Oppostion Instructions Time Consuming

It seems there is no other way to set opposition instructions but to do it individually.. would be cool if we could select multi players at once.

That's true of "showing onto weaker foot", but the rest of the opp ins can be set in one go with your team instruction e.g. set your tactics as hard tackling/always closing down and it means all players will be on the receiving end of a hard tackle/closed down always, and there is no need to change the opp ins.

I really don't like this feature tbh, I never used it in 08 and as the OP says it is far too time consuming to be bothered with in 09.

and defensive mids to close down everyone

Sorry for the double post, just set your DM's individual instructions to close down always and that means they will close down whoever has the ball and there will be no need to change opp ins.

That's true of "showing onto weaker foot", but the rest of the opp ins can be set in one go with your team instruction e.g. set your tactics as hard tackling/always closing down and it means all players will be on the receiving end of a hard tackle/closed down always, and there is no need to change the opp ins.

I really don't like this feature tbh, I never used it in 08 and as the OP says it is far too time consuming to be bothered with in 09.

Yup I agree with you on the team instructions however my opposition instruction goes something like this..

Both Strikers: hard tackle and show on weak foot..

AMC: close down always, hard tackle..

AML: Close down always and show on weaker foot..

Rest will be normal team instructions whatever they are. so I really don’t want to set my whole team to hard tackles as they will be doing this to all players, I don’t want them to close down every player but only the ones who have the potential to cause problems.

Also opposition instructions has a great advantage if used properly :)

Same here with the Ass Man thing, but I just can't be bothered :D I'm the boss so I know better than him.

It's one of those FM superstitions for me, and it seems that whatever I set as an opp ins the complete opposite happens i.e. close down ST and all of a sudden he has the ball every two mins and nobody closes him down :rolleyes:

i wonder is there could be a shortcut to implementing the assmans suggestions such as clicking on them or ticking a box next to the ones you want. beats having to write them down or go back and forth between menus.

i wonder is there could be a shortcut to implementing the assmans suggestions such as clicking on them or ticking a box next to the ones you want. beats having to write them down or go back and forth between menus.

McB that occured to me the moment I noticed his suggestions. A checkbox next to each of his suggestions would be great. It's like you'd be telling him "yeah, I agree, go tell the players". Also this should show up BEFORE kickoff.

I've always done most of these myself, but this would save so much time and hassle. And the assistant manager could actually do his job and assist for once.

Make it SO SI.

What I'd like is to be able to save a couple sets of Oppo. Instructions - possibly as part of my tactic, or possibly as a separate item that I could load/save apart from my tactic.

Typically, when I'm chasing a match, I want "Closing Down Always" on the oppo. GK, DCs, and FBs.

My "standard" approach has "Closing Down Always" on the oppo. DCs, "Weaker Foot" for fullbacks, wingers, and strikers, and "Tight Marking" for central midfielders.

My "defending a lead" approach drops it to "Weaker Foot" for fullbacks, wingers, and strikers.

If I could quickly toggle between those three, and then modify to suit individuals, that would help a lot.

Also, how about not resetting them to "No Instruction" whenever I load a tactic? I do that maybe four or five times during the course of each match .. and have to re-enter my Oppo. Instructions each time. Frustrating!!

Multi-select would be nice.

How about showing something more like choosing your penalty takers? Toggle four different tabs, each tab shows position, name, three relevant attributes, and the current setting.

E.g., "Closing Down Always" might show Anticipation, Composure, and Long Shots, for each player, along with the current setting for them.

"Tight Marking" might show Acceleration, Pace, and Off The Ball.

"Weaker Foot" might show the player's rating for Left Foot, Right Foot, and Finishing.

"Tackling" might show the player's Aggression, Bravery, and Strength.

Something like that, anyways. Then it would be quicker than clicking into each oppo. player each match looking for the attributes I care about on a given setting.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amaroq

Also, how about not resetting them to "No Instruction" whenever I load a tactic? I do that maybe four or five times during the course of each match .. and have to re-enter my Oppo. Instructions each time. Frustrating!!

Incredibly. :mad:

Very. Should stay the same when loading a tactic, and have a "clear" button to clear them all. Another great touch would be being able to save your opp.intructions somehow, but I see how that can be challenging considering different formations. Should definitely be able to select more players at once to make a certain instruction for, though....

An additional frustration is man-marking. If the oppo have one small nippy striker and one lumbering tall guy, I'll pick my DCs to man-mark - quick for quick, and tall for tall. When the oppo strikers switch position my defenders ought to have the nous to switch too and maintain the same man-marking, but they don't, so my slow defender ends up marking the speedie oppo and they score before I can alter [shout] instructions. The man-marking instrucs should stay for the same player even when the AI manager moves him. :mad:

An additional frustration is man-marking. If the oppo have one small nippy striker and one lumbering tall guy, I'll pick my DCs to man-mark - quick for quick, and tall for tall. When the oppo strikers switch position my defenders ought to have the nous to switch too and maintain the same man-marking, but they don't, so my slow defender ends up marking the speedie oppo and they score before I can alter [shout] instructions. The man-marking instrucs should stay for the same player even when the AI manager moves him. :mad:

Definitely - if you're using "Explicit Man Marking", that should stick.

More important, though - I'd really like to be able to say "I want you to switch positions on the pitch but not instructions, based on where the opposition strikers are."

This only comes up often for the two central defenders - but it could also come up for my two central midfielders.

Look, I want A (quick) to mark X (pacey), and B (tall) to mark Y (target man). However, I also want B to come forward on corner kicks, and A to stay back. I don't flippin' care whether A or B are on the left side or the right side of my formation .. but I want them to switch sides if X and Y switch sides.

Instead, it feels like when the opposition line up for, say, a goal kick, their position within my formation is considered the primary instruction, and they adopt the "wrong" side. Once the ball is in play, the "marking" instruction then causes my two defenders to switch sides .. which temporarily leaves both strikers unmarked...

The AI does this "to me" when they use the "Swap Position" instruction between their two strikers. Fine. But there's no solid way for me to address this in the UI: if I leave my defenders with a simple explicit man-mark instruction, then A remains trying to mark X, but X is now on the wrong side of the formation for him to easily cover.

If, however, I set my defenders to "Swap Position", they also swap all of their other instructions .. so A starts coming forward on corner kicks, and switches whom he's trying to mark. Now he's trying to mark Y, and Y is still on the wrong of the formation from him!

Its pretty untenable - I wind up finding myself unable to use explicit man marking from DC to ST, period.

Definitely - if you're using "Explicit Man Marking", that should stick.

More important, though - I'd really like to be able to say "I want you to switch positions on the pitch but not instructions, based on where the opposition strikers are."

This only comes up often for the two central defenders - but it could also come up for my two central midfielders.

Look, I want A (quick) to mark X (pacey), and B (tall) to mark Y (target man). However, I also want B to come forward on corner kicks, and A to stay back. I don't flippin' care whether A or B are on the left side or the right side of my formation .. but I want them to switch sides if X and Y switch sides.

Instead, it feels like when the opposition line up for, say, a goal kick, their position within my formation is considered the primary instruction, and they adopt the "wrong" side. Once the ball is in play, the "marking" instruction then causes my two defenders to switch sides .. which temporarily leaves both strikers unmarked...

The AI does this "to me" when they use the "Swap Position" instruction between their two strikers. Fine. But there's no solid way for me to address this in the UI: if I leave my defenders with a simple explicit man-mark instruction, then A remains trying to mark X, but X is now on the wrong side of the formation for him to easily cover.

If, however, I set my defenders to "Swap Position", they also swap all of their other instructions .. so A starts coming forward on corner kicks, and switches whom he's trying to mark. Now he's trying to mark Y, and Y is still on the wrong of the formation from him!

Its pretty untenable - I wind up finding myself unable to use explicit man marking from DC to ST, period.

Yes, that's exactly my issue Amaroq. Maybe for FM10, huh? :(

There should be 5 small colums next to players names

like this

........ol/l/either/r/or

Kaka.........x

ol - only left

l - left

either

r - right

or - only right

In most cases i know what player i want to close down or tight mark, but i cant always remember with wich foot he plays, and it's very frustrating to look at every single player to make shure with wich foot he plays. This should be shown next to his name, and like a tick box.

This is not the only stupid thing. Yesterday i had to scout about 100 players from a shortlist. Why for the love of god i cant sellect them all and in one click assign my scout to scout them.

The same goes with player interaction. I have to ask him for a player recomendation. Then confirm. Then again select player interaction to ask him about the coach recomendation, then confirm. Then again select player interaction to tell him that he tries killer ball, then confirm. Why, why, why cant i yust select everything at once and confirm, so i dont have to loose my eyesight, and my whole day to do something so simple.

These few problems are the worst thing in this game, and should be fixed.

What I want to see if the ability to "click" on your AM's recommendation and set it automatically.

Like when negotiating a player's contract. He'll tell you he wants a 3 year contract, 120k in wages and 6m signing fee. You can click on those numbers and it'll be automatically set.

Or have the option to let your AM handle OI haha

OI, time consuming, rsi inducing, non-user friendly.

e.g

Before match,

I study the opposition and set OI accordingly,

Start match in standard formation,

Assistant manager gives advice on x player,

Change x players OI,

Change standard formation to a defensive/attacking formation,

Redo all OI,

Sub 1 comes on,

Apply Sub 1 OI,

Change formation to a control/sus formation,

Redo all OI,

Sub 2 comes on,

Apply sub 2 OI,

Sub 3 comes on,

Apply sub 3 OI.

Thats usually the minimum amount of OI changes during a match. It actually feels like I'm being punished for using more than one tactic. :mad:

What I don't get is why would you deliberately show someone onto their stronger foot? Surely showing onto weaker foot is always what you do.

Think about it a bit - its especially useful for forcing opposition wingers to cut in, or drift wide. If youre defence is better dealing at crosses, you want the wingers drifting wide. If they're better dealing with players running at them, force the wingers inwards.

You can, use team instructions.

Opposition instructions are for bypassing your normal team instructions.

I normally use them against knackered players, or heavy closing down of particular threats, hard tackling on good strikers, weaker foot on very one footed players etc.

The other frustration that I had with OI in FM'08 was about the detail control of the "Closing Down" instruction.

When the opposition has a midfielder with lethal Long Shots, I want to close him down from about 18-35 yards out. However, I also want my two central defenders to mark the strikers.

"Closing Down: Always" is far too aggressive for that.

First, my midfielders will try to close him down in his own area, or at the midfield circle, which isn't really what I want. I'm willing to have them drop off of him, and simply stay goalside of him, at that range.

Once he's past them, and entering that 30-35 yard range, one of my central defenders will decide that he needs to Close Down.

That leaves his striker unmarked, and said midfielder is often a talented passer. He invariably exploits the opening with a great through ball if either striker is unmarked momentarily!

I'd rather see the "Closing Down" OI given a bit more gradiation. I want to be able to say:

- "Rush after any backpass to him", e.g., for a goalkeeper or a central defender

- "Close Down all over the pitch", e.g., for a fullback or central defender.

- "Close Down from the halfway line", e.g., for a winger who is a threat to RWB

- "Close Down to prevent long range shots", e.g., for a Long Shots 20 artiste, any position

- "Close Down only in the box", e.g., for a striker

Also

- "Close Down with two players" - for truly threatening players

Then I might want to have a normal individual instruction for my players, maybe "Ignore OI Closing Down". I'd even be content with un-ticked Closing Down (team) players adopting the OI closing down, and ticked Closing Down (individual) players ignoring it.

Archived