Going down the shops and buying the game

When did this become a hassle?

I appreciate that lots of people now rely on the internet for everything, but there really has never been a problem with just getting the boxed version, opening the manual for the first read, installing the game and away you go!

The authentication is a bit annoying, but if the phonecall works, I will be playnig from 9:30 tomorrow morning - no download issues, no third parties...

Am I just out of touch?

I appreciate that lots of people now rely on the internet for everything, but there really has never been a problem with just getting the boxed version, opening the manual for the first read, installing the game and away you go!

The authentication is a bit annoying, but if the phonecall works, I will be playnig from 9:30 tomorrow morning - no download issues, no third parties...

Am I just out of touch?

You and me both mate.

Guess we just have to move with the times, simply bunging a disc in and away you go doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

agreed, i think i trust the boxed game a little more than the download and i like to have something with a proper manual and apparently steam has serious customer support issues.

i also find that its exciting going into the shop and unwrapping it although this may seem a bit sad.

Excellent, that's three old farts who are guaranteed to be able to play!

I wonder how many others there out there?

Are you phoning through the authentication?

Yes, I will have to authenticate via phone, although I won't be buying the game tomorrow, mainly because I'm broke and I want to see how all this authentication business goes, I also want to see how well the patch is recieved as well.

I think the whole process has been a joke.

Authentication? STEAM?

Buy a CD, install it, patch it, go.

Its not even like the game is ready for release.

Think i might miss this FM, and ive been playing since CM03/04

Cant see this going well, at all.

I think the whole process has been a joke.

Authentication? STEAM?

Buy a CD, install it, patch it, go.

Its not even like the game is ready for release.

Think i might miss this FM, and ive been playing since CM03/04

Cant see this going well, at all.

Which is why I'm holding back. I can see people flooding on here tomorrow screaming and shouting about how bad Si are, and why can't I get my game to work.

Think I might avoid these forums tomorrow.

I know what you mean. I can only see the online download, authentication process going wrong!

Fingers crossed, there won't be too many who want to try the phone number tomorrow.......

I have to go into work first thing to put the patch on a memory stick though....annoying!

Stroll to shops on my day off. Pick up a coffee. Nice.

Casually sweep through Tesco, Game or HMV and pick up FM once I find the cheapest option.

Run home aided by said coffee rush.

Excitedly peel away the cellophane wrapper. Digest the manual (very important to have a real manual, not this digital nonsene)

Stare at disk once manual has been digested.

Insert disk (also very important to me to have a real disk)

Now here's the bit I don't like...authenticate on Steam (Boo!) with crossed fingers and toes and hopefully...play!!

I know I'm old but I just have to have the boxed game. The opening of the box and reading of manual are vital for total enjoyment of FM. Plus I want to put my box underneath every other copy of CM/FM in my rack, to keep things neat of course :)

Each to their own... Steam or buy in a shop..options for different people.

This is just a moaning thread for the sake of it tbh

No, it's not a moaning thread at all! It is just a place for those who aren't downloading the game!

If I had the internet at home, I would still probably buy the boxed version, although I completely understand the downloading option - no need to leave the house tomorrow for one)

I can just see some issues for those users who are banking on the servers working for everyone that's all

Excellent, that's three old farts who are guaranteed to be able to play!

I wonder how many others there out there?

Are you phoning through the authentication?

I will authenticate tonight just before midnight.

Stroll to shops on my day off. Pick up a coffee. Nice.

Casually sweep through Tesco, Game or HMV and pick up FM once I find the cheapest option.

Run home aided by said coffee rush.

Excitedly peel away the cellophane wrapper. Digest the manual (very important to have a real manual, not this digital nonsene)

Stare at disk once manual has been digested.

Insert disk (also very important to me to have a real disk)

Now here's the bit I don't like...authenticate on Steam (Boo!) with crossed fingers and toes and hopefully...play!!

I know I'm old but I just have to have the boxed game. The opening of the box and reading of manual are vital for total enjoyment of FM. Plus I want to put my box underneath every other copy of CM/FM in my rack, to keep things neat of course :)

Spot on! Always has been the way, always should be the way........

I always prefer to buy the game from retailers still.

Its that feeling of going into the shop and seeing the game there ready to buy, and then getting home and installing it, the excitement of reading the book while it takes forever to download.

I'll be up early tomorrow to get my copy ready to play as i am off all day....well until 5pm....but thats plenty of time to play :)

Right, i have ordered the game from play and just had a text from the mrs to say it has arrived!! yippee!! i know that the patch is needed so i am not going to play till tomorrow. I wasnt aware that you needed to authenticate the game if you had a disc. Is this true? if so how do you do this? this sounds very silly indeed. Please help.

Think its gonna be one of those days. I'm off work, rostered day didn't need to book it off, and hope it goes thus:

1: Go buy FM 2009 from trusty high street retailer

2: Install

3: Validate

4: Download Patch and install

5: Move Graphics folder over

6: Load up and play

Just hope that patch is ready and that we don't manage to bring the t'internet down with validating and downlaoding patch. or the phonelines or this server so if it goes wrong we can shout at miles lol.

Fingers crossed it all goes well. Just wondering though how many people are gonna be on site here tommorow? I looked last night and it was about 1100. what do you think the highest amount this place can handle? I think even those at work tomorrow with internet access are gonna be on most of day

Great to see that there are still those who love the unwrapping of the sellophane, the opening of the fresh new manual etc

This authentication thingy shouldn't be too bad, but then they go and confuse us oldtimers with this patch!!!

Looks like we're gonna have to embrace some of this stuff to get the game perfect!

I have the Internet at home but will never download a game. I like to have the disc, the box and the manual in my house so I can look at them whenever I want.

I did use the internet to pre-order mine though, and I'll also be using it to authenticate the game on Steam, so I guess I'm somewhere in the middle.

What I can't understand is the amount of moans people are having about authenticating on Steam. Yes, it's a little annoying, but it's not the end of the world for crying out loud. That coupled with the people who can't physically wait for another day to activate the game is just a little bit sad imo.

I have the Internet at home but will never download a game. I like to have the disc, the box and the manual in my house so I can look at them whenever I want.

I did use the internet to pre-order mine though, and I'll also be using it to authenticate the game on Steam, so I guess I'm somewhere in the middle.

What I can't understand is the amount of moans people are having about authenticating on Steam. Yes, it's a little annoying, but it's not the end of the world for crying out loud. That coupled with the people who can't physically wait for another day to activate the game is just a little bit sad imo.

Well, us oldies on this here thread are patient types you see! It's half the problem with the yoof of today, want everything faster and faster, like buying it in a box from one of a million shops is somehow a stupid thing to do!

Can't wait til 9am tomorrow to go into PC World and get my copy.........now, about this patch, when do I get that?

I always prefer to buy the game from retailers still.

Its that feeling of going into the shop and seeing the game there ready to buy, and then getting home and installing it, the excitement of reading the book while it takes forever to download.

I'll be up early tomorrow to get my copy ready to play as i am off all day....well until 5pm....but thats plenty of time to play :)

I prefer going and getting it from the shops , at least then I can get it when I want it , and not relying on the postie to deliver it :)

:thup::thup:

Agree with these 2 posts, it just feels better when you dash around all the shops looking for the best price and then the race home to play it.

Am I just out of touch?

i've seen people comparing this to buying food. "you dont go and buy food and then get told we cant eat it until tomorrow" i say, but food doesn't have an officail release date".

personally i can wait until the officail release date to play agame.

some one else did make a good comment before skorp shut it down (one of many that he seems to be doing) asking how in fact this authentication actually stops piracy since we can install it on our computer and 4 friends and play to our hearts content it kinda opens it up to the people who don't know much about piracy.

oh and i always buy the boxed version.

i like buying things were i can hold it in my hands. music,dvd's games. i can't be downloading them.

I'm personally looking forward to getting up tomorrow morning, going into the centre of Manchester or Stockport depends (both the same distance away from me so) and getting my copy off the game ^^.

Was joking with ym dad last night saying I should go to the Nelson Taven in Stockport this evening sit and drink until i get kicked out at half 11, walk down to the 24 hour tesco buy a copy of the game at midnight come home and then play.

The only reason I would even consider downloading it rather than having the boxed version is if it was considerably cheaper that way.

I, for one, can't understand how they can flog a download for the same price as an actual boxed version with a manual and that all important dvd.

i've seen people comparing this to buying food. "you dont go and buy food and then get told we cant eat it until tomorrow" i say, but food doesn't have an officail release date".

personally i can wait until the officail release date to play agame.

some one else did make a good comment before skorp shut it down (one of many that he seems to be doing) asking how in fact this authentication actually stops piracy since we can install it on our computer and 4 friends and play to our hearts content it kinda opens it up to the people who don't know much about piracy.

oh and i always buy the boxed version.

i like buying things were i can hold it in my hands. music,dvd's games. i can't be downloading them.

A realy good point there about sharing the game with mates.

Mind you, they must have done their research and prefer this method of validation over the previous cd in the tray method.

I asked that question last night. If FM 09 is £30 then 5 mates + £6 each = 1 copy of FM 09, which they can all play individually. Couldn't do that with 08, as we needed the disc everytime. I was wondering if SI only introduced this because soooo many people wanted to be able to play the game without the disc, because I can't really see how it helps prevent piracy.

Well, us oldies on this here thread are patient types you see! It's half the problem with the yoof of today, want everything faster and faster, like buying it in a box from one of a million shops is somehow a stupid thing to do!

Can't wait til 9am tomorrow to go into PC World and get my copy.........now, about this patch, when do I get that?

Register with STEAM and input the code during installation. This method has the benefit of automatically patching and updating the game.

I was also contemplating the Steam download, but Asda seem to be releasing games on their release dates nowadays, and it's walking distance (although i can hardly walk :D). Last year, I soldiered it up to HMV in Stratford, 3 weeks after a knee operation. Hurt like a mother :(

I was also contemplating the Steam download, but Asda seem to be releasing games on their release dates nowadays, and it's walking distance (although i can hardly walk :D). Last year, I soldiered it up to HMV in Stratford, 3 weeks after a knee operation. Hurt like a mother :(

Come on, you'd crawl over broken glass to get it on release day.

I asked that question last night. If FM 09 is £30 then 5 mates + £6 each = 1 copy of FM 09, which they can all play individually. Couldn't do that with 08, as we needed the disc everytime. I was wondering if SI only introduced this because soooo many people wanted to be able to play the game without the disc, because I can't really see how it helps prevent piracy.

i was thinking about it last night and thought that they decided on the authorisation thing because every year a shop sells the game early, people complain that they want the game now and they have to put the release date forward. this way no one plays it until the official release date.

if thats the case then i can understand it to a degree.

but the way i see it it does NOTHING to stop casual piracy and could even be considered to actually encourage it.

Archived