FM10 Official Newcastle United Thread - Not sponsored by Mike Ashley

John Smith

just brought this guy and scored/assist on his debut even tho it was a freindly better then Ameobi stat wise brought for 850k good bargain if your strapped for cash..work permit gets accepted 3rd time of asking.

jonathancristaldo.th.png

Saw his name mentioned in a thread in this forum, people think he's going to be one of the 'Next Big FM things' this year! Could just be a lucky save generation in the QuickStart though, only time will tell!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
just brought this guy and scored/assist on his debut even tho it was a freindly better then Ameobi stat wise brought for 850k good bargain if your strapped for cash..work permit gets accepted 3rd time of asking.

jonathancristaldo.th.png

Cool. I tried to sign him but couldn't get a WP. He has some nice attributes there. Did your coaches rate him better than Ameobi?

Hi, I've signed Sol Campbell and Cristian Vieri, both on free transfers. Both are decent cover and pretty low wages.

Haven't managed to sell anyone.

A takeover has just been completed by a board member, can't remember his name. Not very realistic really as that isn't going to happen in real life. A little surprised that Barry Moat isn't programmed in to buy the club. No money available and personal message from new owner says no investments will be made for the foreseeable, so not too good.

Squad looks pretty good though with some very decent youth players. Currently top of the league and unbeaten after 7 games.

Looks like it'll be fun managing the toon this year - obviously no money and I guess we'll just have to wait to see whatever happens with any board takeover.

I've just started a second 6 month stint having experimented quite a lot on the first one.

A straight 442 seems to work best for me but I've also found it more important than ever to watch this highlights during amatch and make changes - I keep the stats screen and player rating screen up throughout the match and use them to see if I need to make any changes. With the quality of CM's at the toon then a 433/451 option is a good plan B to have. I play attacking and fluid with a direct style and expressive movement, also set crosses to float as I seem to get a lot of joy out of the big strikers.

Gk's - Harper is first choice but on £30000pw and you can get interest from some big Euro teams if you want to sell him. I'm not sure if Krul is ready yet straight away but I want to play him long term so I reckon I'll try and do this in the full game. Forster returns from loan in Nov approx and Soderberg is an ok backup too.

Def - Simpson, Taylor, Colo, Jose is a very solid back 4. I have CB's on defend and FB's on auto. I've also got zonal marking on as that seems to be a bit better. RTaylor is a great utility player to have on bench and Kadar is your best back up, with Tozer just about able to hack the Championship standard. Again, if you want to raise mony then I suggest Colo (£78000pw) - I had bids of around £2.5m when I put him up for sale.

Mid - Wingers are both 'wingers' and 'attack' and get a lots of assists this way ,I play Jonas on the right (seems to be quality wherever he plays). In the middle - Smith as the ball winner and Barton/Nolan as the box to box (both are on support). I haven't quite managed to get the best out of Nolan/Barton yet so I will tinker a bit more with their role. Have tried to sell Butt/Geremi without success - another poster mentioned mutual termination as they are both on high wages. Guthrie will provide good competition for places, haven't played too much of him yet though. Lovenkrands is average on the left so I brought in Gibbs on loan to play on the left, he's playing very well. Another option is to put RTaylor on the right and Jonas on left - LuaLua is potentially a decent backup but if you want to play with wingers I suggets you look at the loan market or transfer if you can raise some cash. Barazite /Wilshere are potential loan targets as both can play wide.

Att - I've found a target man/advanced forward (both on attack) combo works well here. Vieri on a free / Carroll are my target men and Camara (free) / Ameobi are my advanced forwards. Vieri and Camara both score quite a few goals. I'm going to let Ranger out on loan in the real thing and see if he develops. Worth noting that Vukic and Spear could turn into quality players in a few years so some good loans / reserve games / coaching will be required.

2nd time around, won all friendlies then won 4 out of 4 so far in the league and looking good. Roll on the full game!

Cool. I tried to sign him but couldn't get a WP. He has some nice attributes there. Did your coaches rate him better than Ameobi?

just looking at the stats you can tell hes better then Ameobi and just played 2 more friendlies and scored a hattrick in both so hes scored 7 goals in 3 games.

just looking at the stats you can tell hes better then Ameobi and just played 2 more friendlies and scored a hattrick in both so hes scored 7 goals in 3 games.

Cool :thup:

In his 3rd match after his return, Jonas scored a goal akin to van Basten vs Soviet Union. Against mightly Doncaster. :D

Definitely one of the stars for Newcastle.

Finished 1st again on my second save so I am now starting yet another new game. But this time going to look at different players and try a new 4-3-3 formation.

Signed Moritz Volz on a free so I am going to try and get rid of Ryan Taylor who is on £33k and I also signed Per Ciljan Skjelbred For £1.6m. I ve signed Necip on loan from Real Madrid who they have just brought from Besiktas.

Sold smith to Sunderland again for £3.5m

Harper went to Juventus on loan for £250k and they will pay 90 % of his wages. I then signed Asmir Begovic on loan from Portsmouth. Coloccini went to Fenerbahce on loan for £450k and they will pay all his wages. Jonas went to Lyon on loan for £625k and they will pay 70% of his wages

Well I have finally had a offer for Geremi from Celtic and Anderlecht on loan but the cheeky buggers offered 0% of wages so that got turned down.

I have put bids in for Cristaldo and Bernardo which got accepted so waiting for WPs

I have not seen much talk of Ranger in this thread. How good can he be in th championship? In pre season he has been my best player coming off the bench in the last game to score a hattrick and give us a 3-0 win. To me he looks like a top player already.

Started my save earlier as well. Only brought in Wilshere on loan, no-one left the club.

Had a mixed start really, with a loss on the opening day at WBA, then a thumping win at home to Reading. Then one of the most annoying matches I've ever experienced on FM; at home to Sheff Wed. We lost the game 3-2, after Collocini conceded a penalty in the last seconds of the game, from a fairly basic long ball into the box. ****!

Followed that up with a 1-0 win at Palace, with Colo getting MOTM. Hmmm . .

Good fun though, press conferences the only thing annoying me so far, and my inability to find a formation that works.

thebigfella

You must have at least some transfer budget. Do so by selling or lowering your wage budget (sending players on loans with part / full wages covered, or offer lower wages).

The cash over 24, 48 months works in that instead of blowing your budget over a single installment, you now pay a smaller amount spread over a longer period. Say, you have a transfer budget of 100k. You wish to sign a 4.8mil player. Ask to pay over 48 months, working out to be 100k/month, which fits your budget.

Just finished my pre-season and these were the results:

Falkirk 2-2 (D)

Carlisle 1-2 (L)

Sportul 6-0 (W)

Farul 4-0 (W)

Coleraine 4-0 (W)

I was playing a 4-5-1 until the start of the Sportul game and changed to a 4-2-2 which seems to be working very well, but the test will come against WBA.

Signings:

Dan Gosling - Loan

Jack Wilshere - Loan

Henri Camara - Free

Sam Vokes - Loan

Moritz Volz - Trial (With a look to offer a proper contract)

Top scorers so far:

Wilshere - 4 goals

Vokes & Camara - 3 goals

S.Taylor & Ameobi - 2 goals

Ranger, Gosling, LuaLua, Lovekrands, R.Taylor & Colo - 1 goal

Top assists so far:

R.Taylor - 3 assists

Wilshere, Nolan, Colo & Enrique - 2 assists

Gosling, Simpson, Smith & LuaLua - 1 assist

Just finished my demo game. Pardon the big images.

demoleague.jpg [/url]

League position in Jan. Strong squad helped although there were a few close calls with some frantic tactics adjustments. Love the new tactics interface.

demosquad.jpg

democontracts.jpg

Squad at the end of demo. Star player was Amr Zaki, bought at a cheap £1.5M.

Jonas was the star with 4 goals and 4 assists in the first 8 matches, got injured and came back average.

Wilshere was the player I was looking forward to, before the demo even came out. Turns out half-decent though.

Skjelbred was quite disappointing. Expected more but maybe he needed time to settle in.

The whole defence was amazing. Both Andrade and Otamendi were good buys. Ball provided good cover for Enrique.

demotransfers.jpg

Transfers. Overall quite happy but weird that the fans are unhappy about letting Geremi (key player?) and Butt go. Still can't get rid of the big earners. Skacel is on the way out.

Got taken over by a consortium led by Charles Villeneuve (ex-PSG I believe), who pumped in a paltry £1.3M into the transfer budget. Even after cutting down on the wages, I was still bleeding around £2M a month. Current balance stands at a sad £3.3M and I expect it to worsen.

Just finished my demo game. Pardon the big images.

demoleague.jpg [/url]

League position in Jan. Strong squad helped although there were a few close calls with some frantic tactics adjustments. Love the new tactics interface.

demosquad.jpg

democontracts.jpg

Squad at the end of demo. Star player was Amr Zaki, bought at a cheap £1.5M.

Jonas was the star with 4 goals and 4 assists in the first 8 matches, got injured and came back average.

Wilshere was the player I was looking forward to, before the demo even came out. Turns out half-decent though.

Skjelbred was quite disappointing. Expected more but maybe he needed time to settle in.

The whole defence was amazing. Both Andrade and Otamendi were good buys. Ball provided good cover for Enrique.

demotransfers.jpg

Transfers. Overall quite happy but weird that the fans are unhappy about letting Geremi (key player?) and Butt go. Still can't get rid of the big earners. Skacel is on the way out.

Got taken over by a consortium led by Charles Villeneuve (ex-PSG I believe), who pumped in a paltry £1.3M into the transfer budget. Even after cutting down on the wages, I was still bleeding around £2M a month. Current balance stands at a sad £3.3M and I expect it to worsen.

Could you please download your tactic??

Thank you so much in advance!!!!

Could you please download your tactic??

Thank you so much in advance!!!!

I usually play a 4-3-3 formation with one DM, 2 MC, 2 wingers and a lone striker. Defence is pretty fixed but I assign different roles to my midfielders whoever is playing. The team plays with a direct, high-tempo style with counter-attacking.

I also change formation with different oppositions. The other formation I use is a 4-4-2.

Be interesting to see how you do when the full game is out, as I'm not sure you'll be able to pull off some of those transfers.

You have to spoil it for me. :D

Seriously, it's not all sweet happiness. The money I'm losing is crazy and there's no way I can cut it down, with no clubs in for the big earners. I would go so far as to say a straight return to the Premiership is a must, or we'll suffer financially the longer it drags. And getting rid of the likes of Barton, Smith, Nolan will take a long time.

All in all, it makes the club more of a challenge than ever will be. I find it more interesting and long-lasting this way.

I usually play a 4-3-3 formation with one DM, 2 MC, 2 wingers and a lone striker. Defence is pretty fixed but I assign different roles to my midfielders whoever is playing. The team plays with a direct, high-tempo style with counter-attacking.

I also change formation with different oppositions. The other formation I use is a 4-4-2.

You have to spoil it for me. :D

Seriously, it's not all sweet happiness. The money I'm losing is crazy and there's no way I can cut it down, with no clubs in for the big earners. I would go so far as to say a straight return to the Premiership is a must, or we'll suffer financially the longer it drags. And getting rid of the likes of Barton, Smith, Nolan will take a long time.

All in all, it makes the club more of a challenge than ever will be. I find it more interesting and long-lasting this way.

SPOILER

In some of the long soaks I did to test the data it was interesting to see the possible outcomes. If Mike Ashley didn't sell the club that Chris Hughton usually remained in charge and was declared the official manager - it was 50/50 if we got promoted or not in the 1st season. If we didn't then we went into administration, and at one point I even saw us down in League 1!

If we did then Hughton stayed on as manager and it was around 40/60 if we stayed up or not. If we got relegated then Paul Ince or Lee Clark usually become Newcastle manager. If we stayed up Chris Hughton remained in charge and we become solid mid table Premiership team.

Chris

Not unexpected. Mike Ashley just will not pump any more money into the club. Administration is a very real possibility looking into the finances. What was the club balance at season's end for each of the scenarios?

Now trying a different game with just the initial players at the club + Harewood on loan. Can't get Zurab atm and if so, will just bring in another DC. I can tell you it's really tough, with me panicky at any news that suggest a possible injury.

I've finished my half-season. Top in Championship, still in both cups (LC semi-final against Spurs, will probably get thrashed as haven't drawn anyone decent so far). I couldn't get rid of any of the big wage boys at the start so could only bring in loan signings. Nacer Bazarite and Jack Wilshire have been useful subs but unspectacular. I ended up releasing Nicky Butt on a mutual termination because his whingeing about being transfer listed was doing my head in. I was going to do the same with Geremi but my inability to sign ANY decent free transfers meant that I ended up keeping him to play in League cup games and the like.

The club was taken over by a consortium headed by one Paolo Nicoletti who was going to bring in Alan Curbishley to replace me but decided against it. He hasn't made much money available.

I've played a 4-5-1 nearly all season:

Harper

Enrique, Coloccini, S. Taylor, R.Taylor (FB's set to automatic)

Nolan, Smith, Barton (though as Smith and/or Barton is ALWAYS suspended, Guthrie's played a lot. One Box-to-box, one CM attacking one CM support)

Lovenkrands, Jonas (wingers, advanced from the middle 3)

Ameobi (Ranger has been a good sub)

Tactics tweaked according to opposition. You have to set tackling to easy because it's a team full of dive-in foul-merchants.

Stats: Championship p24 w16 d5 l3 for44 ag19 53pts

The Championship is fairly easy with this squad, IMO, but they'll get eaten alive against better oppo. I am desperately hoping for some new blood in the transfer window in the new version!

Liking the game, seems really tough to sell players, and buy any in. Currently like 5th in the league after an inconsistent start, but results are picking up. Andy Carroll and Shola Ameobi is a great partnership, when one of my 3 MC's is out injured. I switch to 4-4-2 then, and it works well, but I don't want to drop any two from Barton, Smith, Nolan or Guthrie to the bench when they're all fit.

But yeah, enjoying it. However, does anyone else think that crosses are crap, with most just deflecting off the defender for a corner?

But yeah, enjoying it. However, does anyone else think that crosses are crap, with most just deflecting off the defender for a corner?

That's because the wide midfielders / wingers can't cross for nuts. I use a direct approach with Lovenkrands and Jonas cutting in and creating chaos with their pace (although sometimes they can't decide what to do in the final 3rd), and my attacking fullbacks in Enrique and R Taylor will do the crossing.

Seems like such a waste too, especially when you have a big man in Carroll.

I was going to do the same with Geremi but my inability to sign ANY decent free transfers meant that I ended up keeping him to play in League cup games and the like.

Once you have settled the mutual termination with Butt, you should be able to adjust the wage / transfer budget. Try getting Kevin Thomson, a left-footed MC for around 1.5M. He's great. I do regret not selling Smith. With the embarrassment of midfielders, Guthrie had to settle for being a reserve player.

I am going to start another game only using the players already at the club and sign no new players so I hope no one gets injured. Is it just me or every time the demo finishes your really getting into the game and are gutted you have to start a new game again ?

col_nufc1

I tried doing the same thing, only signing Harewood on loan, and Andrade (since I can't get Zurab; backup anyway). I can tell you it being a difficult challenge is an understatement. One long ball or through pass, and the entire defence always seem to lose their concentration to concede a soft goal every time I'm leading.

Yeah, can't wait for the full release to start a career game. Very unfulfilling right now.

In my first league game against WBA Barton got sent off after 30 seconds has anyone else had anyone sent off so early in a game ? Lovenkrands scored the only goal from the spot in a close 1-0 win.

Nope, though Ryan Taylor got a red card after 2 minutes against Swansea in one of my games

Woooo!

Got taken over by Bob Murray on the 30th August and he gave me 16 million to spend on players. Bought Guilerme Horau (sp?) who is a striker. Maybe a bit over the top but he is banging in the goals so far.

Also got Campbell on a free at the start but was beaten to Wilshere by Derby :|

Thanks, Chris. Still awaiting your your excellent sections on the midfielders and forwards. ;)

Haha I'll see what I can do about that, but busy marking data changes, writing an FM story and working on another project!

I have created multiple filters to make easy searching by player role.

What is Smith's Filters?

Download Smith's Filters

You guys are first to get it. It should make easier searching for that specialized player to fit your formation to lead Newcastle to greater heights. :)

Very impressive work John Smith will be very useful.

Archived