Loaning or Training

• 2 weeks later...

What I do is keep them in my U18 till their 18. The very promising ones go into the U21. In the mean time I get them a mentor. When they have been at the club for 2 years I send them out on loan. With the 3+ star ones I tend to have 6 months at the club and 6 months on loan with the demand of First team/key player status.

Usually I'll train and tutor them for a year then loan them out untill I feel I can rotate them in the first time or give them the odd sub app , but on my current save I've been playing all the young 15-19 year olds with good potential in the first team and they've all done incredibly well and all of them are now first team players and they're still under 20

• 2 weeks later...

Can you give him playing time? If yes keep him, if you can't even get him like 10 games loan him out but always loan him to a side that has got comparable players to his CA or you are just wasting his potential

Can you give him playing time? If yes keep him, if you can't even get him like 10 games loan him out but always loan him to a side that has got comparable players to his CA or you are just wasting his potential

How important is the reputation of the club and/or their training facility status?

How important is the reputation of the club and/or their training facility status?

Game time in a good league is better than club rep and training facilities if loaning someone out for a short period of time i.e 3 months or less.

I'll always try and get him on the pitch from aout 18 onwards either at my team or a team/league where he is not a key player but will be a starter most of the time, (always good to have a kid with some competition for this place, but not someone leaps better). I've no idea if this will effect him in game but i prefer it.

A good example to try and emulate is the way Welbeck ws handled at United in his first few years. Even Sturridge as well.

I'll always try and get him on the pitch from aout 18 onwards either at my team or a team/league where he is not a key player but will be a starter most of the time, (always good to have a kid with some competition for this place, but not someone leaps better). I've no idea if this will effect him in game but i prefer it.

A good example to try and emulate is the way Welbeck ws handled at United in his first few years. Even Sturridge as well.

And then both were sold due to not been good enough :D

And then both were sold due to not been good enough :D

Damn!, but from a taking a player from reserves/fringes to first team premier league, they are a decent enough example. They were both hardly sold to a championship side for not making the grade or receeding in quality.

Both at top 4 teams and internationals, and both sold at a profit?

EDIT : Cleon, just reading you Ajax guide from above. Awesome stuff, i'm starting a new save athe weekend, i never really pay attention to much to kids that dont appear as wonderkids from the off, but your guide will be a great help as i try to get better at it.

Game time in a good league is better than club rep and training facilities if loaning someone out for a short period of time i.e 3 months or less.

But for an entire season the opposite applies then?

(Club Rep & Training Facilities are more important)

No game time is still the biggest factor but ideally the player should be loaned to a team that will play him constant rather than who has the best facilities. I still think it's pointless loaning players out though as you waste valuable training time, you cant tutor them, you can't mould them to be the player you need, you can't teach them ppm's. If he's slready got those then you should be playing him yourself instead of loaning him out.

No game time is still the biggest factor but ideally the player should be loaned to a team that will play him constant rather than who has the best facilities. I still think it's pointless loaning players out though as you waste valuable training time, you cant tutor them, you can't mould them to be the player you need, you can't teach them ppm's. If he's slready got those then you should be playing him yourself instead of loaning him out.

Agree completely but sometimes maybe down to mismanagement on my part :) that I end up with too many players so its maybe the younger guys who may be too old for the u19 rule possibly who are surplus to requirements ... maybe only for a season.

Maybe its down to not bringing in too many decent 15 & 16 year old ... just a smaller manageable number each season.

If I'm left with a situation where I'm having to choose between for example (as happened to me in the game) Giovinco who scored 25 goals as my back up DLF for the last 2 seasons .. or 19 year old Bonazzoli (who was too old to qualify as an U19 player) and had played well in maybe 10 cup games.

Giovinco will do the job now .. Bonazzolli will do a job eventually.

I'm just not he can do the same job as Giovinco can now (he is 30 in 2017/18) so I loan Bonazzoli out for a year.

Am I being short-sighted and not having faith that the younger guy with tutoring and training (he's had this since I bought him in 2014) is a better choice than an "established" player - albeit not a world class one.

It's worked for me so far ... but maybe from what you are saying it could work even better :)

The reason is due to how poor the AI is at developing players, players don't develop as good at AI managed clubs regardless of their rep, facilities, coaches and so on. It's one area of the game that is really poor. The AI will decide what the player needs to train and will train him that regardless of it being beneficial to him or not, it wastes CA. So when the player is older he might still be a very good player or worldclass but he can lack in the attributes you need or his attributes won't be as good as they should have been due to you loaning him out for a year. All the hard work you've done previously before loaning him out is all wasted and rather pointless if you are then loaning him out.

If you don't want the player to be the best player he can possibly be then loaning him out is fine. If you are into youth development though then you should never loan them out and waste valuable time as his match experience he gets won't outweigh the benefits of him staying at your club and you developing him on the attributes he actually needs and not wasting his CA points.

The reason is due to how poor the AI is at developing players, players don't develop as good at AI managed clubs regardless of their rep, facilities, coaches and so on. It's one area of the game that is really poor. The AI will decide what the player needs to train and will train him that regardless of it being beneficial to him or not, it wastes CA. So when the player is older he might still be a very good player or worldclass but he can lack in the attributes you need or his attributes won't be as good as they should have been due to you loaning him out for a year. All the hard work you've done previously before loaning him out is all wasted and rather pointless if you are then loaning him out.

If you don't want the player to be the best player he can possibly be then loaning him out is fine. If you are into youth development though then you should never loan them out and waste valuable time as his match experience he gets won't outweigh the benefits of him staying at your club and you developing him on the attributes he actually needs and not wasting his CA points.

Thanks for this - most of which I was unaware of.

Will see if I can utilise this when my current season ends as I've got about 10 players out on loan who are too old for the youth team.

Either they're good enough or they're not so it's decision time come the summer.

Maybe I need to have a bit more faith in youth and my coaches!!

Cheers Cleon

Thanks for this - most of which I was unaware of.

Will see if I can utilise this when my current season ends as I've got about 10 players out on loan who are too old for the youth team.

Either they're good enough or they're not so it's decision time come the summer.

Maybe I need to have a bit more faith in youth and my coaches!!

Cheers Cleon

To add on, I tend to use loans as a means of thinning the squad. I find it gamey to have just a squad of youth world-beaters or top talent. I like to have a mix of 50/50 prospects and some who absolutely won't get anywhere near the first team. Some of these, particularly the crap ones or the ones I identify as no longer progressing to my expectations, I loan out then release or sell for profit.

Usually only loan out young players I am pretty sure are never going to break into the senior squad but need to gain some value by starting games elsewhere so I can sell them.

I try and make a concentrated effort to break 2-3 U21 players into the senior squad every season, by subbing them late into games I've got comfortably in hand or starting against significantly weaker opponents. It's not hard to find game time for these youngsters if you try, and they shouldn't be too detrimental to your chances in matches if your overall tactic is good.

Archived