The Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Broken Fan Belt And A Flat Tyre.

B.W.G

Hi,I'm B.W.G,you may remember me from FMCU careers such as Hitch Hikers Guide to FM 11,Hitch Hikers Guide to FM12 and the award winning One Day We'll Basque In Glory!

For FM13 I have been inspired by the following careers to go back to a journeyman career.

AK22 - If You Count Your Chickens Before They've Hatched They Won't Lay An Egg

Deltablue - [FM11]Deltablue Rising II: Delta's Darlings.

SRL88 - SRL88's FM12 Journeyman Career

tomtuck01 - Tomtuck's First FM Career Adventure

The Setup

Africa    -  South Africa - 1st Division                       Database     :Small
                                                              Players      :90,000
Asia      -  Australia    - A-League                           Manager's Rep:Sunday League Footballer
            China        - 1st Division                       Updates      :Pre-Season,Mid-Season,End of Season                           
            S.Korea      - N-League

N.America -  Mexico       - Promotion League
            U.S.A        - MLS

S.America -  Argentina    - 2nd Division
            Brazil       - 2nd Division
            Uruguay      - 2nd Division

Europe    -  Belgium      - 3rd Division
            Denmark      - 2nd Division
            England      - BSN/BSS
            France       - National
            Germany      - 3rd Division
            Holland      - Jupiler League
            Ireland      - 1st Division
            Italy        - Serie C2
            N.Ireland    - 2nd Division
            Norway       - 2nd Division
            Portugal     - 2nd Division
            Russia       - 1st Division
            Scotland     - 3rd Division
            Spain        - Liga Adelante
            Ukraine      - 1st League
            Wales        - Welsh Prem

Social Media

Twitter - @W_Richy

Youtube - N/A (At this moment in time).

Aims

I have none what so ever,it will be a case of go out and enjoy it and not restrict my self with any aims or goals.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Job Offers

I rejected a lot of offers from Norway mainly but the three below stuck out the most for me.

Brechin City - Scottish 2nd Division

BrechinJobOffer-1-1.jpg

Club Social y Deportivo Defensa y Justica - Argentine 2nd Division

DefensayJusticiaJobOffer-1-1.jpg

Gangneung City - N-League

GangneungCityoffer.jpg

Gangneung_City_FC.jpg

Gangneung City - N-League - New Job - 2012

I'll have to be honest,Wikipedia wasn't much help to finding the history of the club,this is what it said

Gangneung City is a South Korean soccer club based in the city of Gangneung.

Currently Gangneung City plays in the National League.

The Stadium

Gangneung Stadium - 33,000 Capacity

527105484_umT9b-M.jpg

Takeover Position

KoreanNationalLeague_Stages.png

Korean FA Cup - Already out,lost 4-0 in the 3rd round to K-League side Daejeon

National League Cup - Out in the group stages after finishing 3rd in the group.

Manager's Thoughts

We've only got the league to concentrate on so that is less distractions.The team is not too bad but does need strengthening in areas.Will be looking to get them further up the table which should be easily doable.

There is but it's quite complicated to explain.

The top six qualify for a playoff,the 1st round playoff is between 3rd vs 6th and 4th vs 5th.The winners then go on to a 2nd round playoff between each other.The winner of the 2nd round playoff will play 2nd place in the "semi-final" (don't see how they can call it a semi-final when there are two teams!).The winner of the semi-final will then face first place for what I can assume is the grand final.

Two teams go up,two teams go down.God damn playoff systems :lol:

Gangneung_City_FC.jpg

Gangneung City - N-League - End of Season - 2012

2012 Transfers

Didn't let anyone go as I wanted to see what the current squad was all about but I sent the scouts straight out to see what they can find.As you can see we found quite a few as eight players came in on the 1st July which is the Opening Day of the transfer window!We signed two more with the transfer funds who were reserve players in a top flight side but had something to offer us which could be useful.My aim with these signings was to get the foundations in to make it easier to improve the squad next season.

Competitions

N-League

Final Table - Playoff 1st Round - Playoff 2nd Round

The signings made gave us a positive impact as we pushed up the table to claim 4th.In my fifteen games in charge,we lost once against Ulsan HMD.To start off with we were really dull as we struggled to score but didn't concede many either but after five games,the goals started to fly in and wouldn't really stop for the rest of the season.Due to finishing 4th,we qualified for the playoffs and were entered at the first round.At half-time,we were 3-1 down and I thought we were out so I read the riot act and the plays responded brilliantly as we scored four in the second half to move on to the second round.There was nothing we could do in the second round as we were outclassed for the majority of the game.The only thing which surprised me was we managed to get it to penalties which we lost so no complaints off me as they deserved to go through.All I can say is better luck next season.

Korean FA Cup

3rd Round

Entered at third round,dumped out at third round by Daejeon who play in the K-League.I had nothing to do with this as we were already out when I took over.Hopefully I can avoid playing a top flight side in my first tie.

National League Cup

Group Stage

Was already out when I took over so I had nothing to do with it.When I play it next season,I will be looking to qualify from the group stage.This season was a shambles as they were dumped out by non-league sides!

Players,Statistics and Awards

Quick look at Player Statistics for this season!

Top Scorer

Lee Jae-Yup - 10 Goals

Was one of the signings I bought in and all I can say is that he was very impressive up front on his own.Plays best as a Trequartista and it showed as he hit 10 goals in 14 appearances as well as provide 4 assist so was a excellent return for about half a season at the club.Definitely need to keep hold of him as the lower K-League clubs have been enquiring bout his availability.

Most Assists

Kim Jung-Hyun - 8

Quite a frustrating player to be honest as he is quite inconsistent but either way he topped the assists chart with eight but also helped with the scoring as he scored four.I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now as he still has a few years to his peak yet but he is more than capable of doing well in the N-Legue.Will be looking for more off him next season.

Manager's Player of the Year

Lee Jung-Woon

I've give it him due to his performances throughout the entire season,even before I took over.He averaged at 7.35 over 31 games so he is definitely worthy of winning my personal award.He contributed with six assists and his eight goals scored came under my management.He seems to be contracted to us for another season on loan so will be looking forward to see what he does next season.

Fan's Player of the Year

Choi Chang-Yong

Wasn't even at the club for the whole season and he seems to have won the fans over with his displays.I think he was a brilliant free transfer and should be able to play at a higher level but is definitely one of the better defenders at N-League level.Very consistent performer,just a shame his partner at centre back isn't as consistent as we would have very little problems that way.

Manager's Thoughts

Considering the position we were in when I tookover,I think we did very well.The signings I made helped push us to a higher level but I need to look at working on the defence a bit as we were very leaky but where would the entertainment value be if we didn't have goals at both ends.Not too bothered about the cups as I wasn't in charge for them so it doesn't count.The foundations are very much in place for an assault on the top two spots next season if we can get the defence sorted.I think the biggst contributor to our success was Lee Jae-Yup who was bought in on a free transfer and scored 10 goals in 14 appearances so will be looking for him to contribute next season.

Signed a new contract for another year and if I can make the right signings then we should be able to challenge the top teams in the division so that is something I will get my scouts on.No facility upgrades and no coaching upgrades as we have no youth facilities and it's too expensive to upgrade anything!The fact that my contract is £150 per week says it all really!Onto to next season where hopefully I can start building the team to how I want it.

Season     Club         Division       Country      League       Cup       Continental    Avg.Att       Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012   Gangeung City   N-League       S.Korea       4th       3rd Rnd        N/A          1618     Playoff Defeat!

Cheers guys.Will need to work on getting the defence and keeper sorted as I'm quite happy with the more attacking options at the club.I think there will only need to be a few tweaks and we should be a lot harder to beat.My only concern is the lack of ML and MR's who want to join the club which could be troublesome.

[video=youtube;VENY5uPuIKM]

Oppa Gangnam style. :cool:

Did well to drag the team to the playoffs, even if that's quite a complicated system and I believe you still had to win another 2 rounds? Good luck for next season.

noikeee - I was actually anticipating someone posting a Gangnam Style related video :D That's right I would have had another two rounds to win.It seems to be more beneficial,if you finish 2nd,you enter at the semi-final,if you finish 1st then you only have to play the final which is two legs!

deltablue - To me it was an obvious thing to do,your career was nothing short of brilliant and definitely deserved it's mention!

ashton321 - Cheers fella :D

abulezz - It was,I feel quite confident for next season,targets have been identified and I shouldn't need much strengthening.

Gangneung_City_FC.jpg

Gangneung City - N-League - End of Season - 2013

Club Information - Facilities - Boardroom Overview - Expectations - Finances

Pre-Season Fixtures

Fixtures-1.jpg

Couldn't really tell much about the team as we only had a few games,the fixtures saw the three new signings make their first appearances but from what I've seen,they seem to be more consistent than those who they are replacing.The result against Gwanju was encouraging as they are a K-League side.

The Team

Team Report - Tactics

Key Players

Choi Chang-Yong - DC

Will be the main piece of the defence as he is the stand out star of our dodgy defence.Will be looking for him to continue with the impressive performances of last season.Couldn't find him a suitable partner so I am hoping he can produce as we will be over reliant on him this season.

Lee Jin-Woo - D/WB/ML

A key player due to his versatility,he can play left back or left midfield which is handy as I will be able to switch and play him in the DL position as we are short there.I paid £5k for him and it seems to be a bargain as he played 9 times,scored 4 and provided an assist while averaging at 7.27.I will be looking for more of the same from him.

Song Jae-Han - ST

He was a brilliant free signing for us last season,10 goals in 14 appearances was a brilliant return and it has earned him one of my key player slots.If he should have no trouble with his skill at this level,my only worry will be from the players supplying him as they do let him down at times with the simplest crosses.Good luck to him this season!

Ones to Watch

Currently none as we have no youth facilities and not found anyone under 21 to classify as one to watch.

Overview

I've done what I've can which is not a lot to be fair.I found three players for the team but only one of those will play regularly and that is the goalkeeper.I do have a bit of room on the wage budget to sign a couple of players but the scouts are struggling to find anyone interested which has been pretty annoying.As I will get a full season,I honestly reckon we can get higher then 4th place.Ideally I want a top two finish as that means less playoff rounds but I will be happy enough with qualifying for the playoffs.

Not been able to do any upgrading as it is too expensive and our finances are not in the best of shape.This is a downer in the future as we have no youth facilities and that means no youngsters coming through so I have to put my faith in the scouting system which this pre-season has given me very little to target and try to sign.I think promotion is necessary as that will increase the clubs reputation and by playing in top flight we should find players interested.Time to give the fans something to cheer about.

Gangneung_City_FC.jpg

Gangneung City - N-League - Mid-Season - 2013

Competitions

N-League

KoreanNationalLeague_Stages-1.png

Korean FA Cup

Quarter-Finals

We actually knocked out the holders Ulsan in the 3rd round with a 3-2 victory.We beat K-League strugglers Chunnam 3-1 in the 4th round.We now face another K-League side in Jeju,I'm not expecting much more from this run.

National League Cup

Quarter-Final

We did better than last season as we made it to the quarter finals where we crashed out.Half the team under performed during the game and it was a deserved defeat on our behalf.The most shocking thing was that we scored four to make the scoreline look a bit more respectable.

Overview

We've had a solid first half to the season,we have had a pretty good run in the FA Cup by knocking out two K-League sides in the cup and made progress on last season in the national cup.The league has been really pleasing as we sit two points behind relegated Sanju,the most encouraging thing is how the defence has been,we have the best defence which is brilliant.Hopefully we can continue this form to claim a top two spot and less games in the playoffs.

Cheers fella :D We've had a spell where we didn't win for four games which I am not used to but we have now over taken Sangju at the top of the table which is the most important thing.If I can stay in first then I won't have to turn up to the playoffs till the 1st leg of the final.

Acidburn - Cheers fella :D Hopefully I'll get to manager in most of the countries I've loaded.

Dejay - Thanks dude,gets even better which will be revealed in the end of season update!

deltablue - We finish quite strongly as well!

Hypanimz - Cheers dude :D

abulezz - Thanks!Asia is like a second home to me on FM,I've managed in Indonesia,China and Japan in past FM's.I can add S.korea to the list now :lol:

TheGreatTraveler - It would have been better if it wasn't for that pesky recently relegated side Sanju!

Gangneung_City_FC.jpg

Gangneung City - N-League - End of Season - 2013

2013 Transfers - I let a lot of players go as they were never really going to make it at the club and I wanted to free up more wages for the next season to see if I could get more quality players into the club.Not many came in as the scouting was pretty terrible and we couldn't really find the players I wanted.These three were bought in for more rotational options in areas we lacked so I would be able to keep players fresh and have suitable backups if we had injuries.

Competitions

N-League

League Table - Playoff Final Leg 1 - Playoff Final Leg 2

We had a fairly strong start as we hit 2nd place during the first half of the season which was already an improvement on last season.We finished off strongly and took advantage of Sangju's bad run as they slipped from first to fourth after the regular games were complete.The highlight of the normal season was definitely beating Sangju 5-1!We had first place secured with a game to spare which meant no matter what happened in the last game,we would go straight through to the playoff final which was a two legged affair.We faced Sangju which was surprise after their poor second half to the season.The first leg of the game saw us with the more clinical finishing as we won 2-0 in front of 27,658 people!The second leg saw us get lucky as our defence was on top form in our 2-1 defeat which meant we won the 3-2 on aggregate to clinch the playoff final.What a great relief it was to hear the final whistle as they really pushed us to our limit in the last ten minutes!

Korean FA Cup

Quarter-Finals

Another competition in which the team did better than last season.Our first game was against the holders Ulsan,we had the better of the first half as we raced into a 3-1 lead but they pegged us back in the second half but we held on for a sensational victory.We faced another K-League side in Chunnam,we were the better side from start to finish and the 3-1 victory was a fair result.The quarter final saw us face another K-League side in Jeju,they dominated for practically the whole game so I am surprised that they only won 1-0.Was a good run for us but didn't really generate any money for us.

National League Cup

Quarter-Finals

Well it was definitely an improvement on last season where the club didn't make it out of the group stages.This season we got through the group stages with a record of 2-1-0 as we faced Cheonan City,Yongin City and Incheon Rail.The quarter final gave us the toughest possible tie as we faced Sangu,we were outclassed for the majority of the match but with the little we had,we still showed the lethality of our finishing as we stuck four past them and was knocked out trying our best.Nothing more then I could ask for.

Players,Stats and Awards

Best XI - Overall Best XI

A look at the Player Statistics for the season.

Top Scorer

Lee Jin-Woo - 12 Goals

He was identified as one the key players at the start of the season and he showed his ability by finishing as the top scorer with 12 goals.I think he has more then repaid the £5k fee we paid for him in 2012.He also provided 7 assists so you can see he was involved in a lot of the action.He is a player who should be able to do it in the K-League but unfortunately he won't be able to do so for the time being.The military service has called him up and for the next two seasons,he will be on loan to N-League side Sangju,what an annoyance that is.

Most Assists

ChoSung-Hyuk - 13

This was quite a surprise,I was honestly expecting one of the attacking players to top the assist chart and not the left back!He was arguably the best player in the past season and was one of the stand out performers in the season.His one goal scored was a cracker by his standards as it was from 25 metres out.He is another one,I am not sure about playing in the K-League but deserves his shot.His performances in the past season saw him pick up Fans Player of the Year.

My Player of the Year

Kim Jung-Hyun

Kim Jung-Hyun earned my player of the year due to his performances,he scored eleven and provided six assists.He is not the best technical player but his consistency last season was really helpful and always came with a key pass or a vital goal when needed.Not sure he is good enough for the K-League but with his performances this season,he does at least deserve some action next season.

Overview

What a brilliant way to end the season,by clinching promotion and moving on up to the K-League.The plus here is that we should be able to attract players better due to being a top flight side but the preview of budgets for next season is quite bad as we are being kept on the same wage budget so there is no doubt that I will blow that budget out of the water.What made this season even more impressive was the fact we only made three signings so it was pretty much the same squad as last season,I put this down to the change of tactics made,I changed the formation from 4-4-1-1 to what can be considered as a 4-4-2 wide diamond which helped tighten things at the back while giving extra support in attack.

I've signed another one year contract so my new contract will end 2014.There is still no signing of youth facilities and no upgrading of training facilities.The only plus to come out of this season is that we are now allowed to scout the whole of Europe so hopefully there will be some good quality free transfers which will be extremely helpful for next season which I will be looking at defenders and a defensive midfielder but other areas will probably need strengthening as well.The most annoying thing is that I will need to replace Lee Jin-Woo who was called up for military service and I will lose him for two seasons as he was loaned out to Sangju without my consent!For now,it is enjoy the glory as the hard work begins next season.

Season     Club         Division       Country      League       Cup       Continental    Avg.Att       Notes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012   Gangeung City   N-League       S.Korea       4th       3rd Rnd        N/A          1618     Playoff Defeat!
2013   Gangeung City   N-League       S.Korea       1st         Q.F          N/A          3540     Playoff Vitors!

Dejay - Cheers fella :D The scouts have found the talent for next season so I think it's bye bye to my wage budget!

HotChocolate - I knew,there was a message saying I won,one for how much money I won and board reaction messages.My reaction was more of a case of **** yeah!No more damn playoffs for a while!

Gangneung_City_FC.jpg

Gangneung City - K-League - Pre-Season - 2014

Overview - Facilities - Boardroom Overview - Expectations - Finances

Pre-Season Tranfers

For the outgoings,I had no use for them so I just placed them on the unwanted list on let my director of football get rid of them.Fair play to the guy he managed to get rid of them of our books.The only out going I wasn't happy with was Lee Jin-Woo as it was a loan forced upon us by military service.Bought several new players in who will help improve the squad tremendously,as you can see I made Thai side Muangthong Utd a shopping trip for us as we signed three of their players.Ri-Kwang Chon is probably the biggest name signing we've had as he is a North Korean international.We made on loan signing which was Shim Dong-Woon for the season,we are lacking quality up front nd couldn't find any permanent signings for that position.

Pre-Season Fixtures

GangneungCity_FixturesSchedule-1.jpg

These fixtures were made to try and keep morale high for the opening of the season.It went according to plan with the exception of the Kimhae game where we lost 3-0 due to a mixture of atrocious defending and poor finishing.

The Team

Team Report - Tactics

Key Players

Choi Chang-Yong - DC

After last season and during the current pre-season I decided to give Chang-Yong his chance in the K-League in a starting position as he has been solid.He is one of three quality DC's we have at the club so it is a tough position to pick who plays now,especially as the other two played together at their last club.The impressive thing about Chang-Yong is his heading as he rarely gets beat in the air which is a very big plus.He will be very busy this season.

Ali Diarra - DM/MRC

Bought in as a defensive midfielder for nothing.Seems like a bargain to me as he has helped strengthen the DM position in the side and has already impressed me during pre-season as he rated 7.03 over the five games.The only shocking thing is that he was playing in Thailand so a big thank you will have to go out to my scouts who found him.His versatility has also helped as he can play a good number of positions but I shouldn't really need him to.

Kim Tae-Jin - DM/AMRC

Could be a key player due to his versatility and being able to play in most positions where I require.My one big concern is lack of game time during pre-season due to injury.Even so,he looks like he could do a job for us in the K-League but at the moment he needs to bide his time but should get a chance as he seems to be an all rounder as he can do pretty much anything when it comes to attacking.

Shim Dong-Woon - ST

Loan signing from Chunnam as we were short up front with Tae-Jin's injury.He should also bring a bit of quality up front as it was harder finding players to play up there who were good enough to play in the K-League.Hopefully he will be able to contribute where he can and I know he will be getting plenty of play this season.

Ones to Watch

Du Hongnan - DR/WBR/MR/AMR - 2.5*/5*

A very hand free signing who has the potential to be a leading K-League player.His versatility is pretty amazing in itself as he can cover anywhere down the right side.It is the versatility which will get him some game time this season.He is a Chinese under 21 international so I am pretty grateful Guangzhou Fuli released him on a free.Helps count towards the u23 rule the K-League has.

Kwon Hyuk-Min - MC/AMC - 2*/3.5*

Was a free transfer and bought in to help cover the AMC position has a back up.With the league regulations of needing two under 23 players in the team,he has helped us reach the limit as we don't have youth facilities to bring players through.Will get game time due to injury and suspensions but will more then likely bring him off the bench to start off with to see how he does.

Overview

I'm now well prepared for the season ahead.The board only want us to stay away from relegation in the season and I think we should have enough to do that considering we were able to beat K-League sides in the cup last season.We are now stronger than last season so I am fairly confident so hopefully I can avoid any catastrophes which may arise.My biggest concern this season is up front as I could only manage a loan deal,there was another striker but I was priced out as he wanted more then double of the maximum I could offer for wages.All I can hope is that my midfield continues to contribute with goals like they have done in past seasons as that should help see us safe.

There has been a bit of interest in myself coming from clubs in Australia but considering I am playing in the K-League which is the top rated Asian competition so it would be considered a step down for myself.I do want a go at managing in the A-League but not at the minute,I will wait till my reputation rises a bit before doing so.I have been linked with some K-League sides but there was no concrete offers but it probably would be something I consider doing as some of the players other teams offer and much superior to mine.For now I am still the Gangneung City manager,time to get the party started.

Just before the half way point to the season,I've had an offer from K-League side Seongnam.

WillRichardson_Inbox-1.jpg

I wasn't sure on the job so I did a mini run down of the situation.

Gangneung City                                           Seongnam

National                      Reputation                Continental 

4th                         League Position                14th

£0                          Transfer Budget              £600,000
£5.81k p.w                   Wage Budget                 £88k p.w
£8.34k p.w                 Currently Spending           £105k p.w  

33,000                      Stadium Capacity              19,000
Fairly Basic               Training Facilities             Good
None                        Youth Facilties               Average
Minimal                     Junior Coaching              Adequate
Limited                    Youth Recruitment          Well Established

I was going to do a first XI vs first XI but the quality of Seongnam is far above ours so it is very surprising with how much they are underachieving.Think I'll go get something to eat before deciding.

There is but it's quite complicated to explain.

The top six qualify for a playoff,the 1st round playoff is between 3rd vs 6th and 4th vs 5th.The winners then go on to a 2nd round playoff between each other.The winner of the 2nd round playoff will play 2nd place in the "semi-final" (don't see how they can call it a semi-final when there are two teams!).The winner of the semi-final will then face first place for what I can assume is the grand final.

Two teams go up,two teams go down.God damn playoff systems :lol:

? :D

Seriously, an excellent start. Tough decision to make- Seongnam seem the bigger club, but you're doing well enough with Gangneung to make it worth staying where you are for now.

Cheers fella :D They are a bigger club and are competing in the Champions League.I know I've been overachieving but we should be able to increase Gangneung's profile in the next season or two but that is dependant on who comes in for me with a job,so I will reject this offer.

Archived