FM09 demo: Great Britain nationality?

so, lets say in 5 years time he gets this GB nationality. will he be able to play for England?

He would be able to play for Scotland, England and Wales as they are part of Great Britain and one passport covers the 3 nations. Not sure about N. Ireland though as its covered by the same passport (but under The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland).

After 5 years they will get Great Britain as a nationality, but still will not be eligible to play for any of those countries. SI said that these two things are seperate now, for instance in Spain, once they have played there long enough and get a Spanish passport they wont be considered "foreign" anymore and you will get that foreign spot back in your team, but it could take another couple of years (depending on each countries specific rules) for them to be considered eligible to be called up to the national team.

I was sort of expecting a seperate part telling you how long till they are eligible to switch allegiances, but that seems to be absent. So I don't know how we are supposed to know if we are a national team manager.

If you can try and decipher this post then it's a pretty simple system, but I'm sure someone from SI can explain it much better.

• 4 weeks later...

Could somebody clear my international situation up.

I was born in Gibraltar, but have lived in England all my life and I hold a British Passport. Since my country of birth is Gibraltar I could play for them, but my understanding is my 2nd country is Great Britain, so I could also play for anyone of the home nations.

Another example would be Kolo Toure. During the early part of the game in FM09 he takes up British nationallity. If he had not already decided to play for the country of his birth could he take his pick as to which of the home nations he played for, England, Scotland, Wales, N Ireland?

Could somebody clear my international situation up.

I was born in Gibraltar, but have lived in England all my life and I hold a British Passport. Since my country of birth is Gibraltar I could play for them, but my understanding is my 2nd country is Great Britain, so I could also play for anyone of the home nations.

Another example would be Kolo Toure. During the early part of the game in FM09 he takes up British nationallity. If he had not already decided to play for the country of his birth could he take his pick as to which of the home nations he played for, England, Scotland, Wales, N Ireland?

I think you've probably got more chance of playing for Gibraltar (if they actually have a team?). I'm not sure about the rules. I would expect that if you moved to England as a child you could be considered English. Especially in your case in that you were born in British territory.

Edit: After a brief bit of googling, I found the following:

The associations of these four countries entered an agreement regarding international eligibility in 1993 which provides that a player holding a British passport is eligible to play for the country of his birth, the country of the birth of either of his natural parents or the country of birth of any of his natural grandparents. If the player, his natural parents and his natural grandparents were born outside the U.K., he may play for the home country of his choice. Our understanding is that once a player has played for one of the home countries, even if it is only a friendly match, the 1993 agreement precludes him playing for another home country. The FIFA rule change for players under 21 must be followed in the U.K., however. Under U.K. law, a player (or anyone, for that matter) who was born abroad becomes eligible for a British passport after five years of lawful residence in the country, and he thus becomes eligible to play for one of the home countries provided he has not played for another national side in official competition.

It remains to be seen whether the second sentence of paragraph 1 of new Article 15--"The Executive Committee shall decide on the conditions of eligibility for any Player whose nationality entitles him to represent more than one Association"--carries any effect on the U.K. arrangement. Under old Article 18, FIFA left nationality entirely to the laws of its member nations, but the new Article 15 seems to reserve a measure of power in FIFA's Executive Committee where a player's nationality entitles him to play for more than one national side.

The football associations of the home countries have long allowed young players to appear at schoolboy level for the national side of the home country in which they live regardless of whether they would be eligible to play for that country's national side at a higher level and then to switch to another home country's higher level national side provided they are eligible. Ryan Giggs, for example, played for England Schoolboys because he lived in England although he was not eligible to play for England at a higher level. Later he played for Wales' senior side, for which he was eligible through both his own birthplace and family ancestry. And Bob Wilson, the old Arsenal goalkeeper, played for England Schoolboys but later was capped at senior level by Scotland, for which he was eligible through family ancestry although he was born in England and thus could have played for England had he ever been selected.

... so I think you get to choose.

Is there a way within the game to ensure a player will choose a particular nationality above another as happend irl?

This is particularly interesting with regens. I am one for having this implemented at some stage, maybe in future editions. the ability to enourage a player to choose a nationality. It could go something like this.

Encourage player X to play for country y in the player interaction options.

The following reasons would then be given.

1. You would have a better chance of an international career.

2. I need you to gain EU nationality (if this applies), get it or you're out!

3. You deserve to give something back to country y.

4. I dont think it would be advantageous to change nationality.

Option 4 would be given if a player was eligible to change but you didn't want him to. These options would also have an impact on the player wanting to represent a particular country above another.

Archived