Goalkeeper eccentricity.....

From what I understand the eccentricity attribute for goal keepers is a double edged sword, it can mean they do crazy things, but can also mean they pull of wonder saves others wouldnt.

My question is, I have a GK (koval) who is very good, however his eccentricity is 1. Is it good to be that low? should I train him on it?

I always took eccentricity as a fairly negative attribute, as it just makes them do dumb ****, as if the keepers don't do enough dumb **** without it

Me too. Makes me think Rene Higuita. I look at it as no more than "out of 20, this is how likely they are to do completely stupid stuff".

I don't mind eccentricity, but I'll never sign a keeper who's both eccentric, and has weak distribution. They're the most likely to cause issue, I believe, the ones that take a daft risk and in an attempt to cover for it end up lashing the ball at the open in the box opposing striker.

Should never aim to have a high eccentricity in my opinion. It's like asking your wife to go the pub with you instead of your best mate

That sounds quite the opposite to me. I'd argue wanting her to go to the pub with your best mate is the eccentric thing.

;)

Some of the best goalkeepers in the game have an eccentricity rating of over 10.

De Gea - 10

Ter Stegen - 14

Neuer - 16

Begovic - 11

Lloris - 14

Szczesny - 15

Hart - 14

Romero - 13

Their other attributes will more than make up for an eccentricity rating of over 10. Moreover, if your backline, and team in general, are good then that attribute will be rarely tested. If you're that worried, then just make sure you buy Courtois, Oblak, Leno or Rulli.

Some of the best goalkeepers in the game have an eccentricity rating of over 10.

De Gea - 10

Ter Stegen - 14

Neuer - 16

Begovic - 11

Lloris - 14

Szczesny - 15

Hart - 14

Romero - 13

Their other attributes will more than make up for an eccentricity rating of over 10. Moreover, if your backline, and team in general, are good then that attribute will be rarely tested. If you're that worried, then just make sure you buy Courtois, Oblak, Leno or Rulli.

I wouldn't consider 10 or so an issue, but 15+ is where I get really wary. I managed Arsenal once, and was quite quick to replace Szczesny(with Maxym Koval iirc, so basically the anti-Szcz). High ecc, mediocre distribution meant he was always prone to massive clangers. Best decision I made, rarely conceded after that, and ended with the meanest defence in the league.

Ter Stegen was much better pre-January update, when he wasn't eccentric, but he has the distribution to deal with it, though his shot stopping isn't great.

I guess you can develop those stats, but at that level I want a keeper that doesn't need a notable amount of development.

Archived