who i play up front really depends on the team i'm up against. Carrol is injured so it comes down to Ranger if i need pace and Vieri if i need the ball held up. Ameobi doesn't get a look in after some shocking pree season games. Ranger bagging 2 a game more than once this season is also counting against Ameobi.

Not having any luck getting rid of players. Butt and Geremi even refuse to mutually terminate their contracts.

Anybody seen Ruben Yttergard Jenssen? He looks like a good player, I got him for £900K. Also Kevin Thomson is a good buy. I've got rid of Barton through mutual termination, and I sold Alan Smith to the mackems for £3.9m so it freed up a lot of the wage bill. I also farmed out Coloccini and Gutierrez on loan to Lyon, it's worked pretty well too. I'm not too bad at the back signed Andrade on a free, and Dejan Stefanovic(ex Portsmouth) and I got a good looking young play, Tommy Spurr, from Sheff Wed for £2.1m.

Only a few games in but i'm doing well.

Using the same tactic the toon used IRL last week, 4-4-1-1 with Nolan behind the main striker.

Brought in Nacer Barazite on loan to play on the right, but he got himself injured after pre-season. Managed to get Andy Van Der Meyde in on a free to replace him.

Brought in Christian Vieri in on a free also, to mentor the young strikers and provide some experience.

Last player in (again on a free) is Ivan Campo to provide an experienced CB who doesn't get distracted by shiney things.

Who i play up front really depends on the team i'm up against. Carrol is injured so it comes down to Ranger if i need pace and Vieri if i need the ball held up. Ameobi doesn't get a look in after some shocking pree season games. Ranger bagging 2 a game more than once this season is also counting against Ameobi.

!!!!!!!!Not having any luck getting rid of players. Butt and Geremi even refuse to mutually terminate their contracts.!!!!!!!!

That should help you out getting rid of Butt. With Geremi I just offer him out, transfer list him and put him in the reserves. Then I offer mutual termination.

That should help you out getting rid of Butt. With Geremi I just offer him out, transfer list him and put him in the reserves. Then I offer mutual termination.

Nah, tried all of that with both of them. Butt still refuses to leave and it upsets the rest of the players when I offered Geremi Mutual Termination

well just finished the demo, bleeding money like hell but somewhat offset by money for given bassong and (surprisingly dyer based on appearances) coming in, got rid of colo geremi and butt (mutually terminated his contract) brought in ball campbell and andrade on frees gosling (to cover smith in ball winning role in cm since i got rid of butt) wilshire and tom de mul (from sevilla) on season long loans and bought skjelbred (who got crocked after 2 games and out for 3 months in typically newcastle fashion) and zaki in for money. Zaki and Ameobi are a lethal combo for me with ameobi as the advanced forward and zaki deep lying forward. Use 442 with smith in ball winning role and barton box to box and 2 wingers on attack, top of the table by 8 points and 14 goal difference and made it to quarter finals of league cup knocking out bolton and wolves along the way before man city got to me.

Oh and board takeover as well so no extra cash (is there any way of reducing the chance of that as its not exactly realistic for newcastle is it).

Finance wise it seems must get promoted asap other wise doom.

I bought zaki and romero but so far they are not syncing very well. How do you play these players? I've done zaki as a deep forward or target man with romero an attacking/complete/poacher type. I dont seem to be getting them to work well together? I'm still undefeated and killing the league, but they arent banging in goals the way I'd like

Great thread so far (especially the OP). Decided not to download the demo this year and will just get the full game on Friday. So far it seems very realistic, the only exception being that on a screenshot further up the page, Jonas has scored 5 goals;)

got to the end and deffo starting with newcastle on friday cant wait.

just a quick question, how often do people rotate the squad in the championship? the fitness levels are very very poor and i have a feeling that if the season had continued i might have dropped away a bit.

personally i have been impressed with tim krul and he looks like he could quite easily improve to a top goalkeeper (or just short of), a couple of the promising defenders look very promising and have benefited from being mentored by andrade (a must signing?)

barazite did a great job upfront with me in rotation with carroll and ameobi. Carroll scored 8 goals which wasnt bad considering he didnt always play and the wingers are instructed to run with the ball rather than cross and is such he wont get a lot of service.

In the full game i am still unsure who to bring in upfront to be honest. Obviously the target is promotion by whatever means possible , however how do other players view trying to adapt the style and players to premiership quality at this stage?

thanks

Can't wait to see what people do with the team when they get promoted! The team on paper if it wasn't change, would be in the bottom 5 for sure, so it'd be a tough battle - improvements will be needed to survive. Suppose it all depends on who takes over the club in your game, and what they're willing to invest.

I'd feel sorry for anyone that still had Ashley!

jbarnsie

I try to get a number of players in to have depth - ours is one of the smallest squad in the league. Factor the cup matches together with the 42 league matches and you have a long season ahead. There are plenty of names in this thread which are good players even at Premiership level.

I would take the chance to rebuild. Get cheaper, younger promising players who can play in the Championship, and use that one season to adapt and hopefully improve into Premiership level players by the time we get promoted. And the players on over £50k/w have to go eventually - they can't improve much, and together they take up more than £42M in wages annually.

It would be a new look Newcastle within 2, 3 years.

yep thats true john

from the demo experiences i will be happy to let go of any of the highest earners if the right opportuntiy arises.

i sold harper but this upset the fans and the board maybe i should have kept him? whats the view on krul vs harper?

Anyone else going to continue their demo game?

I'm going to I think, having great fun on it, top of the league (only just). Hopefully get promotion then see how I fare at the top level, baring in mind I already beat Stoke in the CC and got a good draw at Molineux in the FAC.

I did think about it but have decided against it. You'll be missing out on alot of players when/ if you get promoted as its only a quick start.

I pretty much know who and who I'm not going to sign on Thursday night/Friday Morning :D so just gonna start a new one with a large database and a couple more leagues loaded up.

I'm an Arsenal fan but I always had a soft spot for Newcastle. Hence, I am thinking of managing them when my copy arrives. Any tips I can get from you chaps? Best formation, who are the players I should sell etc. Much appreciated, cheers.

I'm an Arsenal fan but I always had a soft spot for Newcastle. Hence, I am thinking of managing them when my copy arrives. Any tips I can get from you chaps? Best formation, who are the players I should sell etc. Much appreciated, cheers.

The opening post has a lot of the answers you're looking for :)

Finished the demo just in time to get fm 10 tomorrow.

Had a fairly good 6 months, Top of the league by 5 points, had too many draws for my liking but win at home, draw away will get promotion.

I also reached semi final of league cup which i beat man united at old trafford in 4th round and was set to play west brom in semis but trial ran out before i could finish.

demo10.jpg

demosquad10.jpg

bestwindemo10-2.jpg

fm10bestdemowin.jpg

John Smith, I love the work you've put into the OP. It looks great and is very interesting.

Newcastle is quite a challenge and was always one of my favorite teams in the PL. It will be the first team I manage in FM 2010 :)

Looking forward to it...

KUTGW!

The demo was a quick save so some of the transfers will have been a bit off due to world reps and teams not being fully fielded (as thats what happens in a quick save). In the full game things change depending on what database size and leagues you load up.

Archived