A very infuriating cycle is emerging in my team and I don't like it

Step one. We are favourites to win a match.

step two. I give the team talk of a life time, they love it.

step three. within 10mins we go anywhere between 1 to 3-0 up.

step four. in the space of 15mins, the opposition instantly wipe out the lead usually before the half is over.

step five. I tell the players how awful they are, they love it.

Step six. they then proceed to not do anything useful in the second half and either go on to lose, tie or scrape a win.

step seven. I tell them how much they suck, they love it.

step eight some e-jit from my team tells the press about my outburst

repeat step one.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong...

Every time I set my training to defence, team harmony starts to slip and people start misbehaving.

Anyway to defend against complacency?

Mistakes are surely made in steps 4 and 5. If Im 3-0 up in 10 mins, I can't wait to make changes to kill the game. And if I didn't make the changes and the other side comes back, I wouldn't have a go at the team, I'd be having a quiet word to myself and encouraging the team. As for the e-jits having hissy fits, it tells me you're not getting team talks right. I never have a go at the lads after a win. By all means don't sugar coat a win you've scraped when you were heavy favourites but don't go to the other extreme either. Good luck.

I tried switching to a very defensive mind set, it just encourages the opposition. One match we were 4-1 up after 60mins by 70 it was 4-2 I went as defensive as possible but every highlight from then on was just a goal for the opposition, we lost 5-4.

My question is: How? How does it always happen? I can understand ones or twice not every 2 in 3 matches.

I understand your pain mate, I had it for some time and still get it in some games but it is a rarity not the norm like what you are mentioning. I realised my problem was in that I never did anything to deal with how the game was going, I just sat there and hoped my players would figure it all out. Despite having the best players, I did have to make sure I managed them each game. I would just like to enquire as to whether you are constantly making tactical tweaks to take advantage of specific weaknesses and dealing with your current teams weaknesses? By the way I don't mean pre-match tactical changes, I am talking during the match. I personally don't make too many pre-match tactical changes because I believe in my strategy and I don't feel I should change for the AI, I want the AI (or others) adapt to me. So I balance addressing weaknesses in my team and their team in the measure that is suitable for the game.

I tried switching to a very defensive mind set, it just encourages the opposition. One match we were 4-1 up after 60mins by 70 it was 4-2 I went as defensive as possible but every highlight from then on was just a goal for the opposition, we lost 5-4.

My question is: How? How does it always happen? I can understand ones or twice not every 2 in 3 matches.

I never go very defensive until the last 4 or 5 minutes and just 1 goal up as I don't want the ball too much in my last third for half an hour as its only a matter of time when they'll score. If Im 4-1 up with half an hour to play, I'd probably have it on standard and set instructions I feel are appropriate for how the game feels it going to see out the result.

okay, here's an example. I am playing a match against a team that is 5-4-1 so I go for an attacking 4-4-2. normally I play it as standard/structured but with this defensive formation, I figured we could be a bit more aggressive. after 10 mins, we are about 11 shots taken, 7 on target 3 goals.

after 25 mins, 3-1 30 3-2 at this point it's 2 shots, 2 on target 2 goals.

I switch to defensive and increase closing down, next highlight 4 shots, 3 on target 3 goals 3-3 at half time. I chastise them for losing the lead and go back to the original formation.

second half, no highlights. end of match.

in the space of 15mins, the opposition instantly wipe out the lead usually before the half is over.

Are you making any changes when you noticed the opposition become more attacking? In matches like this you have to put yourself in the opposition's shoes and think what would they do. I can tell you now, if I go 3-0 down early on in a match, something has to be done. So as a manager you have to then prepare for that.

I tried switching to a very defensive mind set, it just encourages the opposition.

Going to a very defensive mindset won't help at all. You don't want to completely surrender all possession, you just want to take a more cautious approach and stay organised. If it was me I'd switch to the Standard mentality and switch up my player's roles so that I can be organised and still have something to do with the ball.

Before you change formation, did you understand how those goals were conceded? At the very least if you provide that to people here they can help you. Otherwise it is very hard for people here to understand how to give you the right advice other than throwing ideas around...

in some games it's usually set pieces, I've changed my training to counter that.

But in most it's just a straight forward rush on goal during a counter attack with defenders caught sleeping and goalkeepers out of position.

1 example. defender has no one around him, ball is coming towards his head, he completely misses it. it goes to the right of the penalty box closer to the corner flag than the goal and the striker rushes on to it. defender recovers to stand in front of him and even gets support from a team mate. striker with nowhere to go shoots the goalkeeper is out of position and the ball goes it.

second example. defender is alone, all he has to do is kick to clear, he mis-kicks to a striker who runs and shoots, goal keeper fumbles and was poorly placed to begin with and we conceed.

3rd example. a cross comes in to no strikers, 2 defenders are alone with the ball at the back post, one tries to clear, hits the other and goes in.

4th example scramble in the box. Defender has the ball and is about clear, striker fouls him, steals and shoots.

5th example route one goal (this happens often)

I found that when I made major changes to my set pieces I noticed a dramatic improvement. Look at this tactics set pieces and read other articles/guides/posts on set pieces and you will find them very useful with FM15.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/414961-433-Hulk-Smash-for-15.2.1-Lethal-going-forward-Tested-and-works-fantastic

I am mostly using this blokes set pieces with some slight modifications. I went on a 28 game winning streak due to this and a few other minor tactical tweaks, but I saw significant increasing in set piece goals and defense of set pieces.

In regards, to dealing with the poor defending, it seems ball control is an issue, try running ball control training for a month or two. Secondly not knowing your tactics but you may find using a higher line, closing down less (only on your central defenders as Player Instructions!) and trying a Sweeper Keeper might help deal with any potential threats coming from direct styles of play. You may need to consider a ball playing defender to help control that ball instead of hoofing it away for them to do it all over again...

I always take the team talks based on their performances, ie: if the goals were all lucky ones and we are marginally ahead but loosing out on posession etc I tell them I ain't happy because possession is our game and we are loosing the key battles despite the score.

This in my experience 95% of the time keeps a win or at least gets me a draw at the very minimum.

Tactics --> Analysis --> Last Match --> Team Talk Feedback
Whoa...my mind's blown. My team won a match that got them to the final of a comp that the board has been eager for ages. I congratulated them on the win and everyone went green...seems that was not the right team talk to give. wow. never knew about this. Thanks for the tip and the write up. I used to get nervous giving the complacency team talk but now I think I might be more forward with giving it.

If you are 3-0 up and suddenly switch to defensive that is going to invite pressure onto you as your team will take a step back and the opposition will come onto you and attack! I would either go attacking and try to score a few more and go for the jugular or if you do want to tighten up I would go with counter attack so if you win the ball back you can look to exploit the gaps they will leave going gung ho to try and come back into the game

I am frustrated with the same thing as well.

Currently 11-0-0 with Bradford in L1 (season 2), I am still irritated because I only win 1-0, 4-2, 2-1 and one 5-4. If they caught me on the break because I am playing an attacking tactic, that would have been okay because that is about taking risks and dealing with it. That is not what happens, though. I take control of the match and press them back, score a goal or two, playing well and the opposition hanging by the threads. Then, after I score, they flip to a more attacking tactic (even Overload the last 15 minutes) and it is almost humorous what happens next;

They more or less teleport from attacking positions to close down my players, throw themselves into tackles and fights like madmen. The speed with which they work defensively to regain possession would shame The Flash. A team that until I scored looked like they had more than enough with keeping up with me, suddenly takes over completely even though I also play an attacking tactic.

The resulting play looks very little like real football.

As far as I can tell from a week of playing FM15 it is all about throwing as many people as you possibly can forward as quickly as possible. That is what I and my friend both succeed with, and what the AI succeeds with whenever they do so. However, unlike us they start every match being reasonable, which of course leave them helpless to withstand our barrage... until they decide to do the same. Then it is a matter of non-tactical factors who wins, because it is not like I back down... it's the principle!

I hope that 15.3 more resembles real football.

Yep, something I've recently realised that Green/ Red reactions from team talks don't mean Good/Bad, it's quite important checking the team's body language especially when you feel you're cruising as your team will become complacent or uninterested

Someone linked me this which I've found a massive help:

http://www.guidetofootballmanager.com/match-day/team-talks/team-talk-guidelines

It's not totally lineal & has be tailored to your team but used as a guide it helps with keeping your team focused

If you are 3-0 up and suddenly switch to defensive that is going to invite pressure onto you as your team will take a step back and the opposition will come onto you and attack! I would either go attacking and try to score a few more and go for the jugular or if you do want to tighten up I would go with counter attack so if you win the ball back you can look to exploit the gaps they will leave going gung ho to try and come back into the game

100% this for me too. Going defensive will often invite massive amounts of pressure. Personally I Push Higher Up to push the opposite team back or will change a couple of (A) roles to (S) like a fullback or a winger. Retain Position, Play Narrower etc also help but I find dropping my line aids the opposition

I am frustrated with the same thing as well.

Currently 11-0-0 with Bradford in L1 (season 2), I am still irritated because I only win 1-0, 4-2, 2-1 and one 5-4. If they caught me on the break because I am playing an attacking tactic, that would have been okay because that is about taking risks and dealing with it. That is not what happens, though. I take control of the match and press them back, score a goal or two, playing well and the opposition hanging by the threads. Then, after I score, they flip to a more attacking tactic (even Overload the last 15 minutes) and it is almost humorous what happens next;

They more or less teleport from attacking positions to close down my players, throw themselves into tackles and fights like madmen. The speed with which they work defensively to regain possession would shame The Flash. A team that until I scored looked like they had more than enough with keeping up with me, suddenly takes over completely even though I also play an attacking tactic.

The resulting play looks very little like real football.

As far as I can tell from a week of playing FM15 it is all about throwing as many people as you possibly can forward as quickly as possible. That is what I and my friend both succeed with, and what the AI succeeds with whenever they do so. However, unlike us they start every match being reasonable, which of course leave them helpless to withstand our barrage... until they decide to do the same. Then it is a matter of non-tactical factors who wins, because it is not like I back down... it's the principle!

I hope that 15.3 more resembles real football.

That's not what happens in my game. I just won 3-1 away with a central defender in goal for 70 minutes (I never have a sub keeper on the bench). The AI managed 2 shots on target the whole time. It's not that the AI teams don't try to go gung ho on me when they're behind. They just can't because I don't let them. And no, I don't use a very attacking tactic. I play a slow possession game on counter mentality with the main emphasis being on rock solid defense.

Basically what you're doing is giving inputs that aren't realistic and then complaining that the game is producing football that doesn't resemble reality. Sure, attacking tactics overwhelm AI in this version far more effectively than they should but that doesn't mean you have to play this way to be successful.

That's not what happens in my game. I just won 3-1 away with a central defender in goal for 70 minutes (I never have a sub keeper on the bench). The AI managed 2 shots on target the whole time. It's not that the AI teams don't try to go gung ho on me when they're behind. They just can't because I don't let them. And no, I don't use a very attacking tactic. I play a slow possession game on counter mentality with the main emphasis being on rock solid defense.

Basically what you're doing is giving inputs that aren't realistic and then complaining that the game is producing football that doesn't resemble reality. Sure, attacking tactics overwhelm AI in this version far more effectively than they should but that doesn't mean you have to play this way to be successful.

Well, my input isn't that much more unrealistic than the AI's, right? Am I supposed to, when for instance leading 3-0, go defensive because the AI is going to become very dangerous once they go Overwhelm in order to catch up? How is -that- realistic? Why am I leading 3-0 if the AI could just wipe the floor with me at will? Because they let me? How is -that- realistic?

Gung-ho tactics are effective because there is no midfield defense in this ME, and there are two ways of having enough options in the box to score a goal; A) play an extremely attacking tactic that overwhelms the defense in the early phases of the attack, or B) play a slow, meticulous (counter-attacking) attacking game that moves enough people into the box in the late phases of the attack. I have never said that gung-ho is the only way to be successful. Only that on-the-ball decision-making is poor overall, so there are extremely many mistakes being made especially when there is little space to move in, which is an issue that is most prevalent when you build up the attacks patiently - like we are adviced to do when the opposition is defensive-minded.

The football becomes "ugly" because I refuse to change things up to stop the AI after being superior in every way for the first 75 minutes of the match. It is a matter of principle.

In FM14, I often changed things in the first 6-7 seasons, to be fair. That was before I had a team that had more quality than most of the teams I faced. It made sense that I would have to be more defensive against stronger teams, and it payed off doing so - since it was obvious that my efforts to take control of the match and dominate weren't successful. In FM15.2 (now), the strength of the opposition doesn't really matter as far as I can tell.

Well, my input isn't that much more unrealistic than the AI's, right? Am I supposed to, when for instance leading 3-0, go defensive because the AI is going to become very dangerous once they go Overwhelm in order to catch up? How is -that- realistic? Why am I leading 3-0 if the AI could just wipe the floor with me at will? Because they let me? How is -that- realistic?

As I said, the AI allows itself to be overwhelmed too easily. That is a problem acknowledged by SI. However, it only makes sense that they react at some point. The only reason they wipe the floor with you is because you let them. There are several ways to kill such attempts but expecting them to just roll over and die isn't one.

Gung-ho tactics are effective because there is no midfield defense in this ME, and there are two ways of having enough options in the box to score a goal; A) play an extremely attacking tactic that overwhelms the defense in the early phases of the attack, or B) play a slow, meticulous (counter-attacking) attacking game that moves enough people into the box in the late phases of the attack. I have never said that gung-ho is the only way to be successful. Only that on-the-ball decision-making is poor overall, so there are extremely many mistakes being made especially when there is little space to move in, which is an issue that is most prevalent when you build up the attacks patiently - like we are adviced to do when the opposition is defensive-minded.

Most of my games are midfield battles, ones that I regularly win because I stifle the oppositions build up. There's some bad decision making (particularly involving shooting, still) but there is also some brilliant build up that looks far more like football than any previous version ever has.

The football becomes "ugly" because I refuse to change things up to stop the AI after being superior in every way for the first 75 minutes of the match. It is a matter of principle.

Then that's your fault, not the game's. If your principle is to let the AI overwhelm you similarly to how you want to overwhelm them then the match will be a gung ho end to end battle involving terrible decision making and stupid mistakes.

Archived