Does anyone else just hoard players?

My team could probably field 3 good teams with only minor use of the reserves. I'm writing out my players and what positions they play and there is a massive glut of people, especially in attacking midfield positions. So far only Babel has complained about playtime and I'm surprised he is the only one so far. It doesn't help I can't offload the ones who are decent but outshone by someone else, not even on a loan or at market value.

So, does anyone else just hoard players? It is summer so now all the newgens come out to play and I just can't let them sit and get bought up by other teams.

Yeah I like to have quite a few players. I don't have a 'Best XI', I prefer to have a Best XXII so I have 2 players for each position who are interchangeable so I always field a strong team. In addition, I like to have a youth XI who can play in a number of first team games as well. Sometimes these youth are in the best XXII and some players cover multiple positions, so I guess I have 27 or 28 players who get quite a few games in the season. Then I have a number of has-beens who I can't offload who sit in my reserves and earn £100k per week.

I used to when I was younger but as I've got older and played more versions I've become a very ruthless and often unsentimental with my descisions.

But at the moment I'm playing in the Blue Square North on my current and you don't really have a choice! You have to keep your squad paper thin.

I prefer sticking with My best 18-19, and maybe 3 high potential ones, but hose are mostly included in my best 19.

This is great for my wage bill, and makes sure that I can keep a great team in a smallish league. It also means all of them get all the playtime they want, and their value shoots up much faster.

Only disadvantage is an injury crisis one every 3 years, although I try to keep this limited by getting rid of all the players that get injured too many times to my liking. Benefit of the smallish league is that you can easily interchange some great players for crappy free youth, and you will still be able to win games rather easily.

I do that also, have around 25-26 players who can play a good game all of the time. Sure, if you coach poor teams you can't do that, but I am coaching Shakhtar and they are the richest club in Ukraine, plus de success we have brought us lots of money, so it is sustainable. However, when I coach small teams, I usually have no more than 15 key players and around 5 youth players with lots of potential.

I also, seem to be doing that, but I end up sending about 10-12 promising players on laon every season... Also, I only keep older players if they're good fot tuoring or have great staff attributes and sign as player/coach... Again, through shrewd negotiation and a habit of buying youngsters and turning them into first-teamers, I've managed to keep my highest paid player's wage at £ 5K up until my fourth season, although I expect it to rise considerably this year, seeing as I won the CL last season...

• SI Staff

I couldn't afford to hoard players in my game.... until I got given £24M to spend when I got to the Premiership and couldn't help myself. Now I have to loan loads out to other teams just so that they are getting first team football.

I quite fancy managing in a country that have B-Teams and taking control of them as well once I've sorted out my first team.

It's a strong temptation, especially since AI clubs seem to let so many good players go without renewing their contracts...

Hard to resist signing plenty of known faces even though they'll often end up not playing enough, becoming unhappy and being loaned out or sold. Still, worst case scenario means profit ;)

The problem is I haven't learnt yet to be cold-hearted, so if it's a player I like or someone who has served the club well, I won't have the heart to offload him unless it's really really necessary

I've always dreamed of a solution where you can introduce new squads to a club, similar to the B-team feature, only that you can fully manage these squads like a reserve-team and add more than one. In FM09 I had a setup with Ajax where my reserve competed in the Belgian first division and my youth squad played in some country I don't recall now. It was great trying to become champion in three countries at a time.

I do tend to bring in a lot of players, then fail to sell the surplus ones. I also tend to bring in a lot of quality players I don't really need if they're cheap. For example, I made a couple of big signings, Ronaldo and Tevez because they were available. Had to Sell Tevez as I had Torres, Lukaku, Baston Livaja all as strikers and tevez wasn't performing. Got Modric for 6 million. Getting Dzeko and Robben in the summer on frees. I don't need them as I've already got top quality players and quality backups, but I can't help myself.

I wouldn't say I hoard players, I just suddenly end up with far too many. It's the regens that do it, I can't help but snap up great regens even when I don't need them, and with the over-18s only rule in South America and outside the EU, I end up getting a sudden influx of players a few years down the line and my squad gets massive! I have a clearout of the regens who won't make it for me at the end of every season, but I end up with having 6 strikers who are good enough and just keep loaning them out until I can bring myself to get rid of a couple!

This is one of the reasons I'm going for an All-british Chelsea team on my current save, stops me hoarding the best south Americans and gives me more of a challenge.

I'm in my 2nd season and have more then 60 players who are all playing. I bought around 50-something (-9) till this point and only sold L. Traore, but in the next transfer window i'm selling at least a couple. Need the money for wages :) I basically have enough players for 3 teams x 22 players, and almosto all of them are potential -9.

Here's the roster I drew up. The little crown means that is who plays that position best. I forgot to put Shelvey and Gerrard in the midfielder section. As you can see I have a massive glut in the attacking midfield area. Lucky for me that can have a lot of guys assigned to it during a game so I can sub out people and rotate them.

Unfortunately wingers like Maxi and Kuyt are often left out in the cold because I just don't have their best position in use a lot of times. They are quality though and bring home the bacon when I do play them. I want to get rid of Konchesky so bad but no one will buy him or take him on loan and I can't even terminate his contract because the boards stops me. I might add a manager and manage some team I don't care about and sell him off.

Archived