The Annual "Give Youth A Chance" Challenge - Can It Ever Be Done?

Well well well we are back again - after a Very successful FM09, this challenge really struggled last year, mainly (IMO) due to making it far too long with extending it right down to tier 10.

Im proposing this thread to be back to how it was in 09, when I with Staines got to the Championship, and Marky Mark had huge success with Merthyr Tydfil, taking them to the Premiership. However, this challenge has still yet to be completed - can this be the year?

I think It definitely can - the game seems quick, success is documented to entice people, but then again this is the hardest challenge ever to grace these forums!

As usual, follow the dafuge rules, but with the key exception as we all know - NO SIGNING PLAYERS! :D

The Aim

To take a small club who were previously unplayable in the game from the Blue Square N/S to Premier League and Champions League glory.

The Rules

Just like last year, to make sure that the eligible teams have the correct squads, we will be using a .ddt file to retain the players for those teams: Download Link, Download Link 2 Download Link 3. If for any reason this doesn't work, let me know, I'll fix it.

Here's where it needs to go:

W7: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2011\data\updates\update-1110\db\1110\edt

Steam: C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/football manager 202011/data/updates/update-1110/db/1110/edt/

To make sure it is working, when you set up your game, go to preferences - extra files. You should see it listed and ticked in there like this.

Load a game with the English leagues only, with the Blue Square N/S selected, a large database (or smaller if preferred), the attribute masking, real players and transfer boxes ticked and the add key staff box unticked. It should look like this.

In addition this year, for those of you who want to add to the database to make things more competitive at the top level in the long term, you can set the database level to custom to add the players for the top clubs in each continent. It should look like this. This is purely optional, but no extra players can be loaded on top of this, this is the limit.

The extra levels of detail that you can change while in the game are up to you, as they shouldn't make a difference.

Add yourself as an unemployed manager, the details are not important at all. I like to call mine 'Holiday Man'.

Go on holiday until 25th June, this shouldn't take too long, perhaps about an hour. Saving on 24th June may give you a better choice of teams by reloading the game then going on holiday for one day, I would strongly recommend trying this.

Retire your 'Holiday Man' manager, shed a tear, do what you need to do then move on.

Add a new manager, the options are up to you but 'past experience' must be set to the lowest possible which is 'Sunday league footballer'. I understand that choosing different nationalities may have an effect later on, but I trust people will be sensible with this. I would expect people to use their own true nationalities.

When adding a new manager, choose one of the new clubs promoted to the Blue Square North or South to manage. They should appear in this list which also shows the reputation of the possible clubs. The reputation should act as a difficulty level, the lower the reputation, the harder your game should be.

It is now up to you to manage this club all the way to the Premier League title and UEFA Champions League crown.

Tips from me:

This challenge is all about making the most of what you have got - when you start you will probably have a reasonable squad that is well capable of getting promoted even from the lowest tier. This squad is ESSENTIAL to your success and will be the backbone of the club for the first 5 or so years, use it wisely and dont sell too many to early.

Try to get as many players as you can on full time contracts as early as possible.

Give you're youth players a chance! Even as early on as the first season try out some of the youths, even if you're coaches say they are useless and you should 'offload them asap' that dosent always mean you should discard them totally. Look for key stats which some of they have and see if they can fit in, by key stat I mean what they are best at, and seeing whether they can prove any use. For example, If a youth is on the whole a poor player, but has a high flair stat, I always give him a chance, he may turn out to be a usefull little creative player.

Watch out for the 30th of June - check the contract length of your squad, as many may run out on this date and leave the club, leaving you f*cked.

Good luck all - please be patient and be prepared for 'failure' those who take on this epic challenge. Im going to holiday overnight and get going tomorrow.

Cheers all! :thup:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good Luck to anyone attempting this:thup:

I am attempting a youth challenge with IK Tord in the Swedish 4th tier

Thanks mate, all comments very gratefully received.

Was just gonna say really, those browsing please do try get your support in, this challenge is exceptionally difficult, and also with those who take it up, more frequent updates, especially those about the youth players as they are the point in this challenge!

Im, holidaying again as my holiday f*cked up and went on for 2 weeks longer than it shouldve.

Cheers all!

I'm in, although I'm not sure how long I'll last. I've been involved in the dafuge challenge ever since it started way back in FM2006 but this should be a nice change.

I don't expect it to be my main save but I'll play it along with a more traditional save on the side. Hopefully the challenge will get plenty of support

Thanks mate, all comments very gratefully received.

Was just gonna say really, those browsing please do try get your support in, this challenge is exceptionally difficult, and also with those who take it up, more frequent updates, especially those about the youth players as they are the point in this challenge!

Im, holidaying again as my holiday f*cked up and went on for 2 weeks longer than it shouldve.

Cheers all!

Holidaying longer than you told it to seems to have happened to a lot of people over on dafuge's challenge. I guess you could counter it by putting the date you come back to 2 weeks earlier.

I'm in, although I'm not sure how long I'll last. I've been involved in the dafuge challenge ever since it started way back in FM2006 but this should be a nice change.

I don't expect it to be my main save but I'll play it along with a more traditional save on the side. Hopefully the challenge will get plenty of support

Good luck mate - probably a good idea to combine this with another save game with the lack of signings you can make on this one! Hopefully you can go far!

I will start, holidaying it now :) Hoping to get a team like Marine or Swindon Supermarine, because they have badass names :)

Got Marine, hope I can get far in this game.

Welcome and good luck mate.

Gonna give this a shot :D

Welcome and good luck mate.

Remember everybody to post your manager profile when you have your team sorted everybody - great to see so many in already!

Remember this thread for team save games - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/234410-FM11-Dafuge-Challenge-Saves-Thread-(-w-Large-DB)

Im about to start with Leamington.

Gonna be boring and go Salisbury City, mainly because of the number of staff, though I don't have an ass man.

Have set up a few money spinning friendlies, the theory being make money towards upgrading youth facilities which are currently basic. According to coach reports all the youth players that came through have a potential of half a star though a few of them look pretty decent.

Played my first friendly and this happened, where did that performance come from considering we scraped through 1-0 against the reserves. I don't want to jinx myself so I'll say it's a one off.

Dan: Unless Steboy has relaxed the rules a bit you're not allowed to sign staff either. The way to do it is look at getting your older players to take up a staff role at some point. I guess if you start with no staff there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to sign a couple to start you off, need a physio for example and at least an ass man and a coach.

Edit: Actually the o.p does say no signing players, not mentioning staff, I'll wait for an answer too...

Dan: Unless Steboy has relaxed the rules a bit you're not allowed to sign staff either. The way to do it is look at getting your older players to take up a staff role at some point. I guess if you start with no staff there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to sign a couple to start you off, need a physio for example and at least an ass man and a coach.

Edit: Actually the o.p does say no signing players, not mentioning staff, I'll wait for an answer too...

The actual rule is that you CAN sign an assistant manager or physio BUT his/her reputation must be obscure. However, the challenge is only completed when ALL your staff have been ever present with your club.

Not sure why I went with Evesham United, but here goes :cool:

Evesham United [bSN] - 2011/2012

evesham.png

Media Prediction: 22nd

Actual Finish: 5th (promoted via Playoffs)

Information

Facilities

League Table

League Positions

Team

Team Ratings

To be honest, I didn't expect this result and am sure that I'm going to suffer dearly for it in the BSP (relegation here I come!). That said, it was an amazing season that had some incredible highs and a tight finish that had me jumping out of my seat.

Evesham started with a barebones team that forced me to pull from the U18 squad to just make enough for a friendly. In hindsight that is probably what helped me with the season as I ended up trusting these youngsters as Super Subs.

Hired an obscure Ass Man and Physio to shore up my staff needs. Ollie Rowland (DM/CM) accepted a role as a Player/Coach which has helped my attacking training (3 stars).

Season

As you can see, it took me a little while to figure out how to run my squad. We ended up with a team that swapped between 442, 433 and 41212. The wide players were a definite weakness with the "best player" constantly in the 6.0-6.5 ratings per game. They came up big in the last games so unfortunately I can't complain too much .

From the beginning of October to the beginning of January, we went on a 12 game unbeaten streak that got us into 1st position with 6 points to spare. We were feeling good, but then lost a game and confidence started to plummet. After that, it was a battle for survival as the Luke Powell struggled to score and the various injuries impacted us.

We stumbled into the last game 3 points and 1 GD above Alfreton for the final playoff spot. Unfortunately that game was against League winners Stafford. The plan was to shut down and keep the inevitable loss as low as possible. We ended up losing 0-2 and then it was just waiting for Alfreton's score. Fortunately, they drew and we were in the Playoffs!!

Playoffs

The team had no confidence entering the playoffs and it didn't help that Solihull had destroyed the team 0-4 the last time we met. Taking a risk, we reverted to season starting strategy of parking everybody back and hoping that our youth and speed could see us through. Things started out badly as Solihull took an early lead and all seemed lost before our secret strategy of sending nice vintages to the refs worked (now we know what the "Non-Football Costs" mean :p). Solihull had their midfielder red carded before halftime and we threw everything at them after halftime to even the score. The game ended at a 1-1 draw

Game 2 was even more testy. We scored early this time and just setup shop in the hopes of grinding out an ugly win. Unfortunately Solihull equalized on a corner (our set piece defense has been horrific). Once again, they had a man sent off which helped quite a bit. We went to penalties where our keeper was able to stop 1 shot for a 4-3 shootout win (1-1 final score).

Finally, the finals and it was against Tamworth, a team we hadn't lost to the entire season. Of course, we hadn't beaten them either (1-1 and 0-0 draws) :rolleyes: . The game started horribly as they jumped out to a 1 goal lead 19 minutes in. After that it was Tamworth on the backfoot as we threw the entire team at them. Our keeper and wide midfielders (players the fans and press had been calling on to be sent back to the reserves) finally showed their worth. The game went into penalties again and fortunately Tamworth's first shot went wide. After that it was just a waiting game to get promoted!

FA Cup

Got to the First Round courtesy of a soft draw.

FA Trophy

Soft draw again that got us into the First Round

Players of Note

Luke Powell - The little guy who could. He couldn't jump, could barely dribble, got caught off-sides 2-3 times a match, but always popped up to score. Ended up as the League Top Goalscorer with 24 goals (2 more in Cup competitions), 8 MotM and a rating of 7.05 Unfortunately, he went cold for the last 10 games of the season which coincided with our drop in position

Graeme Carrick - The central midfield was great with Ollie and Graham basically keeping us in the game. When they disappeared, all our offense went as none of my Strikers could deal with balls over the top. Not the greatest stats, but the composure and strength kept us in the game.

Nathan Vaughan - Our keeper. Never had a great game, and his tendency to rush out put us in trouble quite often. Couldn't clear a ball in the box to save his life, but somehow won every one on one. 59 goals conceded, 12 clean sheets as well.

Zac Costello - The brute at the back. 18 yellows, 1 red in league play (and a MotM!). 6 or 7 suspensions, but when he wasn't in, we leaked goals like a sieve. Managed to stay suspension free near the end which helped quite a bit.

Danny Kempster - 16 year-old Super Sub. Scored on his first substituted game and continued to do better then his stats should have allowed him to do. Even did well in the brief stint as a starting forward.

The year's intake isn't very good, but here are the youths of note:

Ben Hazel - Made limited appearances last year and just seems too slow, but my coaches are high on him. Converting to a CM where his lack of speed won't hurt him as much. I like the Workrate and Teamwork, so hopefully he'll be a good linkup.

Brad Keehan - Much like Hazel, he's made limited appearances. However, he's done extremely well in those couple of games so I'm hoping that he'll continue to grow into a DM.

Lee Halford - Up and coming DR. Has the speed which is what I'm lacking on the wings as well as some flair. I'm converting him to a MR as I don't think he has marking/tackling to make a good DR.

Ercan Kuzu - Lots of flair, determination, and workrate. Needs some finishing help, but I'm hoping he'll grow there.

Expectations in BSP

To be honest, I'm not sure what to expect in the BSP. My one game against a BSP opponent was in the FA Cup and we lost badly. Then again, I expected us to be in the lower half of the table in the BSN and we ended up on a run. My goal is to once again be solid in the back and get draws and 1 goal wins. I also have to shore up our 6 yard box defense. I think a good 25% of the goals that were scored are from corners and free kicks where the ball ends up bouncing around the 6 yard box before the other team slots it in.

I have been able to convert my retiring midfielder into a Coach with 3.5-4.5 in fitness which should help our fitness.

I'm back on board for 2011. I did this in 2009 & I was really getting into it but my save failed with half a season gone and I lost interest after that. I didn't fancy it last year with all the extra leagues. I'm glad its back to BSS BSN level this year. I'm in as Kingstonian....

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx49/goodingp/PG-YTHCHALLENGE.jpg

FC United hire Barlow as manager
Gonna be boring and go Salisbury City, mainly because of the number of staff, though I don't have an ass man.

Have set up a few money spinning friendlies, the theory being make money towards upgrading youth facilities which are currently basic. According to coach reports all the youth players that came through have a potential of half a star though a few of them look pretty decent.

Played my first friendly and this happened, where did that performance come from considering we scraped through 1-0 against the reserves. I don't want to jinx myself so I'll say it's a one off.

Am going to attempt this challenge for the first time. might be tricky due to me usually building my way up quickly based on the signings i obtain. will let everyone know the club i pick, but what are the rules regarding staff?
Decided to start this and I am going with Sutton United :)http://i54.tinypic.com/idho2f.png

No decent youth whatsoever first season so I'll probably just play with the squad I start with :/

Good luck to all of you, great to see the interest flowing at this early stage

Great challenge folks. I'm currently doing the Big Euro Nation Small Club... challenge, but I'll keep an eye on this one and may well dip my toes in further down the line. Good luck everyone!
Just for the record I'll must likely give this a go at some point. Im playing as Worcester City at the moment and its my long term game so after that I will probably do this, maybe in Scotland though if thats ok?

Cheers for the encouragement guys, really appreciated. :thup:

Sorry for the third post in a row, but just an update on my scenario - lost computer access for around 8 days so have been stalled - nevertheless Im back up and running again now and really excited to get into it, especially with this new patch on the horizon, come on the Matlock!

Also, colifire, sensational season mate - fantastic to see some early success in such a difficult challenge, looks like you have a squad at a decent age, especially Powell at 21, and Kempster what a superb story! although I must admit I would not trust Vaughan in goal. I think you have some good youths there who could certainly be at the club for a while, Halford and Keehan to me look to have potential, did they come through your first intake (as in when you were a BSP club) or were they there at the start of game? Anyway great update mate, hope to hear more of the same.

:thup:

I've been delayed too but I'm ready to start now. I have decided to switch teams. The Kingstonian set-up looked a little too good. I'm kicking things off with Carshalton Athletic. The pressure is on now colifire has made such a storming start!

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx49/goodingp/caryth.jpg

I don't often look around these parts, but my this is a challenge. Im onboard

Good luck guys :thup:

Matlock Town 2011/12 Pre-Season

So, here we go then, 86 season tickets sold, no movement in the transfer window, the challenge begins!

As I've always said, your initial squad is essential and if you are lucky they are decent and most importantly are at a good age to develop and keep you going. Looking at the Matlock squad I think Im up for a real challenge - they are nowhere near the quality of my successful Staines squad of two years ago, and also the age Is a bit of a worry, especially the goalkeepers, both at 34 I could be in for a nasty shock if my youth doesn't come through, another underlying problem is a lack of pace throughout the side (especially upfront!)

Anyways, onwards and upwards - our friendly results:

Friendlies:

Matlock 1 (Haran 78') - 2 Chesterfield: A really good game for us, 800 or so through the gate, an excellent performance against a strong League Two outfit. Player/assistant manager Mark Haran nicked our goal late on with a good header.

Matlock 1 (Cropper 28') - 3 Eastbourne Boro: A disappointing day, a meagre 82 through the gate to watch us be second best. Saying that Boro again are a decent side and we weren't embarrassed. Big man upfront Dene Cropper smashed home emphatically to bring our only cheer.

Matlock 4 (Knowles 4', Cropper 9' 55(pen)', Marson 16'(pen)) - 0 Cambridge City: The loyal 91 who turned up witnessed us demolish BSS side Cambridge in a fine performance. Cropper was superb and snared himself two goals - whilst Knowles pushed for a starting place on the opening day after impressing up front.

With the friendlies out the way I decided on my first XI:

GK: Adam Sollitt

DR: Scott Brough

DCR: Mark Haran

DCL: Adam Yates

DL: Lee Featherstone

MR: Darren Cartwright

MCR: Luke Marson

MCL: Ben Algar

ML: Joshua Wain

ST: Dene Cropper

ST: James Knowles

Key Players:

Final bit of information, Ive picked out three key men who I think will be vital for us this season..

Mark Haran: Our player/assistant manager, Haran at 34 has the experience and leadership qualities which could be vital for us at the back. A good pre-season under his belt, he will be massive for us.

Luke Marson: Only 19 years old, Luke has a big role to play in the middle of the park. A decent technique, and a good team player, he could be around for a while If he can develop.

Dene Cropper: The big target man upfront, Ive decided to try a bit of a long ball game early on and see If he can spearhead us up the table. Excellent in the air, and a clinical finisher, we really will be rely on his goal hauls. Shame he turns like a double decker.

Up the Town!

Steboyuk, thanks a lot! I've stuck mainly with league teams in previous years and dabbled in the transfer market. This time is definitely an exercise in patience (especially w/ all the backroom meetings being about people I should look to transfer in).

Keehan was in the team at the start, but Halford is a newgen. Looking forward to their growth!

Evesham United [bSN] - 2011/2012

Media Prediction - 24th (relegated)

Actual Position - 20th (still in BSP by virtue of a 6 point GD)

League Table

League Positions

Team Ratings

What a difference the BSP makes! The next couple of years are going to be really interesting until we can get our youth trained up. The team as a whole struggled and it was a tight run to the finish.

Season

We weren't expecting much and that's exactly what we got. Powell started the season with a confidence hangover from our previous campaign and never recovered. He went the first 15 games without a goal, scored 2 over the next 10, and ended up with 11 in total (oddly enough, or maybe not, every opposing manager still touted him as the "threat"). Burt and Carrick were able to step up and keep us going, but without a confident striker we had to scrap for offense.

Our wide players and defenders were a problem during the BSN and continued showing how bad they could be. Crosses were the norm as opposing wingers feasted on our horrible wide marking. There was some good news when Gill went down during some friendlies and we found a gem in Michael McGowan who by all reports could be as good as Zac Costello. He was handed starts for most the season and showed great composure in front of goal.

Brad Keehan was also handed more opportunities and did well enough in his chances that he may be given the start in front of Ollie Rowland next season. Unfortunately, Danny Kempster didn't shine nearly as well (his finishing score definitely hurt quite a bit) and found few opportunities to play. With all the new youth pushing for senior spots, Kempster may be on his way out.

Unlike last season, the team never got into a winning run and was able to barely stay up. We were lucky to have the 2 of our final 5 games against fellow relegation candidates and won through a stout defense that kept our goal differential low.

FA Cup

We made it into the Second Round of the FA Cup. I had hoped for a soft draw to blood some youth and gain some confidence but that was not to be through all the rounds. We ended up meeting League 1 Southampton and pummeled. Finances were given a $200k boost from ticket sales courtesy of that game.

FA Trophy

We made the Second Round of the FA Trophy. As with the FA Cup, I had hoped for a soft draw and got it during the first round which allowed the youth to play and our seniors to rest. Unfortunately we met Rushden in the Second Round during their own 5 game winning streak and suffered for it.

Players of Note

Michael McGowan - I'm ashamed I didn't notice him last year. Great mental stats and workrate which made up for his youth and lack of experience. High expectations for him moving forward.

Brad Keehan - Kept up with the conference with solid play. Will get more starts as I move Ollie Rowland to a coaching role.

Ben Hazel - Still slower then I'd like, but somehow gets the job done.

Upcoming Players

Michael Cheetham - I like his stats and all the coaches are high on him. If he and Keehan pan out, I may go with a 2 DM formation to control the midfield.

Lee Halford - Didn't really grow in his defending stats but the coaches still want him in a WB/FB role. I'll keep the faith and give him some games next year.

Next Season

Graeme Carrick and Luke Cummings are making noise about moving to a bigger team. I had hoped for 1-2 more years to get some more youth, but unfortunately it doesn't look like that will happen. I also gave Edward Tarsus a new contract despite his horrific play (he thanked me for it too :p) when I noticed that he was interested in being an Assistant Manager in the future.

Oddly enough, despite staying in the league, we've got worse odds this year (1000-1) :rolleyes: . The plan is to cut some older players to make room for youth, try to stay up, get Powell confident again, and figure out what to do with wide play (maybe in that order :cool: )

Side Note - Any ideas on how much impact basic training/youth facilities are on player growth? I keep getting denied by the board for upgrades (quite believable since we only have about 250k in the bank), but I fear my youth will not improve fast enough to keep us in the BSP.

Are we okay to start lower down the pyramid?

Yeah go for it, more the merrier.

Do you have to holiday or can we let the pc randomise until it selects a BSS/BSN team?

You have to holiday - the team has to have just come in to the BSS/BSN and has to be unplayable at the start of the game.

colifire great work mate, looks like a real struggle but delighted you have managed to stay up - lets hope your players can continue to improve and you can improve on the league position..

I agree with you, I think McGowan looks really useful, again Cheetham and Halford look to have potential. :thup:

Also, great cup run, vital for them finances to try and improve the facilities if you can - also have you got a feeder club? Might be worth trying to get the young lads some first team experience if you cant find a place for them in your squad.

Nightmare for me - my Matlock save game file has been overwrited! Left FM and my daft mate got on and then saved right over it! Dissapointed as I was into it and had a positive start to my campaign..

Only auto save I have Is right at the start and I get very frustrated doing the same over.. Gonna find a new team and hopefully get to a similar point to where I was.. :(

I've decided to have another go at this - didn't get that far last time, but it's always a fun challenge, and I've already completed a season.

I've taken over at FC Halifax Town, due to their high amount of ex Bradford City players and good fanbase. I took over on June 26th because the game decided to holiday for too long.

Manager Profile

Squad - My initial squad, though there's a bunch of players in the reserve who I kept as well.

The season was a huge success. Playing a short passing 4-2-3-1 system, I got off to a good start and was up in and around the playoff places for most of the season. After a January wobble of 3 successive defeats, I then went on a fantastic run of 13 wins from 16 to the end of the season. With 3 games to go I was a point behind Stafford and Worcester, but still had to play both of them. Against Stafford I was 1-0 down at half time, but after an inspiring half time team talk I equalised, only to go 2-1 down again. On 87 minutes my top scorer Danny Holland scrambled in an equaliser from a corner, but it still wasn't going to be enough - I really needed the win. Deep into stoppage time however, we won a penalty, and Holland stepped up to make it 3-2 to us.

Stafford game

We then battered Hyde 4-1 before facing Worcester at home on the last day of the season. Worcester surprisingly lost at home to Harrogate the game before, meaning that we only needed a draw to go up. We went on to produce arguably our best performance of the season, winning 2-0 and dominating.

Worcester game - note the huge crowd

Champions!

There were some absolute stars over the course of the season, none more so than right winger Luke Cummings, who scored 9 and set up 20, and is surely odds-on for fans player of the season. There are some other fine young players here as well, and there is every chance that this side could progress a bit further.

Luke Cummings

Jordan Collins

Danny Holland

I've also been able to add a couple of staff members from my playing side. Michael Boulding played for half of the season, but had decided to retire at the end of it, so when he picked up a season ending injury in February I offered him a coaching role. Meanwhile, captain Mark Bower took over as Player/Assistant Manager. It's noticeably easier to persuade players to coach in this version, and that will definitely help with this challenge. I still don't have a club-grown physio though, or a Goalkeeping Coach.

Mark Bower

Michael Boulding

Financially we're doing very well, I arranged some lucrative pre-season friendlies and we have an excellent fanbase from the previous incarnation of the club. Hopefully I can get some more cash in and upgrade the facilities soon, as there aren't many promising youngsters coming through.

Finances

Transfer Proof

I'm looking forward to next season, hopefully I can get some good youngsters through, specifically a centre back, a striker and an AMC.

Summary:

FC Halifax Town, 2011/12, Blue Square North - Champions, FA Trophy - Round 1, FA Cup - 1st Qualifying Round

Top scorer - Danny Holland (12)

Most assists - Luke Cummings (20)

Highest ave rating - Luke Cummings (7.22)

Struggled to get into FM11 so far but I'm hoping this challenge is the sort of thing that can get me into it.

I've opted for Canvey Island and here is my profile.

And before I get started I had to share this pic of one of the 16 year olds from the youth side because his stats look crazy for this level already - Alex Holloway. I also notice he's unambitious so hopefully he'll be happy to stick about for a while.

Good luck to everyone else that's started the challenge so far, I'll update as and when I can. :thup:

FC Halifax - season two

We stayed up, and that's the most important thing. We were in a relegation battle for most of the season, but ended up in 19th. With a couple of games to go we were struggling in 21st, but we faced up against Blyth in the second to last game of the season and battered them 7-2, while Kettering and Salisbury both lost. We lost the last game, but neither Kettering or Salisbury won that either, so we stayed up.

League Table

Battering Blyth

My two stars this season were left winger Claudiu Hoban and my player of the season and top scorer Luke Cummings, who topped both the scoring and assist charts from the right wing. Centre back Matt Plummer also played well throughout the season.

Luke Cummings

Claudiu Hoban

Matt Plummer

I have a couple of young players coming through as well, including one, Ashley Munday, who has the potential to be my best player, and scored four in the vital Blyth win. Young keeper Jake Eaton is showing promise as well.

Ashley Munday

Jake Eaton

Financially I did ok, but frustratingly lost money consistently over the season after a lucrative pre-season. This meant that I lost the proposed youth facilities upgrade that the board had agreed to due to lack of funding :(

Finances

Transfer Proof

In summary:

FC Halifax, season 2

Blue Square Premier - 19th

FA Trophy - Round 1

FA Cup - Round 1

Top scorer - Luke Cummings (15)

Most assists - Luke Cummings (18)

Highest average rating - Luke Cummings (7.13)

Can anyone please clarify a question I have in regards to this challenge. I know you cannot sign players outside of the club you are managing in this challenge, but can you sign staff (ie: youth coaches, physio, ass-man, etc.) from either other clubs or ones that are unemployed?

Edit: I should have read through the thread before posing the question. Obscure Ass-man and physio it is, but having a go at this challenge on FM '09.

Archived