FM 11: OFFICIAL Alex Smithies (Future STAR, cheap keeper)

Mr. D

I noticed there is no thread about Alex Smithies (Huddersfield). You can sign him at the start of the game for EUR 725.000

He is good enough to play him from the start and he will become England's nr. 1 and be a true legend.

Anyone signed him? Show some print screens of how he is doing in your game, whether you have or haven't signed him doesn't matter!

oa0oif.jpg

4r40nr.jpg

im blackpool and i can get smithies for 825k is he good enough to play 1st yr in premier league as my number 1?

yes he is....

buy him and he will become a legend.. of course now and than he will make little mistakes, but if you look at older keeper available, expeccialy for blackpool.... there are no better ones, so it's better to build your team and have him as your goalkeeper the next 15 years

I find Smithies to be incredibly consistant for a young keeper. I had him at Arsenal since season one and he's since made over 100 appearances in all competitions. I don't think he's had a bad game for me.

He's really solid attribute wise without being really outstanding. What's best about him is how cheap you can get him. £600,000 for a keeper with good potential is a bargain.

I don't really want to buy him on FM11, it would make the game all too 'samey' from FM10.

It would feel like I am constantly buying the same players :(

He looks as good as he did last year, shame he has a limitation on his PA.

He was one of my best players in first season of my blackpool save (finished 7th) and now in the beginning of 2nd season he is England #2 and just won his first cap as Hart was injured. His attributes haven't improved much in a year but he has still to have a bad game for me.

• 1 month later...

Would you say he needs a tutor to help him develop, or does he progress happily without any tutoring? I am currently playing him in Cup matches and he is playing in my reserves, however I would love to improve him even further. Any suggestions of who would be a good tutor who I could sign for Reading, first season?

His rating would be higher if we allowed him to go to stoke, & if he wanted to go :p

true town lad :D

his rushing out is so under rated.

the first thing he did on his debut was rush out, does it most games.. not only does he anticipate the situations but he actually gets there.

• 1 month later...
Would you say he needs a tutor to help him develop, or does he progress happily without any tutoring? I am currently playing him in Cup matches and he is playing in my reserves, however I would love to improve him even further. Any suggestions of who would be a good tutor who I could sign for Reading, first season?

He doesn't need a tutor first season, but in my second season I brought David James to Blackpool and had him tutor Smithies and he developed much, much quicker. I rotated him and James in season 2 after inconsistency from Smithies in season 1, but by the end of season 2 he became my automatic #1. I'm in season 4 now and he's great! David James is still around as my GK coach, as well.

Here's Smithies in September 2013:

smithies.jpg

I've loved this guy as a goalkeeper since last year on fm10 when i discovered him when playing as Town! I was playing online with my old clan and i first found out about him when one of the clan members offered a large amount for him and insisted he would be better off at his club to train. Common sense would instantly tell you, he knows something good about this guy, so i rejected the £4mil on offer (which is a lot for a club in league 1). I took town to the Premier League with consecutive top spots in league 1 and championship, thanks to Smithies.

I haven't had much chance to use him on FM11, but i'm the England manager and i have picked him out as my number 1 as i know how good he really is! Unfortunately, he will never be anywhere near as good as my Man Utd goalkeeper Rene Adler who had 23 clean sheets in 38 games in the league last season!

I started a save as Ajax and went to buy Smithies, and he wasnt interested in talking about a contract ??

seriously why wouldnt he want to join a top European team in the Champions league :s :s

It's because he's English- I always have trouble signing them when playing as a team abroad. Then, even if you can get to a contract offer to them, they ask for ridiculous wages.

Meh, I guess it's realistic.

Archived