FM08 Appreciation Society & Questions Thread

FM09 has come along and for most people FM08 has been relegated to the shelf or bin. The forums are full of questions about 09 and any thread with questions about 08 or wanting to discuss 08 will be shoved down the page by 09 threads.

I thought i'd create this thread for those of us still playing and enjoying 08. I'm sure people will still have questions about it and want to discuss their save games, so hopefully this will take off.

*Lets try and keep the thread on topic and save 09 talk for the relevant threads available in the forum :)

I'm no longer playing '08 as I'm now thoroughly enjoying '09.

But, I would like to say how much I enjoyed FM08. I thought that it was fantastic and I had my best ever long term game in '08, taking Gateshead from unplayable to being the best team in the world. It took me until around 2027 to do it but I loved it and continued that save until 2032, the longest I've played a save on any FM game.

A ridiculous statement, I know, but if I could start FM08 in July '08 with all the correct promotions and relegations and up-to-date player database, I think I would.

I think FM09 is great, but FM08 had the added bonus of affording you the occasional victory.

A ridiculous statement, I know, but if I could start FM08 in July '08 with all the correct promotions and relegations and up-to-date player database, I think I would.

I think FM09 is great, but FM08 had the added bonus of affording you the occasional victory.

Correct me if i'm wrong but there was an updated data base released by a third party, i've got it myself i think. Obviously it doesn't start in 08 but all the transfers/promotions etc are correct. I didn't like it myself as it didn't seem like any player attributes had been adjusted.

On the topic though whilst i am currently playing 09 i'm sure i will dip back into 08 to continue my run with Hull.

Had just started a new game in 08 yesterday morning with Colchester, enjoying it. Later the day, went to Debenhams with other half, Guess what, FM09 is on 10% off.

To buy or not to buy, thats the question.

Not for this thread it isn't. :p

In my own personal opinion i thought FM08 was great, one of the best FM's (patched with 8.0.1). I'm still playing it and will continue to do so until the flaws in FM09 are ironed out via the release of another patch. Until then though, i will continue to take Happy Valley to the heights of domestic success!

Still loving this game. Started a game last week as AS Roma and really going quite well. Finally beginning to suss the tactics, and am currently on a 7 game winning streak, that's probably nothing to some people, but that's pretty good by my standards.

Also as I am unlikely to buy FM09 for a while I am considering doing a data update for FM08, would anyone else be interested in it?

You managed to win the Champions League with Bayern yet Nomis?

Yes I did :cool: It took me 15 years though, but it was worth every minute. The following season I went out in the group stage :rolleyes:

feedthegoat, I would. I'd like to play 08 with the update, but can never get Weegie to work.

OK I'll give it some thought, luckily I have a fair amount of time on my hands atm so I can devote myself to it.

If there are more people interested then it will definitely be worth doing, obviously there will be a lot of things in the game that can't be changed such as point deductions and that, but teams that have point deductions in the current game can be rectified and is something I'd do, a lot of things in the game are hard coded and so can't be changed (German Third Division being implemented for example).

To be honest it would probably only work the same as the Weegie update, so if you can't get the Weegie update to work, then you are unlikely to get my update to work, but nonetheless if I decide to do it, I will make it available to everyone.

I'm still steeped in my FM08 campaign and loving it. I'm maliciously enjoying all the early-door FM09 traumas, hoping that by the time my copy of FM09 arrives in a week the issues will have resolved themselves. I'll doubtless immediately fire up FM09 and restart my campaign in 3D, but if I do fail to activate or I'm all bugged up, I'll have my FM08 game to fall back on until the second patch is done.

I'm still steeped in my FM08 campaign and loving it. I'm maliciously enjoying all the early-door FM09 traumas, hoping that by the time my copy of FM09 arrives in a week the issues will have resolved themselves. I'll doubtless immediately fire up FM09 and restart my campaign in 3D, but if I do fail to activate or I'm all bugged up, I'll have my FM08 game to fall back on until the second patch is done.

Ya, I'm in no hurry to get FM09 yet either. I'm dithering (and too lazy) over getting a new laptop and I won't buy FM09 until then anyway. I have CM01/02, CM03/04, FM05, FM06, FM07 and FM08 (and probably still CM3 and CM00/01 if I really dig around) so I'm sure they can keep me entertained (as well as various other non-football games) comfortably until I get FM09 and can hopefully sail through the hideous sounding phone-activation process without problems!

Ya, I'm in no hurry to get FM09 yet either. I'm dithering (and too lazy) over getting a new laptop and I won't buy FM09 until then anyway. I have CM01/02, CM03/04, FM05, FM06, FM07 and FM08 (and probably still CM3 and CM00/01 if I really dig around) so I'm sure they can keep me entertained (as well as various other non-football games) comfortably until I get FM09 and can hopefully sail through the hideous sounding phone-activation process without problems!

My thoughts exactly.

I started my 08 game as Man City, was there for 3 seasons and won the Uefa Cup, went to Tottenham for a year, then moved to Roma. In my third season as Roma. As this is the longest I've played the same save for since my 11 seasons on 99/00 or something I'm reluctant to give up.

However, I'm struggling to win Serie A with Roma after 3 attempts and Rich finances. I'm starting to feel like Kevin 'close but no cigar' Keegan. Maybe I'll take his lead and quit unsuccessful..... :p

yep its Inter and Juve that are screwing me up. And the fact that im leaking goals. Im scoring enough, just not stopping them well. R.Madrid arent helping my CL campaign either. After 1.5 seasons in CL I've met them 6 times already and won once. (5-1)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Changing direction slightly (Looking for a thread to put my question in, this seemed best) I never got into FM08 probably because I loved FM07 so much but I've now hammered FM07 so much there is no challenge for me anymore and unfortunately when ever I play FM09 it sounds like my laptop is about to take off.

So I'm considering playing a long FM08 career, loaded it up, patched it, sorted out the graphics and read some tactic guides so ready to go BUT

I've read a lot about the game and I have only one problem that is making me apprehensive, the suggestion that on 8.02 ALL players are knackered at 32.

I can get on with the regen problems as I read a brilliant thread that proved the only real problems with regens on 8.02 are set piece and physical stats and that CA and PA remain more or less at the same level.

So that for me is not a game breaker but all my favourite players dropping from leading prem to decent league one once they reach 32 would make me throw out my laptop in frustration.

I don't want to spend hours and hours playing a game that will in the end leave me ticked off.

I thought about holidaying a game to see it with my own eyes but figured this would be quicker - can people tell me their experience?

I don't mind lots of players being knackered by 30 - In real life Owen, Alan Smith, Duff and lots of other players who don't play for Newcastle have all had their ability plummet earlier than expected but if it is impossible to have a Giggs, David James, even a David Beckham level of football till there mid 30's then I think I will find something else to do with my time tell a get a new laptop.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

As someone who still plays 08, i would say that the problem you are worrying about probably isn't as bad as you think it might be. Older players do seem to lose their physical stats a bit too quickly, but considering physical stats are a weakness for many newgens i think the game balances itself out.

I've still got a 33 year-old van der Vaart going strong for my Ajax team and although he's slower and can't last too many full games, he still gets many goals and assists and is one of my best performers. I think overall its not too bad, could be better but still more than playable.

Archived