Team of has-beens?

Was looking through some of my old transfers (players I've since sold or released) to find Fabio Aurelio still playing regularly for Modena. I was quite pleased for him, seeing as he's now 34 and was a great servant during his time at my Reading side (aged 29-33). So I checked out Modena's squad and what quite astounded to see the amount of golden oldies in their team!

The current Modena squad can be found here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/ssjcazza/old_team.jpg

I was even more surprised to see that pretty much all of them were signed the summer just passed!

They even released a now 36-year-old Simone Perrotta in the summer too.

They also signed a 33-year old Mancini in January, alongside a 33-year old Mladen Petric (played for Dortmund, has 54 Croatian caps in game)

Modena transfers (2013/2014): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v241/ssjcazza/old_team_transfers.jpg

Apologies for starting two threads within about 20 minutes, I've had these screenshots for a few days and only just got round to posting them.

Never seen something like that before! I always like to look back at former players to see how they've been doing, can be quite interesting to see what they get up to.

I wonder whether its been programmed into the game for a smaller team to take this type of approach to signing older players?

I think it was CM 03/04 or maybe FM05 one of the two. If i started as a lower team id sign 35+ unattached players to get up the leagues. Always mind of having Andy Goram in goal and a number of other ex talents from the 90's. Great team i built then had no players after 3 seasons and two promotions. Had to replace the whole squad. I remember my Peterhead side got stuck in the first division for 5 years because of this. Finally got them promoted and then left.

LOL what a cracking team for Modena. Are they in Serie A with them? Any chance of letting us know how they get on this season?

Definitely not. No squad in Serie A would build a backbone of such age in the game...

And Claude Davis. :D

I think that everyone would prefer to have a more youthful team, but in the lower leagues it does somtimes work to gather a bunch of steady old pro's to move you up the table or the leagues.

But if you rely on them too much you do get your fingers burnt when you realise that most of your team are using zimmerframes to get around the training ground and the youngsters can't play to save their lives!

At the start of every game I always do a player search on free transfers and filter it by International caps to see if anyone is worth taking on for a season or so.

When I had a career game going I ended up at a bottom of the table Birmingham after getting bored of winning everything with Liverpool so I signed Ronaldinho,Esteban Cambiasso,Julia Baptista & Sammy Eto and pulled myself up to mid table with these players alone - This was 2014 IIRC.

This is odd as Modena aren't in an active league as seen in the screenshot so it is bizare them signing players at all especially these older ones. In older versions of the game older players would work but on fm08 the older players attributes seem to drop so quickly you can't really do it.

Looks like it's not in an active league. If it was, these players would be mostly in single figures for their physical attributes. If it was an active/playable league, I really doubt you'd see this. Players over 33 seem to struggle in League 1 in England so I doubt serie A or B would accomodate them. Always interesting to see what happens to older players, tho. I enjoy seeing players like Shevchenko and Thierry Henry still playing on. One of the more extreme was seeing Joe Cole released by Chelsea (me) aged 33 sign for newly promoted Crystal Palace, stuck with them through relegation twice in a row to L1 before retiring aged 35. I think his wages meant Palace had to sell everyone else who was any good.

What is the average age of their squad?

Average age is 31.

As already pointed out, they're not in an active league, but I'm only running Serie A, so they could well be in Serie B. They're value is £10.25m according to the club information screen.

If it was, these players would be mostly in single figures for their physical attributes.

Oh, they are!

I tried an experiment which didn't quite come off. My idea was to sign up on a 6 month or 1 year contract old legends who's be happy to be back-up (so never play) and on low salaries, just to tutor my kids - sort of quasi-coaches. These are guys aged about 38-40 with loads of PPMs and high mental attributes.

It worked up to a point - a few of them tutored some youngsters but for some reason most of them were never listed as potential tutors in the youngster's drop-down menus. Not sure why.

Archived