Problems With 4-2-3-1 In Current Match Engine

Is it just me or other people also find it 4-2-3-1 is much less efficient than it used to be? I am playing with two MCs, an AMC, two Wingers and a ST. No matter what I do, I can't get a good run of games and also my Striker just wont score. My save game got corrupted during half way this season, so I started over with some more minor tweaks but even though I'm creating lots of chances, I can't put them away.

For those who are interested, I'm playing with Everton. I have Bafetimbi Gomis as Target man, have Mirallas, Valencia, Takashi Inui, Nicolas Gaitan as Wingers, Lewis Holtby, Ross Barkley, Manuel Fernandes for AMC position and Jermaine Jonas and Tom Huddlestone for MC. Even though I think I have a team more than capable to play 4-2-3-1 formation, it just doesn't work. Is it just me? I thought I was a decent FM player until now :confused:

IMO 4231 should not be played with two MCs, it leaves your defence really exposed and a large gap between your attacking & defensive units.

The way I would play it is with two DMs, one a playmaker and the other protecting the defence. You also need a couple of your front four on support orders to make themselves available for early passes.

It doesn't seem to be a very good tactic in this version, especially with CMs. If you play a deep 4231, tell every single player to shoot less, and have your DMs on more direct passing it seems to work much better. Also pass into space in the only way I can get my striker to score goals, although even world class strikers can't score on breaks 85% of the time in this. CBs are the best goal scorers in FM 2014

IMO 4231 should not be played with two MCs, it leaves your defence really exposed and a large gap between your attacking & defensive units.

The way I would play it is with two DMs, one a playmaker and the other protecting the defence. You also need a couple of your front four on support orders to make themselves available for early passes.

Gonna give this a go. Hopefully I was missing the point that I should set some attackers on support duty.

Well you gave that a lot time!

4-2-3-1 works fine for me. Just gotta use the right instructions, roles etc...also helps if it suits your squad too obviously.

Actually yeah, I played around 2 seasons in total. And I did lots of tweaking during that time. I mean, lots. I didn't expect setting 1-2 players' role to support make a huge difference anyway. Compared to FM12 and FM13, 4-2-3-1 got a lot weaker with the same player roles and instructions.

Actually yeah' date=' I played around 2 seasons in total. And I did lots of tweaking during that time. I mean, lots. I didn't expect setting 1-2 players' role to support make a huge difference anyway. Compared to FM12 and FM13, 4-2-3-1 got a lot weaker with the same player roles and instructions.[/quote']

It takes time for players to settle and you need to adjust each match depending on what is happening on the pitch.

In general though you should have a mix of defend/support/attack orders in each area of the field and of course they should suit your players that play in those positions.

You could start a thread in the tactics forum with pictures of your current tactic and you will get some advice on how to improve it based on your ideas of how you want to play.

There is more than one way to play 4231, one way might be something like:

GK

DR - Fullback support

DL - Fullback attack

DCL - CD Cover

DCR - CD Stopper

DML - Anchor man defend

DMR - Deep PM Attack

AML - Winger support

AMR - Winger attack

AMC - AMC attack

ST - Complete forward support

Team orders: start with standard moving to control to play more direct and counter to keep possession more.

guys, I'm not asking advice about how to play 4-2-3-1 formation. I played this formation with the same instructions for more than 3 seasons in FM12 and it worked brilliantly. Now even though I have better players than I did when I was playing FM12 and 13, this tactic is much more inefficient.

My 4-2-3-1 I have a DLP(defend), BTB(support), AP(support), IF's(both support) and AF(support). Both IF's to swap wing/hit early crosses and AF to roam and all advanced players to have a lot of freedom.

Defence I have both FB on support, 1 CB to be a stopper and the other to cover, I dropped the high line(push higher) and made them drop deeper, this helped a little with the long ball over the top.

My striker just scored 5 goals in a Europa match, so no problem getting him or my advanced players to score.

These topics make no sense anymore imo.

Tactics in FM14 are not like before, you have to constantly adapt per opponent and your players and situations in-game.

You watch the match and you notice the issues and change some roles accordingly etc

Every tactic has a possibility to work if applied correctly to any given situation. Don't expect "super-tactics".

Archived