The 2012 Regional Databases Thread

nine_iron

Welcome to the 2012 Regional Databases Thread

This is a place where all those who create or enjoy databases for counties, provinces or any other local regions. We bring projects such as these together under one title as they quite often has challenges which that are unique to them, ones that one may not encounter in full fantasy, historical, nation or extended nation databases.

Release database threads- Threads for completed or updated databases

Wessex - ShanghaiNugget

United Counties of Lincolnshire and Humberside - Nine_Iron

FM 2012 Isle of Man - Dan BHTFC

FM2012 Yorkshire Nation - Dragonheat

The Nation of New South Wales - Jolanthustrel

Brittany - etxeberria

Corsica - etxeberria

Cornwall Nation - LazyFig

WIP threads- All threads for discussion of specific databases

[WIP] FM2012 West Outer London Nation - arkitekt

[WIP] FM2012 Hampshire Nation - McRichie

[WIP] FM2012 Regional League Nation of Surrey - Terry Austin

Requiring Beta Testers- Please contact respective database editors by PM

West Outer London Nation - arkitekt

Regional database specific threads- Useful threads that have questions, answers and discussions that are unique to regional databases

March 6th Crash

Lincs & Humber Database signup- Game thread

IMPORTANT NEWS: 6th of March crash has been fixed! Play on my friends!

If you would like your link to be included please PM me with the link, some details and I will aim to update this thread as quickly as I can.

Lastly I would like to thank Michael Foster for helping organise this part of the forum for the last few years, I have taken the liberty to resurrect this due to off topic posts in releated threads. I also wish all regional database creators and players the best of luck this year in all your endeavours.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guide to Creating a Regional Database - last updated 30/09/2012

Video version

[video=youtube;-dSjaGARXLs]

Be warned, it is VERY long, use the links to skip bits you don't need to view, experienced editors only need to watch parts 3 and 4.

Written Guide

I am swapping into a custom nation from England for this example, it will leave England in a playable and relatively untouched state:

NOTE: Enable editing the continent in the editor- see here.

1- Replace a Defunct nation... C.I.S ore Pre-1922 Ireland are pretty good, overwrite one with your nations details and clear out anything that is not relevant. Set its continent to Europe! (see above link)

2- Identify which cities you want to include in your nation and change their nation

3- Idenfity all the people associated with those cities and change nationality to your nation (see posts later in this thread on who to include and who to exclude from those who are born in your nation)

4- Add a league in the competition tab, name it and set its nation to your nation and with the correct continent.

5- Add a the required number of English teams from "A lower league" (they will take on your nations nationality but dont worry about it).

• A tip: try just 6-8 teams to start with and filter out any from the "a lower division" with a "Next Division" and "Last Division" set

6- In England identify the required teams, swap each time with a team from a lower league without a "Next Division" and "Last Division" set, if your identified team has one set manually change it to a team without one.

7- Continue this until all your teams are in a non playable league (below BSS/BSN on default database)

8- Swap the teams from your custom league into the non playable league, this will automatically correct the teams nationalities (handy isn't it :) ).

9- Europe only (as far as I know): Set all the spaces in the nations coefficient section to 0.20 (or 0.17), for more continental qualification places match your nations coefficients to a nation of the same level you want, if you get negative numbers for cup places in the game try different coefficients.

10-Add the national rules so your league is playable.

11- Test! - Note any potential changes or issues and revise

12- Repeat steps 4 AND 8 for the next league down, when adding custom teams there is no need to do step 8. Just set the nationality to your nation and the competition to your league.

13- When all your teams are in and all your leagues are done add some cups

14- Check all club relationships for possible feeder clubs in the same division as each other.

15- Test again! - Note any potential changes or issues and revise

16- add any extra details such as graphics, awards etc

17- Pop it up here for beta or release, depending on how the tests went :)

Always remember! Save often to a new file (1.00, 1.01, 1.02 etc), write down the major changes for each version and test frequently!

Guide to Testing a Database - last updated 23/11/2011

Here is a quick guide on how to test your database quickly and easily

Basic tips

• Load up just your nation

• Load a small database

• Turn off saving

• Holiday while unemployed

• *Optional* Subscribe to all your nations cups and leagues while removing any pesky awards you are subscribed to for your continent (This means you can just watch things about your nation ticker through.

This should take between 10 and 30 minutes to run a season, depending on your database size and PC speed. I have a pretty quick PC so takes just under 10 minutes!

• Review the leagues history, clubs financial status and squads to ensure things are going how you envisioned. Test in more detail as described below if necessary

• Make any changes for issues you noticed and test again

You can benchmark using a program called Novabench, My PC scores ~1000 without GPU tests, ~1300 with GPU tests (before overclocking)

Financial Testing

• Load up as described at the top

• Test the effect of league prize money and TV money seperatly from cup prize money, set cup prize money after financally testing the first two fully! (Its easy to get carried away and set Cup prize money but I strongly advise to do it last!)

• Holiday for one season, until just after the start of new season date (June 20th is the 2012 default)

• Add yourself as a manager to a few clubs of different reputations, check and note the finances (for each playable league if you have more than one)

• RESIGN FROM ALL CLUBS!!!

• Test until the end of the second season, check the same clubs again and compare how each leagues general income changes

• Adjust and test again until teams are financially stable for at least three seasons or are at whatever level you want in income.

• Add cup prize money for all cups.

• Test again to ensure teams are rewarded fairly.

• You should be done now :)

Stability Testing

• Load up as described at the top

• If desired add the "Parent Country" as playable or view only (eg England for databases for Hampshire, Yorkshire etc)

• Start a game and go to bed, work, shopping (TOP TIP: dont fall asleep before starting the game!)

• After 5 seasons see where you are and make adjustments to the database where required

• Repeat or do some more seasons if required

Ill post in here now regarding my Kingdom of Scunthorpe creation

I wrote over the Faroes and deleted everything to do with them, however I am worried that the regens will have Faroe names rather than English/Scunthorpian sounding names. I am adding about 100 players to the database. What else do I need to do?

Each name needs to appear twice for each nationality. So if you want Smith, you will need 2 people with Smith as their surname. A bit late now but easiest thing to do may have been to overwrite Great Britain, the names will be British for regens.

I have found with overwriting C.I.S that even just one version of a name can trigger its use, this is evident with some obscure but familiar real player names being reused for regens in my Lincs and Humber database, can be quite amusing and entertaining. If anyone has done a database not overwriting a defunct nation names do get a bit harder to deal with. If you can go back and start again it might just be worth it, keep your current database as a reference though!

Ill post in here now regarding my Kingdom of Scunthorpe creation

I wrote over the Faroes and deleted everything to do with them, however I am worried that the regens will have Faroe names rather than English/Scunthorpian sounding names. I am adding about 100 players to the database. What else do I need to do?

Make sure cities and local regions have English as their language. That should also make sure they have English names.

I'm thinking about remaking my NSW\ACT File again this year. I'm kind of torn between the unrealistic notion of setting up in Europe again, replacing a middling Asian Nation so I can play in the Asian Champions League or being stuck in an irrelivant lower competition with no way to climb up. Or stick them in Oceania replacing a Pacific Islands nation. If I stick them in Oceania, I quickly run the risk of becoming a big fish in a small pond because Even If I do manage to reach a high enough ranking, no one but Oceanic Nations play friendlies against you.

I'm kind of torn between the unrealistic notion of setting up in Europe again, replacing a middling Asian Nation so I can play in the Asian Champions League or being stuck in an irrelivant lower competition with no way to climb up. Or stick them in Oceania replacing a Pacific Islands nation. If I stick them in Oceania, I quickly run the risk of becoming a big fish in a small pond because Even If I do manage to reach a high enough ranking, no one but Oceanic Nations play friendlies against you.

Am I correct in thinking you want to follow these routes because of SI hard coding? If you can replace a defunct nation such as CIS and then use their continent setting to get them in the right place you might be able to get around such problems. I can have a go at testing if you want to see what I can do.

I'll be posting updates about my South Saxony nation here then. It's made up of Surrey, Sussex and Kent.

Super League 12 teams

Division One 12 teams

Division Two 12 teams

Division Three 12 teams

Alliance League 12 teams

Regional Leagues 34 teams split into 3 sub divisions of Surrey, Sussex and Kent.

Each league, teams play each other twice, but to make up the number of games played, there are also smaller "state leagues", named after the major towns with 4-6 teams in each.

There is also-

FA Cup (all teams)

FA Shield (winners of Super League and FA Cup)

Major League Cup (Super league, div1, 2 and 3)

Community Cup (Div 2, 3)

Alliance Trophy (Alliance and Regional teams)

Regional League Cup (Regional teams)

Surrey Senior Cup

Kent Invitational Cup

Sussex Challenge Cup

All of the above had been completed, I just need to tweak the cups (put finals as 1 legs, replays for some cups etc.), put in reserve and youth structures then I'll be testing before completing it all with television money, prize money, etc.

to make up the number of games played, there are also smaller "state leagues", named after the major towns with 4-6 teams in each.

That is an interesting solution to the problem, neat idea to answer the same problem I had which I solve with my "Humber Cup". I have found that for the top flight dividsion 12-14 teams is a good number when there are 5 or 6 quality sides, 8-9 are good for 2-4 teams and 10-11 is good for 3-4.

One question is how many league games per club are you aiming for? I try to get about 42-46, that I feel is plenty but not too much, teams top players then play about 30-35 games a year.

I'm more unsure how the continental comps will go if I try to jimmy myself in Asia\Oceania. I've de FIFA'ed a nation only for them to still keep playing in the O league.

Worth testing stuff just in case, thats how i find out most things

One question is how many league games per club are you aiming for? I try to get about 42-46, that I feel is plenty but not too much, teams top players then play about 30-35 games a year.

I'm hoping for roughly 36-40, plus cup games and plus European games which I doubt any of the clubs will succeed in.

I did a quick test and I dropped North Korea cause screw Kim jong-il. Seemed to crash at the 2nd round of 2018 WC Qualifiers and no signs of any continental football for the clubs. Might give it a test in Oceania tomorrow to see what happens before taking the unrealistic option of entering in Europe.

just a quick question....is it possible to set up rules for a club a la Bilbao? Want 1 team in my edit to be like Bilbao...cheers

I think for clubs like bilbo the rules are hard codes into the game. Short of making your own mini nation within a nation with its own language etc I am not sure of a way that would come even close to working. Sorry friend, do keep us up to date on your database however! I would encourage you to make a WIP (work in progress) thread to help you along the way, I can then list it here for interested people to find more easily.

Hmm. Slipping into Oceania also led to a crash around the same time. It can't be the Asian WC qualifiers because I qualified for the 2014 WC in my Oceania test.

Interesting fact #1 Using CIS my NSW team rose through the world rankings a lot faster than writing over an existing nation. Even though the same players were available, they also didn't suffer a defeat for almost 2 seasons.

Interesting Fact #2 Even though they're now ranked 69th in the world, They still haven't played an international friendly outside Oceania

I probably need to recreate Continental competitions for Asia\Oceania If I want to compete in them.

I probably need to recreate Continental competitions for Asia\Oceania If I want to compete in them.

You probably have one of the most significant challenges of all of us regional database editors, my Lincs and Humber side barely manages 1 win per every 3 years. A 1-0 freak win over hungary is the best i have seen in over 12 years of testing my current version. I just need external beta testers and I expect to be able to release it mid november. Its a pity I only have about 8 hours free a week for editing at the moment or it would be done sooner.

I'll be happy to have a look and a test.

I'm still trying to work out why I'm getting a crash dump 4 seasons in on my file though.

Rebuilding the O-League is going to be interesting. I'd probably have to delete my national rules and create continental rules using the same DB. I think I tried to do that last year but gave up on it.

My other challenge in Nationalising NSW is the lack of detail that exists for NSW in the game (though it's slightly better than some other Australian states, it's not as good as Victoria). And I'm still kinda torn between a realistic version and an idealistic version. (You know, where the government actually has money to build infrastructure to allow the population to decentralise. It actually takes more time to drive from Sydney to Broken Hill roughly 13 hours & 1100km than from Hamburg to Turin 11.5 hours and 1225 kms)

Sorry, now I'm ranting.

Towardinho, make sure the towns in your new nation have their language to the type of names you want. So if you want English sounding names, put English in, and if you want French, put in French, and so on.

Jolanthustrel, I was also stuck between whether to make Wessex a realistic or idealistic place, but I wasn't entirely sure how to make it realistic, or where I wanted them to be in the World Rankings. In the end, I accepted they wouldn't be on par with the world's elite, and took in to account the population of it and compared it to similar sized nations.

yeah thats what I have done and it seems to have done the trick....created a little dutch enclave in my nation, AFC New Holland...real place, a la Bilbao although trying to get them to sign on Dutch players hasnt worked....shame rules like that aren't in the editor.....just testing the hell out of my edit before general release....not sure how many people will be interested in a Kingdom of Scunthorpe save though haha...........

I've "completed" my South Saxon nation.

Please let me know of any errors, corrections and amendments that you recommend.

I have cleared all of the players from the clubs so hopefully, South Saxon nationals will be generated.

I've not yet done any testing, which I guess is silly, but I was too excited and wanted to upload it.

Download link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KA01YLJB

Gah! My game keeps crashing in 2015, either August or October. I didn't even move any A-League Teams this time. I can't see why it would crash as it's done a full four year cycle with my new nation with out any issues.

The timing tells me it might be to do with the international team? Although it could be that you've just had a once in a save glitch which has caused the problem and that this will not happen again if you try and pass the same point.

Thanks UH I'm thinking it might be the international side as well. I just realised the only comp not to run was the Olympic qualifiers as far as I can tell it might be the only one causing issues >_<

NZ Automatically qualify for the 2012 Olympic games, there's no qualifying tournament in the game for the 2012 games at least in Oceania. Even though Oceanic Olympic games qualification doesn't take place until march 2012

Edit:

Olympic Games Qualifiication is definitely the cause

I've "completed" my South Saxon nation.

Please let me know of any errors, corrections and amendments that you recommend.

I have cleared all of the players from the clubs so hopefully, South Saxon nationals will be generated.

I've not yet done any testing, which I guess is silly, but I was too excited and wanted to upload it.

Download link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KA01YLJB

Very generous with your prize money!

Very generous with your prize money!

Really? I thought the English Premier League was about £10m for the winner, maybe more. Anyway, I'm still in beta, and even thinking about starting again, taking over the CIS. I took over GB and I fear you can't get a senior national team with GB.

The Premier League prize money is around £20m for 1st place, but your new nation only has 3 'League' teams in there; Brighton, Gillingham, Crawley. £5m for 1st place is quite a bit for a nation with not much footballing prowess! However, would be interested to see how it effects the teams and the nation as a whole.

Really? I thought the English Premier League was about £10m for the winner, maybe more. Anyway, I'm still in beta, and even thinking about starting again, taking over the CIS. I took over GB and I fear you can't get a senior national team with GB.

That was what I thought would happen. Bad luck mate.

That was what I thought would happen. Bad luck mate.

To be honest, I always planned to do it again at some point anyway. I'd like to add some level 10 teams in there too to make a bigger nation. Probably have bigger divisions. And I've learned from a few mistakes.

The Premier League prize money is around £20m for 1st place, but your new nation only has 3 'League' teams in there; Brighton, Gillingham, Crawley. £5m for 1st place is quite a bit for a nation with not much footballing prowess! However, would be interested to see how it effects the teams and the nation as a whole.

In testing I have found for 2-3 league clubs about 1-3 million is about right. To try and spread the wealth I have used squad restrictions in some of my cups. In testing Scunthorpe or Hull mainly win the league, Boston or Lincoln win the Humber Cup and Grimsby Hull or Scunthorpe win the FA cup.

Cups have 1.5 mil for winners, plus about another 700k through the rounds, the Humber Cup is the same, money only coming after the group stages (at the moment).

I have found in testing the clubs accumulate cash fairly well, one or two are going over and loosing money but most top league teams add on about 500k to 3mil to their bank accounts each year, which I think is acceptable and sustainable. It allows growth for better stadia and training but also room to buy players and improve the league quality as a whole. If you get the rules right you should then be able to distribute that wealth through the league system via purchasing of youth players from the home nation from lower league clubs.

My beta is up tonight, I have to travel 2 and a half hours every weekend to see my wife so I only seem to get about 8 hours editing time a week at the moment as I'm doing 9 hour shifts, only in the same house as my PC 4 nights a week and having to go to bed early most nights as I am in work again at 7.30 am :( (writing this from work before the boss gets here :D )

I am yet to do my detail, my database is in beta (more like alpha lol) but I plan to add teams down to the level of the Humber Premier, its not very difficult as I have got databases from previous years to copy the details manually over from so its mainly just the labour.

Sadly I have hardly any time to edit at the moment as Im very tired after working 9 hour shifts then at weekends I am driving 2 and a half hours to see my wife. This weekend I am away for 5 days so no editing from Thursday to the following Wednesday!

So to say my database progress is slow is an understatement!

Hi Nine Iron,

Have you removed a European Nation in your file? I'm finding something weird in my own file, and I've now also seen it in ShanghaiNugget's Wessex File.

In regards to continental competition it goes all screwy for the qualification places. And so far we've been placed in the same WC Qualifying group (probably less of a coincidence)

No I have not, not seen anything weird yet. What is the exact issue?

EDIT: I have seen the Wessex thread now, I will investigate this but I have not noticed it so far with my file but I will investigate tonight.

Note to self... do not buy MoH: MW3

I did a quick test regarding the co-efficents and took an average of the bottom four nations. It's looking promising so far. San Marino went a bit screwy for the first season, but it sorts it self out next season.

Edit:

Very promising results. No crashes for 12 years. I think the co-efficents did the trick.

Ready to start building proper.

Now If only I could add proper flags also. It's a bit odd looking at the East German flag.

I took over CIS to create it, I have an updated file. It's not quite finished, I need to add in prize money and tweak a few things. I'd also like to bridge the gap between the top teams and the other sides, going to be hard, but I'm seriously thinking about changing at clubs bank balances. I know it's not 100% realistic, but at least it'll make for a more level playing field.

Download: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P1C9YW7Y

Hey Terry,

Something I did in previous years, to give every one a clean slate was to take a similar level division and average out their teams reputation and starting finances, then every club in my division started with the average money and reputation. As you say, it might not be realistic, but it will help you level the playing field at the start.

Archived