Longest Without Winning Run

I note from the other thread that there are people telling of there longest winning runs.

Are we all alike in the fact that we have never lasted that long without winning games before either restarting the saved game or getting sacked.

Or is there someone out there with a not so impressive managerial record.

It all depends on what you're enjoying in your save-game. My current save I'm in a promotion battle .. but on a previous save, I was playing a just-promoted-to-the-Croatian-Premier-League team that was all but incapable of staying up. Trying to get them out of 12th place and into 11th, where I could qualify for the playoffs, was a tremendously enjoyable challenge. I don't know the exact number, but I went somewhere around 20 to 24 league matches without a win .. (oddly, while making a great Cup run?) .. when I finally got one, I was over the moon, and did in fact work my way up into eleventh at season's end. :cool:

Didn't win the playoffs, though!

Can't say that I can remember my longest winless run. More often I tend to just have a run of bad form punctuated by a surprise win somewhere in the middle. I think I did go 9 without a win with Hibernian though towards the start of my first season. Won my first two games of the season and was thinking life was great and then we still only had 2 wins after 11 games :p

In the first year after promotion to the premiership with Brentford, is probably the longest one I can remember.

It was August 2047.

I'd had an excellent pre season, recording rome big wins against the top Italian clubs.

Of course, frendlies mean nothing, but it certainly put me in a good frame of mind for the season ahead.

Brentford's fist match in the Premiership for over 30 years was against Stoke, who had narrowly survived the drop the year before.

A 2-1 win - not a comprehensive victory - but we looked comfortable.

"This is going to be easy" - I thought.

Our next game was at home to Crewe, and seemingly bankers against West Ham and Preston coming up, there's nothing like an easy start to set yourself up for the season.

We didn't beat Crewe.

We didn't get a point off West Ham or Preston.

It would be nineteen games until we won again.

To put it into perspective, that's a winless streak starting after the first game of the season, and ending the game before Christmas.

Miles off the pace - even to be in competition for survival, a complete tactical re-think was required.

In the season before promotion, and with my summer transfer window activity I considered my highly talented strikeforce to be my main asset.

That, and the fact that it was the only part of my squad containig any real depth, left me loath to drop down to a single striker.

But the stats were speaking for themselves. The team as a whole hadn't even managed to get a goal tally in the double figures.

Rock bottom at xmas, I bit the bullet, and dropped to a single striker to bolster the midfield.

What the hell - if it didn't work, I was hardly losing much threat up front.

Results immediately began to pick up.

It wasn't wall to wall wins, but I was picking a few up here and there, and was gradually pulling myself back into the fight for survival (although another 7-game winless and almost pointless streak as the season was nearing its climax didn't help - but at least I was playing more illustrious competition - and Cambridge United).

With two games to go, incredibly, I was still in with a chance for survival.

Plymouth were the other team battling with me for the last spot to stay in next year's premiership.

As chance would have it, I would be facing Plymouth at home in the next match.

It ran like this:

If I beat Plymouth and then followed up with a victory on the monday against Coventry on the Monday, then I'd be going up.

Plymouth were playing their last match, but being the proverbial six pointer that it was - only needed to play for a draw to ensure their survival.

People often say in football that the bottom team at Christmas always goes down.

People often say in football that 40 points will ensure premiership survival.

I had turned a horrific first half of the season int one tiny thread of hope for survival.

I needed a win, Plymouth only needed the draw.

In the end Plymouth won 3-0, I finished on 39 points and went down and it didn't matter that I beat Coventry on the Monday.

Still, it felt lie a victory of sorts from going from zero hope, after starting out with an 18 game winless streak, to in with a chance at the end of the season.

We may have been relegated, but I kept my job and lived on to fight another day...

On FM07, I was offered a job at Newcastle, and accepted it without hesitation.

Within 6 months, I was sitting on an 19 match losing streak, scoring a total of 8 goals, and conceeding 30-odds.

Newcastle was a bad job.

Is that you Gullit?

About 15 matches in a row on my first stint at LLM with Forest Green.

I had never experienced anything like it in all my life.

Was almost crying my eyes out in anger and frustration! :D

I don't go down there any more, I like my laptop too much.

Currently, I've been winless in 19 at Blyth in the BSN. This is over the course of two seasons. Season One, I inherited a team near relegation and staved off relegation only by goal differential. I had organized some friendlies against the national england teams in that league called (NPL) or something like that...essentially the league below ours because I wanted to test all my players on the roster before the end of season cuts needed to be made before all the one year contracts ran out. I was winless in those matches too.

The following preseason with many new players, I was winless in all those friendlies and continued my winless run to where it currently stands (19). I face Bedford next and am hoping for a minor miracle.

On FM07, I was offered a job at Newcastle, and accepted it without hesitation.

Within 6 months, I was sitting on an 19 match losing streak, scoring a total of 8 goals, and conceeding 30-odds.

Newcastle was a bad job.

i did it the other way round. i took the newcastle job after they were relegated to the championship and won 5/6 games. i got bored of it and left them top of the championship.

the ai manager lost every single game after i left and they were relegated to league 1 (40 games).

that was maybe on fm06...

Archived