FM 10...the Jack Rodwell thread...finally!

dz47

I couldn't believe that there wasn't already a thread for Jack Rodwell, even though he is a fairly well known player. So even though i've never done one before, I decided it was time to make my first player thread! This won't be as good as other threads, but at least it will give an opportunity to discuss the player, and more importantly, show just how great a player he can become!

rodwell.jpg

Jack Christian Rodwell (born 11 March 1991 in Southport, England) is an English footballer currently playing for Everton. A midfielder, Rodwell has represented his country at Under-16, Under-17, Under-19 and Under 21 levels.

An Everton supporter as a child, Rodwell joined the club's youth system at the age of seven, making his Under-18s debut at 14 and his debut for Everton's reserve team at the age of 15. Rodwell then broke a record on his senior debut becoming the youngest player to represent Everton in Europe when he came on as a substitute against Dutch team AZ at the age of 16 years and 284 days.

In March 2008, he appeared as a substitute on his Premier League debut – before also featuring as a replacement in the final game of the season, replacing Tim Cahill in a 1–0 victory over Sunderland, and signed his first professional contract with Everton on 17 March 2008. He made his first professional start against Blackburn Rovers on 16 August 2008, playing the full 90 minutes. Rodwell scored his first senior goal for Everton in the FA Cup against Aston Villa in February 2009. That same month, he signed a 5-year contract with Everton, which expires in 2014.

At the beginning of the 2009–10 season, Rodwell earned his first start in European competition in a Europa League game against Czech football club SK Sigma Olomouc. Rodwell marked the occasion by scoring two long-range goals, helping Everton to a 4–0 win. He scored his first Premier League goal in Everton's 3–1 win against Manchester United. At the end of the season Rodwell signed a five-year contract extension with Everton.

Although Rodwell is primarily deployed as a defensive midfielder, he was regarded as having the potential to become a top centre back early in his professional career. During the second half of the 2009–10 season, Rodwell became regularly employed in more attacking midfield positions.

FM 10.3

The above screeenshot is from the start of 10.3. Rodwell starts as a natural MC, but can easily play and be retrained to eiither DM or DC (and i believe may even be able to become natural in these positions). He can be purchased for around 13 million pounds at the start of the game, but i would imagine his price rises from there. As you can see he has very well rounded technical stats and physical stats, and solid mental stats that can be greatly improved with training, playing and tutoring.

I haven't played with him much myself, but it would be great to see how he can develop through the game. So now it's over to you guys :thup:

Plays as part of a middle 3 for me at Old Trafford after signing for in a part exchange deal which involved Nani, is now a main part of England's squad and has over 100 league appearances for me, i play him as a deep-lying playmaker

Can't believe there wasn't a Rodwell thread???

Anyway had him on a number of saves and if I end up as England manager he normally ends up as skipper.

Usually use him as a ball winner. Quality, however there are better available, just not English ones.

I must admit I'm hugely surprised there hasn't been a thread for Rodwell before. He is absolutely awesome and a player I buy on every single Premier League save I have. He develops into a really solid midfielder who can do whatever you ask of him really with some degree of competance. Only reason I like him so much is because he is English and actually a very very talented youngster! :)

rodwell.th.jpg

Everton offered me him at the start of my 3rd season for next to nothing at 5.5m, he played well but he was up against the likes of Sandro and i was about to sign Annan so he was no longer needed, offered him out to clubs and Juventus came and snapped him up, not a bad bit of proffit for just over a seasons wages.

Hes done well with Juventus helping them come 2nd in his first season and then 1st in his second with them.

rodwell.th.jpg

Everton offered me him at the start of my 3rd season for next to nothing at 5.5m, he played well but he was up against the likes of Sandro and i was about to sign Annan so he was no longer needed, offered him out to clubs and Juventus came and snapped him up, not a bad bit of proffit for just over a seasons wages.

Hes done well with Juventus helping them come 2nd in his first season and then 1st in his second with them.

You chose Annan over Rodwell, you are either daft or very very clever. :p

rodwell doesnt have a thread? maybe he is already wellknown around here

Unless I am mistaken, player threads are not always to show off 'newly found' players or players that are not known, but more of a discussion about them. How do you play them, how much have you signed him for and stuff like that.

You chose Annan over Rodwell, you are either daft or very very clever. :p

In my current save, i was playing Rodwell as a DM in a 4-1-2-3 formation with the two midfielders in front of him as a more skillfull creative force rather than hard as nails tacklers who would win balls.

With that regard Annan slightly edged out Rodwell for me with better defensive, physical and mental stats.

roddersvsannan.jpg

Plus the cheeky git wanted 60k a month more than any other player in my team to sign a new contract.

In my current save, i was playing Rodwell as a DM in a 4-1-2-3 formation with the two midfielders in front of him as a more skillfull creative force rather than hard as nails tacklers who would win balls.

With that regard Annan slightly edged out Rodwell for me with better defensive, physical and mental stats.

roddersvsannan.jpg

Plus the cheeky git wanted 60k a month more than any other player in my team to sign a new contract.

But did you factor in Annans card collecting hobby. Or his other lesser known hobby of breaking his own teammates in training :D

I can't bring myself to buy Rodwell.

I for some reason hate him on FM. I've always thought he looked good but nothing amazing.

He's only so popular because of being English. As I said in my post, I make him England captain, but that says more about the future of English football than his quality. He doesn't quite fit into any of the roles spectacularly, therefore he can become a bit of a jack of all trades type. Thus many players for each role are better than him.

First season with Chelsea: Rodwell or Sandro?

And how's Rodwell at CB? If he's good then I can buy both Rodwell and Sandro.

Sandro...

Rodwell is far too expensive at the start and Sandro is a better investment imo, with no bias.

Even if you are patriotic like the others and want an Englishman so badly, I just don't think it's a great idea spending so much on Jack so soon....

First season with Chelsea: Rodwell or Sandro?

And how's Rodwell at CB? If he's good then I can buy both Rodwell and Sandro.

Sandro by quite some margin for me....

Signed him for £6m (unsettled him)

246 appearances (League, Cups, and Europe) 10 goals, 51 assists, averaged rating of 7.5 (All from playing as an anchor man)

Rodwell signed for 5.5m.

66 appearances (League, Cups, and Europe) 10 goals, 13 assists, 7.29 rating. (from playing as an anchorman, defence and midfield once or twice)

Never had any trouble from Sandro with regards to personal problems, long term injuries, moaning about me or asking for crazy wages.

But did you factor in Annans card collecting hobby. Or his other lesser known hobby of breaking his own teammates in training :D

True he does collect cards like they are going out of fashion but thats why i have Sandro who rotates with him as basicly any player i pick for my DM role ends up suspended eventualy either via a straight red or a succession of Yellows.

He looks great on some of those shots a few seasons in. I can see why people would go for Sandro over Rodwell at the start (cheaper, bit older and more developed), but i reckon that Rodwell would develop into a more complete MC in the long term, and if money isn't too much of an issue, then i would consider him a smart investment in the long term (given how much he will cost down the track). I'm interested in what some have aid about his personality though. Does he tend to act unprofessionally or demand overly excessive wages?

due to fellani's card collecting hobby as a ball winning midfielder, I put rodwell in, he works fantastic for me and in the pre-match reports and assistant manager reports, they always highlight him as the danger man, one who can dominate the picth and what not. I'll try and find a screenshot of him in 2020

Thius screenshot is of an AI developed Rodwell. I signed him in the 2019-2020 season. The game was set up so only germany was a playable leage (an attempt at Gundo's small club to big time big euro nation from CSE forum). If i'd have had him from the start he'd be different, but instead ive only had him for a season and a half. His stats could have been higher if i'd had him but nevermind. As this shows, he's well rounded still, and he's also englands vice captain:

rodwelltrier2020.jpg

He looks great on some of those shots a few seasons in. I can see why people would go for Sandro over Rodwell at the start (cheaper, bit older and more developed), but i reckon that Rodwell would develop into a more complete MC in the long term, and if money isn't too much of an issue, then i would consider him a smart investment in the long term (given how much he will cost down the track). I'm interested in what some have aid about his personality though. Does he tend to act unprofessionally or demand overly excessive wages?

For me anyway he wanted a lot more in wages than what his "competition" was wanting.

I had him on about 80,000 a month initialy and when i was mulling over wether to keep him or not with just over a year left on his contract he wanted bumped up to above 150,000 a month... at the time 50,000 more than any other player in the team.

I can see the alure of him to a lot of English people here, hes definately one of the best young midfielders but i think it would be important to remember that within a few years chances are there will be regens who are made that are better than him... for instance my midfield English Regen who helped England win the 2014 world cup against Italy (my other Englishman Jack Wilshere scoring the only goal of that game)...

lancaster.th.jpg

Here are the other two jack rodwells from saves I have. Both have been developed by me.

Everton: 2011-12 season.

rodwell2011-12everton.jpg

I think I tutored him from osman or fellani for the first season but pretty much had him playing all season and the one just gone. He's always been a key performer for me and has improved since the switch from deep lying playmaker to ball winning midfielder. I might try and get defour to tutor him just for the final touches but in this save I plan to keep him in the middle of the park to destroy anything which comes his way

Man United: 2011-12 season

rodwellmanu2011-12.jpg

Cost me £15M in season 1. he was part of my "All English Manchester United" (Sell everyone who doesn't have english as first nationality and rebuild from there to see if my club xi becomes the england xi). In this save I had access to far superior tutors than to those at everton and the better training facilities may have helped the development. In this save I play to move him further up the picth. For half the first season i had him on defensive midfielder style trainings, then I've moved him to central, then attacking midfielder - trying to raise his composure and finishing. Now he is on a centre forward styled training schedule to try and get him into a regular goal scorer or at least someone who can pose a threat when needed. Once he has his stats up enough I may train him to attacking midfield to become the man who pulls the strings there.

It is to be noted, I use SFraser's training schedules in all screen shots.

I just spent 35.5M to get him for my Milan team in 2014. Please tell me that he's worth it and can replace Pirlo in the long run

Replace Pirlo? No. Worth 35.5m? Probably not. Depends what currency you're talking? Even then its still a lot of money.

Its £35.5M and ive decided that Veloso can replace Pirlo and Rodwell can play in midfield. Ive won the league 3 years in a row and im getting silly money thrown at me each season to improve a squad that cant be improved basically! He has 25 England caps and is still 22 and Everton weren't playing fair so in the end i got bored and decided to pay what ever they wanted. His stats seem really good plus hes English so thinking of using him as a box-box midfielder. Good stamina work rate tackling passing etc

Its £35.5M and ive decided that Veloso can replace Pirlo and Rodwell can play in midfield. Ive won the league 3 years in a row and im getting silly money thrown at me each season to improve a squad that cant be improved basically! He has 25 England caps and is still 22 and Everton weren't playing fair so in the end i got bored and decided to pay what ever they wanted. His stats seem really good plus hes English so thinking of using him as a box-box midfielder. Good stamina work rate tackling passing etc

Veloso is a much better bet for the Pirlo job, good work. B2B is perfect for Rodwell IMO.

• 2 months later...
Was thinking the same, people like essien, gerrard, lampard would be better than messi.

Alan Smith. Not only has determination of 20 and seems easy to get along with, the PPMs he may pass on could be beneficial, too. Dives into tackles (Rodwell is certainly good enough to pull this one off rather well), and stays back at all times (would encourage Jack to make the most of his defensive ability).

In my most recent save I bought Rodwell after the board boosted my finances halfway through the first season. In January 2010 I paid 20m GBP over 4 years (a bit steep but I believe he has already justified a good 75% of the deal), and now in January 2011 he is already immense. He is my first choice DM in my 4-5-1 formation, where he is now a natural player, but I am more than happy to use him as a supporting ball-winning midfielder in the centre of the park should I need to, alongside an attacking minded central midfielder such as Kevin Nolan or Seydou Keita.

He has made the odd slip up (a few yellows, gave away one penalty), but I am ecstatic with the way he is developing, and at the tender age of 19 he is already the first name on my team sheet. A must buy if you can afford his transfer fee, in my opinion.

Alan Smith. Not only has determination of 20 and seems easy to get along with, the PPMs he may pass on could be beneficial, too. Dives into tackles (Rodwell is certainly good enough to pull this one off rather well), and stays back at all times (would encourage Jack to make the most of his defensive ability).

Wpoldn' use Smith to tutor him as Smith has

lower hidden mental attributes

and in the long run that could harm Rodwell.

Rodwell on my save in 2013: http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3064/rodwell.jpg

He usually plays as a ball winning midfielder but with Arteta out for 4-5 months and me having no cover, he's playing the Advanced Playmaker (support) role and doing it superbly. Quite surprised at how his stats developed tbh. Only had Arteta tutoring him for a little while and Neville for a little while. Recently trained him to 'get forward whenever possible'. Retrained him to AM to cover for Cahill/Baxter. Looking at his stats, he'd make a great CB too.

Rodwell on my save in 2013: http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3064/rodwell.jpg

He usually plays as a ball winning midfielder but with Arteta out for 4-5 months and me having no cover, he's playing the Advanced Playmaker (support) role and doing it superbly. Quite surprised at how his stats developed tbh. Only had Arteta tutoring him for a little while and Neville for a little while. Recently trained him to 'get forward whenever possible'. Retrained him to AM to cover for Cahill/Baxter. Looking at his stats, he'd make a great CB too.

He sucks!

:D :D

How you doin' mate? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I only tried to get messi to tutor him just to see if it'd maybe improve his playmaking skills and the fact i have both in my team. I keep him predominatly as a ball winning midfielder on defensive duty (CM). He's made it into the legend status now at everton for me and he makes a decent captain as he gets older

Archived