Strikers just not scoring

joxx

Am i the only one suffering from lack of goals from my strikers? I don't know why but they are so bad they can;t even throw a ball into the ocean.

Another thing i noticed it that players tend to shoot whenever they are near the edge of the penalty box, even though they all clean through and could easy get closer for a 1v1 chance! This drives me nuts seeing my players rather attempt a 25 yarder rather than take that extra 2 steps to slot it in goal.

Anyone else having such a problem? :(

How many strikers do u have in your tactics..? And what are the player descriptions for them..? When this occurs for me I use the work the ball into the penalty are shout, but there are more you can do depending on your tactics.. Use the wingers to make crosses into pen area, try through balls on your midfielders etc...

To be able to answer your question we probably need to know more about your tactics.. Because on this forum the usual answer is: It's your tactics... :)

I see. I tend to play a 4-5-1 with the aim to give my striker multiple chances be it from crossing or through balls. I create multiple chances but as i said, they either don't shoot it, or try some crazy long range effort when they could just take a few steps forward.

My current tatic worked perfectly in fm12 and fm13 but somehow i just can't get it to click this time round. :'(

I have had the same issue.. The ME on FM 14 I believe is different and the tactics screen have been changed alot from prev games..! Took me a while to get into this new system, and I needed to make adjustments in every department of my tactic to make it work.. (Not major adjustments). The alone striker can be hard to set player description on because it really depends on his stats.. I had a crazy fast striker and set him as a offensive striker (don't know if thats correct term in english, sorry), but couldn't get it to work. Wanted him to lurk around near the defence and run on my playmakers through balls but it just wasn't effective.. Got a new striker who had the recomendation false 9. I made minor adjustment to my tactics, (defensive playmaker instead of offensive, so he wouldn't crash with the false 9, inner strikers (if that's the correct term), as wingers instead of just wingers, and set the striker to a false 9. I thought this would make the striker to drop down more often and shoot outside pen area but instead he dropped down, got the ball, passed it forward to wingers and made a run for it into the pen area and got the through ball and scored. It also happens that he passes the ball back to midfield and then makes a run for it and gets the ball through the midfielders...

Sorry about the long post, (and not very good english) but there is much you can do (that's what so great about this game). And there's much more you can do with your tactics besides changing the strikers descriptions.. If you want more I got more :)

Ya sure i'll love to hear more. Thanks for the post! I'm gonna try that now.

But i still wonder if there is something with the match engine that limits the number of 1v1 chances we have. I've played half a season and i've not seen many if not none legit 1v1 situations.

There has been a few complains about the ME about 1v1 from what I've seen on this forum, and also lack of scoring on clear cut chances... People have alot of explenations to it, (from player stats, morale, teamtalks and much more)..

To me I've kept the teamtalks the same as usual and pressconferences same as I did in past versions and focused on my tactics since that's the real issue for me. I tried a tactic that worked great for me in FM12 and 13, the 4-5-1 "Barcelona style" but on my current save I didn't have the player skills to pull it off, (managing in div 2 england) so had to tweak it and are now playing 4-3-2-1 with the 2 being wingers (inner striker description). Still had the middle MC as a playmaker (it was the DMC in fm12 and 13) and as a defensive playmaker he droppes down very good and makes really good plays in that position, still going offensive but also keeps his defensive responsebillities. I thought I needed the start plays from defense to make this work and use the play the ball through the middle to make this work but I realized that occasional long balls to the striker was effective, and also the playmaker gave the wingers great balls to work with also, so I took away these and used try to overlap (with the full backs) and this worked out really good since they came running, got the ball and crossed it into pen area where my striker was...

With the 1v1 situation specific, to make these happen..: My 3 MC's do tend to pass the ball to each other and changing the positions up a little bit with every pass when they do this, and eventually you'll see a defender get tired of this and make a run for it trying to tackle. Sometimes the MC's take advantage of this and avoid the tackle, (by passing or dribble), and then sees the free area where the defender should be and puts an exellent through ball in that space to my striker...

May I ask what team you're playing..? :)

i had plenty of trouble getting my striker(s) to score goals for me, despite scoring alot of goals and averaging 2.5gpg

i worked a lot of my tactic to get my striker to score more often, and now in the 6th/7th season i finally got it right and my striker(s) are scoring for fun :D

i say "striker(s)" because i play a 4231 formation and have only one on at anyone time

I'm currently playing as chelsea so i doubt my players are an issue. Somehow all I'm scoring are from set pieces and I'm not really that satisfied with that. It's like my players just don't wanna go into the box at all!

I see most of you people setting your strikers firing. Any tips? Cheers for the help so far :)

My strikers only seem capable of scoring tap-ins, though it probably helps that my full back Luke Shaw is probably the greatest crosser I've ever seen on FM14.

You've not seen Sergi Canos then ;)

Some of it is down to tactics, but I think the ME has basically nerfed one-on-one chances. I can't believe the number of times I've seen Rooney/Van Persie/Chicharito/Neymar/Alexis Sanchez have a through ball passed to them, beat the defence, and then ... the goalie leaps ten feet across the face of the goal and makes the save. And it's not just me, I don't mind the opposition going one on one with my keeper because I know he's going to make the save every ... single ... time.

Target men, complete forwards and false 9s (good ones) seem to be ok in terms of scoring, but if I assign a player the poacher role, he'll go ten+ games without scoring (even with loads of support).

From my, albeit rather limited, experience of FM14, 1-on-1s (and indeed most CCCs) are rather streaky. In a game, if a striker scores with his first one, then I find he'll typically keep scoring any more that fall his way in that game. On the other hand, if he misses the first one he gets, then more often than not, he'll end up with a nice big zero in the goals scored column, even though he's had 3-4 more CCCs. I suspect much of this is down to confidence.

I offered Rooney a new contract and made him captain. this is what he returned me. and this is coming from a lot of complaints from other managers here that Rooney isnt working with them. Althought Im not sure its as simple as offering a new contract.

qM7J?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJSVQN3Z4K7MT5U2A&Expires=1387362667&Signature=RxLkKPuxPr6fkRXcj368%2FQNjpno%3D&response-content-disposition=inline%3B%20filename%3DScreen%2520Shot%25202013-12-18%2520at%25209.49.03%2520am%2520copy.png%3B%20filename%2A%3DUTF-8%2527%2527Screen%2520Shot%25202013-12-18%2520at%25209.49.03%2520am%2520copy.png

and btw, i'm playing with 2 strikers up front and he's the DLF, RVP is the CF

To OP.. Well if you're playing Chelsea then that might be the issue.. I see no good strikers in that team ;) But on topic.. They have a massive midfield and it's very good, in some way you should be able to tweak your tactics so the put more through balls and work the ball into the penalty area would work.. But if you play a AMC, like I also have, I had some issues of him taking to many shots outside the box, even if he was set as a off. playmaker. I bet he's adjustable so he won't shoot from distance but I didn't have time to tweak that so I put him as MC instead, and now he runs into the box more frequently and gets goals from crosses and through balls..

And, more on the tactical part.. I have three MC's. The one to the left is a box to box midfielder, in the middle def. playmaker, and the one to the left off. midfielder/support mid. fielder. So my midfield isn't very offensive going, but still the're not taking too many shots outside the pen area. My striker tries once in a while, and my wingers set on attack (inner striker style) almost never tries long range efforts.. They only shoot when breaking in with the ball from their wing or get a good through ball from midfield/my false 9 striker...

I'm not saying you shouldn't play with an AMC in the post above, just that he needs tweaking tactically to work, (if you have one..)

You have very good DL and DR's, make them overlap and fill the box with your talanted midlfielders and score by their crosses, could be a winning decision since you score much from set pieces...

And.... What I've found out so far about the ME... It's easier to make your tactic depending on the playermaterial you have instead of trying to make the players play exactly acording to the tactic you have in mind. This you can do of course, but I believe the first option is easier, atleast in this FM version...

Hope everything will work out for you..!

Am i the only one suffering from lack of goals from my strikers? I don't know why but they are so bad they can;t even throw a ball into the ocean.

Another thing i noticed it that players tend to shoot whenever they are near the edge of the penalty box, even though they all clean through and could easy get closer for a 1v1 chance! This drives me nuts seeing my players rather attempt a 25 yarder rather than take that extra 2 steps to slot it in goal.

Anyone else having such a problem? :(

No.

In both my Dortmund and Grimsby save my lone striker scores roughly a goal a game.

• 3 months later...

Just finished my first season, and got mandzukic who's slotted about 20 in all comps, 16 in the league, which isn't too bad a return, that was mostly from getting him to attack near post on all corners, but the best one was Fernando Torres 23 goals in 27 games, I found it best to use 4-5-1 with 2 CM's 1CAM And 2 wingers, usually playing the striker as either a complete forward, advanced forward, or a target man dependant on who it was I was playing, the instructions are important too, more direct passing, pass into space, work ball into box, and play counter attack or attacking instruction! Can't believe the turn out, he's done brilliantly even scored in the UCL family

• 2 months later...

I have this issue as well, my midfield and wide forwards are scoring tons of goals. I play as Arsenal with mainly a 4231, Podolski who plays out wide left as scored almost 25 goals in January. As for strikers I have Lewandowski, Giroud and Cavani, and they haven't scored up to 20 goals between them no matter what combination I use.

Anyone help?

I have this issue as well, my midfield and wide forwards are scoring tons of goals. I play as Arsenal with mainly a 4231, Podolski who plays out wide left as scored almost 25 goals in January. As for strikers I have Lewandowski, Giroud and Cavani, and they haven't scored up to 20 goals between them no matter what combination I use.

Anyone help?

No-one can help you based on the little information you posted.

Read the stickied threads (particularly by wwfan and llama3) in the Tactics Forum and if you're still having problems, open a thread, giving them all the information requested in the ASKING FOR HELP thread.

Ok heres the deal. I am going crazy with this game, the team is completely familiarized with the tactics, and i have really great players up front, but i have scored only this much goals so far in the league. And whats even weirder i have set my assisst manager to play friendlies with my tactics and players and they played perfectly in the preparation for the season! I dont know what keeps my players from scoring please help me, my nerves are stretched thin! I keep losing from ******** teams like Sassuolo, Cesena and such. Please tell me what i need to change in my current tactics with TI or PI, or both.

Here are the pics in rar for download, i didnt figure out how to post them directly here

http://www.speedyshare.com/Brbf5/fffffffffffff.rar

Screenshots are explained in the FAQ sticky threads in General Discussion and the Tactics Forum. Probably the others too. Basically, upload it to an external site and post the {IMG} code here to embed.

The team might be familiarised with your tactics, but your tactics may not be any good, especially against minnows who will drop deep to deny space and counter attack.

If you want advice, read this: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/327822-Asking-For-Help-PLEASE-READ-THIS

Screenshots are explained in the FAQ sticky threads in General Discussion and the Tactics Forum. Probably the others too. Basically, upload it to an external site and post the {IMG} code here to embed.

The team might be familiarised with your tactics, but your tactics may not be any good, especially against minnows who will drop deep to deny space and counter attack.

If you want advice, read this: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/327822-Asking-For-Help-PLEASE-READ-THIS

Well, i think i detailed my problem enough.............................can anyone help?

I thought I'd at least look at your pictures as I'm really bored with work today. But, you didn't get them compressed properly or something as they are all 0 bytes. Follow the friendly mod's advice on how to ask for help.
Thats weird, i just downloaded it my self as a test and everything is fine

Thats weird, i just downloaded it my self as a test and everything is fine

Could be my computer acting up. But, either way, you'll get more help if you post the screenshots yourself. It's really easy. Go to imgur.com. Upload them. Either post the BBCode into the reply box or click the little picture icon above the reply box and paste the URL of the picture in the provided field.

Yeah, you have quite a few tactical issues. Post a thread in the Tactics forum, using the one I linked for guidelines about what information you need to give.

Then why did you moved it here in the first place? But ok i opened a new thread. I detailed all i could think of.

Because you posted right above this topic, which is exactly the same. If you sort out your tactical issues and you're still having problems, it might be motivational so then GD is the right place.

Archived