Is it me? Is it the game?

Look, I'm a CM/FM veteran. I've been playing almost all versions since the old CM Italy back in the nineties.

I usually have one or two good runs each year. Yes, I had a few issues when the bars were removed, but I eventually got a good save (4 seasons on Sporting Lisbon, 2 championships, and a change to Arsenal). For once or twice, I started unemployed, and crawled my way to a top league title contender in 5 seasons time. Last year, I opted to play the FMC/FMT version, and it was fine (good run with Sporting again). Also, I usually start with the experience on the minimum, to keep it "real". And I have read some guides, and know the basics of tactics and man management.

But FM 2016 is a nightmare to me...

I dunno what I'm doing wrong. No matter how many tactics I develop, I'm being crushed. Only survived a season once, on Boavista, and I was sacked 5 games into season 2 (my bad, too many new players bought). Sure, BFC aren't the easiest club, but man... I don't see any progress. On a Everton save on FMT I was demolished (fired on matchday 14, after just 1 win, 4 draws). Also, I find the game to be too random (on a FMT save with Sporting, I won 4-0 against Boavista. Realoaded 2x, used same players and tactics, and got 2 0-0 draws out of it!).

So, is it just me, or is the game harder this year? On what level the past manager experience matter in the game? By starting at amateur level, am I making it that much harder to me? I know I'm not THAT noob.

It's destroying me. The game is always on my mind now, as I don't know what could I be doing wrong.

Gonna try a fresh save with Celta Vigo on FMT, to see if things go smoother. But man... this is driving me crazy.

As always, the tactics and training forums are the place to spend some time...

A lot of people think, myself included, that they don't need to learn anything, they've been playing it forever and know how everything works..

In this version in particular, the nuances of the tactical system are pretty hard to grab hold of, and it's always, ALWAYS worth spending time in the tactics forum reading how others are getting on, and how everyone in there has basically pooled knowledge and got to grips with it...

Suggest you and everyone else does the same..

I would normally be asking what your tactics are, but it's probably easier and better if you post a detailed explanation in the tactics forum where we can knock heads together and sort it all out :)

The short answer is that, the game is harder for sure, but it's a hell of a lot easier when you get to grips with things again.

No worries, I know the game is frustrating as hell sometimes and a lot of the time people don't like being told to go check out guides etc, but it's honestly the best thing..

Just start reading the stickied posts and some of the more active threads and try things as you go, it'll all click at some point and you'll be back to making any tactic and formation you want.

Many other FM veterans have stated the same, and yes it seems harder. Welshace describes it pretty well and I have also (for the first time in years) visited the t&t forum.

One thing I would like to add that might get you frustrated is this:

Made a trial and error save. Put knowledge together from t&t and after a while started winning consistently.. BUT, you have to tweak your tactic every now and then.. So don't think that everything you had is falling apart, small tweaks will do and you're back on track!

Hardest thing about this version is to understand what the developers had in mind with the different tactic tweaks. They aren't always as straight forward as you think. Therefore t&t is the best solution!

Good luck!

Seems like form and morale and maybe condition, define the outcome more than tactics to a degree, also playing a settled 11 helps alot. I had a everton save was going throuhh a bad patch noticed Jags was not getting above 6.9 for last 5 games switched him for Galloway and the good times rolled again, sometimes i guess your only as strong as your weakest link.

Seems like form and morale and maybe condition, define the outcome more than tactics to a degree, also playing a settled 11 helps alot. I had a everton save was going throuhh a bad patch noticed Jags was not getting above 6.9 for last 5 games switched him for Galloway and the good times rolled again, sometimes i guess your only as strong as your weakest link.

Not at all. Player quality and tactics are the big factors in matches.

Also a settled 11 doesn't necessarily help. I'm top of the EPL in November, and I regularly rotate my squad, having started 25 different players already this season. I've only lost one game in the league this season and have made it to through to all the following rounds in the various cups.

We still get away with a lot in-game that we wouldn't IRL. In FM, there's only first team squad gelling, not first elevens. We can make role changes etc with no penalty either.

We still get away with a lot in-game that we wouldn't IRL. In FM, there's only first team squad gelling, not first elevens. We can make role changes etc with no penalty either.

For sure.... I would really like to see a gelling between your "favored starting 11" as well as a wider 25 man squad gelling. For example, IRL one would expect Leicester City to have a pretty high first 11 gelling value.

I think it would also be interesting to see how it work for traditional partnerships, e.g. the two CBs or a FB and a winger. For example, when Everton had both Baines and Pienaar down the left they were practically unstoppable at times, it was like they read each others mind. Another example from modern day could be Kane and Alli through the middle for Spurs. But I imagine this would be difficult to make happen, not too sure what mechanics the game could use other than the number of games played and perhaps similar mental attributes or personality as a measure of how similar the two players think and would combine.

Which is not satisfying and hopefully does change in future versions. You should get an advantage if you always play the same 11 players, of course you will also see a huge dip in cohesion if one of those players gets injured and you have to play one of the backup players. As much as rotating a lot will hurt your performance in a particular match but ensures that a lot of players can play together in case of injury or just because you need some tactical flexibility. It is one of the biggest philosophical questions in real life managing (e.g. Mourinho vs Guardiola) and should work likewise in FM.

• 2 weeks later...

Well started a saved with Everton, payed more attention to opponent stats, tried to build a balanced side. Was consistent until February, on 6th for most of the season. Then my team cracked. Completely. Until the end of the season, just 2 wins, finished on 12th. Could resist the big clubs sell apeal for most of the first season (only lost Baines), but on the transfer window, I couldn't hold Stones, Deulofeu, Lukaku and McCarthy. Tactically, I reduced the shouts and gonna let the team play a bit more loose. Spended big on Berahino, Sven Bender, Fellaini, Jay Rodriguez and Winston Reid. Lost most of the gel of the team, and the board gave me 5 games to win 8 points, or I'm sacked. Wish me luck...

I'm a long term fan too. Just bought the game yesterday. Wasnt going to bother cos Ive seriously lost faith, didnt buy it at all last year, but I think watching leicester inspired me to give it another go :). I'm starting to think I should have skipped this year too.

It does seem harder. First go managing lower leagues got sacked after 3 months. Dont remember that ever happening. Studying the ME doesnt seem to help as it seems completely unlinked to your tactics. It seems theres either a right way to play, or every other way which is wrong. Having 1 up front seems to be the secret this year as having 2 up front means they are both marked by central defenders but only one up front means he can stand between the two defenders unmarked pretty much. Since doing that never looked back.

Is the worst UI in history too. I know they got to change and move stuff around cos they want it to look like a new game, but it seems this year the idea was to just irritate people. maybe with the idea to make it better next year so we can compliment the improvements :).

For sure.... I would really like to see a gelling between your "favored starting 11" as well as a wider 25 man squad gelling. For example, IRL one would expect Leicester City to have a pretty high first 11 gelling value.

I think it would also be interesting to see how it work for traditional partnerships, e.g. the two CBs or a FB and a winger. For example, when Everton had both Baines and Pienaar down the left they were practically unstoppable at times, it was like they read each others mind. Another example from modern day could be Kane and Alli through the middle for Spurs. But I imagine this would be difficult to make happen, not too sure what mechanics the game could use other than the number of games played and perhaps similar mental attributes or personality as a measure of how similar the two players think and would combine.

There was an older game, maybe 10 years ago that had this feature. Can't remember which one though, had pics of players main personalities and a squad team work bonus list.

Definitely made for an interesting feature, was quite simply designed and tallied the bonuses together to make an overall team bonus figure if I remember rightly

There's also illogical stuff. First season, with worse players, I do better in Champions League (First KO round), than in the 2. season. In the 2., I finish last in the group.

There's also illogical stuff. First season, with worse players, I do better in Champions League, than in the 2. season. In the 2., I finish last.

Not sure how that is illogical? Teams under-estimated you, so they leave space for you to exploit. With a better team (and a rise in rep) you're taken more seriously so you need to work harder to find space.

Not sure how that is illogical? Teams under-estimated you, so they leave space for you to exploit. With a better team (and a rise in rep) you're taken more seriously so you need to work harder to find space.

I could score against opposition defenses. It's my defense that tanked. I had brought in defenders of better quality, and also an excellent DM, and yet I got wrecked. Strangely, on set pieces, but in general, my defense did worse. It wasn't an issue in the first season. Tactics remained pretty much the same.

I could score against opposition defenses. It's my defense that tanked. I had brought in defenders of better quality, and also an excellent DM, and yet I got wrecked. Strangely, on set pieces, but in general, my defense did worse. It wasn't an issue in the first season. Tactics remained pretty much the same.

New people not gelling yet? Could be many reasons. Far from illogical though.

New people not gelling yet? Could be many reasons. Far from illogical though.

One of my signings arrived in winter of the previous season. Sven Bender arrived the summer after. I am doing fine in the league, but a tactic that seems sensible got shredded in the CL.

I think its mostly down to morale, have a draw and a loss in a row, then a player complains that he isnt playing enough, fall into the trap of picking a wrong option cos the one you wanted doesnt exist, and suddenly they decide to lose every game.

Not being that good at the morale mini game which is now pretty much the main game and players and tactics are the mini game.. I remember now why I stopped playing this :)

You have faith,

you have faith

you have faith,

6.5 I want to see more from you

you have faith

you have faith

you have faith

you have faith

you have faith

you have a 7.5 so you have faith

3 subs you have faith

you have faith,

you have faith,

every player.

I pressed you have faith a lot I think I need a few good lucks so the you have faith doesnt lose its power, google if you have faith even works this year. Ah, under 6.5 is I want to see more, score a goal = you have faith, 7.5 = happy,

I have you have faithed 5 times need to change it twice so you have faith doesnt run out. Whoops, forgot the teamtalk that could cost me my job.

Why you upset? I promised to play you? No I never, but if I did it was sarcasm, youre hopeless, I didnt pick you cos you played terrible in the games you did, what do you need to improve?, stop making 7 mistakes a game, but that isnt an option so head better then, hmmm, it seems either the option is to play you or sell you cos I left you out for 4 games. I'll sell you then, now the whole team is upset.

Stick the whole team in the reserves to boost morale back up with a win, winning streak again.

I'm really struggling this year too after being a CM/FM player for decades and always being able to guide a side steadily towards success. In FM2016 my first job I failed to win a single match after taking over a team predicted to finish 5th. Got sacked on the next job too after woefully underperforming, before finally taking a team up one division into Ligue 2 where we have been stuck for 8 seasons so far! I've spent forever reading the tactics forum but nothing seems to work well. Last season a diamond formation appeared to finally be the answer but our form fell to pieces at the crucial moment (and in FMC you can't hold a team meeting when you like to restore morale). Strangely in all the last few seasons my players have been the stand-out players in the division with excellent average ratings. Don't get me wrong, I do like a challenge, but it's reaching the point where its not much fun any more to keep enduring groundhog season.

Archived