Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

I saved a match that had a brilliant own goal (diving header from the oppositions keeper) but i forgot how to upload it so i can show it, anyone know how or if it's possible to upload a goal from a saved match ?

Edit : Nevermind, i worked it out and it wasn't rocket science.

Edit again : Won't upload, says file contains audio only, any ideas anyone ?

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question to you guys: How can you make a player going ape-****??

Example: I make a substitute in the 80 mins and I want him everythingthing (and anything) to drive the opponent nuts, pop up left-right, pressing ownhalf and in the box, shoot, hold the ball, dribble like crazy, drawing faults from the opponent.... BUT ALMOST DOES NOT PASS. He plays like a man possessed in a one-man mission.

COnsidering that the match is almost over and most opponents should be tired with fitness around 80%, a slightly above average player with full fitness might be able to take advantage of the situation.

I personally had a few problems with AI players doing something like that and it irritates me as hell. When I check their attributes, most of them won't even make my B team bench. If an inferior player can do such then how can I instruct my superior player to act similarly against the opponent.

I have a question to you guys: How can you make a player going ape-****??

Example: I make a substitute in the 80 mins and I want him everythingthing (and anything) to drive the opponent nuts, pop up left-right, pressing ownhalf and in the box, shoot, hold the ball, dribble like crazy, drawing faults from the opponent.... BUT ALMOST DOES NOT PASS. He plays like a man possessed in a one-man mission.

COnsidering that the match is almost over and most opponents should be tired with fitness around 80%, a slightly above average player with full fitness might be able to take advantage of the situation.

I personally had a few problems with AI players doing something like that and it irritates me as hell. When I check their attributes, most of them won't even make my B team bench. If an inferior player can do such then how can I instruct my superior player to act similarly against the opponent.

Maybe sub in a player with good dribbling, technique and very low teamwork. Then give him often for RWB, rare for TTB, cross and lots of creativity. Then he will probably do everything solo.

Hey mate, more on that 4-2-4 im trying to play. If i want my "wingers" to be a nasri/nani/ronaldo type player. Where they would more often cut inside and look for a through ball to the strikers and only cross the ball by going wide, if on the counter or if there is no clear through ball option. Which role does this translate to, Winger, Inside Forward or advanced playmaker?

2. Also. For my Centre mid pairing. I have decided this is best on defend and support, as my front 4 are attacking enough. I want to use and advanced playmaker support but should my defensive cm be centre mid (defend) or ball winning midfielder (defend)?

3. I want my fullbacks to attack, but im not a manager who likes to win 5-2 or 6-4. I like to attack with relative security at the back. Would support for my full back be a better option? Without taking anything away from the balance of the tactic?

4. As for my centre backs, as im playing a high line, would i want to keep them on centre defender (defend) and ball playing defender ( defend) or should i make them stopper cover? also what about the offside?

Cheers if you can help me mate. I tried to be as detailed as possible and outline my intentions so it doesnt look like im some annoying noob. Thanks for your time :)

For your Nasri/Nani pass/cross question, I would have them on advanced playmaker role.

I'm a 4-2-3-1 manager. As for other questions, these are the roles I give.

2) I always used a deep-lying playermaker(support) and a central midfielder(defend).

3) Fullback on auto.

Im playing a 4-2-4 with 2 attacking advanced playmakers in the amr/aml slots and with a poacher and deep lying forward in support duty. What are the best roles for my two centre mids (Carrick and Fletcher)? I know one will be on defend and one on support, but what role should i give them?

• 4 weeks later...

OK I have a really stupid question!!! & one that has been bugging me for ages so please help.

It is concerning substitues & injuries in match & one leads on to the other.

Now do I put substitutes with the higher CA/PA on the bench all the time or do I put players suitable for the position I want to substitute.

Same with Injuries out of match day I play a 442 with a deep-lying forward & an advanced forward.

Now if my deep lying forward gets injured my Ass Man will push my advanced forward into the Deep-lying forward slot & then use my sub advanced forward in the correct slot, just because of the CA/PA factor.

Any help will do

OK I have a really stupid question!!! & one that has been bugging me for ages so please help.

It is concerning substitues & injuries in match & one leads on to the other.

I make sure that any injury can be covered by my subs, i.e. a like-for-like swap or on-field juggling. This is my primary concern. Secondary (but still extremely important) is putting players on the bench who can change a game. If I've got any bench spots left then I'll throw a youngster in there who needs the experience and give them gametime if I'm comfortably winning or miserably losing.

What's different between roaming and runs from deep? (ex. what's differece between rfd often and no roaming and rfd rarely and roam from position?)

Both happens only when your team has the ball.

Roam from position: move into a better position to receive a pass from a team mate even at the risk of being in a poor position defensively. This could be a movement in any direction whatsoever (the longer your build up play progresses it is least likely to be a forward one). Receiving a pass in "space" has many advantages.

Run from deep: make forward runs. run into space ahead. As an example you might want a midfielder to get into your opponent's penalty area to receive a cross, you however are unlikely to want your defender join the midfield in attack let alone your opponent's penalty area

Both happens only when your team has the ball.

Roam from position: move into a better position to receive a pass from a team mate even at the risk of being in a poor position defensively. This could be a movement in any direction whatsoever (the longer your build up play progresses it is least likely to be a forward one). Receiving a pass in "space" has many advantages.

Run from deep: make forward runs. run into space ahead. As an example you might want a midfielder to get into your opponent's penalty area to receive a cross, you however are unlikely to want your defender join the midfield in attack let alone your opponent's penalty area

How does it affect a striker and an AMC? if the both have run fron deep never how does that come into play?

They will move about the pitch looking for space but not necessarily in a goalward direction.

I'm Confused because I have a striker with 19 of the ball and is realy fast but I cant get him to move for a through ball, tried run from deep often but nothing happens...

sorry for the bad english :p

I'm Confused because I have a striker with 19 of the ball and is realy fast but I cant get him to move for a through ball, tried run from deep often but nothing happens...

sorry for the bad english :p

If you set "run from deep" aka RFD to often, rest assured that the player should do so.

However it is important to understand that there are many things that is happening to the player at any one time. RFD is only one of them.

Of the top of my head:

- if the player has a PPM that negates this such as "Comes deep to get the ball"

- the player would be offside

- the player is slow

- the player is not intelligent

- the player is easily marked

- the player has a poor personality

- the system is too fluid

- you're on a short pitch; no space too run into!

- your tactics discourages RFD in general

etc etc etc

Thanks now I understand how that works helped me alot !

One more question , whats the diffrence between tight marking yes and tight marking no ?

Pretty much what it says on the tin. Just don't tight mark players with 18/18 or higher Pace/Acceleration (unless they are tall CBs who can jump well)

Pretty much what it says on the tin. Just don't tight mark players with 18/18 or higher Pace/Acceleration (unless they are tall CBs who can jump well)

I was wondering because people here said to tight mark a slow player and loose mark a fast one, wanted to know why?

I was wondering because people here said to tight mark a slow player and loose mark a fast one, wanted to know why?

For 'don't' read 'never', they will be past your marker and dancing off into the distance before the marker knows what's happened. Remember this is referring to Opposition Instructions not Player Instructions, as far as I am concerned anyway.

The 18/18 I mentioned earlier is the level at which I choose to alter my OIs on a player. eg Theo Walcott:- 'Show onto weaker foot', 'Never tight mark', 'Non-specific closing down' and 'Hard tackling' works very nicely indeed.

But I base that on the speed of my own players.

EDIT: Does your Striker with 19 OTB have a high Anticipation rating?

For 'don't' read 'never', they will be past your marker and dancing off into the distance before the marker knows what's happened. Remember this is referring to Opposition Instructions not Player Instructions, as far as I am concerned anyway.

The 18/18 I mentioned earlier is the level at which I choose to alter my OIs on a player. eg Theo Walcott:- 'Show onto weaker foot', 'Never tight mark', 'Non-specific closing down' and 'Hard tackling' works very nicely indeed.

But I base that on the speed of my own players.

EDIT: Does your Striker with 19 OTB have a high Anticipation rating?

19 finishing 18 anticipation and 14 concentration 15 speed 16 agility and has likes to beat offside ppm

so i have a LB 17 pace 17 tackling is it good to give him tight marking?

19 finishing 18 anticipation and 14 concentration 15 speed 16 agility and has likes to beat offside ppm

so i have a LB 17 pace 17 tackling is it good to give him tight marking?

Striker should be doing the biz attribute wise if he has good Decisions and Determination. The PPM is good also.

It's not so much the tackling as the Acceleration and Pace, you can't tackle someone you can't catch(not lawfully anyway).

Fastest fullback I've ever had was 17/16 Acc/Pace. He came up against a winger 19/18, at that time I was using tight marking, it made him nervous so I set him to Never and after stopping this guy a couple of times he stopped being nervous too, and a little while later he was confident. He was only 19yo so I forgave him, but from then on I made 18/18 my level to set markers to stand off (Never), but added Hard tackling which I normally reserve for strikers only.

The person that posted them might have updated the tactic and deleted the original possibly? Best to ask in the threads where you see the tactics.

Alternatively, try different web browsers to see if that makes any difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Right guys, I have a really stupid Question regarding setting individual instructions for a player.

If the box next to the specific instruction is "unchecked", does this mean the player doesn't do it? For example, cross ball is "unchecked" however it is automatically set on sometimes.

Can someone clarify this for me?

It doesn't mean the player won't do it. He will still do what it says, e.g. he will cross sometimes, unless you manually adjust it to Rarely or Often. Also if the box is unchecked, the instruction might automatically change if you change your tactic via e.g. Touchline Shouts. And if you check then it is not influenced by tactical changes.

I hope you understood me. :D

You play with deep defensive line. Set your centre backs as cover and dont let them to mark the man tightly. tell them to stand off so they could be prepared for fast striker. Also learn them not to dive into tackles.

You play with deep defensive line. Set your centre backs as cover and dont let them to mark the man tightly. tell them to stand off so they could be prepared for fast striker. Also learn them not to dive into tackles.

What if my tactic is in classic? I don't think I can set them to cover if I'm using a classic tactic , right?

thanks for your reply fabio.

I have another Q.

How should you balance the closing down between defence, midfield and attack? I'm assuming if there is too much of a jump on the slider between defence and midfield for example, it will leave a big gap in that area in between right?

Check Ass. Man feedback screen during the matches to see if he says about gaps between defence and midfield. If so, then tweak your players' mentalities and closing down options until he doesnt says anything more about gaps.

I'm coming up on my first offseason, which means that the youth intake date is fast approaching. I'm playing as Dover Athletic, a small club with basic facilities and recruitment, so my current squad of U18s is quite poor.

My question is this: is each season's youth intake a set number, or does it just fill your U18 squad to 18? I'd be inclined to release nearly all of my youngsters, but there are a handful I would keep around if I am only going to get 10-12 new players.

I'm coming up on my first offseason, which means that the youth intake date is fast approaching. I'm playing as Dover Athletic, a small club with basic facilities and recruitment, so my current squad of U18s is quite poor.

My question is this: is each season's youth intake a set number, or does it just fill your U18 squad to 18? I'd be inclined to release nearly all of my youngsters, but there are a handful I would keep around if I am only going to get 10-12 new players.

I release any dross that hasn't progressed so I'm only left with 5-6 players, I've never been short of talent to release after the intake before filling up with real talent!!

It's a set number. (10 I think)

can you help me out with a question? you seem to be very good on these forums, is football manager 2011 worth buying on steam or disk

as i hear nothing but people complaining about crash dumps and errors? any advice?

This might help you to make up your mind! http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/156429-Steam-Problems-FAQ-and-Basic-Crash-Troubleshooting

quick question regarding fm10

I know in fm11 you can have your players become familiar with up to 3 different tactics.

Is it possible for your players to become familiar with multiple tactics in FM10? If I switch back and forth between a 433 and a 4231 will it be detrimental to my squad's performance?

quick question regarding fm10

I know in fm11 you can have your players become familiar with up to 3 different tactics.

Is it possible for your players to become familiar with multiple tactics in FM10? If I switch back and forth between a 433 and a 4231 will it be detrimental to my squad's performance?

I used to switch between a 442 and a 4411 on FM09 aand they certainly seemed to gain fluidity in both tactics

I used to switch between a 442 and a 4411 on FM09 aand they certainly seemed to gain fluidity in both tactics

Ok. I'll give it a try and hopefully my players are able to do the same.

Hi guys. I just wanted to know if someone on here has found a solution to the problem of your players getting kicked straight into the hospital by opposition teams?

At least every second game I have a severely injured player because of some hard tackling form opposition defenders. The problem is they never even get a card for those tackles.

Has anyone a solution to how I can protect my players from those actions? Maybe let's say play an aggressive tackling game myself to show them that my players aren't to be messed with if they want to leave the field on their own two legs?

Hi guys. I just wanted to know if someone on here has found a solution to the problem of your players getting kicked straight into the hospital by opposition teams?

At least every second game I have a severely injured player because of some hard tackling form opposition defenders. The problem is they never even get a card for those tackles.

Has anyone a solution to how I can protect my players from those actions? Maybe let's say play an aggressive tackling game myself to show them that my players aren't to be messed with if they want to leave the field on their own two legs?

In your injured players' coach reports does it say they are 'susceptible to injuries'?

In your injured players' coach reports does it say they are 'susceptible to injuries'?

No I usually don't buy these players and it's not always the same player that get's tackled out of the game. Usually it's my attacking midfielders or strikers that get injured because they are met with hard tackling throughout the game.

The problem is that it is seldom punished by the refs. I also thought about playing with more time wasting to provoke more cards but it also seams to destroy the effectiveness of my attacking game.

No I usually don't buy these players and it's not always the same player that get's tackled out of the game. Usually it's my attacking midfielders or strikers that get injured because they are met with hard tackling throughout the game.

The problem is that it is seldom punished by the refs. I also thought about playing with more time wasting to provoke more cards but it also seams to destroy the effectiveness of my attacking game.

If your players have lower physicals (particularly strength & balance) then they can often get injured from hard tackling opponents. The same is true if they have low technical ability as they are either stretching to complete a pass or control the ball or they struggle to move it away from a contact area quickly enough - either way they'll end up being off balance and getting clattered, hence, injuries.

Increasing the tempo or passing length might help but will likely completely alter your tactical set-up.

I'd look more at the conditioning of your players. Are they going into games at 99-100%? Whilst I'll happily play a player with 96-98% this actually represents a fairly significant drop from peak condition and usually mean they will tire quicker than other players (all other things being equal of course).

Also, what's your training like? Intensive training with players that lack the stamina, natural fitness, work rate & professionalism to pull it off can often mean your players become more susceptible to injury.

Sometimes injuries are purely bad luck and it seems these things often come in clumps where a whole group of players get injured in a short space of time.