Regional League - Nation of Surrey

Terry Austin

I recently created the South Saxony nation, comprising of clubs from Surrey, Sussex and Kent, but I've decided to downsize to creating a nation of Surrey alone.

I will need to add a few clubs, only 30 are already on the game. I am ONLY using clubs whose home stadium is in Surrey, in other words, even though clubs like Crystal Palace, Sutton United and Carshalton Athletic are members of the Surrey FA and compete in the Surrey Senior Cup, they are not based in Surrey and therefore are not in this database.

I have the following currently planned:

Premier League - 12 teams

Division 1 - 12 teams

Division 2 - 12 teams

Alliance League East and West - 12 teams each.

FA Cup -All Clubs

Premier Cup - Premier Clubs

League Cup - Division 1 and 2 Clubs

Alliance Cup - Alliance Clubs

Charity Shield - Winners of Premier League and FA Cup

I need to create another 30 clubs, but may decide to change my plans if I feel it's too much effort.

I do understand about the work load thing. I am moving onto a Lincolnshire only database to delve deeper into the amateur ranks. I do not think 30 is too much, it depends on how much research you wish to do on each that will make the difference. Good luck with it, I will amend the regional database thread when I next log in from a PC rather than my phone

Kingstonian won't be in it as they are not in Surrey, they are in Kingston, Greater London. Believe me, it's with a heavy heart that they are not included, neither are the club I support (Crystal Palace).

nine_iron, I agree with what you say, I will do my best to add in AT LEAST 30 more teams. I have already started adding them.

My advice on boarder selection is to consider historical, cultural geographical and sociographic links between areas. For my Lincolnshire and Humberside nation I could not ignore the huge links in those areas between Hull and the south of the Humber, to do so would omit essential rivalries for many users of the database. I think the balance between inclusion and omission is the biggest task of all in regional databasework, the actual manual labour of moving, creating and editing pales in comparison.

I do find once you have found boarders that work it makes future databases significantly easier.

I must admit, I was very tempted to go the other way and include all teams that are members of the Surrey FA, Kinstonian, Carshalton Athletic........but also.......Chelsea?????? Really??

I guess I can have some kind of license but also like to work with black and white facts and modern boundaries are just that.

• 1 month later...

I have been working on this project a lot in recent weeks, although not updated this thread for a while. I have been carefully adding new teams (real teams), cities and stadiums.

I am hoping to release the final version by January 19th, but can't promise anything due to work commitments.

• 2 months later...

So nearly finished with this now, just a little touching up to do.

I have placed a lot of emphasis on "state leagues", where they take preference over the national structure. I just wanted to try something different. There are 8 "state leagues" and the winners go into the pre-season Presidents Cup. There is bigger prize money in the state leagues, although the national "Super League" will still provide European places if and when the country gets enough rep.

Change a lot of the structure from the original post-

Super League

Football League Division 1

Football League Division 2

Football League Division 3

Football League Division 4

National Football Alliance

Step 7 - A-League

Step 7 - Carnation League

Step 8 - Emerald League

Step 8 - Orion League

8x State Leagues

Presidents Cup (winners of states leagues)

Challenge Cup (FA Cup)

Victory Shield (super cup)

Super League Cup (Super League teams)

Football League Cup (Football League 1-4 teams)

Principal Challenge Trophy (Football League 3-4 teams)

Masters Cup (Alliance & Step 7 Clubs)

Surrey Trust Challenge Vase (Step 7 & 8 teams)

Regional Charity Cup (Step 8 teams)

Plus League Cup for each individual league from Alliance League & Below.

4 steps in Reserves structure + 4 Reserve Cups.

3 steps in Under 18's structure (split into groups) + 4 Under 18's cups.

Archived