Bizarre reaction to my choice of captain.

As AC Milan boss I just signed Angelo Palombo in the pre-season and then appointed him captain (he has 20 for influence).

After doing so, my entire squad is unhappy, believing that they were a better candidate.

I dont get it. I can only assume it's because he has only just arrived at the club, but i would have expected that to matter little given his influence, reputation, ability and international status.

Thoughts?

As AC Milan boss I just signed Angelo Palombo in the pre-season and then appointed him captain (he has 20 for influence).

After doing so, my entire squad is unhappy, believing that they were a better candidate.

I dont get it. I can only assume it's because he has only just arrived at the club, but i would have expected that to matter little given his influence, reputation, ability and international status.

Thoughts?

I bought Palombo for Man Utd and then appointed him captain, and although a couple of people considered themselves better candidates, a few others expressed their happiness at the appointment.

Is it possibly because he's from a rival club or something?

It's simply because he's a new signing, and there will have been other candidates at your club who have been there a lot longer than him.

The players will have felt them more deserving, even if they had a lower influence rating.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

It's simply because he's a new signing, and there will have been other candidates at your club who have been there a lot longer than him.

The players will have felt them more deserving, even if they had a lower influence rating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly it. I did the same playing in Spain and a warning box appears explaining that changing captains could cause problems - and to simply add my new captain's name to the 'Captain's List' in tactics.

Then when you play your new player and not the previous one - he will take over each game. The next season you can make him captain - no problem.

in my first ever fm08 game, Pablo (athletico madrid) had been captain for the first season, and after being link with bigger clubs in the summer, he became very "Unh", which drove half the squad against him. i made Barzagli captain, who i'd just bought in anticipation of bids for Pablo (which never came), and the only "Unh" was Pablo, which disappeared within a month. every other player was happy with the new appointment. that was 8.0.0, mind.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ackter:

The players will have felt them more deserving, even if they had a lower influence rating. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Players don't know what their influence ratings are. They just have egos. Equally, they won't know what a newcomer's stats are either, unless he's already got a high rep, which I don't think your chap does; I wouldn't have heard of him without FM.

Similarly they don't know what their finishing or passing stats are, hence why big-name players bitch that they "believe they should be a first team regular" when there are clearly better players in front of them.

Leave them alone, and after a couple of successful games with him as captain - or the next major press statement you make - their unhappiness will go away.

Agree with backpackant.

I'm managing Northampton Town (for my sins), now into 2011 and replaced my existing captain at the start of this season with a new signing and 80% of the team were very upset with the decision. I was a little concerned but after a slow-ish start (more draws than you can shake a stick at) we are now in the playoffs and on course for a good finish. All players are happy and more pre-occupied with the high bonus being dangled in front of them if they can challenge for promotion.

So I wouldn't take this too literally, unless anybody has experienced different?

And, as the second poster suggests, loyalty and club experience.

There's also other factors which I think you should take into account, such as how they perform in big matches (if your captain vanishes like Riquelme, would that be good for the rest of the team?), how injury prone they are (is there any point in making someone a captain knowing they'd be lucky to play half the matches?), consistency, temperament and professionalism. Of course, these are all hidden attributes, but your staff should all be able to give you opinions on him and they'll find the more serious ones.

I just had a complete opposite experience. I appointed a new captain and about 90% of the team are very happy. The new captain does have 20 influence, high teamwork, high workrate, high determination, high decision making. He's been in my club since 17.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulHartman71:

I'm sure AC Milan would be annoyed if say, Flamini was appointed captain. Not on leadership or anything but he's only just joined the team, and to make him captain would be a bit weird. I can understand with the 20 influence though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a great point. Make sure that whoever you want to appoint as captain has played with the club for at least one season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ^Goose^:

I can only assume it's because he has only just arrived at the club </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactley.

i dont appoint purely on influence. i always make a central defender, central midfielder (non-attacking) or rarely a goalkeeper as captain, mainly cos that makes my defence more organised. at the moment kolo toure is my captain with cesc fabregas vice-captain

Archived