New laptop for fm15?

I know nothing about laptops I only use it for fm,mine is a Hewlett Packard g62 notebook it has 4gb ram and duel-core processor 2.10ghz 64-bit operating system AMD Athlon (fm) ii p320 it's about 4years old.i know it's runs fm14 ok but would I be better of with a brand new cheap laptop (£199) or is my current laptop decent enough still? Many thanks in advance

It seems likely that, although we dont know the specs of the cheap laptop, given the price, it is unlikely to have a better spec than the existing one. I would suggest that since you know that it runs FM 14 well, stick with it for FM 15.

32 bit operating systems can only technically register 3gb RAM. Windows 32bit requires 1gb RAM, leaving you with 2gb RAM for multitasking (running programs in the background, see below)

64 bit operating systems can register a heck of a lot more. Windows 64bit requires 2gb RAM (but in my opinion that's a bit low) leaving you with 2gb RAM (if you only have 4gb) to do all the multitasking (see below)... but imo the min specs Windows give are an absolute minimum. For 64 bit operating systems 8gb would be the minimum for me. Therefore I always recommend 16gb when dealing with 64 bit operating systems.

RAM is shared around your computer, for playing music, watching videos, sending emails, reading websites, running anitvirus, running steam, running background tasks, and anything that your computer is doing all require RAM.

A brand new £200 laptop will not be better than your G62. It's regarded as a good laptop for it's time/price, I use it myself. If you are thinking of buying a new laptop, you'll need to spend at least £300-350 to see an improvement on the G62.

Processor is the most important thing you need to consider, as that affects loading times as you go day-to-day in FM. The better your processor, the faster the game itself will run.

RAM is not particularly important for FM. You won't see a dramatic improvement if you upgraded to 8gb, as said before FM is a processor-intensive game, the RAM and GPU are secondary.

Your graphics card will determine how smoothly, and how detailed, the 3D match engine will run.

All true - although a faster processor won't really help with load times in long term games. An SSD really helps there.

RAM is just a personal preference of mine, the more the merrier. I just don't think 8gb cuts it - although it's probably negligible for FM as it's still a 32bit game - but having more RAM should make multitasking on the computer more seamless and slick without affecting other tasks going on in the computer, like FM.

Thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it,do you think my current laptop will do the job for fm15? I only use the laptop for fm no others games/music etc so if I don't need to pay for extra ram etc I won't,thanks again

Thanks Eugene,last question I promise! What do you think of a acer intel pentium 2020m 2.4 ghz 4gb ram windows 8 (64bit) duel core 500gb? Would this be better than my current laptop as it's a few years old? This new one is £260 reduced from £500

There's just no point in spending £260 on what is essentially a sideways step from your current laptop. You seem to be keen on getting a new laptop though. What is your budget? You would be much better off saving another £100 and buying a laptop for around £350 with 8gb RAM that is a significant upgrade.

Priority for fm has to be the cpu.

Fm is still a 32bit aplication, so it can't and won't use more than 4gb of ram. If you are on a budget don't buy any more than 8gb - it is very hard to use more than 8gb unless you are doing video editing.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

It doesn't even say what type of graphics it has in it, I'd steer clear of anything where that kind of information isn't shown.

It doesn't even say what type of graphics it has in it, I'd steer clear of anything where that kind of information isn't shown.

It has a

Graphics

Intel HD Graphics 4400

According to the HP website.

No standalone graphics card, apparently.

if your current laptop runs it just keep it and save your money and don't waste your time buying anything cheap as I have just made this mistake. I bought a cheapish gaming desktop on the first day a drive failed so its now packed up waiting to be collected for a refund. I will now keep my current dell desktop that gives me no trouble and still runs FM pretty decently although it does lack a dedicated graphics card until I can afford an alienware desktop.

My advise to you is buy a desktop PC, laptops aren't designed to sit on for hours and play games they always end up overheating even the ones which are "gaming" laptops.

I would say you would want something with 4gb of ram and at least a dual core processor and if you can find that buy a gfx card seperatly because most pcs come with on board gfx which are always crap.

Archived