Back to 2007

I bought FM2009 on release, played a fair few seasons and have really enjoyed it, but i just haven't got the time to it anymore, it takes a lot of time and effort to have a good go at this game.

Don't get me wrong, i love it and think it's taken massive steps, however, the sheer complexity of it has become too much for the casual gamer like me, FM2007 was a lot quicker and simpler while still being a decent challenge (depending on who you manage of course). So i've decided to re-install 2007 and have quickly realised that it's much more feasable for me, as i just can't put the time into FM2009 that's needed.

So anyway's, long story short, i'd like to know if there is a forum that still exists for previous versions of the game, as i know theres still plenty of people that play 2007.

Whether it's on this site or any others, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers :thup:

Yeah similar thoughts...is there a forum around exclusively for FM 2008? 09 is way too slow for my PC :(

Speak about 08 here, it is a FM forum, it doesn't say anywhere that it is an FM09 forum

To O.P., I may have done the same if my parents hadn't bought me a new laptop, but as the game evolves, so does the amount of technology needed.

For me it's got nothing to do with my laptops capabilties, as FM2009 runs flawlessly on it, including the 3d pitch, it's only a three month old laptop anyways.

It's more to with the amount of time i can invest into it, as other aspects of my life take priority. FM2007 is just much quicker and simpler to play, meaning i can go on it for half an hour and feel i've really got somewhere, that's all.

It is understandable as time progress on and you are using the same computer year in and year out that eventually FM will start to run slow on your machine. Mine was the same and 09 was first FM game to run slow on it, and 08 went at moderate speed but 07 was well quick with hardly any delays.

So i got an updated database, 08-09 for FM07 and started using that. I agree that 09 is a very good game but not suited for my machine. So maybe i will play 07 until i get a newer machine.

For me it's got nothing to do with my laptops capabilties, as FM2009 runs flawlessly on it, including the 3d pitch, it's only a three month old laptop anyways.

It's more to with the amount of time i can invest into it, as other aspects of my life take priority. FM2007 is just much quicker and simpler to play, meaning i can go on it for half an hour and feel i've really got somewhere, that's all.

I misinterpretated the post.

I think I am lucky as I have found a tactic that works well with my team, I also leave a lot of things to my assistant so that my seasons do not take forever. It is a matter of preference, some prefer a faster game, some like micromanagement. The lucky thing is: FM07 is still fantastic.

Thanks a lot d d, much appreciated, i'm already half a season into my career but it will be good when i start a new one, unless my current one keeps me occupied for ages, which could happen :D

peter-evo, yeah i had forgotten how great FM07 was, truly a game that stands the test of time, i'm managing Sunderland atm and i'm destryoing the championship with a 4-4-2 diamond at home and 4-1-4-1 away. Didn't even sign anyone.

:thup:

Hi guys, for similar reasons too i've decided to go back.The last version of the game I really enjoyed was 06, I skipped 07 and have found the last 2 a bit demanding, especially tactically.How do you rate 07, is there still alot of micro-management and tweaking involved, i'll admit i'm not a fan of in-match tweaking.

• 4 weeks later...

i went back to fm07, a few months ago and have loved it. although im tempted to give 09 another chance as despite its flaws, there are features that i miss. i.e. how did we ever survive without 'expect you to pick up from where you left off' in the team talks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also back to 2007. After playing fm2009 a couple of seasons I got bored with the amount of details and useless features that makes the game run so slowly. Maybe with this third patch I'll give another chance to 2009, but I am already felling that FM2007 is the game for me. And the skin was fantastic!

I got 08 and 09 and 05, plus 01/02, 03/04, 4, CM5 etc.

But I did not get 07.

Until about 5 months ago when I just bought it at random and at 10p :D

I havn't installed it but will do tonight and I will tell you what I think.

What I miss most from the earlier games is the diractional long driving runs on the tactics.

i havent got around to upgrading to fm09 and aam still playing fm07 (i skipped 08)

i have loved this incarnation of th franchise - i will be upgrading at some point, not sur ehow well it will run on my laptop though.

i cant praise fm07 enough and hope that fm09 doesnt take a step back for my enjoyment - after reading the many negative things that have been posted on these forums!!:p

I bought FM2009 on release, played a fair few seasons and have really enjoyed it, but i just haven't got the time to it anymore, it takes a lot of time and effort to have a good go at this game.

Don't get me wrong, i love it and think it's taken massive steps, however, the sheer complexity of it has become too much for the casual gamer like me, FM2007 was a lot quicker and simpler while still being a decent challenge (depending on who you manage of course). So i've decided to re-install 2007 and have quickly realised that it's much more feasable for me, as i just can't put the time into FM2009 that's needed.

So anyway's, long story short, i'd like to know if there is a forum that still exists for previous versions of the game, as i know theres still plenty of people that play 2007.

Whether it's on this site or any others, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers :thup:

I could not agree more. I absolutely feel the same things. It was, always a pleasure to play football manager for me. The first version I played was 01/02, and from that, I've played all the versions till 09. I really think 07 was special in some ways.

09 is fantastic maybe, I mean I really want complexity and highly realistic details in the game but it's just that there's not enough time for that. I mean ok, it's the greatest job on earth but come on, it's not really a job is it? What I'm saying is, i think you have to make all the things 'right' in order to get some success in 09, unless you're playing with Barca or something. FYI, i start my games unemployed with selecting all the leagues of England only. My first job in 09 was Braintree Town and i had some remarkable success there, anyways. I'm going back to 07 too. Thank you for the inspiration ComeontheArsenal, you really brought back some good memories :)

I would also like to say that I find some database changes just ridiculous. For instance, in FM 2009 9.1.1, my all time favourite manager, Arsene Wenger's tactical knowledge was 19. And guess what, suddenly, just 3 months later, in 9.3.0 he has a tactical knowlege of 13. It seems that he has lost his ability as a tactician in a remarkable way. Good job, Arsene, but please try your best to get better results or SI will punish you harder in the future.

Archived