FM12 Tottenham Hotspur Thread- The Best Team In North London

tottenham-hotspur-tottenham-fc-logo-maxi-poster-pp31694.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, commonly referred to as Spurs, is an English Premier League football club based in Tottenham, north London. The club's home stadium is White Hart Lane. Founded in 1882, Tottenham won the FA Cup for the first time in 1901, making it the only non-League club to do so since the formation of the Football League. Tottenham was the first club in the 20th century to achieve the League and FA Cup Double, winning both competitions in the 1960–61 season. After successfully defending the FA Cup in 1962, in 1963 it became the first British club to win a UEFA club competition – the European Cup Winners' Cup.[2] In 1967 they won the FA Cup for a third time in the 1960s. In the 1970s Spurs won the League Cup on two occasions and was the inaugural winner of the UEFA Cup in 1972, becoming the first British club to win two different major European trophies. In the 1980s Spurs won several trophies: the FA Cup twice, FA Community Shield and the UEFA Cup in 1984. In the 1990s the club won the FA Cup and the League Cup. When it won the League Cup once more in 2008, it meant that it had won a major trophy in each of the last six decades – an achievement only matched by Manchester United.

The club's Latin motto is Audere est Facere (lit: "To Dare Is to Do"), and its emblem is a cockerel standing upon a football. The club has a long-standing rivalry with near neighbours Arsenal. Matches between the two teams are known as the North London derby.

white%20hart%20lane4.jpg

White Hart Lane was originally a disused nursery owned by the brewery Charringtons and located behind a public house. The landlord realised the increased revenues he could enjoy if Tottenham played their matches behind his pub and the club moved in. They brought with them the stand they used at Northumberland Park which gave shelter to 2,500 fans. Notts County were the first visitors to 'the Lane' in a friendly watched by 5,000 people and bringing in £115 in receipts, Spurs won 4–1. QPR became the first competitive visitors to the ground and 11,000 people saw them lose 1–0 to Tottenham.

In 1905 Tottenham raised enough money to buy the freehold to the land and became the permanent owners of the ground. As the club grew new stands were added. A new main stand was added in 1909, the East stand was also covered this year and extended further two years later. The profits from the 1921 FA Cup win were used to build a covered terrace at the Paxton Road end and the Park Lane end was built at a cost of over £3,000 some two years later. This increased the ground's capacity to around 58,000 with room for 40,000 under cover. The East Stand development was finishing in 1934 which increased the capacity to around 80,000 spectators and cost £60,000. The pitch was renovated in 1952 which uncovered a number of items from the old nursery on the site and one year later the first floodlights were introduced. These lights were upgraded in 1957 which required the cockerel to be moved from the West Stand to the East and then in 1961 floodlight pylons were installed.

The West Stand was replaced by an expensive (and far behind schedule) new structure and the stadium started its long modernisation process. Various developments and upgrades were implemented over the years and in 1992 the lower terraces of the south and east stand were converted to seating and the whole of the North stand followed to become all-seater the following season. The South Stand re-development was completed in March 1995 and included the first giant Sony Jumbotron TV screen for live game coverage and away match screenings. The capacity of the stadium increased to just over 33,000. In 1997/98 season the Paxton Road stand had a new upper tier added which included the second Jumbotron screen and increased capacity to 36,240 and was funded by a rights issue in 1996.

Minor amendments to the seating configuration were made in 2006 bringing the current capacity of the stadium to 36,310.

article-0-09232858000005DC-79_468x515.jpg

When healthy, our team captain. A rock in defense, and someone who should be a regular for England. Perhaps when Harry Redknapp becomes England manager, he will get a real run in the team.

Squad Analysis

Goalkeeper

Brad Friedel is not going to be around much longer, but he’s probably the best keeper at the club in the first year. Gomes is still there and is certainly one of the best backups in the world. After the first season, you will probably need to look at bringing in a younger goalkeeper that can be our #1 for years to come, though Gomes can still do ok if you don’t have the money. Carlo Cudicini is still at the club, but is nothing more than a backup.

Full Backs

Despite emerging as an outstanding left back in real life, Benoit Assou-Ekotto is still not a particularly great player in the game. He will do the job, but he is not a long-term solution. Leighton Baines would be a good player to target in the future if you want an English player, and Fabio could be another option if you can convince Man Utd to sell him.

On the right side, Kyle Walker is your right back of the future. While Vedran Corluka is the better player at the beginning of the game, Walker should surpass him fairly quickly with enough playing time. Younes Kaboul can play there if necessary, though it’s not his best position. Kyle Naughton is away on loan at the start, but he could contend for the spot down the line. In short, this is a position you shouldn’t need to strengthen.

Centre Backs

This position will need upgrading in the near future. Ledley King and William Gallas are still excellent players, though they are injured at the start. Michael Dawson should be at the heart of the defense for years to come, and Younes Kaboul will be solid cover until King and Gallas return. Sebastian Bassong is available too, though he is not good enough if you eventually want to be winning the league. Steven Caulker, on loan at Swansea, is someone to keep an eye on for the future. After the first season, you will want to start looking at replacing King and Gallas for the long-term.

Midfield

By far our biggest strength. As we kept Luka Modric, we now have a midfield that may be the best in the league. Modric and Rafael Van der Vaart are creative forces, while Sandro and Scott Parker add some defensive steel. Steven Pienaar is a useful player to use as cover in the middle or on the wings. Tom Huddlestone is always underrated in these games, but is a solid squad player. Jake Livermore could be a face to watch for in the future if trained correctly.

On the wings, Gareth Bale is one of the best players in the game. Niko Kranjcar is very capable as his backup, but is expendable if you need money, considering how much midfield depth we have. Aaron Lennon is a good player on the right side, but has never lived up to his full potential. You may want to look at upgrading at some point. Iago Falque is at the club on loan, and could be reasonable backup.

Striker

Bringing over Emmanuel Adebayor on loan gives the attack a huge boost, and allows for a lot of flexibility in your tactics. He is very good as a lone striker, or with a partner. Jermain Defoe is still at the team, but he doesn’t look as good as he has in year’s past. Roman Pavlyuchenko is also someone who can fill in and do the job when needed to. On the youth side of things, Harry Kane could emerge as a top striker if trained correctly, so you’ll want to hold onto him. Adebayor’s loan is up at the end of the season, so if you’re not able to keep him, you’ll want to spend big on a new striker in the summer.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Club Information:

Screenshot2011-10-08at102447AM.png

Tactics

Screenshot2011-10-08at102424AM.png

I like the 4-4-1-1 formation myself. In FM 2011 I played with attacking wingers, but here I like Bale and Lennon back a little deeper. Parker and Modric work well together in the midfield, with Parker as a ball-winning midfielder, and Modric as an advanced playmaker. I like Van der Vaart as an attacking midfielder playing in behind a lone striker, which is usually Adebayor. Defoe doesn't seem to work as well in this formation as he did last year, so I generally bring in Pavlyuchenko when Adebayor's not playing. Corluka is first-choice for me right now, but Walker will probably take it over before January.

Some people may choose to go with a 4-4-2 instead. In this case, I would play Defoe as a poacher, and Adebayor as complete forward/support. I don't prefer this formation, as Van der Vaart is a huge part of how my team plays.

In terms of team instructions, I like us to play a fluid style, with a faster tempo. We're a great counter-attacking team, so I would check that box. We've got some great creative players, so I let them play more expressive with more roaming.

In terms of the staff, we are again in need of an overhaul. The only coaches I would really recommend keeping are Joe Jordan and Pat Jennings. Jose Segura, Pierre Mankowski, and Martin Hunter are a few I would look at bringing in. I would recommend getting rid of every physio and bringing in your own. Mick Brown and Ian Broomfield are good scouts, but you'll want to bring in your own handful to complement them. I would take a look at Malcolm Elias from Fulham, Ray Clarke from Middlesbrough, and Luciano D'Onofrio. A new assistant manager would be a good idea as well.

Just loaded up the demo and will be definitely looking to get some new scouts and upgrade the coaching staff. Those scouts you mentioned are good, I'm going to go around the teams and get some scouts that have good European and South Amerian knowledge

Im as stuck with choosing the best formation as Harry is.

Thought about 4411 first but if Adebayor gets injured i dont trust Defoe or Pav to play on their own.

Then i thought i actually want Sandro,Modric and Parker all playing in the middle. So i guess 1 up top is the way to go. But then i wanted 2 wingers too (Bale and 1 other) so that leaves VDV out which i dont want to do.

I dont rate Lennon at all, in real life either. His crossing and goalscoring has never improved and these days even when fit he doesnt seem to go past players. Too much of a spice boy i think.

So a Right Winger is a must but not sure who for the money i have. And i want shot of Pav too. He does my head in haha.

Decisions decisions

Im as stuck with choosing the best formation as Harry is.

Thought about 4411 first but if Adebayor gets injured i dont trust Defoe or Pav to play on their own.

Then i thought i actually want Sandro,Modric and Parker all playing in the middle. So i guess 1 up top is the way to go. But then i wanted 2 wingers too (Bale and 1 other) so that leaves VDV out which i dont want to do.

I dont rate Lennon at all, in real life either. His crossing and goalscoring has never improved and these days even when fit he doesnt seem to go past players. Too much of a spice boy i think.

So a Right Winger is a must but not sure who for the money i have. And i want shot of Pav too. He does my head in haha.

Decisions decisions

I'm using a 4-2-3-1 which suits our players pretty well.

Dos Santos is playing great for me on the right.

Staff changes:

staff.jpg

Resulting in all 4-5* coaches:

training.jpg

Friendly Results:

fixtures.jpg

Transfers:

players.jpg

-Two big strikers in, both paid for entirely over 48months

-Sad to lose Assou, but I'm using only 3 centre backs and a DM in my formation as Spurs have great DC options.

Glad to see a Spurs thread up! Was planning on waiting until the full game to start a game but couldn't hold out in the end. Only bought Matthew Briggs in from Fulham as DL back up to (hopefully) grow into my starter. Shipped out a lot of the kids on loan and agreed a deal for Mbaye Niang at the end of the season. COYS!

The squad looks great this year. BAE should have got better stats, and because of this i will unfortunately have to sell him. Its with a heavy heart, he is one of my favourite players IRL. I will use Bale at DL and give him an attacking role. Then i will use Kranjcar as an inside forward in a support role to make room for Bale. Lennon is not good enough, so i will also try to sell him, and use GDS and Pienaar instead. I think GDS as an attacking winger can work out really well.

VdV will play as AMC as an attacking midfielder in a support role. I want to keep him out of the box, spreading passes to Bale, Adebayor and GDS and scoring from long shots.

In the midfield i will play Parker as ball winning defence and Modric as deep lying playmaker support in the matches against lower/mid teams. Against top teams i will play Sandro or Thudd instead of Modric.

Im considering selling one of the keepers and bring in Marc-Andre ter Stegen, he looks like a beast, but he might be reduced a bit on the full version. If he wont be reduced he is really a must buy, he is nearly as good as Gomes already. I will try to loan at Friedel and keep Gomes as backup.

Bro, definitely keep Pav ! I rate him in real life, love the guy, so i'm always biased towards him in game and he's an absolute monster yet again ! Played as poacher alongside Adebayor he's got twelve in eight for me so far, albeit four were against Pruynik in the Europa League playoff !

I have gone a bit controversial with my spurs team and that is:

Tactic: 4-3-1-2

Gk: Gomes

Rb: Walker

CB: Dawson

CB: Bassong (will look to strengthen this area sooner rather than later)

LB: Bale

CMR: Huddlestone

CM: Parker

CML: Modric

AMC: V.Der.Vaart

STR: Defoe

STL: Adebayor

Just started the game, no signings as of yet, just a couple of staff brought in, I will be looking for a new centre back to replace the ageing gallas and injury prone king.

With this tactic though wingers will have to be sacrificed and that means lennon will be sold to free up funds for the rest of the squad in either defence and another forward, will let you know how i get on.

Hello all, looking forward to the full release, although I'm heading to the Spurs - Blackburn match at Ewood that weekend so I might struggle for playing time.

Just using the demo to have a look around and get a good look at the team and potential targets. The team looks good so far but will probably look to bring in a new striker as we seem a bit short up there and I tend to stick to my real life opinions, rather that how good the players are in the game, eg. Pav will be shipped out asap based on his Europa League appearances this season.

Will no doubt wait until Jan. because I tend not to have transfer budgets in first window as I prefer teams to stick with what they have.

Looking forward to getting Spurs back into the Champions League though and hearing how you're all doing too!

Thats almost exactly the formation i'm using bro, except i'm using a central midfield and a right and left with an attacking centre;

GK : Gomes

RB : Walker

CB : Dawson

CB : King

LB : Assou-Ekotto

RM : Lennon

CM : Parker

LM : Bale

AMC : Van Der Vaart

STR : Adebayor

STL : Pavlyuchenko

No signings made at all, Very attacking formation but it's working ridiculously well. Played ten games not including friendlies, won eight convincingly including a nice victory against United, drew against Anderlecht and lost against Liverpool !

Has anyone used Iago Falque ? I find him to be an incredible impact player, he's scored four in five sub appearances for me !

Carlos Tevez for £14m over 48months....you have to play with the wage budget a bit, but he's well worth it and willing to take quite a pay cut (I'm paying him £140,000)

i got tevez tho i payed £40m over 48 months £160,000 a week rising to £220,000 after 30 games wouldnt pay that sort of money in the real game but as its a demo thought **** it and he has scored 14 in 12 for me!! also brought samba for £19m over 48 months and baines £15m over 48 months sold pav and gio for bout 12m combined im sitting top of the league unbeaten at the mo after bout 12 games playing 4-2-3-1 im also playing the kids in the europa and doing ok livermore looks like he could be a real player and tom carrol has done ok also despite his modest stats

my starting 11 is this

GK: Gomes

DR: Walker (support)

DC: Samba (Defend)

DC: King/Dawson (Defend)

DL: Baines (support)

MCR: Parker/Sandro (BWM Defend)

MCL: Modric/Huddlestone (DLP Support)

AMR: Lennon (Winger Attack)

AMC: VDV (AM Support

AML: Bale (Winger Attack)

SC: Tevez (DLF Support)*

*If i play adebayor i change to complete forward or defoe advanced forward

europa im playing

GK: Friedal

DR: Corluka (support)

DC: kaboul (Defend)

DC: bassong (Defend)

DL: Bae (support)

MCR: Livermore (BWM Defend)

MCL: Carroll/Huddlestone (DLP Support)

AMR: Piennar/Kevin De Bruyne got him for £1.4m (Winger Attack)

AMC: Kane/Niko (AM Support

AML: Townsend (Winger Attack)

SC: Defoe/Adebayor

Am also playing 4-2-3-1 (am usually a 4-4-2 nut so trying something new for the demo). The team has been set to be fluid and attacking.

League/FA Cup:

GK: Gomes

DR: Walker (Full-back Suppport)

DC: Dawson (Defend)

DC: King/Kabul (Defend)

DL: BAE (Full-back Suppport)

MC: Parker (BWM Defend)

MC: Modric (AP Support)

AMR: Lennon (Winger Attack)

AMC: Van Der Vaart (AP Support)

AML: Bale (Winger Attack)

SC: Adebayor (Poacher)

Euro/Carling Cups

GK: Friedel

DR: Corluka

DC: Bassong

DC: Kaboul /Gallas

DL: BAE

MC: Huddlestone

MC: Sandro

AMR: Dos Santos

AMC: Kranjcar

AML: Pienaar

SC: Defoe/Pav

-I still prefer to send my youths out on loan so I don't have many I really want to play so using plenty of subs here.

I'm looking forward to starting a Spurs save although i'm a Man City fan. I think using the Spurs will be more of a challenge. I plan on bringing an English and Brazilian youth. Plan on using either a 442 or 441, like the idea of using a

classic 442 with some Brazilian creativity in the midfield. I plan on starting out with a 4411 to take advantage of VDV but my first signings will be Douglas Costa from Shaktar and Leoandro Damiao from Internacional.

Hope this works, I've been using the teams I put above and have not signed anyone thus far despite being given and extra £25M to spend.

The only defeat so far has been to Arsenal in the Carling Cup - they put out a strong side and I went with my subs/reserves. Have got goals coming from so many players its been amazing - although I've conceded many more than I would have wanted.

Results:tottenhamhotspurfixture.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Squad: tottenhamhotspursquadpl.png

League: englishpremierdivisiono.png

i got tevez tho i payed £40m over 48 months £160,000 a week rising to £220,000 after 30 games wouldnt pay that sort of money in the real game but as its a demo thought **** it and he has scored 14 in 12 for me!! also brought samba for £19m over 48 months and baines £15m over 48 months sold pav and gio for bout 12m combined im sitting top of the league unbeaten at the mo after bout 12 games playing 4-2-3-1 im also playing the kids in the europa and doing ok livermore looks like he could be a real player and tom carrol has done ok also despite his modest stats

They took you for a ride...Tevez was transfer listed so they agreed 14m...sadly we couldn't agree terms so I ended up paying 15m on my second attempt.

FuSs, do you mind elaborating on your tactics more? Can I see how your team lines up and the tactics? You've had an unbelievable pre-season!

Hi Laker9, nice to have you on the forum.

I'm afraid I'm still experimenting at this stage, but the tactic is based on my highly successful tactic on from FM11 (still on the first page of the tactic sharing forum).

I've just finished the 6month limit of the demo and have not lost a single game of the inc beating Chelsea, Man U, and Arsenal (drew with Man City).

So far FM12 looks like FM11 with a rubbish interface set to easy game mode!

Hi All New to the Forum ... Massive Spurs fan just about to play the demo...How long does it last can you play 1 full season??

Hey bro, welcome to the forums :) ! You can play a half season, I beleive it ends on the first of january. Hope to hear how you get on, good luck ! COYS !

Solid start to the season for me with a 2-0 win over Wolves (Modric pen and Defoe) but typically, van der Vaart is out for 3 months!

Probably going to do an 'Arry and stick with 4-4-2, especially as Adebayor and JD look good up front together, but wondering where I'll fit Sandro in when he comes back. Thought about shifting Luka out to the right wing, but Lennon's been fantastic in pre-season and, unusually, for England so far.

I tried to get Beckham but he was having non of it lol .... Thing with spurs you dont need to sign to many players maybe a class centre half cahill would be good... Looking at the midfield thats solid but its getting them all on the pitch... I play 4-4-1-1 With Raffa just behind Addey Wich means JD and pav are getting the hump . Sandro and Tommy H cant get a game right now...

Archived