FM2009: Official South American Football Thread

lawd

Overview

If you are one of the many people having a hard time deciding on who to be perhaps this is the place for you. Many years ago, in the days of Champ Man, I was so bored and frusrated with European management that I decided to have a shot at a non-European league, I ended up in Argentina taking over Boca Juniors and enjoying it so much that since then it has always been my first save game, and in general managing in South America, be it Brazil, Argentina, Mexico etc, is challenging and fun. Why you may ask? for many reasons really, ie in Argentina you win 2 league titles over a 38 game season, 1 for the Apertura (open season) and one for the Clausura (close season) so you won't have the drag of 38 games and a bad run of 3-4 may lose you the title. The talent pool is excellent with lots of fantastic players coming through especially from Brazil. There are 2 continental competitions the Copa Sudamericana and the Copa Libertadores, so a lot to play for all in all.

So if you fancy a crack at any of the leagues in SA then this is the place to post your team, results, signings and queries.

The Clubs

South America has a rich history and some fantastic clubs, a few you may consider are-

Boca Juniors

Club Atlético Boca Juniors, known also as Boca Juniors or simply Boca, is a popular Argentine sports clubs, best known for its football team. Its home base is the neighbourhood of La Boca, in Buenos Aires, and their home field is Estadio Alberto J. Armando, better known as (La Bombonera). They are the reigning holders of the Recopa Sudamericana title. Their main rival is River Plate, with whom they contest the Superclásico.

Boca has won a record 18 international titles, equal to A.C. Milan. Their haul includes six Copa Libertadores, four Recopa Sudamericana, three world club titles (Intercontinental Cup), two Copa Sudamericana, one Copa Oro, one Supercopa Sudamericana, and one Supercopa Masters. Domestically, the club has won 23 national championships, second only to River Plate.

The club is a permanent fixture in the IFFHS Club World Ranking top 25, Boca is currently ranked 3rd and has reached the top position of the monthly ranking 6 times (mostly during coach Carlos Bianchi's tenure).

My personal team, a huge club with players like Riquelme and Palermo, and fans such as Diego Maradona. Boca is the Biggest club in Argentina and has a huge folowing of the most fanatical fans, the signiture Blue and Yellow of Los Bosteros is easily one of the most recognisable strips in football, its colours coming from the colours of the first ship to sail into the harbours flag which turned out to be swedish, its number 10 shirt has become the thing of legend.

Diego Maradona, worlds greatest player (aruguably) in the Blue and Yellow of Boca.

maradonab.jpg

Stadium

The Estadio Alberto J. Armando, or La Bombonera (chocolate box) as it is known is one of the more intimidating places to play football. Its enclosed almost claustrophobic feel heightens the already intense atmosphere. Filled up it wil hold 57, 395 fans.

bcastadium.jpg

More info follow; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Atl%C3%A9tico_Boca_Juniors#Professional_Era_.281931-present.29 a link if you want to ind out more.

River Plate

Boooooooooooo, the arch rivals of Boca, when the two meet it is the biggest derby on the planet. Club Atlético River Plate, known also as River Plate or simply River, is an Argentine sports club best known for its football team, established in 1901. The club is based in the Buenos Aires neighborhood of Núñez, and play at the Estadio Monumental Antonio Vespucio Liberti. River is the ninth football club in the All-Time Club World Ranking and the first in America, according to the International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS) The club is currently ranked as the 11th best in the world and has been ranked as the best football club in the world six times in the monthly IFHS club world ranking, the last time being in October 1993.

"River Plate" is sometimes used as the English name for the Río de la Plata, the river on which Buenos Aires sits. It is believed that, in the club's early days, one of the founders (Martínez) observed sailors playing impromptu football games in the port of Buenos Aires next to crates marked "The River Plate", hence the club name.

River has always been one of the most important teams of South America. They have combined to win 38 official tournaments which includes 33 Argentine League titles, 2 Copa Libertadores, a Supercopa in 1997 and an Intercontinental title in 1986. In 1986 River Plate fans had the distinction of watching River win the league title, Copa Libertadores, Interamerican Cup, Intercontinental Cup, as well as Argentina's triumph in the 1986 FIFA World Cup.

River are (sadly) Argentina's most succesful domestic team boasting many titles, the calibre of player that seems to be churned out by River's excellent youth set up is staggering, Aimar, Saviola, Crespo, Mario Kempes, Batistuta, Ariel Ortega, Ayala, even a young Alfredo Di Stefano were all taught through La Máquina philosophy.

Stadium

El Monumental is River's home stadium in the Núñez neighborhood of Buenos Aires. With a capacity of 65,645, the stadium is also used in matches for the Argentina national football team. It is as open and expansive as La Bombonera is closed and tight, a perfect metaphor for rivers expansive style.

riverstadium.jpg

More infohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_Atl%C3%A9tico_River_Plate

Fluminense

One of Brazils big boys, Fluminense Football Club is a sports club based in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It was founded on July 21, 1902. The word Fluminense derives from Latin flumen, "river", rio in Portuguese. It is also the name for a native of the state of Rio de Janeiro.

Football is the most heralded sport among fans and management. Fluminense has won the Copa Rio International in 1952, national championship, in 1970 and 1984. The club also won the Brazil Cup in 2007, and won two Rio-São Paulo Tournaments, the major football competition in Brazil before a national league was formed. Fluminense is also the record holder for Rio de Janeiro State Championship (known as Campeonato Carioca) 30 titles.

Fluminense is, together with Botafogo, Vasco da Gama and Flamengo, one of the four major football clubs of the city. Other noteworthy clubs in Rio include Bangu, América, Americano and Duque de Caxias. More infohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluminense_Football_Club

Flamengo

Clube de Regatas do Flamengo is a Brazilian multisport club located in Rio de Janeiro.

Despite not being the club's official name, Flamengo has become the term used by most to refer not just to the football team, but also the entire sporting association. Other nicknames used by fans include "Fla", "Mengo", and "Mengão" (which means Big Mengo), as well descriptions of the club's official colors, rubro-negro, which translates to "the scarlet-blacks" or "the scarlet and black."

Flamengo's football/soccer team --the most popular club in Brazil with an estimated 35 million supporters -- placed 9th in FIFA Clubs of the 20th Century.

The club has been sponsored by Petrobras since 1984, the longest single sponsorship in Brazilian football.[1]

The Vulture is the mascot of the club.

Legends include the mighty zico.

Stadium

Flamengo's home stadium is nominally the José Bastos Padilha Stadium (also known as Gávea Stadium), which was inaugurated on September 4, 1938 and has a capacity of 8,000 fans. Lately Gávea Stadium has being used only as the first team's traning ground. Most games, however, are played in Maracanã Stadium, considered by the supporters as the real Flamengo's home ground.

Maracanã was vital in the incredible 2007 Brazilian Série A Flamengo comeback, winning almost all the matches played in the Stadium, helping the club rise from the relegation zone to finish in third place securing a place in the Copa Libertadores 2008. The Stadium held the 2007 Brazilian Série A attandence's records, with 87.895 fans against Atlético Paranaense and average attandence of 44.719 fans per match, which was ahead of any of the teams in the Brazilian Série A.

flamengostadium.jpg

There are of course countless others, Chivas and America(mex) who are not South American boast rich histories and a good challenge.

Also special note to Internacional (Hopey's thread will give sufficent info and is excellent), and Gremio (skillymalinky's thread will give you info and is again excellent).

So if you fancy a change and a warmer climate, and the chance to uncover some real gems, and the challenge of staving off Europes elite to keep a hold of the next Messi or Kaka, whilst managing a wag bill of a few hundred thousand, at best, and a transfer budget under 10 mil give it ago( usually under 5 reallylo), you may enjoy it more then you think.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd do a quick update on how I'm fairing.

I started with Boca as ever and somehow managed to persuade Veron to come to me, and Lucas Biglia. (Verin and Riquelme rock in the same team)

My season is going well i'm 5 games in with 5 wins, though sadly palacio wnt out for 3 months in pre season, palermo is injured every game he plays, and riquelme just went out for a month :-(.

Does anyoe know some good right backs, to replace Ibarra? they need to be the brazilian type, ie good crossing etc as they provide my width.

Just three quick notes: :D

- Mexico is not in South America

- It's Fluminense, not Fluminese

- It's Apertura tournament, not Apatura

As a Brazilian, I generally find Euro leagues are a little boring as there is way too much money and you can sign almost everyone sooner or later. South America is far more interesting as the gap between the best clubs and the others isn't so big and the competitions are more interesting.

And shame on you for not mentioning Flamengo, the most popular club in Brazil (and perhaps in the World), which also happens to be the team I support! :D

Can anyone recommend any decent strikers for Sao Paulo

Just going into the First Division half of the season after this shocking season in the State Championship!!

eh.jpg

How can you not lose a game and only concede 6, and not come in the top 4 at least!

...And, yes, it is my tactics, ;)

I've seen Flamengo playing. Decent fans, even if htey can't quite fill up that particular stadium. ;)

And Palmeiras rawk. :p

I'd suggest going for one of the Brazilian big sides, Palmeiras being my favourite, or River or Boca. Had some superb games with River in previous FMs. I do find that Argentina never seems to produce as much talent in game as it does in the real world though. :/

Shows how much I know, I never even knew they were in the 2nd division lol. I have tried to play as ADESG before as I had a great game with them on FM07 but its just too hard, they only have 6 players and are already a couple of £100 over the wage budget, pity as I really enjoyed being them.

Might give Corinthians a go its them or Cruzeiro they seem to have a team with lots of potential, theres lots of -8 PA players in their side. Although keeping most of the players will be hard to do I would have thought.

Can you reccomend me the best south american youngsters?

just send your scouts there, if you have good jpa attribute then they will always find the best, i have found after a couple of seasons, a few quality regens have come from south america, just getting work permits for them sometimes :(

Been playing with Cruzeiro EC (my favourite team of South America)

I can really suggest plying them. They got lots of talent, Ramires, Guilherme and Fabrícío !!!!!

And also very important to mention, they got the Cocain Baron of Football Ecuadorean Giovanny Espinoza in defense.

That names should apear in a great gangster novel.

Espinoza and Sorin acts as fathers for the rest of the team. Very young team !!

Have FUN

S. America is totally fun to play in FM, though a few countries are missing :( I often play in Argentina or Columbia. Right now am enjoying a game with Atletico Tucaman in Argentina.

There are plenty of free or cheap players to be snapped up all across S.America, which makes getting started with a lower division team fairly straightforward. Finances can be tough, but this is fairly balanced by inexpensive talent. Brazil can be a little intimidating if you're just getting into S.America. Chile and to some extent Uruguay can feel a little too small.

Hey guys, anyone had a game as Internacional? Im giving it a crack at the moment and they got a pretty good side. Decent enough first team, great youth. The stadium and faciliteis are top notch. Managed to raise 3.8m for transfers and picked up a few signings. Leonardo from Ajax, Leonardo from Shakhtar, Mota from Seongnam, Rodrigo Alvim, new first choice LB was only 40k, and a guy Aguirregaray from Pnarol who looks the good at right back. The side starts with Nilmar and Andres d'Alessandro so goals shouldn't be an issue.

Cash, is the problem though, leaking cash fast despite lowering the wage bill. The no season ticket holders seems to be a killer and the $8 admission fee doesnt exactly help..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Leagues in South America is a good way to enjoy the game and to find motivation to play. You won't destroy your team with new players after every season. There's no big money to spend here so don't expect any big signings.

Take over a team in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Peru or Uruguay and start your challenge. Before you start to play take your time to find out everyting about your team. Who is the best player? Any prospects? Captain? Rivals? Search information on the Internet and see videos.

My team is the classic Colo Colo in the Chilean League. It has won a record number of national titles and is the only Chilean team to have won the Copa Libertadores de América. Also has a 45,953 capacity stadium. Almost no money to spend.

No 0-0 games here.. With high tempo and a full out attacking tactic we are creating a lot of goals.

Enjoy your game!

• 2 weeks later...

I know that Mexico is in North America but i havent found a thread to post about it so i will try here???? :)

Started a game with America (mex) couple of days ago and so far so good came top of the First division (open) and gonna play the final when i get home from work!!

but jesus what a league to manage in!!! quality!!

Another great game to play in south America, is the Colombian league I tried it out and I was really pleased how the football was on Fm. It was extremely attacking and most of my games resulted in at least 4 goals a game.

There is also some sick youth in Colombia; Marco Pérez, Santiago Tréllez and of course Sherman Cardenas.

If people like Brazilian football I reccomend you try a game in Colombia:D

I'm all over the place. :D I have too many different saves on the go tbh. Cant get stuck into one for some reason.

Inter lost 3-2 (2-2, 1-0) in the final of the Gaucho State to Gremio (who I have in the next cup round)

I just won the Minas State 4-0 over Athletico Mineiro :cool: I'm with you HoPeY, I'm loving Brazil.

I'm loving Brazilian regens too. You don't have to buy anyone tbf :thup:

I'm only eight games in to the Gaucho State Championship, played 8; won 8. Playing some really good stuff, I like the idea of the regions playing a regional championship at the start. My best result to date; Nilmar <3

Inter don't have much money at the start and have a lot of players, so I'm trying to get rid of my deadwood, got some quality talents and players though.

One thing that bugs me the most at the moment is every player has a minimum fee release clause and my best players are being scouted by top European clubs, luckily the European window has closed for now.

My first batch of newgens look pretty promising. :thup:

Not my highest score but by far my best result was the derby. Destroyed a top team.

Just started the National Division with a draw. At home to Flamengo...meh

The only troubling team I have played in the Gaucho state at the moment was Juventude who are minor rivals to me. They didn’t really cause me much concern, except in one game Mendes scored a 35 yard curling strike; wonder goal. :eek:

I'm predicted to finish 9th in the first division, I'm hoping for a 5-7th spot, but its super competitive so we will see. What formation are you using? I see 3-5-2 variants and 4-2-2-2 are the most common. Personally I'm playing a 4-3-3 which can turn into a 4-2-2-2 if I need to be more defensive.

Good result by the way. :thup:

I don't know who made the tactics I'm using but there's a file of six. Each one used for different purposes (Overload, Control, Attack Home, Attack Away, Counter, Defensive) and they're working very well. According to my overview I am on 2.6 goals a game and 0.3 conceded :thup:

I used "Attack Home" against a full strength Boca in a pre season friendly and beat them 3-1 so if you want them I'll find them :thup:

Two down on me Spike. :cool:

I'll catch up don't worry.

It was more to highlight Alex's class with a double hat-trick :cool:

Not hiding, just discussing wider South America football which I can't do naturally in the Inter thread. Your only four games in? Thought you were further than that Spike.

I didn't say you were hiding, just an observation :p

No I wanted to finish my Lyon season before I went any further, which I have now done.

Looks like they play quite a bit of football in Brazil. You obviously start with Gaucho State Championship, before going into the normal league. Then you've got the Copa Libertadores :eek:

Looks like they play quite a bit of football in Brazil. You obviously start with Gaucho State Championship, before going into the normal league. Then you've got the Copa Libertadores :eek:

As-well as the Brazilian cup, I think there is one more competition as-well with all that, good stuff. Looking forward to playing Grêmio soon. :cool:

Does anyone know if or when the window closes for transfers?

As-well as the Brazilian cup, I think there is one more competition as-well with all that, good stuff. Looking forward to playing Grêmio soon. :cool:

Does anyone know if or when the window closes for transfers?

Not sure, just look at the rules on the Brazilian League screen & it should say in there :thup:

Archived